• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I get it, girl power and believing in the power of girls. I think I'd take the series more seriously if they dropped that routine.

CGI was a big improvement from last week's. Maxwell Lord is Tony Stark... greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Ratings should be out within the next couple hours.

Like I get it, girl power and believing in the power of girls. I think I'd take the series more seriously if they dropped that routine.

CGI was a big improvement from last week's. Maxwell Lord is Tony Stark... greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Nah, he's Lex Luthor.

Just started watching it.

Why doesn't Kara, go after Reactron? Just let this dangerous psycho fly off...? And since when does a car door have better armor than a Krptonian?

Since when does Kara work for DEO? I keep waiting for her to tell Henshaw to fuck off "I dont need your permission because I don't work for you."

The same reason the flash doesn't chase after people when he first meets them. Or never uses his super speed to run up and punch people. They always have to science their way out or come up with new moves.

Pilgrimzero

Little did Clark and Kara realize that Cat has all inner-officer computer communication monitored and they just gave away their secret IDs over chat IMs.

Sorry for the bad quality. Don't know what happened.

uEQPwuE.gif

I love how they both just let him fly off.

They really needed to tone down the "not even Superman could have beat Reactron stuff" because what we saw really didn't sell that.

wildfire

Banned
He is already a dick

No, that's Harry.

Now the NSA knows Clark is Superman.

Sure hope that Catco doesn't maintain server logs...

LOL The first was exactly what I was thinking. It's not like a government agency on tracking extraterrestrial threats is going to share confidential information with an agency dealing with domestic threats. The server logs is a really good point I never thought of.

Hopefully all the bullshit is now over.
It didn't bother me before but it seems like the episodes so far have all just been "I'm not Superman! I'm Supergirl! I'm a girl I can still kickass!"
Like, I get the point.

I seriously don't get why there aren't more complaints about Man of Steel envy. Every episode so far Kat Grant is complaining about being second rate to Daily Planet. It's annoying me how much they insert dialogue that says

"We wish we could do Superman but we'll all have to settle for Supergirl."

An okay episode.

One thing that amused me is that Kara was chatting with Clark on a Microsoft Surface [Pro] 3 tablet, yet since Microsoft clearly hasn't paid for advertising, they intentionally obscured the word Surface on its kickstand, and whited out the Windows button to look like a white button.

That's interesting. It's understandable but I'm surprised they had those items as assets instead of loaners.

It's funny to see Superman using emoticons. I thought he would be too oldschool to do that.

Clark used :)

He IS old school.
twitch_emoticon___elegiggle_by_centaurman_plz-d8qd98k.png

I don't know where the complaints about girl power are coming from for this episode, it wasn't even mentioned much.

After James calls Superman, Max dancing with Cat, EVERY THING TO DO WITH SUPERMAN.

They need to stop trying to sell her as a super hero because we know she is. She would be a better character if she talked about her skills and not her gender.

I love how they both just let him fly off.

They really needed to tone down the "not even Superman could have beat Reactron stuff" because what we saw really didn't sell that.

I just find it funny how fast his ass gets out of there as soon as Superman arrives. Spends the whole episode talking shit about how he's going to get back at Superman.

Not sure if it has been asked before, but is Director Henshaw actually Martian Manhunter?

Names don't mean so much on these shows. He could be anyone. His identity in the comics seems a bit too ambitious for the show so I'm doubting they'll go that direction, but it would be amazing if they did.

J'onn is one of the guest characters I want to see on the show, but I still think he'll be in the DCEU in some fashion. Even if he's not part of the league I could easily see him popping up in a Superman film.

Hopefully all the bullshit is now over.
It didn't bother me before but it seems like the episodes so far have all just been "I'm not Superman! I'm Supergirl! I'm a girl I can still kickass!"
Like, I get the point.

I think that will be a recurring theme until season one is over. I don't mind the theme itself but they really need to show his face because it's quickly becoming hilarious and out of place. I really hope the writers were fully aware of whether or not the could use Superman in full before they went this route and this is just... awkward.

ryan299

How have the ratings for this show been? Good odds of it getting a second season?

Ratings dropped again. A drop of 4 million between the pilot and episode 2. No numbers given except for 1.7 in the key ratio a .5 drop from the prior week. Hollywood Reporter

On CBS, Supergirl continued its decent from October's lofty premiere. Still among the top 5 broadcast series of the night, it shed another half of a point with adults 18-49 for an average 1.7 rating. The first few episodes' worth of live-plus-seven day ratings, which will start to roll in later in November, will tell how much of an audience the series is recouping with time-shifting — as is often the case with genre fare.

I just don't see this show putting up big numbers for CBS.

wildfire

Banned
Ratings dropped again. A drop of 4 million between the pilot and episode 2. No numbers given except for 1.7 in the key ratio a .5 drop from the prior week. Hollywood Reporter

I just don't see this show putting up big numbers for CBS.

THe amount of buzz on this forum already tells me enough. People aren't talking about like they did with Flash and Arrow season 1 and it certainly hasn't earned a reason for that much discussion.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I get that she is inexperienced, but any reason why Kara is so damn slow and weak?

She got knocked the fuck out by a few of those radiation blasts whereas Superman just swooped in, tanked them without flinching and made Reactron fly away like a bitch.

Does she wear too much sunblock or something?

The excuse is that she's inexperienced. In reality, the only way you can make someone like Reactron a threat to a Kryptonian is by dumbing them down. Not like she can fight Darkseid and Doomsday every week.

I want to know how Reactron almost killed Clark when he showed up and tanked that blast like it was nothing.

Oddduck

THe amount of buzz on this forum already tells me enough. People aren't talking about like they did with Flash and Arrow season 1 and it certainly hasn't earned a reason for that much discussion.

None of the DC or Marvel shows are doing a 2.0 right now in the ratings.

The big problem with most comic book shows is many young people don't watch them live. They'll DVR them, wait for the episode to be available on hulu, or they'll wait until the season comes to netflix so they can binge em.

Everyone expected gotham to crash and burn in the ratings when supergirl came out. But as it turns out, gotham's ratings actually went up during supergirl's first two episodes. It was a really stupid decision to pit two dc comic shows against each other in the same timeslot. T

That is not good, not horrible but not good after three episodes, especially the 18-34 demo, .9 is on par with Arrow and well behind The Flash which might be dispelling the idea that CW shows are being held back by being on the CW. CBS really is the network old people just turn on and leave it there.

emlZavp.png

Hopefully it stabilizes and doesn't go lower and just goes between that 1.7 and a 2.0+ but I got a feeling people who could be dropping are already losing interest due to how the show is being written. Their bringing up Superman every five minutes does not help.

Joni

That is not good, especially the 18-34 demo, .9 is on par with Arrow and well behind The Flash which might be dispelling the idea that CW shows are being held back by being on the CW. CBS really is the network old people just turn on and leave it there.

emlZavp.png

The 1.7 is the number you want. The Flash puts up a 1.2 in 18-34 and a 1.5 in 18-49. Arrow did a 0.9 18-34 and a 1.0 in 18-49. So Supergirl gets more eyes in 35-49.

It doesn't help that it goes up against The Voice. I don't think the competition any of the other superhero shows have are quite to that level.

I have to watch this show with The Voice blaring from the TVs upstairs.

Raistlin

I just find it funny how fast his ass gets out of there as soon as Superman arrives. Spends the whole episode talking shit about how he's going to get back at Superman.
To be fair, I'm sure he knows he'd be occupied by Supes while Kara recovers. No way in heck he wants to risk battling both.

Not sure that is a good measure though. This show obviously skews more family / kid friendly, so I wouldn't expect the same level of GAF interaction given the demos.

The 1.7 is the number you want. The Flash puts up a 1.2 in 18-34 and a 1.5 in 18-49. Arrow did a 0.9 18-34 and a 1.0 in 18-49. So Supergirl gets more eyes in 35-49.

I know 18-49 is the primary demo but CBS's interest in Supergirl was in attracting a younger audience than they normally do, especially in the 18-34 demo and it's not really doing that which is my point.

Chariot

These guys are terrible at keeping secrets, it's only episode three and those people are blabbering secrets out like nothing. Get it together Supercrew! And what is with this guy in the background watching the telly:
How about moving a bit to the side.

But I liked Reactrons design and the plot. Only her boss is getting on my nerves. Seriously, please don't be so obvious about her and what she embodies. It makes me cringe and roll my eyes.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
These guys are terrible at keeping secrets, it's only episode three and those people are blabbering secrets out like nothing. Get it together Supercrew! And what is with this guy in the background watching the telly:
How about moving a bit to the side.

That' actually Clark checking in on Kara.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
is this connected to any of the other DC tv shows or is it its own universe?

Currently, there is no reason to believe it is. Superman has never been explicitly addressed on Flash or Arrow, and I haven't seen any mentions of either of them in Supergirl.

They could...but honestly it might be for the best to keep this separate because of Superman.

wildfire

Banned
Not sure that is a good measure though. This show obviously skews more family / kid friendly, so I wouldn't expect the same level of GAF interaction given the demos.

It's not a good measure for general purposes but this forum is heavily inclined towards comic book culture in the past few years I think it's good enough to say Supergirl has trouble even attracting the enthusiast community.

This is CBS though. ABC, NBC and CBS have bigger presence than Fox and all four dwarf the other public channels. This doesn't look like a solid rating for a network of their size.

Currently, there is no reason to believe it is. Superman has never been explicitly addressed on Flash or Arrow, and I haven't seen any mentions of either of them in Supergirl.

They could...but honestly it might be for the best to keep this separate because of Superman.
didn't green arrow or the flash introduce the multiverse or something like that?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
didn't green arrow or the flash introduce the multiverse or something like that?

Flash did. So you could have Supergirl be from one of those other universes so they don't constantly have to address why Superman and Supergirl have never been talked about. The concept of metahumans was a pretty recent revelation for the general public in Flash and Arrow.

They're all under the Berlanti umbrella, so if everyone was interested, they could do it.

Putting Supergirl into the Arrowverse would require a fairly serious retcon. Superman flat out does not exist in the Arrow/Flash universe, super powers (not counting the Mirakuru people) didn't exist until the first season of The Flash and that was firmly established.

Flash doing some multiverse hopping aside the only way they'll ever share the same universe is if they end up doing a Crisis event that merges the universes.

Joni

It's not a good measure for general purposes but this forum is heavily inclined towards comic book culture in the past few years I think it's good enough to say Supergirl has trouble even attracting the enthusiast community.

This is CBS though. ABC, NBC and CBS have bigger presence than Fox and all four dwarf the other public channels. This doesn't look like a solid rating for a network of their size.
Of course but it shows that there might be aan audience for a show like this that doesn't watch the CW. Basically the CW shows could attract a bit more people based on these numbers independent from renewal chance.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Dear god can a whole fifteen seconds go by without an 'this is my story' or 'im still trying to figure out who i am'.

Toa TAK

Banned
I don't really mind so much that everyone is comparing her to Superman. It's going to be a huge obstacle for her to get over and I think that's the point. I enjoyed the episode, as the others so far. Show gives me a Raimi/Tobey Spidey for Kara kinda vibe that I like.

Skux

The show gets more live viewers than Arrow and Flash combined, they just aren't on internet forums talking about it.

KevinCow

Banned
How come nobody in the show seems interested in the fact that REACTRON BUILT A SUIT OF POWER ARMOR THAT CAN TAKE ON SUPERMAN? Like that should be a pretty big deal, right?

mreddie

To be honest, when I heard this would be disconnected from the CW shows, my interest dropped, it had a okay pilot but so far, it's eh...

Also Superman making cameos is really eyerolling.

Watch Kara make a surprise cameo in the Flash/Arrow crossover.

Only watched the pilot so far but from what I hear the Superman thing is still an issue? I still don't understand why they had him exist in the 1st place, all it does it create problems.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I'm enjoying the first few episodes. I think we were all spoiled at how good Flash was out of the gate - but Supergirl itself is pretty decent, and they're doing a good job of using these first few episodes to flesh out some obvious plot holes (IE, why doesn't Superman show up more often, etc).

The "girl power" thing is a little ham-handed / awkwardly done - but I get that I'm not the target demographic for that, so it doesn't really bother me. Plus I think they are being very basic and very handed with everything (identity issues, etc) just to get the future episodes set up.

Excited to see the show develop and where they go from here.

I can't really tell you why I enjoy this show so much. It's not terrible, but it's not great, just entertaining in the way. It's not dumb, but it's not especially clever.

I'm not in the target demo but the girlpower stuff doesn't bother me so much. I think they way they deal with that by having Kara and Cat debate is fine.

James and the not remotely interesting Dude Felicity in his broom closet lair just seem to have no personality. James is perfect and the other guy is, I dunno what he's meant to be.

It is rather inept with its plotting. Dialogue isn't terribad like a Syfy show or anything, but it isn't on the level of Flash or Arrow, even in their first seasons. The bullshit over not showing Superman seems ridiculous considering DC are fine to have two different versions of The Flash (one in the upcoming movie and the current TV show). I'd say grow a pair and just have him in there as a bit of an asshole. Maybe WB have Cavill guesting before BvS hits.

Those LA exteriors are so bright compared to the moody Vancouver locales in Flash and Arrow. FX are okay but since they're not all that ambitious, I won't complain.

Cast is spottyL Benoist, Callista Flockhart and the english dude playing the DEO head are good. James, Dude Felicity and the sister are just a bit dull so far. Not a lot of charisma yet.

It can't just be because Benoist is cute. It can't be. Surely not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom