• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if they were forced to include Superman because of the DC movies coming out?

The movies are why they can't actually cast someone (I'm not counting the stand in they're using) and actually use him so they're doing all these things to skirt around him.

The whole issue is ridiculous with WB.
Arrow = can't reference Gotham City at all, long before the series was developed.
Flash = direct Wayne Enterprises reference in the pilot.

How did they even get permission to do a Flash series with WB knowing he was basically the #2 lock for a movie after a Batman reboot.

Superman WB really shouldn't worry about, movies will always be a better fit for him than tv. You don't lose much with a tv Superman.
Batman on the other hand makes sense, Arrow(regardless of acting,writing and season 3) proves Batman can be done absolutely perfectly on tv and not require a movie for very much.
Gotham adds to that as a near perfect representation of Batman's world.
If Gotham or Arrow were Batman other than Batman vs Superman or Justice League why would you even really need to go out and pay to see a 2hour Batman movie with an hour of Batman every week.

strafer

the whole permission thing is so alien to me.

There are in the same universe. It's a DC property.

Agents of shield mention Iron Man, Thor and other shit all the time.

WB wouldn't allow Two-Face, Scarecrow, Ra's & Talia in a Batman cartoon series for fear it would mess with Begins & TDK...
WB is weird.

WB wouldn't allow Two-Face, Scarecrow, Ra's & Talia in a Batman cartoon series for fear it would mess with Begins & TDK...
WB is weird.

The WB didn't do an Aquaman TV series because the game was currently out.
They wrote "The Death of Superman" because Lois & Clark was doing the same storyline as in the comics at the time (the wedding).

WB and DC are no stranger to reacting to the smallest shit with brand overkill.

Tabby

This is why it needed to be a goddamned continuous universe. So much confusion.

Right? When BvS comes out I'd imagine every one would just think why Superman or Batman couldn't show up.
"Oh maybe they just couldn't afford to get Cavill to come on." or something.
We don't need another damn continuity.

Joni

The whole issue is ridiculous with WB.
It is even more stupider than the examples:
Arrow S2: Can build up to Ted Kord.
Arrow S3: Can't have Ted Kord.
Arrow S4: Can build up to Ted Kord

How did they even get permission to do a Flash series with WB knowing he was basically the #2 lock for a movie after a Batman reboot.
Their creative lead who is working on both the movie and the show is a HUUUUUUUUUUGE Barry Allen fanboy.

Tabby

There is one advantage, DC has the villains to make it work.

I'm not well versed with Marvel but isn't it the same?
I was under the impression they have great villains, they're all just written 1 dimensionally and very poorly.

Joni

I'm not well versed with Marvel but isn't it the same?
I was under the impression they have great villains, they're all just written 1 dimensionally and very poorly.
I always have the idea that Marvel just doesn't have access to their memorable villains, with the X-Men and Spider-Man universe being out of the equation. Someone like Batman has probably more noticeable villains than the current Marvel movies together.

I always have the idea that Marvel just doesn't have access to their memorable villains, with the X-Men and Spider-Man universe being out of the equation. Someone like Batman has probably more noticeable villains than the current Marvel movies together.

I don't think the Spider-Man villains are completely off the table anymore. Now if they can just find a way to get those Fantastic Four ones. Not having their villains hurts Marvel.

I'm loving the relationship between Kara and Alex and her dynamic with Cat is for me far more interesting than other superhero shows similar "my boss doesn't know! lol" situations

Specifically what's great about Kara and Alex's relationship? I get it girl power ra ra! Nothing between them seems well done because they're following the cliché: "You have to have faith in me!" Alex at this point is another character Kara has to tell repeatedly to have faith.

Agents of Shield is on a network that is owned by Disney. The same company that owns Marvel. It's a bit of a different situation. Everything falls under one giant roof.

I agree that it is dumb that all of these properties can't reference one another, but its stickier when you realize that Gotham is on one Network, Flash/Arrow are on another, and Supergirl is on a third. (Yes, I know that CBS has some stake in CW too.)

Tabby

I always have the idea that Marvel just doesn't have access to their memorable villains, with the X-Men and Spider-Man universe being out of the equation.
Well even so, there's no reason why they couldn't have great villains regardless of who they're allowed to use. People say how Mister Freeze wasn't a very interesting villain until Btas.

Vegito

Banned
im really enjoying this show atm. Last episode was quite good. Definitely getting flash and arrow vibes. I think a crossover would work swimingly I think they would have to crossover with flash first though then do the team up with team arrow. Have supergirl take place in like earth 3 or something then use one of the breaches to bring her in.

Joni

Well even so, there's no reason why they couldn't have great villains regardless of who they're allowed to use. People say how Mister Freeze wasn't a very interesting villain until Btas.
Arnold Schwarzenegger already made him memorable, even if it was in a bad way.

anaron

Specifically what's great about Kara and Alex's relationship? I get it girl power ra ra! Nothing between them seems well done because they're following the cliché: "You have to have faith in me!" Alex at this point is another character Kara has to tell repeatedly to have faith.
get over this "girl power ra ra" shit, it hasn't even registered for me since the pilot.

Alex and Kara's quieter scenes such as in episode 2 drinking tea/coffee and talking over breakfast and dinner were incredibly endearing. Melissa and Chyler have fantastic chemistry and watching them just hang out and jab at eachother is adorable.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm team keep the universes separate. It would be nice if Supergirl crossed over to Flash and Arrow but keep them away from the movies and it's fine for Gotham to do it's own thing.

Also team Chyler Leigh needs a better haircut.

It wouldn't matter if Marvel Studios had access to memorable villains, they choose not to put any effort into them. Even if they had someone like Doom and cast a fantastic actor to play him, they'd still get tossed aside like all their other villains. It's all about the heroes with them. You can look at every single villain and the actor portraying them and see they could have done a lot more with them.

http://www.supergirl.tv/supergirl-ratings-gain-big-in-l-3

Ratings for the Live + 3 have come out and Supergirl gathers big gains! To further calm worries about the show's ratings, the newest data from Neilson NPM shows Supergirl among several CBS shows with awesome lift in the ratings and key demographics:

Supergirl's overall viewership skyrocketed from around 8 million viewers to 11.26 million! That's a 71% lift! Fans are continuing to watch Supergirl whether is live, DVR, or on demand, 11.26 million is nothing to frown about! Certainly nothing to cancel or move off network.

Whoever posted that sucks at math, I see it was corrected to 29% on the page though, that's not a huge DVR improvement but still good that it's over 11M.

I just realized that site isn't a part of the KSite family of sites. >_>

Magwik

Banned
Got around to watching episode 3.
Show is starting to pick up now, also it's still unexpected for them to tease Hemshaw so soon.
Also the superman texting stuff was so bizarre and cheesy.

TheOddOne

- Deadline:‘Supergirl’ & ‘NCIS: LA’ Terrorism-Themed Episodes Replaced After Paris Attacks.
CBS has opted not to air the episodes of Supergirl and NCIS: Los Angeles originally scheduled for tomorrow, Nov. 17. Other original episodes will air instead. The move was made out of sensitivity to the events in Paris as the world is still reeling from the gruesome terrorist attacks that took the lives of 129 people and left more than 300 injured.
The benched Supergirl episode had Kara dealing with bombings in the fictional National City.

I hope it gets aired soon...or at least put up online.

Anyway, I guess that explains why they put up that Livewire preview early...heh.

Edit: https://twitter.com/karterhol/status/665962597187874816
tumblr_nxvgqprz0V1u9773so1_1280.png

tumblr_nxvgqprz0V1u9773so2_1280.png

tumblr_nxvgqprz0V1u9773so3_1280.png

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
NBC did something similar during Season 1 of Hannibal. The 4th episode "Œuf" was pulled and they broke up the important story moments into clips and put it on their website. But they also had the full thing on Amazon Prime Video, as well. Hopefully CBS makes it available online for season pass holders and also puts it on their streaming service

I'm looking forward to seeing Livewire more anyway, so I'm not in a huge rush to watch the removed episode.

Skux

So will episode 4 come back in any way? I hope we get to see the original version without it being cut to pieces from editing and trying to make it work in the new continuity.

edit: I see it's just being shuffled around? It better be.

Damn... I thought they'd just push it a week, not outright toss it.

It's only been pushed :p

Monday’s planned episode of “Supergirl,” the fifth installment in freshman 8 p.m. drama, involved the title character saving the city from a series of bombings. The episode that has been swapped in, “Livewire,” revolves around her relationship with her foster mother, played by Helen Slater, who limned Supergirl in the 1984 feature.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/supergirl-ncis-la-paris-terror-attacks-episodes-cbs-1201640992/

also, here's the IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4016454/episodes?season=1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_1

I'm just gonna not watch this week and watch them in order next week.

get over this "girl power ra ra" shit, it hasn't even registered for me since the pilot.

Alex and Kara's quieter scenes such as in episode 2 drinking tea/coffee and talking over breakfast and dinner were incredibly endearing. Melissa and Chyler have fantastic chemistry and watching them just hang out and jab at eachother is adorable.

I can't take comments like these seriously because it's not about their acting, dialogue, or something substantial (that the show goes for), it's "look at how cute and adorable they are".

Veelk

Banned
I can't take comments like these seriously because it's not about their acting, dialogue, or something substantial (that the show goes for), it's "look at how cute and adorable they are".

It's a pretty unwittingly patronizing defense. Ignoring the actual characterization for the sake of aw-ing at them as if they were a bundle of kittens.

It kind of happens in Gotham as well. People hated Barbara in season 1, but now the show is capitolizing more on the actress's attractiveness, they love her. But they never say they enjoy her character, just how hot she is. It's not really a respectful compliment, especially when it's all they say.

anaron

oh shut up. Do I have to draw out a why I found sisters bickering about pot stickers, cute? It's a simple interaction over something so minuscule in a Superhero show that was made relaxing and believable due to the dialogue and familiarity between Alex and Kara. "I'll melt your face off." and "not on this planet" take on a much bigger and funnier context because they're said in a way that is technically literal and wouldn't obviously apply to a normal conversation.

To get these kind of moments in a genre show is important for general character building and levity.

Joni

I like seeing those little moments building up the character, like Diggle and Oliver sharing a drink or the sisters here hanging out. They can't just go big, the movies already go big. Going small is what makes them better.

anaron

I like seeing those little moments building up the character, like Diggle and Oliver sharing a drink or the sisters here hanging out. They can't just go big, the movies already go big. Going small is what makes them better.
Agreed!

Woooo, just finished episode 3. It was pretty good. Screw that asshole Lord guy, though. Also, I hope they don't have too much of that BS romantic drama. I ain't got time for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom