• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

Jimmy going bros with Winn?

No way. That was pretty much the same damn talk Oliver gave Tommy right before Oliver went to Laurel's and then had sex with her. With Tommy seeing them in the window with Radioactive playing.

Good ending. If not abrupt. I liked how Non and Astra are together. That ending fight was kinda brutal. People dying left and right. This felt like it was one long episode that was just split in two. I find surprising that it wasn't more self-contained.

No way. That was pretty much the same damn talk Oliver gave Tommy right before Oliver went to Laurel's and then had sex with her. With Tommy seeing them in the window with Radioactive playing.

Good ending. If not abrupt. I liked how Non and Astra are together. That ending fight was kinda brutal. People dying left and right. This felt like it was one long episode that was just split in two. I find surprising that it wasn't more self-contained.

Winn about to get Radioactive'd. Lmfao damn

Yeah, that ending just literally cut mid-charge. I'm impressed, I didn't think CBS had it in them. Then again the show has been really nicely continuous despite being somewhat self contained per ep.

Hahaha Non knocking everyone backed looked AWFUL

Yeah

Maddocks

Like how I credit Joe on the Flash for bringing the emotion and feels, I have to give it to Kara bringing the emotion and feels to this show. We need a crossover so we can have a feels off.

Astra though, she supposed to be evil and mean but I really like her character.

Xemnas89

Really liked this episode. I still think they need to work on their fights but at least the fight with Astra was better this time. I like how Cat has evolved. She seemed one dimensional at first but she's one of my favorite characters now. Not the biggest fan of the way they ended it but other than that I thought it was a great episode.

i love how they're trying to make the fights as awesome as possible despite the fact they have no money for actual cg so it all looks a bit undercooked

also that was a really bad place to end it. didn't like it when they did that in flash s1, but at least it kind of worked there. here it was just terrible.

The hell good does it do planting a bug onto the monitor?

i think the implication was that it was an all-in-one--one of those pcs where they cram the innards into a monitor to make it seem like it's as cool as an iMac even though it ends up super expensive and underpowered.

it's not like it would make sense anyways--they're stealing software by planting a piece of hardware on a random part of the mother board, which doesn't make any sense and even if it did is 1000x more complicated than a trojan horse or some other form of software.

Bug planting was dumb but the B-plot wasn't bad despite the silly bug thing, Winn is Toyman Jr. So of course he'd have something like that for some reason. Yay! For Cat figuring it out so soon. Them Kara feels though when questioning holomom. :(

Nice that "Hank" is already less of a hard ass and Astra's story has gotten more interesting now that she's not just revenge driven escaped prisoner and it makes sense since there were warnings of Krypton's demise well before it happened but they were ignored. Hopefully it's more than just some super Greenpeace extremist bent for her motivations on Earth and that there's something out there.

Skyrim

Banned
OMG best Superhero revelation. Not like Barry just giving his identity away.

Really enjoyed it.

Let's do it. Start shipping. It worked with Ollicity. Karinn

Toa TAK

Banned
OMG best Superhero revelation. Not like Barry just giving his identity away.

Really enjoyed it.

Let's do it. Start shipping. It worked with Ollicity. Karinn

Naw man, I'm still rooting for JimmyxKara.
Oh God I'm doing it again... shipping...
That said, there was a lot of energy going on in that episode:

-The music was ON POINT during that episode's climax.

-Even though the cg was poor, budget considering, I enjoyed the Astra vs Kara fight. I'm sure people died in that building, though. lol

-Kara's breakdown in the AI room.

-Martian Manhunter being noticably more chill.

-WINN, dude, don't risk it, bro. You'll just fuck it up. James is a good dude, but he's only setting Winn up to lose. If you can't nail that Friendsgiving kiss, you won't be able to score anything after.
But go for it, because I enjoy seeing you fail.

-It's about time Cat put it together. It's going to be fun to see the evolution of their student/mentor relationship.​

Yeah, that cliffhanger sucked, but at least the wait won't be long. Show is a blast.

About time. That was the first episode I completely enjoyed from start to finish. It was even better than my previous favorite episode: Livewire.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The hell good does it do planting a bug onto the monitor?

because its a special anti Monitor

You can clearly see it's all-in-one computer - monitors rarely have multiple fans, heatsinks and this much shielding inside them. This one clearly has two fans: One near the bottom and one near the center, where he puts the "bug". Also, it's quite a "fat" monitor, which signals it has more "guts" in it.

Reviwing the episode, You can see the model here:

ZZcSRup.png

And by "enhancing", we can see it's a Dell Inspiron 23 model 5348:

I'm more shocked about the "just pop the cover and connect it to the wiring" line. Or the fact that a USB stick with a trojan horse (James had time to run a program on the computer) would be much easier.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Kat is frigging awesome, good that she figured it out that fast considering how smart she is supposed to be. Kat x Kara relationship is the best thing in this show.

Aerial fights and those 2nd rate Kryptonians continue to look like shot though. Those cheap ass costumes.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Cat Grant is the best character on the show. She's fantastic.

Also the straight rip-off of that Man of Steel aerial punch shot was hilarious.

The fights are low budget but they have so much heart and soul which makes me love them.

And omg I need that Blake Neely OST like yesterday.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Oh, another two things that made me say "nobody would do that in real world or even in SuperGirl world".

First of all, why would you print all of the emails? Even then, couldn't SuperGirl just speed read all the emails imediatelly?

Joni

That was a great episode, with Cat killing it again. I do kinda fear for her life in the long run if she found out so soon, but on the other hand, every hero needs an emotional crutch. And luckily Astra faked her loss.

Oh, another two things that made me say "nobody would do that in real world or even in SuperGirl world".

First of all, why would you print all of the emails? Even then, couldn't SuperGirl just speed read all the emails imediatelly?

Need to justify Winn and Jimmy being a part of it and give them something to do.

jb1234

I'm usually forgiving of the fight scenes in this show but there was just too much jank here. It threw me completely out of the episode. It's also concerning that the lower stakes CatCo plot was far more compelling than Astra and her shenanigans. There were definitely scenes here I liked (Kara confronting her mom, especially) but I can't help but feel let down, especially for a mid-season finale.

Also disappointed in how synthy Neely's score sounded, especially in the climax. A shame he doesn't have the budget for an orchestra.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
That was a great episode, with Cat killing it again. I do kinda fear for her life in the long run if she found out so soon, but on the other hand, every hero needs an emotional crutch. And luckily Astra faked her loss.
She is the Joe West of this show... They better don't kill these type of characters.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Favorite parts from tonight

- Astra backstory being far more interesting than just cliche bad person escaping a jail and blaming everyone else (for now at least)
- Kara going off in the holo room. That shit was awesome and felt so real. The eye blast at the end was perfect.
- Cat being smart as hell, putting the pieces together and figuring out her identity.
- J'onn taking names during that fight

Little things that I noticed which were kinda funny

- Cat having 4 pairs of glasses on her desk
- Cat continuing to call Kara, Kira. Wonder if she'll actually call her Kara now?
- waiting for Kara to speed read the shit out of those emails while Wynn and Jimmy slog through them

Skux

That was fantastic. And no "buts" this time, it really was firing on all cylinders.

Everything moved forward!
- James and Winn finally had a bro moment over Kara
- Cat found out Kara's identity
- We got some more depth and mystery to Astra which enhances Kara's backstory
- Even Hank/J'onn seems to have loosened up and gets to have some fun moments

Great acting from Benoist again, and a nice parallel in the writing with Cat having to send a child away.

Skux

nope
QVDqWjl.gif

SZ9eAyp.gif

aHGiXbZ.gif

HfWtNaq.gif

UslG4Dx.gif

Shoryuken!
2G05wDB.gif

This show really needs to set action scenes at night, Arrow and Flash do it all the time and they look far better that way.

anaron

another strong episode. I love this show so much if just for Cat. "take James and the handsome hobbit." LOL

I was surprised by how sympathetic they decided to depict Astra as considering her brief and fairly one note appearances before. Beyond being grateful they actually developed her, it all worked really well for me and her relationship with young Kara was pretty affecting + Benanti plays the sisters very convincingly as two entirely different people, thank god.

Melissa is proving to be a genuinely great actress. Her screaming at the hologram got me. :(

CAT KNOWS!!!!!

my only big complaint is the stunts on the show really lack weight and impact. well that Astra's white streak looks fake as hell.

YES!

also as someone else pointed out, I love how despite not really having the movie level budget to do these fights, they're fully going at it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom