• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

This show really needs to do is set action scenes at night, Arrow and Flash do it all the time and they look far better that way.
Arrow doesn't need it, if they spend a bit more time on the choreography they could work excellently in the day, but it is supposed to represent the Dark Gotham mood. They're light on CGI. Supergirl has the opposite problem, it has to be light bright Metropolis (in National City) but CGI works better at night.

leng jai

Really good episode but not for the actual "Supergirl" parts. Her relationship with Kat is clearly the strongest part of the show. Calista Flockhart kills it every time and Melissa is proving herself to be quite a strong actress. The fight scenes in this are simply awful though. I literally laughed out loud when Non pushed away all the DEO agents. So bad.

RS4-

I'm predicting they pull a page out of the Smallville playbook and she will have her head knocked and forget everything for the last 48 hours.

I hope they don't. Would be a nice dynamic if Kat knows. Don't think she'll exploit it either, at least I hope not.

Good ep, except for the as mentioned, fight stuff. And Naan at the end.

GulAtiCa

Cat forgetting would be stupid. Hopefully they don't take anything from Smallville..

One thing I hope for, is that Cat doesn't try to exploit Kara. Wanting her to help her get an advantage in some small cases would be one thing, and something I'd might expect. But don't want them to have Cat go all out greedy and try to exploit Kara. That would make the character of Cat go down a lot.

jrush64

Banned
For the first time since this show started, I can definitely say I loved an episode. This was a damn great episode. The fighting was pretty good. The floating though, looks awkward.

Cat forgetting would be stupid. Hopefully they don't take anything from Smallville..

One thing I hope for, is that Cat doesn't try to exploit Kara. Wanting her to help her get an advantage in some small cases would be one thing, and something I'd might expect. But don't want them to have Cat go all out greedy and try to exploit Kara. That would make the character of Cat go down a lot.

Agreed. If anything, I see Cat continuing to be a mentor/mother figure for Kara. Giving her pep talks, telling her not to take anyone's shit. I don't see her exploiting Kara when she can hype her up and try and make her better than Superman for many people.

Goddamn, Benoist is killing it. I mean the role isn't really all that thankful but Jesus H. Christ.

Wouldn't have guessed based on her role in Glee.

Toa TAK

Banned
aHGiXbZ.gif

6vnISSe.gif

hmm

On second thought if you slowed it down and made it darker it could have came out exactly the same

Ah gawd, the CG really isn't flattering after all.

ZeroFate

aHGiXbZ.gif

6vnISSe.gif

hmm

On second thought if you slowed it down and made it darker it could have came out exactly the same

Maybe it's just me, but I think this is awesome for a TV show budget. I grew up on Lois & Clark and freakin Smallville and this is LEAGUES above what those shows achieved (for obvious reasons). So I'm a happy camper. :)

Effect

I do agree though that Supergirl should not have it's fight scenes in the middle of the day like that. TV special effects have come a long way but not far enough to show them in middle of the day when it's sunny out. Or at the very least keep that stuff on the ground. This show has shown it can't do flying combat well. Period. It simply does not have the budget for that and you can't cut corners on that front if you want it to look at the very least decent. Flight by itself is good though. As a result they should perhaps work on showing off Supergirl's speed ala Flash and Strength, as well as her heat vision, freeze breath, etc. and keep the flying to traveling unless we're dealing with night fights.

Joni

TV Universe(s) are separate from the movie universe for DC. It's only Marvel who links the two formats.
Yes. This however might not be enough proof for the other guy that they can't be linked.

Edit: looking back over the episode, that look when Hank says he can read minds.

Toa TAK

Banned
When you're making a movie with $225 million dollars, of course it's going to look spectacular next to a TV series that's made for about $3 million per episode.

Well yeah, of course, but that still doesn't change the fact that it looks bad. lol

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Er, of course it does.

Better budget = better effects.
Doubt the Flash has a higher budget yet the effects on that show and everything fighting related look way better.

They need to step up their game... Not because of Mos but because of the other super hero shows.

IconGrist

I hope y'all are kidding. It was pretty definitive that Cat knows. If she sees Supergirl and Kara together she's only going to see two Kara's. At best she will just think Kara is still a Kryptonian but her twin sister is actually Supergirl.

nope

Shoryuken!
2G05wDB.gif

This show really needs to set action scenes at night, Arrow and Flash do it all the time and they look far better that way.

nah, it's just that flight is one of the hardest things to do with wire work. Flying fist fights look awesome when their animated, but when done with wirework it always looks awkward, cuz no one has figured out how to plant their feet in mid air and give some weight to the punches.

For a TV budget, the CGI was great. I was okay with it. And we finally got a Man of Steel-esque fight! Was hoping for that the whole time.

Five bucks says the season finale CGI will be way better and more epic.

Is anyone else okay with Supergirl offing somebody? I kind of am.

I gotta say it again, Supergirl having a boiling, raging anger beneath her kind and steely exterior is great. It immediately differentiates her from Clark, Oliver, and Barry.

Setsuna

nah, it's just that flight is one of the hardest things to do with wire work. Flying fist fights look awesome when their animated, but when done with wirework it always looks awkward, cuz no one has figured out how to plant their feet in mid air and give some weight to the punches.

They should take the bleach route and claim they are standing on gravity platforms

This way instead of floating everywhere they are grounded in their actions

anaron

with the Adam reveal I thought "I bet Blake Jenner will be playing him" not even realizing that was confirmed with his casting. LOL

He's totally getting Toyman'd.

For a TV budget, the CGI was great. I was okay with it. And we finally got a Man of Steel-esque fight! Was hoping for that the whole time.

Five bucks says the season finale CGI will be way better and more epic.

Is anyone else okay with Supergirl offing somebody? I kind of am.

I gotta say it again, Supergirl having a boiling, raging anger beneath her kind and steely exterior is great. It immediately differentiates her from Clark, Oliver, and Barry.

I didn't have much of an issue with the CG, but with the fights themselves. They looked really stiff, even when fighting on the ground.

Other than that, yeah, I really like Kara as a character and obviously Kat as well. I thought the reveal was really well done and I liked the the acting from both thoughtout the episode, but especially from Benoist. There's just something that makes me buy her anger, frustration and rage, which I feel is hard to do in general. Good stuff, really.

HfWtNaq.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom