• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

BubbaMc

1) The screen brightness keeps changing for no apparent reason while I'm working on it - I'm obviously covering up some kind of sensor while I'm drawing...but is there a way to disable it? I'd like to just manage the screen brightness manually, it's OK Microsoft I'm a big boy with pull up pants.

Installing the Intel HD graphics driver manually will fix it, at least until the next automatic update.

Apath

LOL...Best Buy had the Surface Pro on sale for $500. It's now back up in price.
It's still available for that price on the Microsoft Store and on eBay through the Microsoft store.

I just ordered one since I've been wanting the Surface Pro 2 but will also get the 3, and there is no justifying spending $1100 on something that will only be used until October. However $500 for the SP1 to tide me over until the SP3 is released? Done.

Hopefully it's good enough that I can sell my Macbook Pro and make a decent buck as well.

XBOX WON

Banned
It's still available for that price on the Microsoft Store and on eBay through the Microsoft store.

I just ordered one since I've been wanting the Surface Pro 2 but will also get the 3, and there is no justifying spending $1100 on something that will only be used until October. However $500 for the SP1 to tide me over until the SP3 is released? Done.

Hopefully it's good enough that I can sell my Macbook Pro and make a decent buck as well.

have you received it yet ? if so how is it going with you so far ?

dLMN8R

Arc Touch Mouse Surface Edition

I just got this today actually, very pleasantly surprised. I love how the scroll pad "clicks", it's really convincing. And the fact that it turns off when flat is helpful.

I've tried this one and really hated how it scrolled, and how it kept turning on in my bag since the button protruded from the bottom.

Whatever you get though, just make sure it's Bluetooth so you don't need to take up the USB port using it.

NeOak

I just got this today actually, very pleasantly surprised. I love how the scroll pad "clicks", it's really convincing. And the fact that it turns off when flat is helpful.

I've tried this one and really hated how it scrolled, and how it kept turning on in my bag since the button protruded from the bottom.

Whatever you get though, just make sure it's Bluetooth so you don't need to take up the USB port using it.

Fun fact: I returned the 256GB Surface Pro (unicorn edition) because the Wacom Feel drivers overwrote the driver of the USB dongle of the Arc Touch Mouse.

So it was either fixed pen for OneNote or being able to use that $60 mouse.

Lucius86

Banned
Anyone have any good recommendations for a Bluetooth mouse that would go great with a Surface Pro 2?

Bit late seeing your recent replies, but I went off and got this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Razer-RZ01-00820100-R3G1-Orochi-Bluetooth-Gaming/dp/B00AKO37P6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391684618&sr=8-1&keywords=razer+orochi

Razer-Orochi-2013.jpg

I've had it for two weeks, and so far it has been a good mouse. It has disconnected once on me for no reason, but not sure if I can put that down to the mouse, BT, or my SP2. It comes with a case so it doesn't get scratched during transit, plus a USB cable for those moments when your batteries die but you still urgently need a mouse.

I got mine off eBay for £45.

Ganondolf

can anyone suggest a good compact bag for my surface pro 2 (will need to store, SP2, type cover/power cover and power cable/brick)?

maeh2k

I have to say, I love the Surface 2. Great device for me.

Recently I used it a lot to read on the train, at times with a video podcast snapped to the side, or to use Word and OneNote. I have the leather case from thesnugg (here). When I write something on the train, I take the leather case in 'portrait' orientation and place the Surface with stand and keyboard on it. Works great. Absolutely no issues with 'lappability' or even placing it on top of my backpack (on my lap). The case helps a lot.

At the moment I'm a bit sick and stay in bed all day. So I used remote desktop to connect to my desktop, which works pretty well with the keyboard and the trackpad. I also streamed some videos from my desktop PC via Homegroup.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Why do links from Neogaf open blank on the Surface 2 in IE?! Drives me absolutely nuts.

Switch back to the neogaf tab and back to the link, it will go through or click+hold and open in new tab

GAF has a link filter which does not play well with the surface IE

My surface pro came in today but I'm having some problems. I try to sign into the store and it says it can't sign in because the network is unavailable and to check my internet. Anyone know why this is happening? I can search the store and use internet explorer with no issues but it won't let me sign in. Its frustrating as all hell.

dem

Microsoft must have gotten scared with all the Surface 1 stock they had left over... because surface 2 shit is scarce. We are trying to bring in Type Cover 2's in at work and they are like impossible to get.

Finally fixed it by wiping the whole computer... Some bug with windows update that the article that Microsoft posted didn't fix. I'm really getting tired of windows update, it sucks and no one ever knows how to fix it. All I did yesterday was boot it up for the first time and it wouldn't work. I really love this thing, especially for reading comics. I really hope they put out the power cover soon since no keyboard sucks. This is what I wanted back when I bought my tm2t tablet this is the weight, form factor, etc., I always wanted.

Biscuits

So there's this case for the Surface/Surface Pro/2 called the FreedomCase that just launched their Kickstarter today. I'm in no way affiliated with them, but I've been following what they've been doing for a few months now and honestly I think it's genius. Looks like the perfect case that adds a ton of new angles too and works with the covers.

Gazunta

OK this is driving me crazy.

For some reason tonight the volume buttons stopped working. Instead of adjusting the volume, pressing volume down dims the screen for a second and pressing volume up turns on Narrator.

What the fucking fuck?

Some Googling has given two possible solutions, neither of which seem to apply:

1) The Windows key is being held down (NOPE, it's fine, and this problem still occurs if no keyboard is attached at all)
2) Doing a refresh will fix it (NOPE, problem still occurs, and now I have to reinstall Photoshop again. I have to say though, kudos to Microsoft for keeping so many of my settings intact)

So...uh...guys? Help?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
No clue. I get little glitches all the time that a restart fixes. Coincidentally, last night my volume buttons stopped working too. Sometimes a point on the screen gets stuck (like the lower left) and it keeps scrolling everything down. Sometimes the windows button stops working. Sometimes charms. I just restart and shrug since restarting takes like 2.5 seconds.

Lucius86

Banned
OK this is driving me crazy.

For some reason tonight the volume buttons stopped working. Instead of adjusting the volume, pressing volume down dims the screen for a second and pressing volume up turns on Narrator.

What the fucking fuck?

Some Googling has given two possible solutions, neither of which seem to apply:

1) The Windows key is being held down (NOPE, it's fine, and this problem still occurs if no keyboard is attached at all)
2) Doing a refresh will fix it (NOPE, problem still occurs, and now I have to reinstall Photoshop again. I have to say though, kudos to Microsoft for keeping so many of my settings intact)

So...uh...guys? Help?

Silly question perhaps, but have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting your type/touch cover?

Gazunta

SOLUTION FOUND: A hard reboot (Holding Up Volume and Power buttons down for 10 seconds) fixed this issue.

Thanks for the responses guys. Ahhhhh computers!

So there's this case for the Surface/Surface Pro/2 called the FreedomCase that just launched their Kickstarter today. I'm in no way affiliated with them, but I've been following what they've been doing for a few months now and honestly I think it's genius. Looks like the perfect case that adds a ton of new angles too and works with the covers.

He's already almost hit his goal, looks like he got the attention of all 779 Surface owners!

maeh2k

Are there any issues with moving your SkyDrive location to the SD card?
Would e.g. OS updates expect it on C:?

Right now I don't keep my SkyDrive files on my Surface, but if I could just keep everything on the SD card without issues, I'd just keep my entire SkyDrive synchronized.

Are there any issues with moving your SkyDrive location to the SD card?
Would e.g. OS updates expect it on C:?

Right now I don't keep my SkyDrive files on my Surface, but if I could just keep everything on the SD card without issues, I'd just keep my entire SkyDrive synchronized.

There's one issue: Speed. I tried it once, and at least the card I got, couldn't handle simultaneous reads/writes, without drawing the access speed to ridiculous speeds.

But that was prior to 8.1, I'm not sure if you can change the location now...

Saved up a bit more to where I could get the 256/8GB model but it's finally on the way and will be here Monday which is exciting. Should I just give up on waiting for the Power cover and grab one of the Type ones? Suppose it'll be pretty necessary to using Office and such. How does the desktop work with touch?

I've been using my surface pro 1 and I haven't really had any problem with the kickstand, it feels like the complaint were largely exaggerated. It's nice to have more options and I'm sure the second one is even better but I never became frustrated or had it bother me.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I've been using my surface pro 1 and I haven't really had any problem with the kickstand, it feels like the complaint were largely exaggerated. It's nice to have more options and I'm sure the second one is even better but I never became frustrated or had it bother me.

Same. I use the kickstand all the time, on my desk, in the bed, whatever. Never had an issue lol. Makes me scratch my head at shit people complain about.

Lucius86

Banned
Same. I use the kickstand all the time, on my desk, in the bed, whatever. Never had an issue lol. Makes me scratch my head at shit people complain about.

I find that surprising - I can't get over how people only had one kickstand position with the SP1 - I use both positions for my SP2 regularly. In bed, on my lap, on the sofa arm, on the desk - all require a different angle.

maeh2k

There's one issue: Speed. I tried it once, and at least the card I got, couldn't handle simultaneous reads/writes, without drawing the access speed to ridiculous speeds.

But that was prior to 8.1, I'm not sure if you can change the location now...

I've now moved it to SD. Apparently it now has to check the whole folder for changes, which takes forever (and there's no progress indicator). I hope that'll work and that it won't restart the checking whenever it goes to standby.

sca2511

Anybody have pen calibration issues at the edges of the screen? I'm not sure if it's a widespread problem, but it sucks when I'm writing notes to the edge of the screen.

Anybody have pen calibration issues at the edges of the screen? I'm not sure if it's a widespread problem, but it sucks when I'm writing notes to the edge of the screen.
Everyone has this unfortunately.

So my battery woes continue. My Pro 2 was supposedly affected by the pulled december firmware update, which caused incorrect battery readings, weird charging behaviour, sleep problems, etc. A January update was supposed to fix it, and it didn't. So MS sent me another.

This seemed fine initially, in terms of going to sleep and charging. Then I noticed that the screen would go black just after the 10% low battery warning, apparently going to a 'hibernate' state too early. The default behaviour should be 10% warning, 7% warning, and then hibernate at 4%. I tested it multiple times with an MS support agent, and sometimes it would reach the 7% warning before going black, but it never exhibited the correct behaviour.

After playing around with it for a few days, I noticed that it had a new firmware update to install, one from the end of January. And I can't believe it... since this update, the battery charging problem and the sleep problem have returned. Have they really mucked up yet another firmware?

Blackhead

Redarse

I think that's more of a Wacom problem as I haven't seen any pen enabled tablet PC that doesn't suffer this to some extent

I've now moved it to SD. Apparently it now has to check the whole folder for changes, which takes forever (and there's no progress indicator). I hope that'll work and that it won't restart the checking whenever it goes to standby.
Good to know, keep us updated on how this goes! Oh, and if performance isn't an issue, could you please point me to which SD you've used?

Pretty much everyone has them I think. There's a "trick" to open the calibration tool with many more points to calibrate, and after calibrating about one hundred points apparently makes the pen super precise on the entire screen, but I haven't really tried that yet..,

maeh2k

Good to know, keep us updated on how this goes! Oh, and if performance isn't an issue, could you please point me to which SD you've used?

It seems everything worked out okay so far. While it was looking for changes I set the energy options to not go into standby when plugged in.
I don't think performance will be an issue for me, as I won't do a lot of simultaneous reads and writes. I mostly just store photos and documents.
My SD card is an average class 10 card. A SanDisk Ultra 32 GB. On Amazon it says the card can achieve 30 MB/s. The higher-quality ones are quite a bit faster. A SanDisk Extreme goes up to 45 MB/s and an Extreme Pro can achieve 95 MB/s.
Since I only use the SD card for storage and accessing documents and pictures, I don't think I'll have any issues with my slow card. So far it's nice to to have all my files accessible offline.

Should I put a screen protector on the surface pro 2 or is it good without one? Is the screen prone to scratches using the pen?
Probably not, but I asked around and people were talking about the dangers of getting bit of grit stuck to the nib and that causing a scratch. I decided to put one on, for piece of mind. I felt more comfortable using full pressure afterwards.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So a random surface pro 2 update just installed and now i cannot view any https website

Gives me a website certificate error which i say to ignore... but then the page wont load completely - anyone else experiencing an issue like this? It is driving me insane

Edit: doh, guess the update messed with my date and time settings... thats what the cause was...

f0lken

I am updating my new Surface Pro (1)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW Is this out yet? And if it is, are the keys programable? I want to use it for Photoshop

ae813648-cfec-4c86-9d18-e284c8961330.png

sca2511

I am updating my new Surface Pro (1)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW Is this out yet? And if it is, are the keys programable? I want to use it for Photoshop

If thats the Surface Remix Touch Cover, I thought it can't be bought separately, unless by eBay, etc. ? I hope I'm wrong.

Visiting the Remix site, they have locations where you can try the cover out.

Pretty much everyone has them I think. There's a "trick" to open the calibration tool with many more points to calibrate, and after calibrating about one hundred points apparently makes the pen super precise on the entire screen, but I haven't really tried that yet..,

I think I've done a 140 point test and it doesn't totally fix the problem, but it helped a bit. It really screwed with the calibration of the pen when using the tablet vertically, so I had to recalibrate with the regular 4 point test.

Top Bottom