• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

sca2511

Wow, this indeed makes the battery life *really* good. The performance decrease is noticeable in some apps, but nothing major, except for flipboard, that gets so leggy I couldn't bare myself to use it... Which is very weird, because even half a i5 should run circles on an app that simple...

Edit: Weird, tried flipboard again and it was buttery smooth...
Yeah, Flipboard is sort of inconsistent with its performance, even when not trying to conserve battery. I still need to pick up NextGen Reader, but Flipboard does alright.

I have a £500 budget this summer, for a touchscreen laptop/tablet that will suit me well for student life (lots and lots of essays). Im going to ramble on here and would love some advice. The Surface Pro seems a little overkill for my needs, as I already have a laptop for my games and proper programs. So it seems to be between the Surface 2 and Lumia 2520;the Surface 2 often has deals that might make it cheaper even if I had to buy the type cover seperately, and both have excellent battery life with the Lumia having the Power Keyboard. However the Surface 2 has a kickstand built in whereas the Lumia only has one via the Power Keyboard. The Lumia seems to have the webcam but I'm unsure whether it has the better CPU + RAM.
How is the multitasking support on Windows RT? I also hear that there are "freezing" issues across the RT range of tablets, is this overblown?

NeOak

I have a £500 budget this summer, for a touchscreen laptop/tablet that will suit me well for student life (lots and lots of essays). Im going to ramble on here and would love some advice. The Surface Pro seems a little overkill for my needs, as I already have a laptop for my games and proper programs. So it seems to be between the Surface 2 and Lumia 2520;the Surface 2 often has deals that might make it cheaper even if I had to buy the type cover seperately, and both have excellent battery life with the Lumia having the Power Keyboard. However the Surface 2 has a kickstand built in whereas the Lumia only has one via the Power Keyboard. The Lumia seems to have the webcam but I'm unsure whether it has the better CPU + RAM.
How is the multitasking support on Windows RT? I also hear that there are "freezing" issues across the RT range of tablets, is this overblown?

Lumia 2520 has a better SoC. And the freezing was due to early code and the Tegra 3 choking. Its not an issue now.

diaspora

How much better is the battery life on the Pro 2 versus the original? With the latter being $539, and the former being $899.10, I should hope the leap is huge.

Multitasking is great under Windows RT. I haven't heard of any "freezing" issues. My Surface 2 has been rock solid. The only thing I regret is the lack of games on the platform. There still isn't one first person shooter on the Windows store.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
How much better is the battery life on the Pro 2 versus the original? With the latter being $539, and the former being $899.10, I should hope the leap is huge.

read one or two pages back, answered multiple times

kharma45

fwiw I know you're not looking for the SP but the original 128GB is £499 with Currys less the O2 Priority Moments app discount http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...face-pro-10-6-tablet-128-gb-21426630-pdt.html It's a good deal but the battery life on the RT models will be far in excess of what it can offer.

Raxious

So I'm having a lot of fun with my Surface Pro. One thing I noticed is that there's only 80GB free. Now I'm installing some games on it and the space is decreasing of course.

How have you guys set it up? Install games on the main SSD and place the important files / software on an SD card?

dLMN8R

So I'm having a lot of fun with my Surface Pro. One thing I noticed is that there's only 80GB free. Now I'm installing some games on it and the space is decreasing of course.

How have you guys set it up? Install games on the main SSD and place the important files / software on an SD card?

The biggest thing you can do is move your recovery partition to an external thumb drive.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/storage-files-and-folders/create-a-recovery-drive

Also, if you're not going to use Office, you can uninstall the preinstalled trial version.

Next, make sure you upgrade to 8.1 if it didn't already come with it - it has a smaller footprint than 8 and will free up a bit of space.

Raxious

The biggest thing you can do is move your recovery partition to an external thumb drive.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/storage-files-and-folders/create-a-recovery-drive

Also, if you're not going to use Office, you can uninstall the preinstalled trial version.

Next, make sure you upgrade to 8.1 if it didn't already come with it - it has a smaller footprint than 8 and will free up a bit of space.

Ok, so I'll need to get a USB for that.

I'm going to be using Office for school, but would it not be better to install Office on a micro SDXC card? I also installed the 8.1 update from the store.

The Lamp

I'm considering buying a Pro 2 but I don't want to if there are any rumors that a Pro 3 is coming soon or that a Pro 2 is soon going to see a price drop. Any news on that front?

I know it had poor sales last year or something so I wasn't sure if they were going to actually make a Pro 3 or if there was going to be a price drop soon.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm considering buying a Pro 2 but I don't want to if there are any rumors that a Pro 3 is coming soon or that a Pro 2 is soon going to see a price drop. Any news on that front?

I know it had poor sales last year or something so I wasn't sure if they were going to actually make a Pro 3 or if there was going to be a price drop soon.

There will def be a Pro 3 but the price drop will happen gradually. Probably same time as last year, fall.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
so I Jumped In, with a surface pro 2.

So far this thing is pretty sweet. Windows 8 doesn't bother me since I use it at work every day. I really like the default news, weather and sports "apps" with the live tiles and how you can configure them. (never bothered to look at them on my work machine). I like these features better than the ipad actually. It feels so dated not to have live tiles/widgets on it.

Sold my MacBook pro retina for more than I paid for this thing, which is sweet. And i'll more easily be able to do work related things on it.

Do have one question tough, I charged it up full last night and used it briefly this morning, then came back to it this afternoon and it was at 20% battery. its in Balanced power mode, which turns the display off after 15 minutes and turns the computer off after 30 minutes, so why was the battery drained? I mean i'm a windows guy, (its what I do for work) but is there something different with the surface?

Treo360

until the prices come down in my area, the spro 1-2 are out. I currently have a s2 and am looking to supplement it with a dell venue 8 pro. I can get one for 250.00, is it worth it?

maeh2k

I recently got a surface pro 2 and can't find away to close an app. I know your suppose to just drag from the top, but it won't do it.

Can you drag the apps down to snap them?

Try dragging an app down a bit. Drag the finger from above the screen to the middle of the screen. Now you could snap the app to either side by dragging it there. Then drag the app to the bottom, but don't let go just yet. If you let go right away, you remove the app from the recent apps list (i.e. switching tasks on the left edge of the screen). To really close an app you need to hold the app at the bottom of the screen till the view of the app switches to the logo of the app (hold it for like two seconds) and then let go.

Edit: if you are new to Windows 8/8.1, Scott Hanselman has some good tutorial videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0M0zPgJ3HSfrydBvq11e7ib7DaWZphwE

aaaaa0

Do have one question tough, I charged it up full last night and used it briefly this morning, then came back to it this afternoon and it was at 20% battery. its in Balanced power mode, which turns the display off after 15 minutes and turns the computer off after 30 minutes, so why was the battery drained? I mean i'm a windows guy, (its what I do for work) but is there something different with the surface?

Sometimes it doesn't stay in sleep. Something wakes it back up.

I think there are some firmware updates that fix this.

markot

Banned
Surface pro more like surface poo.

A: Why oh why does the stupid metro browser chew up batter faster than the desktop one?

B: Why does the Acer w700 have longer battery life, while having a smaller capacity???????? The specs are almost identical but the surface stuggles to get 4 hours >.>;

C: why cant I use different on screen keyboards? The microsoft one is rubish and kinda buggy.

Paganmoon

In talks of buying a few tablet devices for testing at work now, and I had sights set on a Surface Pro 2, but apparently the Dock isn't available at all in Sweden. So we're looking to test out the Dell Venue 11 Pro instead. Looks like a pretty good replacement for the Surface Pro? Has a Dock, a thin type cover and so on. Anyone got any experience with those devices?

Is the Pro 1 worth buying? They're heavily discounted around here at the moment (600 dollars) so it's basically half the price of the Pro 2, assuming you can find 2s in stock anywhere. Is the upgrade worth an extra 600 dollars?

Also, does a Pro2 type cover or power cover work on a Pro 1?

markot

Banned
Is the Pro 1 worth buying? They're heavily discounted around here at the moment (600 dollars) so it's basically half the price of the Pro 2, assuming you can find 2s in stock anywhere. Is the upgrade worth an extra 600 dollars?

I dont know, if you are ok with 3-4 hours of portability. Spec wise the pro 2 just offers some more batterly life (like 6 hours) and some better graphical performance, the intel chip is basically the same in all other respects.

The pro 2 covers work on the pro buuuuuut, there is no power cover yet and no word of it for ages so im guessing cancelled.

Ganondolf

I dont know, if you are ok with 3-4 hours of portability. Spec wise the pro 2 just offers some more batterly life (like 6 hours) and some better graphical performance, the intel chip is basically the same in all other respects.

The pro 2 covers work on the pro buuuuuut, there is no power cover yet and no word of it for ages so im guessing cancelled.

surface pro 2's battery is closer to 8hrs for normal use. I have tweaked the power plan and browsing the net only is giving me over 10hrs. when using visual studios I get about 6-7 (without the emulator running).

surface pro 2's battery is closer to 8hrs for normal use. I have tweaked the power plan and browsing the net only is giving me over 10hrs. when using visual studios I get about 6-7 (without the emulator running).

Damn, this is awesome. Can't wait to see what battery life SurfPro 3 will have.

Depends on how much the better battery life is needed by you and if you'll consider getting the power cover when it eventually comes out. I bought my surface pro when it was on sale recently and I love it and feel it's a much better value for the price. The longer battery is nicer but not 2x the price nicer.

f0lken

Not even 15 days with my Pro and I broke my pen accidentaly :( Should I buy the Pro one again or is there a better within the same price range?

Any sleeve suggestions for the Pro + type cover for travelling? The cover will protect the screen from getting scratched, but I'm trying to find a padded sleeve to put it all into.

Also, when doing this is it suggested to power down the Surface or can I just have it go into sleep/hibernate?

SRTtoZ

Can someone with a Surface 2 (not Pro) go to the HBOGO website and watch something for a few minutes and tell me if you get slight stutter and crackle from the speakers? It happens when the video goes from SD to HD after buffering. It seems to be a big issue when checking online but I want to make sure others have it or else I want to exchange mine before the 15 days pass at Best Buy. I don't think its a speaker issue but a flash issue because others have the same exact issue with streaming Amazon Prime and whatnot.

ElNino

Any sleeve suggestions for the Pro + type cover for travelling? The cover will protect the screen from getting scratched, but I'm trying to find a padded sleeve to put it all into.

Also, when doing this is it suggested to power down the Surface or can I just have it go into sleep/hibernate?
I have one of these for my Pro + type cover. Tablet Ultimate SleeveCase

For powering down (or not) the Surface, I usually just let it go to sleep by closing the cover and haven't had any issues. That being said, the Surface powers on to to the Windows login screen pretty quick (less than 10 seconds), so doing a cold boot isn't that big of an deal unless you have a lot of apps which start at launch.

Implying the CPU is what drains battery all the time.
It's not the only factor, but from the jump from ivy bridge to haswell was pointed out as the reason for Spro2 extra life. I dunno if they can make the same jump again, but it would be interesting if so.
Can someone with a Surface 2 (not Pro) go to the HBOGO website and watch something for a few minutes and tell me if you get slight stutter and crackle from the speakers? It happens when the video goes from SD to HD after buffering. It seems to be a big issue when checking online but I want to make sure others have it or else I want to exchange mine before the 15 days pass at Best Buy. I don't think its a speaker issue but a flash issue because others have the same exact issue with streaming Amazon Prime and whatnot.
Do you have any codec pack installed? I usually get the errors you are describing when I use media player classic + any codec pack. All those issues were gone once I stopped using them.

(I don't have hbogo access to test for you, are your problems limited to that, or it happens with any video?)

FOR PEOPLE INTERESTED IN USING THE SURFACE PRO FOR ART:

I bought a Surface Pro recently to use it as an art pad; to sketch and create more complex works in a digital, portable hub. I have the keyboard and a wireless adapter so it won't have to be tied to the computer and the Arc Mouse. For software, I recently purchased Clip Studio Paint X (Manga Studio 5x, but for digital download) and I have played around with the Fresh Paint app it came with. I have had really good experiences so far and the OS isn't hard to learn at all. It is most definitely a manageable size to pick up and sit on your lap or to place in front of you. I am waiting for case and bag to carry it around to come in, so I haven't brought it out of the house yet.

The Fresh Paint app, while not fully functional, was really fun to mess around with and the emulation of traditional media was spot on! I have had a lot of experience with colored pencils and the way it textured and layered on top of one another was uncanny. Really fun, though, I hope it will be developed more.

Here is a drawing I did tonight as an exercise and as a means to feel out the Clip Studio software's basic painting function. Had a lot of fun! I am really excited to delve more into this software, for more complex work, storyboarding, and comic book paneling. C:

S4gDdDs.png

Anyone else had an issue where bluetooth mice act up when a USB key is plugged in?

When I had my Sandisk 16GB key plugged in, my Scuplt Comfort mouse would occasionally lag in moving the pointer on the screen. The odd thing was it worked fine part of the time when it was plugged in but then it'd act up again.

Worked fine after I unplugged the USB key, though.

NeOak

Anyone else had an issue where bluetooth mice act up when a USB key is plugged in?

When I had my Sandisk 16GB key plugged in, my Scuplt Comfort mouse would occasionally lag in moving the pointer on the screen. The odd thing was it worked fine part of the time when it was plugged in but then it'd act up again.

Worked fine after I unplugged the USB key, though.

Happened to me with the Wacom Feel drivers and the USB dongle of the Arc Touch mouse.

Returned that one because it was within the 14 days.

Has anyone else gotten dented corners on the chassis? Maybe from standing it up? Mine has a dented corner now and I have no idea how. It was on my desk by itself and then on my bed all morning and then I went to charge it and now there's a dent on the corner of it. I literally haven't used it and I've never dropped it.

SRTtoZ

It's not the only factor, but from the jump from ivy bridge to haswell was pointed out as the reason for Spro2 extra life. I dunno if they can make the same jump again, but it would be interesting if so.

Do you have any codec pack installed? I usually get the errors you are describing when I use media player classic + any codec pack. All those issues were gone once I stopped using them.

(I don't have hbogo access to test for you, are your problems limited to that, or it happens with any video?)

You're talking about the Surface 2 right?

I didn't install anything yet minus all the updates when I got it a couple weeks ago. I open Metro IE or Desktop IE and go to hbogo's website, sign in and start watching Game of Thrones, about a minute in (when it buffers to full HD) it starts stuttering slightly and the speakers begin to crackle. Keep in mind the speakers don't crackle when I watch any of the HD videos I copied to my microSD so I know its not a hardware issue.

There is a HUGE thread here

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/.../cd2cc7bb-4572-4122-8a57-9843d1a5c366?page=22

And people have returned up to FOUR surface 2's and still have issues. This is mind boggling to me.

Edit: I exchanged it anyway because when I went to refresh it I got a BSOD. Fantastic.

Top Bottom