• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

kazinova

God damnit people. now I want one of these things. Think I'll be able to get $350+ for the RT when the Pro comes out?

I'm kicking myself for not getting a line card at the MS store near me...

SeanR1221

When I read stuff like only 17gb free and cut the rope runs like crap I get annoyed. Come on, MS. Knock this one out of the park.

I'd easily pay 350 for an RT when the pro drops. Just saying ;)

Totakeke

From all we've seen so far, the proper method to use the laptop in your lap is to flip the cover backwards and have the kickstand rest on top of it. Obviously that means you can't really type while doing that. Otherwise you probably have to have another thing on top of your lap for the surface to rest it on. The distance between the end of the kickstand to the other end of the cover might be too long to type anyway?

Mine is at the local fedex facility, taunting me..

little over an hour and a half to go if the delivery estimate time is accurate (by 10:30 am)

mm04

Well, mine is sitting at my city's Fedex sorting facility, but not scheduled to arrive until Monday. I wonder if I could just drive their today and pick it up...

EriCKY

Neo Member
Well, mine is sitting at my city's Fedex sorting facility, but not scheduled to arrive until Monday. I wonder if I could just drive their today and pick it up...

My online preorder was set to come on the 29th but it actually is out for delivery right now

mm04

Thanks folks. I'm on the West coast so I'll give it a few hours to see if the status changes. Arrived locally an hour ago.

hwalker84

Who's heading to the store?

It's 630 am here, and I think I'll head out at 930am.

I am but I'm at work. Won't get to the store until 5pm or so. They said they have a lot of stock and are getting more in later today. Hopefully they have a 64GB hanging around for me.

aesop

Mine showed up.

First impression: Wow, it's snappy. Second impression: Screen could definitely be better.

Touch cover works really well. It's gonna take some time to get used to it, though.

jagowar

Mine is stuck at being "on the truck for delivery" by ups.... sadly ups normally delivers towards the end of the day usually.

Also one other little interesting bit.... this morning all versions of the surface have the 3 week backorder listed.

EriCKY

Neo Member
an irk that's bothering me:

sidescrolling using the touchcover trackpad within apps seems really laggy, while if you simply scroll by touching the screen its really smooth.

stktt

Banned
My estimated delivery date is still Monday, but the package is already in a Fedex vehicle and being delivered from a city about 30 minutes away. Really hope it arrives today.

There are 7 gigs of installed apps when you get it. Office isn't small. It doesn't really concern me. You aren't limited to what comes installed with it. MicroSD + USB = I'm not worried.
that seems like a lot more than 7 gigs though. From lets say 29gb to 17. That's 12 at least. Almost half if you count from 32.

Also review units had more available. Just not understanding what's happening.

my blue touch cover is awaiting me when I get home for lunch. I'm still ironing out Win 8 driver eccentricities (I have a really weird hardware configuration) so it's probably for the best that the Surface isn't here today and won't be for a couple of weeks. I'm running a marathon tomorrow and I need to get more sleep than I got last night!

It says 17 out of 25 available. Dunno.

You guys are forgetting something..

There's a system image on board that can restore your entire OS using the refresh/reset PC option in windows 8/Windows RT

That would explain another 7-8GB of space missing, as the image includes Office RT preview

This is full blown windows, after all.

kazinova

I can't pay cash for the 64gb so I think this is swinging back to a no-go for me. I'm not willing to put something I want (not something I need) on credit this close to the holiday season.

EriCKY

Neo Member
Definitely getting the 64 now.

From those that have see the device in stores. What color did you think looked the best? Did the felt like finish on the black make you envious?

i didn't like the finish on the black but i got a touch + type cover so whatever

i originally wanted a red touch cover but it looks orangey-red in person so i got the blue, which is nice.

BoSox06DH

Just got my Surface about an hour ago. It was totally unexpected since I assumed I wouldn't have gotten it before 4 or 5:00 PM. But there it when my mom was like you got something. I'll give my impression later, but so far I love it.

Milchjon

WHY ARE THERE STILL NO DAMN PICTURES IN THIS THREAD???

Yeah, I realize there are a ton of pics out there, but I want real life stuff

EriCKY

Neo Member
here's a crappy photo i took last night before passing out at 3am

HBvCW.png

11 inch macbook air vs surface

mm04

No dice for me. Called Fedex and they can't release the package until Monday because that's what supposedly the shipper (!$%^ Microsoft!) specified. Those idiots dropped the ball on that. I hate it when delivery promises are broken like that, especially since a weekend is going to pass by as well.

Edit: I take it back! Doorbell just rang and it was Fedex with my Surface. I got black/black, so I'll post a pic later for those curious what it looks like.

hwalker84

Dammit even in the stores the 64GB is bundled with the black cover.... meh!! They also wont allow me to pay for it now and pick it up later.

here's a crappy photo i took last night before passing out at 3am

HBvCW.png

11 inch macbook air vs surface
exactly what I asked for a page ago, lol. Thanks. I was worried it kind of looked like it took up too much space with the cover open and the kickstand out. Definitely more but not by much.

Dunlop

No dice for me. Called Fedex and they can't release the package until Monday because that's what supposedly the shipper (!$%^ Microsoft!) specified. Those idiots dropped the ball on that. I hate it when delivery promises are broken like that, especially since a weekend is going to pass by as well.

Edit: I take it back! Doorbell just rang and it was Fedex with my Surface. I got black/black, so I'll post a pic later for those curious what it looks like.

they are compensating Canadians apparently for the screw up

“Dear Customer,

Thanks again for pre-ordering your Surface online!

As stated at the time of order, we expect customers in Canada to receive their Surface devices between Oct. 26 and Oct. 30. We apologize for any confusion caused by subsequent emails stating an earlier or later arrival date. To make up for any inconvenience, we would like to offer you a single use coupon for up to CND$50 off your next purchase from the Microsoft online store

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/10/26/m...et-now-available-lineups-happened-in-toronto/

I'm asuming US will be incoming

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Arrived the the MS store at 9 am in Costa Mesa, CA.

There was already about 60 people in line. This is a pretty successful event for MS.

Bah, the fedex guy tried to deliver mine at 9am. If only I had just sat at home instead of coming to work early. That's before the apartment manager comes in, so he couldn't deliver it. BAH!!!

I just requested for the driver to hold it at a local fedex location. I hope s/he gets the request and does it today!

Top Bottom