• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

TylerD

Anybody have a link to the Panos Panay presentation today?

Nm: finally found it. He is infectious and extremely good at selling the surface.

EriCKY

Neo Member
final impressions because im hungry

I can't explain how much I like the typecover

it is so 'feelgood' to use.

I really recommend you get one. touchcover is nice as well, but needs practice.

I really like this thing! It's speedy and is definitely good for productivity.

I have no idea why cut the rope runs so badly, and I hope it can be fixed through updates.

I have no idea why cut the rope runs so badly, and I hope it can be fixed through updates.
all I needed to know

Game seems to run good for me...Asus g74 laptop

strata8

Cut the Rope is done in HTML/JavaScript, which could explain the bad performance.

If you can, try out Dodo GoGo. That's another JavaScript game.

EriCKY

Neo Member
Why fairly and not better? Also what about on your lap sitting up straight.

Also Christ. HALF THE STORAGE?

I'm simply getting used to it. The kickstand is in no way 'sharp enough to cut you' like I remember reading in a review.

yeah storage-wise I don't know what to say. I remember reading on reddit that they said there'd be over 20gb left to use.

strata8

Why fairly and not better? Also what about on your lap sitting up straight.

Also Christ. HALF THE STORAGE?

Anandtech said Windows RT + Office uses 7.5GB on the Surface, which means ~25GB total storage space. What's taking up the other 5GB?

Screenshot%20(55).png

EriCKY what's the used/total capacity number on the drive?

I'm simply getting used to it. The kickstand is in no way 'sharp enough to cut you' like I remember reading in a review.

yeah storage-wise I don't know what to say. I remember reading on reddit that they said there'd be over 20gb left to use.
I don't get it. Is anything big preinstalled other than office.

I have a weird question. How much desk space does this think take up when the kickstand is up and the cover fksp is open for typing. More than a normal 11 or 23 inch laptop ?

Anandtech said Windows RT + Office uses 7.5GB on the Surface, which means ~25GB total storage space. What's taking up the other 5GB?

Screenshot%20(55).png

EriCKY what's the used/total capacity number on the drive?

Maybe the paging and hibernation files?

Also remember you have to account for base 10 storage sizes where as the OS reports base 2 (1GB = 1,000,000,000 Bytes vs. 1GB = 1024^3 Bytes) as well as MBR, MFT and formating overhead

EriCKY

Neo Member
I took a size comparison picture as well as a picture of the hard drive usage because I dono how to take a screenshot.

imported from my iphone 5 fine, but imgur doesn't work :(

It basically now says "you have 15.6 GB available"
Travel: 197mb
Soulcraft (game I just downloaded): 159mb
Finance: 95.9 mb
Mail: 93.8 mb
Sports: 83mb
Games: 75.2mb
Music: 71.6 mb
News: 60.6mb
Video: 59.1mb
Weather: 55.3mb
Photos: 43mb
Maps: 18mb
Skydrive: 14mb
Reader: 13mb
Bing: 9mb

I don't get it.

strata8

I took a size comparison picture as well as a picture of the hard drive usage because I dono how to take a screenshot.

Windows + Print Screen on the keyboard. It should save it to your picture library.

moowear

Thanks for all the input EriCKY. By chance, are you able to hook up your surface to an ext display? Just wondering what the output resolution is via hdmi. Though I guess its not that important for rt devices?

EriCKY

Neo Member
Thanks for all the input EriCKY. By chance, are you able to hook up your surface to an ext display? Just wondering what the output resolution is via hdmi. Though I guess its not that important for rt devices?

can't do that tonight sorry, i'm the only one awake over here

Heretic

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. I'm so jealous but I'm waiting for the Pro! I'm going to an MS store this weekend. I might just get both...

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
the main way you would use office anyway is with a mouse and keyboard. /shrug. I prefer it this way.

DagsJT

Although the space issue is a slight annoyance, it's not a dealbreaker as you'd install an SD card anyway. It's not like an iPad where you're tied to the system storage alone.

dejay

Banned
I'll have my Surface in 10 hours. :) Can't wait.

I'll have my Surface in 1.5 weeks. Australia am cry.

Although the space issue is a slight annoyance, it's not a dealbreaker as you'd install an SD card anyway. It's not like an iPad where you're tied to the system storage alone.

As things are tied to the MS Store (whatever it's called) I presume you can also uninstall and re-install at will?

hwalker84

Yes but imagine apps/games start to get 2GB in size (Like the iPad). Since you can't install apps to the SDCard things could get tight really fast.

Top Bottom