• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Totakeke

I agree 100%
They should have released one model with a 1080p screen and specs between the RT and Pro yet running windows 8 total.
Not a gimped RT system and then a Pro later. I pity anyone that bought a RT and didn't know that a Pro would be coming. MS fucked up and the surface release shows how much they don't understand the market. As much as I'll never go back to apple I really hope MS are not trying to beat them. Considering that they are now designing and making their won chips it's very easy to see where apple are going yet MS appear to be choking on apples dust.

Here you go.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098O9TB0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Why don't you buy that? Is there something the Surface have that you must buy it?

PSGames

There's no way in the world Surface RT will perform as badly as those two considering the circumstances those two devices were in.

Talking about the Playbook, hardly anyone gave a shit when they sold it for cheap, and probably still is now because the device wasn't worth much to anyone (hey BoM enthusiasts). Surface RT? You're looking at plenty of people wishing so much it was only $100 cheaper so that they could own one.

Yeah the Surface is an extremely desirable product. Most people I showed it to wanted one until I told them the price. The Surface is in the same predicament as the iPad Mini. A great product that only Apple/MS diehards will buy due to being over priced.

Once again, what MS wanted and needed to accomplish with Win8 vs. the Surface were completely different, and the respective pricing only reflected that.

This argument makes no sense. Unless what MS wanted to accomplish with the Surface is to make a product no one buys. Then they are certainly doing an admirable job. I hope it ends up as successful as the Zune, Kin, and Windows Phone 7 then based on this metric.

Yeah the Surface is an extremely desirable product. Most people I showed it to wanted one until I told them the price. The Surface is in the same predicament as the iPad Mini. A great product that only Apple/MS diehards will buy due to being over priced.

The problem is Apple is currently in a market-dominant position. MS is just entering it. You can't build a product for diehards with a 0% market share. Apple can because their market share in tablets is a dominant one. The pricing on Surface is suicidal, plain and simple.

mm04

OEMs would be even more pissed if MS sold it lower than what it is. MS probably also doesn't want a race to the bottom like Android tablets are seeing.

That and I don't think the end game for MS is to sell more Surfaces than any other RT/W8 device. It's to set a quality standard for OEMs to follow and to sell more operating systems on portable devices at the expense of Android/iOS. If they really wanted to sell a gazillion Surfaces, they wouldn't allow any OEMs to sell RT devices at all and sell their own product at a reduced price. Either way, I'm not bothered. My iPad owning relatives are jealous when they see me watch a TV show in the main window and read a news feed on a side-docked app at the same time. All they see is what they can't do with their iPads, not what their iPads might do better.

Totakeke

Windows RT codec support by default is the same as Windows 8. So yeah, whatever codec you had to install on Windows 8 or before, you'll have to have an app to do the same thing on RT.

you truly believe the ipad mini won't sell well? not a chance. it does everything the full-size ipads do in a more attractive form factor for a lower price. average consumers do not care about pixel density or how much nexus 7s cost.

it'll be the most popular ipad before the year is out.

dLMN8R

It's really annoying how Thurrott needs to start almost every article with "...as I first revealed" or "as I exclusively revealed months before The Verge" (exaggeration, not exact).

He's so damn insecure about his stature in his writing, always needs to make sure he has the inside scoop.

Also amusing how he constantly derides Sinofsky for his verbosity when I don't think I've ever seen any evidence that he knows how to edit the chaff.

eastmen

Banned
I use MPC-HC these days. Fortunately that will work fine on Surface Pro.

LOL

You guys make me laugh. Do you think the average user runs mpc-hc or vlc player and doesn't just stick with the built in player . ipad users , android tablet users will all use the built in software.

People who keep saying they think this product is lacking software or costs to much don't seem to understand the landscape of the computing world .

eastmen

Banned
It's really annoying how Thurrott needs to start almost every article with "...as I first revealed" or "as I exclusively revealed months before The Verge" (exaggeration, not exact).

He's so damn insecure about his stature in his writing, always needs to make sure he has the inside scoop.

Also amusing how he constantly derides Sinofsky for his verbosity when I don't think I've ever seen any evidence that he knows how to edit the chaff.

I used to vist the verge a lot until some of their recent reviews . In Paul's defense they have talked badly about him while ripping off his news way before he started calling them out on it.

Also unlike the verge he can actually criticize MS while the verge is incapable of doing the same to apple

Loofy

VLC would be helpful, yes, but it's far from the most popular desktop application. Faaaaar from it.
Who said anything about being the most popular desktop application.

LOL

You guys make me laugh. Do you think the average user runs mpc-hc or vlc player and doesn't just stick with the built in player . ipad users , android tablet users will all use the built in software.

People who keep saying they think this product is lacking software or costs to much don't seem to understand the landscape of the computing world .
Ive never met a mac owner who doesnt use VLC. Not sure if youre trying to tell us that no tablet user would ever want that feature.

Mairu

LOL

Considering both the App Store & Google Play hit 25 billion downloads this year, yeah I think the average iPad & Android user likes to install applications other than what the device comes with. I'm sorry you seem to be completely satisfied with a device purely to run MS Office with.

eastmen

Banned
Considering both the App Store & Google Play hit 25 billion downloads this year, yeah I think the average iPad & Android user likes to install applications other than what the device comes with. I'm sorry you seem to be completely satisfied with a device purely to run MS Office with.

lol , I know many people with ipad's the school I do it for has everyone walking around with them. They all use the default video player and the majority just download games and use Netflix /hulu for movie watching .

I don't own a surface. I had a touchpad with android 4 on it and I have an ipad 2 . But neither of those will run office or run two apps side by side.

All my media works fine in media player / center since I have a htpc with a centon tuner and I record my shows and my blurays and surface seems to run Netflix and hulu just fine.

If you really need to play a different media file that isn't supported why don't u wait more than 3 weeks for someone to make the app ?

Totakeke

So I tried my Surface at the Office. Had it configured to connect to the office network using wireless and tried remote desktop to my work laptop. My work laptop is running Win7 Enterprise and the experience was quite smooth. I'm currently using an 11.6" i7 ulv subnotebook and pretty much everyone else uses 14" or 15". Not many people uses monitors either and I'm probably one of the 10% that uses a >24" monitor. So my office co-workers aren't that techy. But back to the point, I definitely think that with a Surface, I wouldn't mind getting a bigger laptop for extra power or even a desktop pc instead because I do code and i7 ulv is still not that great especially when plugged into larger monitors. I still would be able to bring a mobile device around to take notes and present unlike my colleagues who typically stick with notebooks. And if I need any information stored on my main computer, I can still RDP into it and grab it. Unfortunately my office network uses a proprietary VPN so that will take some figuring out and it doesn't seem that usb keys work either.

Just some food for thought for myself.

Has anyone had luck with microHDMI to DVI cables so far? Also, what is the easiest way for me to play music through my desktop PC to my speakers while I'm on my surface?

Surface RT is getting a lot of slack....but for the life of me, it's the perfect tablet for me (haven't even picked it up yet).

I wish I didn't have to drive 30 miles to try one out.

mm04

Oh, good. Google Search app is now out for RT.
Google Search (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/308dc145-6851-487d-b83b-1223a3b52dc2)

Sorry MS, but Bing still sucks.

Edit: Ugh, performance is bad. What are you trying to do Google, bringing your Android flavour? Also why are you showing me the mobile version of Google Reader. Someone give Google a Surface please.

I've completely turned around my views of Bing in large part because of the app. The app presentation and live tile runs circles around Google, IMO. I really like the way it presents the search results in a never ending ribbon. I don't go to Google at all anymore and that was a hard habit to break.

Haklong

I personally don't find the search results to be that different between the two. And since Bing searches give me free ms points I tend to use it more.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm seriously considering just getting the RT over the Pro, since I just need it for this:

• Typing up documents for school
  • Watching Netflix/Hulu/any other HD vid
  • Browsing

Does it fulfill my needs?

Totakeke

So I'm seriously considering just getting the RT over the Pro, since I just need it for this:

• Browsing

Sure. Still waiting for mkv support though. If you want to type full documents, definitely consider the type cover instead.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Sure. Still waiting for mkv support though. If you want to type full documents, definitely consider the type cover instead.

Hm, really? Why not the touch cover? Was going to pick it just for aesthetics.

Totakeke

Hm, really? Why not the touch cover? Was going to pick it just for aesthetics.

It's still easier to make mistakes on this because it's only pressure sensitive. Maybe if you're already used to making heavy strokes on your keyboard, it might be less of an issue.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna go to the MS Store and try it out there. Thanks though.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone here using MS Word and having no problems with the touch cover? I saw the lag video, but heard that gets fixed by fully installing Office via update.

Totakeke

What is up with people buying keyboards? Why not simply use bluetooth devices or plug a keyboard into the USB slot?

Plenty of reasons. Weight, portability, working damn well with the integrated kickstand, and also, you're going to bring that device showing on tv and you can't do the click thing?

The keyboard is so incredibly convenient to use compared to a separate keyboard. Plus you can wash it.

dejay

Banned
Showed some workmates today - they were very impressed.

What is up with people buying keyboards? Why not simply use bluetooth devices or plug a keyboard into the USB slot?

The keyboard is the cover. It protects it. You can also fold the cover back behind the device or partially fold it back and rest the kickstand on it for sitting it on your stomach or lap in bed. Compare that to a keyboard you have to carry around separately. If you have to start carrying around extra stuff for it you lose some of the joy in carrying a compact device around with you.

Anyone here using MS Word and having no problems with the touch cover? I saw the lag video, but heard that gets fixed by fully installing Office via update.

I occasionally get lag for about 10 seconds after I start Word. After that it's fine - I guess it's dumping memory or something.

"Apps" - Plural. I would say VLC is one of the most popular desktop apps that wont run on RT. You disagree?

right. you were asked to name the most popular apps on desktops and you only named one. is it really that confusing to you how we thought you were saying it was THE most popular app on the system?

If you asked me to name the best football players and I responded with a single name, would you think I was randomly picking one of the best players rather than telling you who I thought was THE best?

Hopefully you can understand why we felt you were claiming VLC was the most popular desktop application now.

I have no idea how popular vlc is. I know people that swear by it, and people that wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. We just need a good mkv player. It doesn't need to be VLC.

Totakeke

DisplayMate finds that the Surface screen is great and I agree.

http://www.displaymate.com/Surface_RT_ShootOut_1.htm

Conclusions for the Microsoft Surface RT Display

The display on the Microsoft Surface RT outperforms all of the standard resolution full size 10 inch Tablets that we have tested in our Display Shoot-Out series. The Lab tests and measurements documented in the Shoot-Out Comparison Table below indicate that Microsoft has paid a lot of attention to display performance for the Surface RT. In particular, on-screen text is significantly sharper, it has a better factory display calibration, and also significantly lower screen Reflectance than the iPad 2 and all full size 1280x800 Android Tablets. But it is not as sharp as the iPad 3 or 4, nor does it have their large full Color Gamut. We’ll have to wait for the high resolution Windows Pro Tablets that will be launching in early 2013 for direct comparisons with the high resolution iPads and Android Tablets. This is a great start for Windows Tablets and brings much needed competition to the Tablet marketplace. In addition, many other manufacturers will be launching their own branded Windows RT and Pro Tablets – we’ll include the best of them in future Mobile Display Shoot-Outs.

Enco

• Browsing

I've considered this but 2GB ram and 32GB space is no real laptop alternative.

Plus as it stands the Windows store is a heap of shit and is in no way going to be able to fully replace either my iPad or Macbook.

I'm going to wait because right now it can't beat my tablet or laptop.

I've considered this but 2GB ram and 32GB space is no real laptop alternative.

Plus as it stands the Windows store is a heap of shit and is in no way going to be able to fully replace either my iPad or Macbook.

I'm going to wait because right now it can't beat my tablet or laptop.

What if all a person uses their laptop for are the things the individual mentioned?

Typing docs
Hulu/Netflix/Movie watching
Email
Movies
Hell...even connecting USB devices (printers/cameras/external hard drives)

2gb RAM + 20GB available local storage plus cloud solutions...why wouldn't the Surface be enough for "that" laptop user?

(Completely agree that right now the Microsoft store is a work in progress)

mm04

• Browsing

This is exactly what I use mine for. Except I type/read documents and spreadsheets for work. I also have a work issued laptop, but I hate lugging that thing around 24/7 and this is a perfect solution for me.

Enco

What if all a person uses their laptop for are the things the individual mentioned?

Typing docs
Hulu/Netflix/Movie watching
Email
Movies
Hell...even connecting USB devices (printers/cameras/external hard drives)

2gb RAM + 20GB available local storage plus cloud solutions...why wouldn't the Surface be enough for "that" laptop user?

(Completely agree that right now the Microsoft store is a work in progress)
I suppose that would be enough.

I don't see how it would replace the iPad though.

Top Bottom