• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

I suppose that would be enough.

I don't see how it would replace the iPad though.

If they aren't looking for the things the iPad can do that the Surface can't and are truly looking for USB support and a good productivity suite then the Surface would be preferable to them obviously.

you've got to recognize both devices do things the other can't. peoples preference are going to be dictated by the value of those exclusive features to them.

zou

Has anyone had any problems using VPNs in general and with Hulu specifically? If I create a VPN connection, for some reason my internet connection (wifi) will show as having connection issues. Though browsing and most apps work fine and it correctly goes through the VPN. Hulu however seems to be sticking with the wifi connection and complains about not having an internet connection.

Seems that they pushed out a firmware update to the surface today..

I'd love to see a change list for that.. but seems unlikely.

Installing it on mine now.. will let you all know if there are any obvious differences.

JaggedSac

Seems that they pushed out a firmware update to the surface today..

I'd love to see a change list for that.. but seems unlikely.

Installing it on mine now.. will let you all know if there are any obvious differences.

Try seeing if app switching or app start up time has improved.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I've considered this but 2GB ram and 32GB space is no real laptop alternative.

Plus as it stands the Windows store is a heap of shit and is in no way going to be able to fully replace either my iPad or Macbook.

I'm going to wait because right now it can't beat my tablet or laptop.

I can see your RAM complaint, but storage won't be an issue if I just get an SD card. Still seriously considering it.

JaggedSac

The Verge is saying that the firmware update has improved app launching times by an average of 2 seconds. How they got to this average was not detailed though. In the comments, Tom also stated that general app performance with multiple apps open has improved as well.

The Verge is saying that the firmware update has improved app launching times by an average of 2 seconds. How they got to this average was not detailed though. In the comments, Tom also stated that general app performance with multiple apps open has improved as well.

God...they really want me to buy this thing.

And I work at a tech company where I know that if I get it and take it to work, people will compare it to the iPad (which we sell) and will want one.

Totakeke

Games seem to load much faster, apps that need connection to the internet doesn't feel that there's any significant difference.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
They have been "modest", according to Ballmer.

It's a bomb.

yea i saw that thread, i was hoping for some actual numbers of sales. crazy huh.

man i was really hoping this would do "well" at least. i knew they shoudlve sold it for a lower price (even though the current price is pretty "low"), or not, i am not a business man.

maeh2k

yea i saw that thread, i was hoping for some actual numbers of sales. crazy huh.

man i was really hoping this would do "well" at least. i knew they shoudlve sold it for a lower price (even though the current price is pretty "low"), or not, i am not a business man.

The actual French quote doesn't say that it's a bomb. It says that due to the nature of their slow roll-out it doesn't make sense to talk about numbers yet. After all they only sell the thing in like six countries, and only through their stores (of which there aren't many and which are basically all in the US) or online. Whatever number they could put out would seem small compared to the competition. However the quote does absolutely not translate to "it's selling below expectations".

Mine is fine, but I have the black one and I read that the issue may not be present in that model.

I'm just hoping mine (cyan) holds out at least until after they figure out the issue and resolve it. they sounded very surprised to hear about the problem, and I genuinely believe that they tested the shit out of everything. I wonder what they missed?

derFeef

I mean if I am a customer and angry about built quality I would take some pictures... that's weird that there is nothing far.

kazinova

I took the 16gb microSD out of my now defunct Samsung Focus and I can't get my Surface to format the damn thing. Has anyone else had an issue formatting their SD cards?

I took the 16gb microSD out of my now defunct Samsung Focus and I can't get my Surface to format the damn thing. Has anyone else had an issue formatting their SD cards?

ah, that is a known issue with the focus. It does some sort of secure pairing with the SD card making it worthless for other devices.

I remember there was some odd work around with an older Nokia phone, I think. I'd have to google for the details.

here we go, found something:
http://kschang.hubpages.com/hub/Windows-Phone-7-Samsung-Focus-microSD-card-issue-FAQ

It's the N8 that can do it.

aesop

Update has definitely sped up opening of Office apps, as said above. This is promising. Now just bake the java engine into IE10 and I'll be set.

Beowulf28

Anybody here use remote desktop on their Surface? I'm interested in getting one and I'd like to know if the remote is usable for accessing my x86 programs on my desktop.

Totakeke

Anybody here use remote desktop on their Surface? I'm interested in getting one and I'd like to know if the remote is usable for accessing my x86 programs on my desktop.

Several of us do. Works excellent. It's pretty much the RDP experience that you're used to.

JaggedSac

Not sure if anyone else knew about this, I didn't, but there appears to be another Surface firmware update if you go to the Windows Update on the desktop. I already downloaded the one from yesterday and for the hell of it I went to the desktop windows update to see if there was anything there, and there was. I think what happens is that updates show up on the desktop one a little bit before they are shown on the metro one.

Totakeke

Not sure if anyone else knew about this, I didn't, but there appears to be another Surface firmware update if you go to the Windows Update on the desktop. I already downloaded the one from yesterday and for the hell of it I went to the desktop windows update to see if there was anything there, and there was. I think what happens is that updates show up on the desktop one a little bit before they are shown on the metro one.

Just checked and there's only an update for windows defender.

eastmen

Banned

I've just remoted in to use media center on my htpc . It works really well but cablevision only gets me about 5mb/s up. Gotta get fios again

Patch probably didn't speed up anything, but here is what's included (not including security updates)

Link

Update to address Favorites not being displayed in IE10 (Knowledge Base Article ID: 2772501)

Note: This issue occurs because the Internet Explorer property schema is cleared incorrectly.

Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 cumulative update: November 2012 (Article ID 2770917)

Note: This cumulative update includes the following performance and reliability improvements:

*Enable enterprise customers to customize the default lock screen.
*Improves the performance when you wake the computer and when the computer is asleep, in order to improve battery life
*Resolves an issue that may prevent Windows Store Apps from being installed fully
*Other software updates and performance improvements

An update for Microsoft files that contain a digital signature in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 (Article ID 2769165)

Note: The digital signature on files that are produced and signed by Microsoft expires prematurely on a computer that is running Windows and Windows Server 2012.

Fix to enable Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) by using the out-of-the-box (OOBE) wizard in Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 (Article ID 2769034)

Note: This issue occurs because of a race condition in the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store.

In addition to these four, there were four additional security-centric updates that I also got, for a total of eight udates today.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Decided to just get the Surface RT instead of the ATIV. Couldn't resist on how sexy it looks.

Top Bottom