• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Has anyone with knowledge on the subject gotten an in-depth look at the stylus capability of the Surface Pro when it comes to art? Or has this thing only been shown at press events?

hwalker84

My Surface has a horribly slow WiFi connection. The one I returned didn't have this issue. I can't even stream 720p on YouTube. I've tested the transfer speeds to other files on my network and its a pathetic 1.5Mbps. Full 5 bars and connected at 130Mbps. What's the warranty on this thing?

Microsoft Surface sales well below shipments, says iSuppli
Shipments of the Surface RT device, which debuted last quarter, into the channel were about 1.25 million, but sales out of the channel "were significantly lower, maybe on the order of 55 to 60 percent of that figure," said Rhoda Alexander, an analyst at iSuppli, citing the market research firm's estimates.
That would put sales in the range of between roughly 680,000 and 750,000 based on those percentages.
That kind of "sales out" percentage is not unusual, however, according to Alexander, adding that she has seen similar percentages with newly introduced Android devices.
And, needless to say, almost every manufacturer's sales-out figure pales against Apple's, the gold standard, where the percentage is typically in the mid to high 90 percent range or even 100 percent. Apple sold 22.9 million iPads in its most recent reported quarter.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-5...face-sales-well-below-shipments-says-isuppli/

Time for that other guy to make another thread about it. Maybe Riker will make one on the gaming side, too. It's important to get that message out.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Well I went to the MS store yesterday and left.. empty handed. I asked the guy about the Pro reservation fully intending to get one, and he asked me if I'm 100% going to get it. He told me they were only giving tickets to people who were definitely getting it since they only had like 30 cards. I felt kind of put off by that, not to mention I realized the release is a Sat and f goin there on Sat - the ticket was only a reservation for that day.

Then I played around with the RT and the covers and.. I dunno, I got deflated about the Pro. I know the 1st gen of this thing is just not going to be all the bells and whistles, especially looking at how the RT was handled. Now I'm thinking just wait till version 2..

Well I went to the MS store yesterday and left.. empty handed. I asked the guy about the Pro reservation fully intending to get one, and he asked me if I'm 100% going to get it. He told me they were only giving tickets to people who were definitely getting it since they only had like 30 cards. I felt kind of put off by that, not to mention I realized the release is a Sat and f goin there on Sat - the ticket was only a reservation for that day.

Then I played around with the RT and the covers and.. I dunno, I got deflated about the Pro. I know the 1st gen of this thing is just not going to be all the bells and whistles, especially looking at how the RT was handled. Now I'm thinking just wait till version 2..

How was it handled?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
How was it handled?

The hardware was so-so. From the magnet connection issues to the wi-fi issues, to my own personal experience with the touch cover the other day. One of the covers I demoed refused to take keyboard shortcuts. I asked the guy and he was baffled too. I get that a lot of people come in and test type on the thing (though honestly, not that many compared to how many people go to an Apple store) but it just felt like a version 1, which it is.

It was also marketed poorly, which is proven by the recent sales figures. The same situation is happening with the pro. If I did not frequent gaf I would have zero idea the thing even existed, and the only news I would get of it is about the storage bait and switch a week before release on shitty tech blogs. When I do go to the MS store, I'm told that for a Saturday release the official store will only have 30 for presale. Not to mention all the neat stuff that came out of CES that we know will be in the next gen of machines. That's why small news like the type cover being included would have made a huge deal - it gives a pretty big boost to the appearance of added value.

I think the machine is very capable, and I personally love the design and capability, I'm just not sure I'm sold on being an early adopter now. I still have a week to make up my mind.

eastmen

Banned
The hardware was so-so. From the magnet connection issues to the wi-fi issues, to my own personal experience with the touch cover the other day. One of the covers I demoed refused to take keyboard shortcuts. I asked the guy and he was baffled too. I get that a lot of people come in and test type on the thing (though honestly, not that many compared to how many people go to an Apple store) but it just felt like a version 1, which it is.
Yes it suffered from all verison one problems. The surface pro from the hands on seem to have fixed many of the earliest gripes with the surface. Also apple changes out the display hardware very often. They are all on one month cycles and if any bugs come up they are taken out and replaced with new hardware right away. I'm sure that the ms store started the process with the keyboard you found and was most likely replaced by the next day.

It was also marketed poorly, which is proven by the recent sales figures. The same situation is happening with the pro. If I did not frequent gaf I would have zero idea the thing even existed, and the only news I would get of it is about the storage bait and switch a week before release on shitty tech blogs. When I do go to the MS store, I'm told that for a Saturday release the official store will only have 30 for presale. Not to mention all the neat stuff that came out of CES that we know will be in the next gen of machines. That's why small news like the type cover being included would have made a huge deal - it gives a pretty big boost to the appearance of added value.
MS only made 4m surfaces for the quarter. depending on how they made those 4m they wouldn't be able to actually sell 4 . They also had a slow ramp to other retail stores as supply caught up and out paced demand at the ms stores.

Its the same thing with the pro's , I'm sure ms is expecting most of the sales to go to busniesses with fewer people buying them in retail shops. THe news blogs have allways been anti ms as they grew up on apple news during the apple boom. Just look at the amount of negative ms stories they run compared to the others. People who are interested in this product will seek it out and as we see from the previews after ces a lot of these blogs can't even go negative against the device itself. I'm sure once everyone gets these things in their hands and they learn how to set up the used space right we will see great reviews and more positive news coming out.

I think the machine is very capable, and I personally love the design and capability, I'm just not sure I'm sold on being an early adopter now. I still have a week to make up my mind.

Have you read the previews ?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/09/microsoft-surface-pro-hands-on/

I'm an expert

Indeed, the store guy mentioned they had a business liaison coming in to pick up a huge batch of Pros that day. I suppose they allocated more for business reservations than personal reservations. Which is fine, as I'd be using it for professional needs primarily as well.

And yeah, I've read everything on it. You don't have to sell me on the Pro, I want one. I'm just not sure if in 9 months there won't be a new one announced that is the real version 1 of the machine. Just basic early adopter problems. It's like waitin for the price drop on a Vita or for..something to play on a WiiU.

stktt

Banned
I haven't had any issues with WiFi, and the few instances of unresponsiveness from the touch cover were easily remedied by reconnecting it. Sales figures certainly haven't hurt my experience.

eastmen

Banned
Indeed, the store guy mentioned they had a business liaison coming in to pick up a huge batch of Pros that day. I suppose they allocated more for business reservations than personal reservations. Which is fine, as I'd be using it for professional needs primarily as well.

And yeah, I've read everything on it. You don't have to sell me on the Pro, I want one. I'm just not sure if in 9 months there won't be a new one announced that is the real version 1 of the machine. Just basic early adopter problems. It's like waitin for the price drop on a Vita or for..something to play on a WiiU.

I'm getting one and if it goes well the school district will give all teachers one and replace their aging desktops (the majority of them are p4 2.4 ghz gateway machines from 2006)

Anyway even if there is a new one in 9 months who cares , I bet there will be a new one 9 months after that. Just get what you want when you want it or you can end up waiting along time.

Broadwell will have a brand new gpu design and is a micron drop over ivybridge / haswell. That wont be avalible till late 2014 at the earliest. So until then there is no reason to wait , haswell will bring benfits but not as much as people here think.

I'm an expert

I'm getting one and if it goes well the school district will give all teachers one and replace their aging desktops (the majority of them are p4 2.4 ghz gateway machines from 2006)

Anyway even if there is a new one in 9 months who cares , I bet there will be a new one 9 months after that. Just get what you want when you want it or you can end up waiting along time.

Broadwell will have a brand new gpu design and is a micron drop over ivybridge / haswell. That wont be avalible till late 2014 at the earliest. So until then there is no reason to wait , haswell will bring benfits but not as much as people here think.

Shrug, I can buy it now, then sell it, or keep it and buy the new one. It makes no difference to me in that sense. I just feel like watching from a distance how this launch goes first I think. Maybe wait an extra week. The funny thing is if it had out come last week I'd be typing this message on it right now haha.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The hardware was so-so. From the magnet connection issues to the wi-fi issues, to my own personal experience with the touch cover the other day.

Out of all the problems of the Surface, I think the hardware is not one of them. Been using mine daily since launch day, no issues. I don't have touch cover though; I use type.

As far as the marketing goes, I think the problem is the stupid name.

eastmen

Banned
Shrug, I can buy it now, then sell it, or keep it and buy the new one. It makes no difference to me in that sense. I just feel like watching from a distance how this launch goes first I think. Maybe wait an extra week. The funny thing is if it had out come last week I'd be typing this message on it right now haha.

imagine how the apple folks must feel.

Do I buy a new ipad and have to replace all my wires/ acessorys, do I wait a few months for the rumored june ipad 5 rumors.

Do I buy a mini now or do I wait for the june retina mini .

So on and so forth.

I'm an expert

I honestly don't have that issue with my Apple products. I got the first gen Touch day one and had it for 4 years. Saw zero reason to upgrade. Now I have my Phone 4 and have absolutely zero interest in 4S or 5 or 5S or whatever. It's all the same fuckin shit. I don't get why Apple folk love incremental nonsense. That's totally a cool crowd mentality, but good on Apple for making bank on it.

eastmen

Banned
I honestly don't have that issue with my Apple products. I got the first gen Touch day one and had it for 4 years. Saw zero reason to upgrade. Now I have my Phone 4 and have absolutely zero interest in 4S or 5 or 5S or whatever. It's all the same fuckin shit. I don't get why Apple folk love incremental nonsense. That's totally a cool crowd mentality, but good on Apple for making bank on it.
Lol then why the problem with the surface products. Esp getting turned off by the date. Kust a week at this point

I'm an expert

Lol then why the problem with the surface products. Esp getting turned off by the date. Kust a week at this point

Because upgrades in these kind of devices are way more noticeable, and I want to see how MS reacts to reception of the Surface.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
played around with the surface touch keyboard at best buy today. not too impressed with it. If I were to get a Surface I would definitely get the Type Keyboard. I think I may even prefer Windows 8's on-screen keyboard to the touch keyboard.

I'm an expert

played around with the surface touch keyboard at best buy today. not too impressed with it. If I were to get a Surface I would definitely get the Type Keyboard. I think I may even prefer Windows 8's on-screen keyboard to the touch keyboard.

Took like 3 mins to get used to it, but then I loved it. You just have to train yourself to not press down on a key but simply tap it. The only thing I didn't like about it was the jank of shortcuts.

you definitely have to exaggerate your typing a bit, but once you get used to it its quite nice.

That said, i never kept the cover on when using it as a tablet and would just get a type cover for the added usability when i actually want to type.

going to wait on the pro now (sold the RT) until the Helix comes out to see what kind of discounts lenovo has at launch.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I use a Wedge kb and mouse for srs bznss.

senahorse

Has anyone heard anything about when the Pro will be released in Australia, the page for it doesn't even exist anymore that said "coming soon".

eastmen

Banned
Midas Force Power pack 12,000 mah ! 44Wh

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/30279-pov-tgt-midas-force-not-ready

tgt-midas-force-3-1.jpg

tgt-midas-force-3-2.jpg

Something like this would work wonders for the surface pro if we can charge it from usb or get one of these that will charge to ac.

JaggedSac

Anyone able to get their RT apps to update?

I've been having trouble as well, a reset seems to fix it. Apparently, and this might be unrelated to the updating issues, but the Tuesday patches this month cause issues with some surfaces. They will release a fix this month for it.

dLMN8R

There's a known problem with app and Windows updates going on right now. Should be fixed shortly, but in the meantime if you have any issues a reboot should fix it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Anyone know how to undo an SD card redirect format thingy? I can no longer format the SD cards because I linked them using that RT cheat so they could store music. Now I want to undo that process.

MooMoo

So is there no online preorder for the pro? Currently battling my impulse to buy this thing and a 'preorder now' button would certainly push my purchase of this thing over the edge.

I'm an expert

So is there no online preorder for the pro? Currently battling my impulse to buy this thing and a 'preorder now' button would certainly push my purchase of this thing over the edge.

I literally just checked as well. Shit like this is what seems so weird about this launch. It feels super hush hush.

Top Bottom