• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

eastmen

Banned
So my heart is pretty much set on this.

I do have a couple of PC more than Surface questions however, that may or may not seal my purchase.

I plan to get CS6 in the near future. Is that a CPU intensive program more than GPU, so that the i5 in the surface will have no problem with it?

I have my Office 2007 disc that i would like to put on this in lieu of having to buy a new office again. Is there a way to download the program and put in my serial code to run it?

CS6 will run fine. THe more filters you add on to it the slower it will go of course but it still works.

Office 2007 will install you can just rip it from the cd on another pc and put it on flash drive an install it that way.

The surface will perform the same in CS6 and other programs as a mac air or other ultra books.

There aren't any particular reasons the pro wouldn't work with a USB DVD/BD drive are there? I'm assuming it would. Have any reviews tested USB devices like these?

CS6 will run fine. THe more filters you add on to it the slower it will go of course but it still works.

Office 2007 will install you can just rip it from the cd on another pc and put it on flash drive an install it that way.

The surface will perform the same in CS6 and other programs as a mac air or other ultra books.
Thank you. I was worried a new page would mean no one would answer me.

Pooya

There aren't any particular reasons the pro wouldn't work with a USB DVD/BD drive are there? I'm assuming it would. Have any reviews tested USB devices like these?

Of course it will it's a PC,

even Surface RT works with external USB drives, basically anything that windows detects without need for external drivers to be installed should work. you can plug in a printer even.

Ushae

Banned
GAF I'm looking to get a Surface for both myself and my wife after she has our first baby, I need some input from you guys with hands on experience.

Basically I'll use it for..

- Video Playback off my NAS, this consists of a lot of subtitled media and HD movies
- Internet Browsing
- Occasional gaming (skullls of the shogun .. fuck yeah!)
- Some productivity

Any advise if I should bite and go for the RT version or wait for a 2nd iteration before investing?

Finally tried a type cover at Best Buy today. I was very happy about the feedback. I could not stand that touch cover.

Has any one had any durability issues with one?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GAF I'm looking to get a Surface for both myself and my wife after she has our first baby, I need some input from you guys with hands on experience.

- Video Playback off my NAS, this consists of a lot of subtitled media and HD movies
- Internet Browsing
- Some productivity

Any advise if I should bite and go for the RT version or wait for a 2nd iteration before investing?

It will do all the things you ask, but I am not sure about subtitle perf because every time I read about subtitles in codecs it seems like crysis 4 video card issues.

Nero3000

- Internet Browsing
- Some productivity

Surface RT is wonderful for all of those things.

For MKV w/ subtitles look mobile.hd media player in the store.

dLMN8R

I'm not sure about any of those, but I'm hopeful for WiDi. Thurrott was being an idiot about it on this week's Windows Weekly, but I don't think he understands that WiDi is literally acting as a wireless monitor, not simple one-off scenarios of limited things you can send from one device to another. I've always wanted a device that supports it.

Ushae

Banned
It will do all the things you ask, but I am not sure about subtitle perf because every time I read about subtitles in codecs it seems like crysis 4 video card issues.

Yeah I've heard about it's lack of support for mkv format, which accounts for 90% of my video library.

Surface RT is wonderful for all of those things.

For MKV w/ subtitles look mobile.hd media player in the store.

What about the new VLC player project (kickstarter), would that be able to handle most video formats & subtitles?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
How long till we can preorder the Pro? Looking to get the 128, a touch cover and extra power adapter. Plan on mostly watching web vids and fansubs on it and maybe some very light gaming.

MarkusRJR

Can someone try loading up 480p crunchyroll videos on the Surface RT in full screen? I wanna see if they work or not. I'm worried if there's problems loading videos off the site and if subtitles don't show up. Please don't tell me it's one of those blacklisted flash sites. :p

PG2G

Can someone try loading up 480p crunchyroll videos on the Surface RT in full screen? I wanna see if they work or not. I'm worried if there's problems loading videos off the site and if subtitles don't show up. Please don't tell me it's one of those blacklisted flash sites. :p

SD worked, was unable to test 480p because you need an account

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
So I bought a Surface RT (for some reason, I'll probably end up using it for productivity) and am enjoying it for the most part.

First impressions: The ecosystem is lacking IMO (in relation to iOS and Android) and the over OS still feels like a work in progress in some areas. Still, I expected as much as we are still very early on in this products life cycle. I ended up buying one because there is real potential behind this device. People always say never purchase a device for its potential but for it is capable of out of the box. However, as Windows tablet adoption picks up, I expect to see some great software on this thing.

With that said, as I'm sure this has been asked dozens of times--any app recommendations? I'm also looking for a good IRC client.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So I bought a Surface RT (for some reason) and am enjoying it for the most part. The ecosystem is lacking IMO (in relation to iOS and Android) and the over OS still feels like a work in progress in some areas. Still, I expected as much as we are still very early on in this products life cycle. I ended up buying one because there is real potential behind this device. People always say never purchase a device for its potential but for it is capable of out of the box. However, as Windows tablet adoption picks up, I expect to see some great software on this thing.

With that said, as I'm sure this has been asked dozens of times--any app recommendations? I'm also looking for a good IRC client.

I recommend reading or watching some of the OS tips and tricks. That half hour of research turned my neat device into a really awesome, eye opening tool for me.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So I bought a Surface RT (for some reason, I'll probably end up using it for productivity) and am enjoying it for the most part.

First impressions: The ecosystem is lacking IMO (in relation to iOS and Android) and the over OS still feels like a work in progress in some areas. Still, I expected as much as we are still very early on in this products life cycle. I ended up buying one because there is real potential behind this device. People always say never purchase a device for its potential but for it is capable of out of the box. However, as Windows tablet adoption picks up, I expect to see some great software on this thing.

IRC Explorer (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/c210318f-2ec5-4ebf-ac55-87641b4a7733)

clav

Costco?

pwKvNYe.jpg

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Fuck my balls I'd def get it from Costco. Dat exec membership.

edit: wait fuck, that's not the pro. do not want.

Nero3000

Yeah I've heard about it's lack of support for mkv format, which accounts for 90% of my video library.

What about the new VLC player project (kickstarter), would that be able to handle most video formats & subtitles?

It'll be a while before VLC is out. But the app I recommended works extremely well with mkv's.

Totakeke

Is it possible for them to reduce the OS footprint in future updates? I mean--really. This is crazy.

Sure they could, but in the end it's still gonna be much larger than mobile OSes. It's Windows after all. By the time the next major revision of Windows comes out, flash storage should be a lot cheaper anyway.

Pooya

with 64GB model, assuming you get 30G after freeing up potential recovery partition;

you can probably comfortably install all the productivity software you want, photoshop, office and stuff like that. you can use a memory card to make things more comfortable for storing data.

I think if you want to install some games though, 64GB ver isn't going to cut it.

can u cutback the os footprint by turniblng off windows features?

it's possible, but removing what? nothing to free up 10GBs of data for example. not really useful or worthwhile.

eastmen

Banned
My windows 8 install is about 10 gigs. Youll be able to get doen close to that. As another poster says remove the recovery file to usb drive and remove any preinstalled stuff you dont want

Should we do a Surface PRO OT when it comes out ? Some may get confused with the two different verisons getting posted in the same thread

Nero3000

My windows 8 install is about 10 gigs. Youll be able to get doen close to that. As another poster says remove the recovery file to usb drive and remove any preinstalled stuff you dont want

Should we do a Surface PRO OT when it comes out ? Some may get confused with the two different verisons getting posted in the same thread

No, I don't think a new OT is necessary. We have the Windows 8/RT combined OT.

maeh2k

I'm trying to buy 64GB only since I'm just doing digital art, but geez at the remaining space

With an additional 64 GB SD card and the possibility to plug in external usb storage, I don't think it's that bad. My five year old notebook only has 80 GB and I'm managing fine. Since I don't use if for gaming I don't have many big applications installed.

That said, with a tablet you can't easily upgrade later on, so you might want to consider 128 GB.

Top Bottom