• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

I find it incredible that a while back in 2005 I payed $1400 for a shitty dell Laptop and now we are here with a really nice hardware design that includes and SSD, a near top of the line Intel CPU and a touchscreen for $1000.

Anyway, I was so hyped for the Surface pro but now im just going to wait, there are so many things that bother me with it...

1. Should have bundled a keyboard, the touch keyboard is probably super cheap to produce.
2. The kickstand is a huge issue for me, why didnt they implement it in a way that you could select from like 10 different steps of angles? I love that I can rest my current tablet on a desk at less than 30 degrees angles, this is impossible with the Surface.
3. What where they thinking with the pen? they really couldnt add a little pocket for it somewhere in the hardware design?

If I was in the market for a laptop right now I would probably consider the Pro but right now I guess im just gonna continue using my boring company provided Lenovo laptop :(.

MooMoo

So, while I was 99% certain I was getting the Pro instead of the RT, the recent review sort of made me doubt about my decision... I've read all review and watched all video-reviews, and I believe ANAD's review was the most objective of all (and I was a bit disappointed by The Verge's)

Of all reviews, the comment that captured my thoughts about the device was WIRED's video review
video-review was bad though IMO
:

... and that's what I've been looking for... not a Tablet, not another Laptop... and it looks like this is currently the best option out there despite its shortcomings.
That's what I figured too. I know for me, the Pro is gonna be more portable/lighter/have better battery life than my current laptop. The ability to run full Windows 8 on a tablet (i.e. no keyboard attached) is a godsend as at night I often like to lay in bed watching something while browsing (which admittedly works fine with my laptop but I'm almost certain it'll work even better with a tablet). I actually use my laptop mostly for consumption nowadays, with the occasional paper/coding project here and there, so being able to transform it into a laptop for those particular moments is a lot more logical than always having a full fledged laptop. Screen size I'm alright with as my laptop is an 11.3", so the downsize to 10.6" shouldn't be too jarring. The Wacom pen/digitizer is just an added bonus.

I can see why people would be disappointed as it's not the perfect synergy of laptop/tablet. But for those who know what they want or can get behind what the Pro has to offer, I doubt those people will be dissapointed.

ElNino

I find it incredible that a while back in 2005 I payed $1400 for a shitty dell Laptop and now we are here with a really nice hardware design that includes and SSD, a near top of the line Intel CPU and a touchscreen for $1000.
I bought my first laptop for University in 1996 and I paid about $2500 for an IBM Thinkpad that had a passive screen.... things have come a long way.

I played around with the Pro for a bit at lunch and while it was a bit warm, I would attribute that to the screen being on for hours already and it being actively plugged in the whole time. The size and weight seem fine to me since this would be replacing laptop usage for me more than a tablet (and I still have an iPad and Playbook in case I really need a "tablet"). Battery life is the only thing that I really wish was better, but it is probably the least of my concerns so I should be fine with it in practice.

Nero3000

Some points that have been mulling around my head after reading a fair amount of the reviews this morning:

- Battery life is as expected (4.5 to 5.5 hrs), a bit low but not unexepcted. There is a massive inconsistency in the reported battery times which I am going to put down to app selection. Maybe the video application they used isn't the most optimised, maybe the browser they used needs more CPU power, maybe they are running a few background processes (IRC), maybe the power mode is not the most battery friendly. I would like to see what difference (if any) putting the PC in power saver mode does.

- Every "main stream" tech blog dismissed the stylus as a nice accessory, like they have been brainwashed into thinking that a stylus is wrong and never bothered to try and use. The verge kept on calling it a capacitive stylus. I only saw one review look at its merits in OneNote.

- Does no reviewer understand that the cameras are there for video conferencing only? Does anyone want to take pictures holding up a (heavy) tablet?

- For a writer, I can understand that they need to sit with a laptop on their lap to write. However for most people using an iPad seems fine, and for short text input i'm sure either the onscreen keyboard or stylus panel input will work great. As for the video, while I have experience that a few times, it did feel over contrived.

- One major complaint was the DPI scaling, in particular the non-integer and how its a global setting and not independent of display. This is a very valid concern, and one I hope Microsoft looks to rectify in a software update.

Overall I expected the battery life to improve slightly (5%) with firmware updates down the line and I expect the Haswell version will add another 20% to the battery life. But I still have a Surface Pro on my shopping list when it releases in the UK - whenever that is.

Goldrush

Any artist's review of the stylus on the Surface Pro? I'm not one, but most reviews just toss in a paragraph or two about it. While I'm not a power user, I would like to know if the stylus is just another navigation tool or will I be able to do everything I could do with the Wacom tablet?

Nero3000

From the redditt AMA:

irishchug:

Does Microsoft have any plans for an external battery or for a thicker keyboard cover that has an extra battery? Or, if I want an external battery brick, is there a third party one I can buy that can be used with the surface.

Surfaceteam:

That would require extending the design of the accessory spine to include some way to transfer higher current between the peripheral and the main battery. Which we did...

and:

e9G7ymWec4svnd6Cq9A9:

What are the new connectors on the bottom of the Surface Pro for?

SurfaceTeam:

Wow - I'm pumped you caught that - we haven't announced what they are for but they aren't an accident! At launch we talked about the "accessory spine" and hinted at future peripherals that can click in and do more. Those connectors look like can carry more current than the pogo pins, don't they?

Subitai

I will unbox the fuck out of it. I'm totally hyped for this thing. (I have never done an unboxing video)
heh, thanks! lol

No worries, I'm sure they'll be a bunch out there in the coming weeks. Just means more when you have more context about the reviewer.

eastmen

Banned
Anyone know if u can use the rt charger on the pro?

yes but it will charge at roughly half the speed

Surface Pro retains the same large, magnetic power connector as Surface RT. In fact, Surface RT’s power adapter will still charge Surface Pro. The Pro model does however come with its own 48W adapter. It’s a nice looking, but large and still fairly traditional two piece power supply (brick + detachable wall cable). There’s no sophisticated cable management other than a tiny hook to help keep the device end of the cable together. One neat feature is the power adapter does feature an integrated USB port for charging your smartphone.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6695/microsoft-surface-pro-review/9

I'll most likely buy a second pro charger and keep it in my timbuk2 as the size difference between them doesn't warrant the halving of speed.

He said it takes 2.692 hours to charge the surface with the packed in one. So yea

Nero3000

worries me though. I don't want to buy a cover now only to see them release one with a battery. I hope they announce on Saturday other wise i'd be pissed if a month later it comes out

Hmm my personal preference would be to get a touch cover at time of sale. If a "battery cover" came out later, I would get one and use that when I need long(er) battery life.

eastmen

Banned
Hmm my personal preference would be to get a touch cover at time of sale. If a "battery cover" came out later, I would get one and use that when I need long(er) battery life.

I've used both extensively and I don't care that much for the touch cover. I was planning to go type cover at launch. But this worries me because what if its not a cover but just a stand or something ?

iFootball

So, I just came back from BestBuy.... I think my local best buy should rethink their MS Surface demo-unit layout
Gql6hFE.jpg

eastmen

Banned
the ms store in my mall (its a kiosk) doesn't have any security on them. That's the way to go but these big box stores don't want to actually pay employees and thus you get a horrible customer experience.

Any artist's review of the stylus on the Surface Pro? I'm not one, but most reviews just toss in a paragraph or two about it. While I'm not a power user, I would like to know if the stylus is just another navigation tool or will I be able to do everything I could do with the Wacom tablet?
I'd really like to see this too. The main reason I want one is so it can be my portable Photoshop machine.

From what I've heard from the grapevine, it's a Wacom digitizer with 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity. So it would be as high as the intuos line, or previous gen Cintiqs. I'm considering getting one and selling off my portable cintiq for that very reason. Other wacom pens work with it, as well.

eastmen

Banned
Stop cherrypicking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCPyUbw8AzY

this dude can use it in his lap while sitting on a balance ball and curses a lot .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peIa1PEOLi4

this dude uses it in his lap for over an hour in a time lapse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vfILGoUfug

only braking seems to cause a problem for this dude while using the surface in the back of a taxi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iCLcjQfOtI

just a few in a quick youtube search. Though I'm sure that guy in the verge video is right

From what I've heard from the grapevine, it's a Wacom digitizer with 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity. So it would be as high as the intuos line, or previous gen Cintiqs. I'm considering getting one and selling off my portable cintiq for that very reason. Other wacom pens work with it, as well.
Awesome. I wasn't sure how many levels of pressure the Intuos line had. Damn I really want this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCPyUbw8AzY

this dude can use it in his lap while sitting on a balance ball and curses a lot .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peIa1PEOLi4

this dude uses it in his lap for over an hour in a time lapse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vfILGoUfug

only braking seems to cause a problem for this dude while using the surface in the back of a taxi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iCLcjQfOtI

just a few in a quick youtube search. Though I'm sure that guy in the verge video is right

Sorry, I'm horrible at sarcasm.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

I'm gonna go to Best Buy today with a USB stick w/ Paint Tool SAI and try it out in about 4 hours. I'll report back later today. (assuming they have the pen. If they don't I'll try an S-Pen)

My art cridentials:

Self Portrait

Animu

iFootball

...so, like I said on my previous post, I was just in BestBuy and played with both units for a little while... I decided to pre-order a 128GB Surface Pro =) .. it's just the type of hybrid that I was looking for, and I'm ok with the drawbacks for now

oh by the way, being the 'big' BestBuy in the city, I was told I was the fourth person to place a pre-order today... not really sure what that says about demand.

worries me though. I don't want to buy a cover now only to see them release one with a battery. I hope they announce on Saturday other wise i'd be pissed if a month later it comes out

i think that's y they r not advertising this battery keyboards so u would double dip.

I might just get the tablet for now. use the on screen keyboard or get a wedge keyboard

this is the reason I went this Saturday at MS store to check out the stylus and sketch some stuff. I'm really impressed by it. I can put my palm on the screen while drawing on One Note with no problem

So I feel like a weirdo... I've never gotten used to using a laptop on my lap. It's always uncomfortable for me. I need a desk. Anyone else have the same experience?

So I feel like a weirdo... I've never gotten used to using a laptop on my lap. It's always uncomfortable for me. I need a desk. Anyone else have the same experience?

Yeah, I never actually use a laptop on my lap--feels so low and gets too hot. I always have a wide book or one of those "laptop pillow" things.

well it's official. my dept is all getting bought a 64 gig Pro. the purchase request was approved today, and the Microsoft store we are purchasing from confirmed they had our units set aside. obviously i'd prefer the 128 gig version, but hey, it's not like it's costing me anything.

i'm looking forwards to seeing how this compares to my RT, and it's going to provide a lot of use cases for me. it's going to be my new notebook, obviously. i'm planning on making it my primary workstation in fact. 4 days a week I work mostly at my desk, 1 day a week I work over at another site where I don't really have a single workspace, just whatever's available.

this thing is going to make doing the inventory here a lot easier, and make one note a lot more useful. and it's probably going to play AVP classic just fine on certain occasions ;)

I've never had any problems using my RT on my lap with the touch covers. I know a lot of people swear by the type cover, but I wouldn't trade my touch cover in for one, and I'm glad work is buying touch covers rather than type covers for the surface pros.

DagsJT

Can anyone tell me if Surface RT's are warranty checked by serial or by receipt? I've got a good deal on one but there's no receipt so not sure where I'd stand with Microsoft if there was a problem.

Can anyone tell me if Surface RT's are warranty checked by serial or by receipt? I've got a good deal on one but there's no receipt so not sure where I'd stand with Microsoft if there was a problem.

With most computers if you don't have proof of purchase then your warranty is generally tied to the serial number. For example if serial was tied to a lot that shipped out with launch, then your warranty will probably until oct.xx.2013
If you have proof of purchase then it would be from the date on the receipt.

DagsJT

With most computers if you don't have proof of purchase then your warranty is generally tied to the serial number. For example if serial was tied to a lot that shipped out with launch, then your warranty will probably until oct.xx.2013
If you have proof of purchase then it would be from the date on the receipt.

Cheers. Unfortunately I've found out that the Surface didn't include a keyboard so not such a good deal after all. The search continues.

zorbsie

So, I just came back from BestBuy.... I think my local best buy should rethink their MS Surface demo-unit layout

Had a similar experience when I wanted to check out the Yoga. The lock prevented the unit from folding over. When I asked for it to be removed, I was essentially laughed at. Thanks best buy.

coldfoot

Banned
When a "small high DPI screen" is now a downside,
It's a downside when the OS and apps don't properly scale across it!

the type keyboard is a mediocre keyboard, a touchpad which functions well now shitty,
Compare them with a Macbook Air, even an Asus UX31, and you'll see it's shitty.

and all these stuffs has nothing to do with the "ecosystem", this argument is full of bullshit. Since when is iPad the de facto standard for "ecosystem", especially it has all of little niggles like you need to convert video formats to play on it?
You don't need to convert, you can buy a $3 app that will play anything. Or get an Android tablet.

Windows 8 deserves a +10 over other "ecosystems" when it has the ability to access networks and all the good stuff that comes with that instead of relying on cables or the cloud.
Non metro Windows 8 is as useless as Windows 7 was on a touchscreen.

How about that for "ecosystem". How about when I connect the device to a larger monitor then connect keyboards, mouse, and have it run pretty much like a desktop? How about that for "ecosystem". Is that unfair because iPad cannot do that and "tablets" are meant to be touch devices? The comparison is stupid in the first place.
Mass market has decided that tablets are pretty much entertainment and light work devices.

eastmen

Banned
It's a downside when the OS doesn't properly scale across it!
Works fine for me and they claim they have improvements coming down the pipe. So don't see a big deal.

Compare them with a Macbook Air, even an Asus UX31, and you'll see it's shitty.

Yet infinitely better than touch on a mac book air or a stylus on a mac air

You don't need to convert, you can buy a $3 app that will play anything.
How do you get it on the ipad to begin with ?

Non metro Windows 8 is as useless as Windows 7 was on a touchscreen.
Works perfectly fine with the included pen and at 125-150% scaling works as well as ios with touch.

Mass market has decided that tablets are pretty much entertainment and light work devices.
Maybe but maybe not. The market will continue to change and the ipad has a slew of hugely popular keyboard / mouse accessories

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Just got back from best buys and I'm sold. My brother and I played with one for nearly an hour. They let me preorder it with the $50 gift card thing, also bought the touch cover in blue since they only had 1 left. I'll stop back for the rt charger before Saturday since it works.

For what I use my laptop and ipad for its great (watching fansubs, streaming hd vids, reading comics and web browsing).

coldfoot

Banned
Works fine for me and they claim they have improvements coming down the pipe. So don't see a big deal.
You don't represent the majority, so working fine for you is pointless. Many people don't even use their LCD's at their native resolution because the text is too small, and just adjusting text size doesn't work across the board with all apps, so people just use a lower screen resolution. There are no such worries on the iPad.

Yet infinitely better than touch on a mac book air or a stylus on a mac air
Most people would rather use traditional Windows apps like MS office with a proper keyboard and touchpad than a stylus or touchscreen. And the iPad leads on touch enabled apps by a wide margin.

How do you get it on the ipad to begin with ?
Either through iTunes or from a web page that the app serves up.

Works perfectly fine with the included pen and at 125-150% scaling works as well as ios with touch.
The market disagrees.

Maybe but maybe not. The market will continue to change and the ipad has a slew of hugely popular keyboard / mouse accessories
Keyboard makes sense for people who type a lot. There are no mouse accessories for the iPad that work across the OS. The only use they have is through specialized apps like remote desktop.
There is a reason that the keyboard/mouse combo has not been dethroned in over 30 years.

DagsJT

Just got back from best buys and I'm sold. My brother and I played with one for nearly an hour. They let me preorder it with the $50 gift card thing, also bought the touch cover in blue since they only had 1 left. I'll stop back for the rt charger before Saturday since it works.

For what I use my laptop and ipad for its great (watching fansubs, streaming hd vids, reading comics and web browsing).

Couldn't you have bought the cheaper RT if they are your main uses?

eastmen

Banned
You don't represent the majority, so working fine for you is pointless. Many people don't even use their LCD's at their native resolution because the text is too small, and just adjusting text size doesn't work across the board with all apps, so people just use a lower screen resolution. There are no such worries on the iPad.
Why ? My mother with her ipad 3 has to zoom in crazy close so that the words are big enough for her to read. Seems to affect people even on that platform.

Most people would rather use traditional Windows apps like MS office with a proper keyboard and touchpad than a stylus or touchscreen. And the iPad leads on touch enabled apps by a wide margin.
The ipad doesn't offer any traditional windows apps and never will while every day more touch enabled apps are released for windows 8 .

The great thing about the surface pro is that you can connect anything to it.

Either through iTunes or from a web page that the app serves up.
So I have to use a sub par piece of software to get my movies ? I can't just plug in a usb cable and use the built in file managers to move the files around from pc to tablet ?

The market disagrees.

Doesn't seem like they do considering how the devices in the market vary . If people wanted a movie / web surfing machine only then ipad would have a 100% of the market. The fact that android tablets exist and make up almost half the market proves you wrong as they offer more than ipads even if its not much more

coldfoot

Banned
Why ? My mother with her ipad 3 has to zoom in crazy close so that the words are big enough for her to read. Seems to affect people even on that platform.
But she doesn't have any problem scrolling or hitting the buttons on the browser app or any other app. 1920x1080 on a 10.6" screen with traditional windows apps means you will miss scroll bars, menus, buttons when trying to use that touchscreen.

So I have to use a sub par piece of software to get my movies ? I can't just plug in a usb cable and use the built in file managers to move the files around from pc to tablet ?
Get an Android tablet if that bothers you so much then.

If people wanted a movie / web surfing machine only then ipad would have a 100% of the market.
That makes no sense as Android tablets are also perfectly capable of browsing the web and watching movies. The market wants a CHEAP movie/web surfing machine, hence Android marketshare.

eastmen

Banned
But she doesn't have any problem scrolling or hitting the buttons on the browser app or any other app. 1920x1080 on a 10.6" screen with traditional windows apps means you will miss scroll bars, menus, buttons when trying to use that touchscreen.
and yet she uses a dumb stylus on it. The pro will have an even more precise stylus and will be even better for her.

Get an Android tablet if that bothers you so much then.
I have one. I want something that lets me do even more than an android tablet so I don't need a laptop also
That makes no sense as Android tablets are also perfectly capable of browsing the web and watching movies. The market wants a CHEAP movie/web surfing machine, hence Android marketshare.

android allows you to do more than what you can do on an ipad.

Top Bottom