• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surprised by the quality of the Nintendo DS

fugimax

Thanks for the report.

How was the weight? Some reports said it was on the heavy side.

Also nice to see a DS thread outside of the moderator-mandated "official" thread that buries all the new information.

Brannon

The best way to support the official sitcky thread is to post new DS info in new threads, then after they slow down, merge them with the sticky thread, that way all the info is in one place, but everybody has had a chance to read it. I think that'd be best.

Call me crazy, but it sounds like you were playing the E3 iteration of Metroid Hunters. That version you had to tap the screen to shoot. The new version you simply tap the L button to fire, and touching the screen is simply for looking.

Not sure about that. The first four control options don't use that feature. I'm not sure what that 5th option is right now though. Perhaps it is that old E3 setup (though that would be really silly, as you could point where you want to shoot at E3 and with the gameplay being on the top now, you wouldn't even see where you are pointing at any more.)

Prine

Banned
Hellraizah said:
Every other company was always making references to them by saying things like : "This game will be coming out on November 2............. yeah......... one week before Halo 2.........". They gave us lots of stuff (like the US managers), and everyone was cheering like crazy at their conferences.

:D

Hellraizah

About the weight, yeah it's a little on the heavy side, and the console itself is not very small. I'd say it's a little bigger than the original GBA but thicker. However, it really feels solid, and that was what impressed me.

I didn't try to change the controls, but if you can do it this way, I think it would really be better. The only thing would be the aiming, I don't know if it would really be cool.

Hellraizah

seismologist said:
good news about the DS. I was a bit worried about the ergonomics. What did you think of the size and the screen quality?
As I said, it's a little big, it's really not comparable to the SP, but the screen quality is REALLY good, I was worried about the "stylus" screen, but it's really looking good. I did, however, not like the fact that it was hard to keep the screens at the right angle while using the stylus, thus making you not see well frequently. In a dark game like Metroid, you can't accept anything other than seeing really well, and you know about LCD displays, if you don't look at it from the right angle, you lose a lot of colors, making seeing in it really difficult. Again, I guess you get used to holding it firmly at the right angle.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Ha ha I like the President of Nintendo of Canada. He seems like a funny guy.

Not suprised with Microsoft stealing the show, Halo 2 is a monster.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
IGN complained that the DS felt flimsy in some parts, like the joins where the screen swivels being a bit too loose (that was their TGS hands-on). Did you notice any of that?

Hellraizah

Marconelly said:
IGN complained that the DS felt flimsy in some parts, like the joins where the screen swivels being a bit too loose (that was their TGS hands-on). Did you notice any of that?
Nope, however, I didn't have the time to observe the unit a lot, you know, in these types of conferences, everything is going a little to fast, and everyone wants to see it. But my first impression is really that the unit is solid, and the screens are really looking good, quality wise. I thought it would look a lot cheaper that this, but I really like the feel of it, when you have it in your hands, you really feels is built for heavy use.

Redbeard

Banned
The guy is really cool, he started his conference by picking on the Xbox guys that were in the back of the room by saying : "We don't believe in online, sorry Xbox".

Shouldn't it be, "sorry Nintendo fans"?

Hellraizah

Redbeard said:
Shouldn't it be, "sorry Nintendo fans"?
Well, it was a little weird, considering in a conference before, they were touting the fact that it would be possible to play online on the DS. And that would require a broadband internet connection AND a wireless network to do it. And, people talking about HotSpots, please, the day you'll use wireless network enabled things (PDAs, laptops, etc...) you'll see that there's not so many HotSpots that are not encrypted, leaving the majority of HotSpots not really useful for this type of use.

hooo

boooy
Hellraizah said:
I didn't try to change the controls, but if you can do it this way, I think it would really be better. The only thing would be the aiming, I don't know if it would really be cool.

It should be pretty easy to tell the difference between the older and newer builds. The E3 build of hunters used the bottom screen for the 1st person action where the newer build uses the top (the bottom was just UI).

garrickk

Project Midway said:
Doesnt DS support any encryption methods like WEP for example?

It would have to! Maybe that just hasn't been shown yet. I mean, what kind of moron broadcasts their SSID and doesn't encrypt their wireless network?? I'm not an ISP, but too many of my neighbors are.

garrickk

krypt0nian said:
That would be handled in software. No big.

Actually, it would be setup in software, but the de-encrypting/encrypting would have to be done (built into) the wireless chipset unless you want to see a HUGE amount of work being done by the CPU's just to augment the data stream.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Nope, however, I didn't have the time to observe the unit a lot, you know, in these types of conferences, everything is going a little to fast, and everyone wants to see it. But my first impression is really that the unit is solid, and the screens are really looking good, quality wise. I thought it would look a lot cheaper that this, but I really like the feel of it, when you have it in your hands, you really feels is built for heavy use.
Sounds good. Can't wait till' the stores start getting demo units. Should be pretty soon I hope :)

Sony, I assume, didn't have any PSPs at that conference?

snapty00

Banned
I hope they go for WPA, too, because that's what we're using now. Otherwise, I guess I won't be getting on the Internet with it.

snapty00

Banned
Marconelly said:
Sounds good. Can't wait till' the stores start getting demo units. Should be pretty soon I hope :)
Yeah, we'll know it's you because you'll be the only one standing in Wal-Mart's electronics center pointing and laughing at the DS, giggling and snickering to yourself, "Oh, man, Sony is so gonna own this thing! I can't wait to get home and tell GAF!"

:p

Great show all around, I can't wait for Halo 2 and the DS.

I never thought you would ever put those two products in the same sentence. Coming from you, the DS must be really good. Great impressions, thanks!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, we'll know it's you because you'll be the only one standing in Wal-Mart's electronics center pointing and laughing at the DS, giggling and snickering to yourself, "Oh, man, Sony is so gonna own this thing! I can't wait to get home and tell GAF!"
HAW HAW. Don't worry too much about it - I never get to see anything first, so whatever my impressions are going to be, they'll be of the 'late to the party kind of thing ;)

Hellraizah

The Main Event said:
I never thought you would ever put those two products in the same sentence. Coming from you, the DS must be really good. Great impressions, thanks!
I never thought I would do it before either. But the DS really caught me off guard, we tried PictoChat and it was really cool, then, at the vendor show, I got to try Metroid Prime, and yeah, I was playing on the bottom screen, so it was probably the E3 demo.

People here that knows me know that I'm very far from being a Nintendo fanboy, and trust me, my opinions on this aren't biased whatsoever. I really thought that the Nintendo DS wasn't very cool in the beginning, but right now I'm really looking forward to it a lot more than the PSP.

And Marconelly, nope, Sony wasn't showing the PSP, and they weren't showing much either. I got to see GT4 at the show, which was playing a huge plama or LCD display, but the console was set to widescreen while the display was set to 4:3, so the ratio was fucked up.

What I found really funny was all these companies all taking a shot at each other. I particularly laughed when the Namco guy said something like "Goodbye NFS:U 2 and GT4" while showing SRS's box. He was blasting Donkey Konga while showing Taiko, etc. The Microsoft guys were all about "We want people to play together, not live in your world, play in ours".

What was really a hot topic at the show was who would be foolish enough to release something for November 9.
Ding.
Ding.
Ding.
Killzone.

Hellraizah

Oh, and by the way The Main Event, I tried to win a set of Donkey Konga with 4 pairs of bongo for you that Nintendo was giving away at the conference, but my knowledge of Electronic Arts wasn't good enough. The girl asked what were the 2 games that were annonced by EA for the DS last week, and I had 1 out of 2. Anyways, I brought you back a "Old School" Nintendo t-shirt with the old style controller on top.

I brought back Fable for Oneself, and like 4 or 5 games that I'll be giving to Bernace tonight.

Hellraizah

Justin Bailey said:
That's odd considering Namco was the developer of DK.
Haha, didn't even think about it. He said something like :

"You don't have to clap your hands to play this"

The way he said it, it was really sounding negative. About each game he was showing, he was taking a shot at another game.

Spike

Hey Hellraizah, I was talking to my local EB manager today and he said that Nintendo is giving the managers a free DS. True?

Also, he said that Microsoft confirmed the Crystal Xbox is launching on November with Fable and Crimson Skies. He said Canadian exclusive, is that true?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Spike said:
Hey Hellraizah, I was talking to my local EB manager today and he said that Nintendo is giving the managers a free DS. True?

Also, he said that Microsoft confirmed the Crystal Xbox is launching on November with Fable and Crimson Skies. He said Canadian exclusive, is that true?

gamestop managers are getting free DS's also.

AniHawk

Hellraizah said:
but right now I'm really looking forward to it a lot more than the PSP.

nuclear4.jpg

Kon Tiki

Banned
I tried Metroid Prime : Hunter, and really hated the controls, but maybe it's just "get used to". I thought it was really not precise to aim with the stylus, and I didn't like the fact that you had to shoot first if you want to turn your character (you shoot the second the stylus hit the screen and you have to move the stylus on the screen to move the character, so you always shoot one time whenever you want to turn, which makes it pretty difficult for someone who would want to sneak and surprise someone else).

Should of switched to PEN mode, where you shoot with L trigger. That sounds like the e3 control method, TR.

Ranger X

Staying at the ergonomics question, be sure to give me your impression when you'll get your hands on a PSP dude.
I was just as surprised by this one that you seem to be surprised by the DS.

Top Bottom