• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sweden’s ‘feminist’ government criticized for wearing headscarves in Iran

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
It's telling that this criticism is being aimed at the so-quoted "feminists" in Sweden's government, and not at the idea of Sweden trading with an authoritarian country and the Swedish PM barely making a peep about human rights when he met with Rouhani.

http://www.thelocal.se/20170211/lfven-brings-up-human-rights-in-iran

Thats my issue with this. Call out Sweden for this, but this obviously is a very pointed criticism at these women. The solidarity picture seals it. They're in control of what happens in their country and that should still be applauded. Article diminishes them which I dont think is fair at all.

The criticism is fair. They aren't Muslim and they are elected diplomats. Sure it was their own choice to smooth over their visit, but it was also a weak move.

Wearing a scarf as a religious practice is one thing. Being intimidated into wearing them is bullshit. They shouldn't have to alter their appearance to appease them.

Are you talking about the same people with these two paragraphs?

Abelard

Yeah, Sweden deserves the flak (too bad it will fuel the alt-right narrative in the process), we need to stop bowing to regressive and archaic customs. We are the west motherfucker!

I remember as a child President Mary Robinson not wearing a headscarf meeting the Pope and and why should she?

Nor did President Mary McAleese wear it in Saudi Arabia.
(Though I'd question whether we should send anyone there in the first place.)

Kinyou

Thats my issue with this. Call out Sweden for this, but this obviously is a very pointed criticism at these women. The solidarity picture seals it. They're in control of what happens in their country and that should still be applauded. Article diminishes them which I dont think is fair at all.
I don't think it's wrong to complain about it after they specifically announced a "feminist foreign policy" but also true that dealing with Iran despite all the human rights violation is a much bigger issue.

kmax

I'm confounded by some of the answers here.

If I decide to visit your house, I'll very much make certain to respect your rules. If I have a problem with how you run your house, I'll make sure to let you know and ultimately not visit. It's pretty basic ettiquette at play here. Had this been the other way around (if the Iranians had visited Sweden), then we'd be having a different discussion, but that's not what's going on here. Sweden deems that trade and a healthy relationship with Iran is worth doing, so that's why they're doing it.

They realise this themselves.

Speaking to Expressen, Linde said she had not wanted to wear a headscarf. ”But it is law in Iran that women must wear the veil. One can hardly come here and break the laws," she explained.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/02/13/swedens-feminist-government-criticized-for-wearing-headscarves-in-iran/?utm_term=.82423945fa3c

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Diplomacy is having to put up with someone you don't agree with. Otherwise there would be need for diplomacy. So, you have this country that is in the middle of a conflict zone and you want their support. Do you A) boycott them and isolate them, or B) play friendly so that there is a cultural exchange (don't worry, freedom always win people over eventually) so that both countries can benefit?

Heck, Iran was almost one of the cool countries before their revolution and when freedom was lost. They'll be back some day. We want them as allies even though they're going through a rough spot.

Dalibor68

Banned
I'm confounded by some of the answers here.

If I decide to visit your house, I'll very much make certain to respect your rules. If I have a problem with how you run your house, I'll make sure to let you know and ultimately not visit. It's pretty basic ettiquette at play here. Had this been the other way around (if the Iranians had visited Sweden), then we'd be having a different discussion, but that's not what's going on here. Sweden deems that trade and a healtyh relationship with Iran is worth doing, so that's why they're doing it.

They realise this themselves.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/02/13/swedens-feminist-government-criticized-for-wearing-headscarves-in-iran/?utm_term=.82423945fa3c

The mistakes you make are that a) it's not a two way street, as Iran as shown multiple times. You come to their house - you must confirm to their stances. They come to your house - you also must confirm to their stances (see handshake issue and italian statues). And b) that both things are equal when they are clearly not. There's a huge difference between having to accept that people live in a free society vs having to accept that you are a second-tier citizen because of your gender and thus have to cover yourself up.

Of course it was a pragmatic decisions because they want the money aka business deals and connections. Doesn't make the bending over backwards any better though from a moral perspective.

Heck, Iran was almost one of the cool countries before their revolution and when freedom was lost. They'll be back some day. We want them as allies even though they're going through a rough spot.

It's really a shame because they're young and would have so much potential as a modern nation, yet are held back by the old fundamentalists.

Condom

CZzCKB7WQAALWjG.jpg

they didn't ask for them to be removed tho iirc

Morat

Banned

Perhaps you mean before the US and the UK sponsored a coup that removed the democratic [ish] system and reinstalled the Shah? Because the Islamic revolution was a direct consequence of that

Perhaps you mean before the US and the UK sponsored a coup that removed the democratic [ish] system and reinstalled the Shah? Because the Islamic revolution was a direct consequence of that

Yep the damage done by colonials. It's insane.

And isn't the Islamic revolution a partial recon? After revolution the liberal element were sidelined then disappeared but were ultimately integral in it succeeding?

From everyone I've heard who has traveled there the people are wonderful and generous. I really feel for them.

Nivash

The mistakes you make are that a) it's not a two way street, as Iran as shown multiple times. You come to their house - you must confirm to their stances. They come to your house - you also must confirm to their stances (see handshake issue and italian statues). And b) that both things are equal when they are clearly not. There's a huge difference between having to accept that people live in a free society vs having to accept that you are a second-tier citizen because of your gender and thus have to cover yourself up.

Quite the opposite, I'd argue that not forcing people to adhere to certain customs if they don't want to is perfecty in line with liberal Swedish values. We don't think that Swedish men forcefully grabbing the hands of women who don't want to shake hands with them as striking some kind of blow for women's rights, for instance. We rightfully consider it borderline asssault.

http://www.sydsvenskan.se/2010-06-23/lakare-tvingade-patient-skaka-hand

As for the Iran visit, we also have a tradition of respecting the rules of the host even if we don't necessarily share them. We'd take our shoes off when entering their home even if we'd had a habit of keeping them on in our own, for instance. I understand why this can come off as weak and hypocritical, but I don't think that at all - I think it's perfectly in line with our values.

There's an argument to be made that they should have made a political statement by refusing to wear the hijabs. However, I trust them to have had a good enough reason to choose not to.

It's really a shame because they're young and would have so much potential as a modern nation, yet are held back by the old fundamentalists.

This I can agree with, but I also don't see how adding ourselves to their long list of percieved enemies would necessarily change that. The trade agreement is part of a long term effort to strengthen peaceful relations, if that helps us influence them further down the line, the hijab wearing during visits could very well be worth it. Something I'm sure the delegation took into account.

E-phonk

Banned
Euh, I was in Iran a few months ago and wearing scarves is obligated by law (in public places), it's not a choice...
You dont' do it out of coutesy but because you have to. Police will come to you and tell you to wear one if you don't.

Once you are at home or with family you are free to go as you want.

From everyone I've heard who has traveled there the people are wonderful and generous. I really feel for them.

Yeah, it's a great country with friendly and open people who are, contrary to how media might show them, look up to western culture - especially young people who would want their country to be a lot more liberal.
But they are also very proud of their country, and dislike the huge bias other parts of the world have against it.

I'm a little surprised that progressive Sweden is rushing to make trade deals with an authoritarian country that has massive human rights problems. But apparently Sweden was Iran's biggest trading partner before the sanctions were put in place. And they really want to sell some buses to Iran.

Sweden usually hasn't let progressive politics get in the way of good business. See their arms exports to some shadier countries.

Not that I blame them, Sweden knows how to handle economics better than most countries.

Zaru

Ever since learning more about Iran I've considered them a great people stuck behind an oppressive regime. Unlike some of the nearby failed states in the middle east, I think democracy would actually work there if someone got rid of the religious regime/revolutionary guard.
But then Saudi Arabia would probably start meddling to ruin everything.

kmax

The mistakes you make are that a) it's not a two way street, as Iran as shown multiple times. You come to their house - you must confirm to their stances. They come to your house - you also must confirm to their stances (see handshake issue and italian statues).

That's a false equivalence as those are separate issues and not in any way connected with this. They have nothing to do with what is going on here. You can't point at other directions to justify your shitty behaviour. You're still being shitty.

That both things are equal when they are clearly not. There's a huge difference between having to accept that people live in a free society vs having to accept that you are a second-tier citizen because of your gender and thus have to cover yourself up.

So you do not like how they run their country. Great. You still have to conform to their rules and laws though if you want to visit. Just because you have grievences with how they run their country, does not justify you to do whatever you want if you decide to visit. No one is forcing you.

Of course it was a pragmatic decisions because they want the money aka business deals and connections. Doesn't make the bending over backwards any better though from a moral perspective.

Well, if you don't like it, don't visit. It's as easy as that.

The overarching point here that I would like to touch on is this: The muslim world is not monolithic and it is not in agreement regardless if there should be cultural reforms to the female headdress.

Many muslims believe that muslim communities internally have to make the revolution if it chooses to abandon that cultural aspect. Many muslim feels it's the moral obligation of side actors to not allow the oppression to continue.

And both sides have their own narrative to drive home about women who wants to wear the scarf.

In the end it is impossible for Sweden to do the right thing, because the world is split on the solution.

In this instance Sweden decided that it cannot force other countries to reform. Iran is a country that stands up for things that goes against everything Sweden stands for. Capital punishment, torture, inhumane incarceration, press suppression, no separateion between church and state funded terrorism.

Swedes looks past it because it has national interests and alone it is not going to alter to Iran. Sweden is a small country which while significant, has its status and quality of wealth through diplomatic deals. To ignore the transactions and business dealings with impure states would have a significantly negative impact on the Swedish economy.

It begs a unsolvable question; How bad does a country have to be before you refuse profit and financial security to deal with them?

The cynical truth is that we look the other way when it comes to capitalism. We set aside or ideological differences because we can both make money.
Sometimes we go in alliances with scrupilous countries because it makes our country more secure. Iran is powerful. It is the Shia stronghold of the world. It is a staging center Shias all over the world and it's the main enemy of the deplorable statehoods in SA and Israel.

As a result these 3 countries create a unholy axis of fuckery that gets fed steroids by western powers selling them more and more arms to destroy one another. It extends the conflicts artistically and creates ripple effects throughout the entire region.

This is not just a middle eastern thing either. We looked away during the Iraq invasion and assisted in the slaughter of hundreds of thousands over complete bullshit that didn't held up in any court of law. Even today, no US president has ever called the Iraq war more than a mistake, despite a civilian tally of between 500,000-1,000,000 people. Or China who is doing cultural cleansing through immigration in Tibet, and systemic corrupt overthrows in regions like Hong Kong.

A country like Sweden cannot stand up to these powers, or even Iran. It is small and decides to make a buck. If it didn't, 20 other EU countries would step up to sell to Iran. Progressive ideals has its place, but you cannot replace that with the need for hard wealth that strengthes your country directly as opposed to good will.

Pusherman

Shit like this makes it harder for people aware of the imperialist and colonial past of non-western countries to speak out against cultural practices in those same countries they might disagree with. Jesus Christ, Iran was not one of the cool countries before the Islamic revolution unless you count having an oppressive authoritarian regime with a murderous secret police installed for economic and geopolitical purposes by the US and the UK as vital to being 'cool'. Brush up on your fucking history.

Anyway, I'd like to see countries with legalized gay marriage and a strong feminist bend to more actively promote those values internally and abroad. I don't see anything wrong with wearing local dress when in another country but not when that local dress is government enforced. The discussion should, however, always be about how we express and promote our values. People talking about Iranian representatives not shaking hands or asking for special treatment often sound like far-right assholes going on about getting 'cucked'. Our values and our tolerance should never be compromised because of the values or (in)tolerance of others.

Dalibor68

Banned
That's a false equivalence as those are separate issues and not in any way connected with this.
Of course it is connected because it makes the whole "you have to adapt to the local customs"-arguement fall apart, as they(iranian politicians) are not "adapting to the local customs" when they come to visit.

So you do not like how they run their country. Great. You still have to conform to their rules and laws though if you want to visit. Just because you have grievences with how they run their country, does not justify you to do whatever you want if you decide to visit. No one is forcing you.
We are not talking about random tourists here but government officials.

Well, if you don't like it, don't visit. It's as easy as that.
Well thanks for the advice, I won't. Until things change dramatically over there.

Shit like this makes it harder for people aware of the imperialist and colonial past of non-western countries to speak out against cultural practices in those same countries they might disagree with. Jesus Christ, Iran was not one of the cool countries before the Islamic revolution unless you count having an oppressive authoritarian regime with a murderous secret police installed for economic and geopolitical purposes by the US and the UK as vital to being 'cool'. Brush up on your fucking history.

I didn't say pre-islamic revolution Iran was awesome, but that's it's a shame they are being held back nowadays by old fundamentalist psychopaths.

Nivash

Sweden usually hasn't let progressive politics get in the way of good business. See their arms exports to some shadier countries.

Not that I blame them, Sweden knows how to handle economics better than most countries.

At the risk of sounding arrogant: 95 % of the world has shadier governments than ours. If we let that be a limiting factor for trade, we'd starve. The arms export, for instance, is supposed to allow us to funnel enough money back into our own defence to make sure that we don't have to either end up invaded by or dependent on said shadier governments.

Well yes, the last point isn't really in play anymore because our defence is now totally inadequate. But that was the original spirit behind our exports and worked well enough until after the Soviet Union collapsed.

If its a private visit, adapt. If you are there in official capacity, don't go along with clear sexist laws. Criticism here is fair I think.

KHlover

Banned
2-format2010.jpg

Our Minister of Defence in Saudi-Arabia. Definitely one of her better moments. Why should we bow to their regressive gender politics ?

kmax

Of course it is connected because it makes the whole "you have to adapt to the local customs"-arguement fall apart, as they(iranians) are not "adapting to the local customs" when they come to visit.

If Iran isn't doing it, then they're being shitty. How does that in any way change the fact in this case? Sweden would still be shitty if they ignored it.

We are not talking about random tourists here but government officials.

And how does that change the fact that they have to respect the laws of the country that they're visiting?

What about male politicians? What are their obligations?
They should demand their female colleagues be treated the same, and Iran has no business in demanding only men attend. If the politician is a women and she has business there, then she needs to be treated the same as a male politician.

E-phonk

Banned
Yes, I agree. We shouldn't.

(In that case we shouldn't have done any business with the US until a few years ago)

I'm of the idea you can help Iran better by including them in the modern world, it will make the regime less powerfull.
By isolating them you aren't helping the people of Iran, you aren't doing "the good thing" because it seems like a good stance morally. By all means support equality - but don't isolate the country.

Showing that women are there to make big business deals might help more then making a stance of not going there because of the headscarves.

El Topo

They should demand their female colleagues be treated the same, and Iran has no business in demanding only men attend. If the politician is a women and she has business there, then she needs to be treated the same as a male politician.

So if they send an all-male delegation they don't need to do anything? My problem is that the criticism seems to be asynchronous.

Not surprised at the outrage but this is international diplomacy not a Facebook argument. You respect people's customs as much as possible when you are on their home soil.

Dalibor68

Banned
If Iran isn't doing it, then they're being shitty. How does that in any way change the fact in this case? Sweden would still be shitty if they ignored it.
You are equating both "Not shaking a womans hand / having naked statues hidden" and "forcing women to wear headscares and long clothes" as "shitty" implying it's on the same level when it is clearly not. We don't live in a world where somehow all aspects of all cultures are on equal footing. Treating women as lesser humans is on a completely different level and shouldnt be catered to.

And how does that change the fact that they have to respect the laws of the country that they're visiting?
Well technically they don't because most of them, assuming they're on a special mission, will actually have diplomatic immunity.

So if they send an all-male delegation they don't need to do anything?
But you don't sent an all male delegation, because Sweden has women in government, they have business there so they should make the visit. If the government only sents men instead, that would be bad also.

Sunster

2-format2010.jpg

Our Minister of Defence in Saudi-Arabia. Definitely one of her better moments. Why should we bow to their regressive gender politics ?

especially when they don't even ask you to. like, we are all hating on Iran here but did they even ask them to headscarf-up?

Enosh

yep in a normal situation them wearing a head scarf would be nothing special
but they declared their intentions to "promote “a gender equality perspective” internationally, and to adopt a “feminist foreign policy” in which “equality between women and men is a fundamental aim." and were willing to call out the US president on it (I'm sure that wasn't the most diplomatic way to do it either)

yet when it comes to any non western country they cave in immediately

kmax

You are equating both "Not shaking a womans hand / having naked statues hidden" and "forcing women to wear headscares and long clothes" as "shitty" implying it's on the same level when it is clearly not. We don't live in a world where somehow all cultures are on equal footing. Treating women as lesser humans is on a completely different level.

I think you're missing my point. Not respecting your host that has invited you to his or her home is shitty behavior, period. It ends there.

Well technically they don't because most of them, assuming they're on a special mission, will actually have diplomatic immunity.

That doesn't change the fact that they still can be expelled.

Dalibor68

Banned
I think you're missing my point. Not respecting your host that has invited you to his or her home is shitty behavior, period. It ends there.
It doesn't, if "disrespecting your host" would mean subjugating under ridiculous customs that have you as less-worthy human.

That doesn't change the fact that they still can be expelled.

Sure.

El Topo

But you don't sent an all make delegation, because Sweden has women in government, they have business there so they should make the visit. If the government only sents men instead, that would be bad also.

My problem, which is why I chose that example, is that the criticism is asynchronous. All this is without taking into account diplomacy.
Whether or not these politicians made the correct decision is another question altogether.

Bunch of men criticizing women for not being feminist enough.

Well, the second article features criticism by Masih Alinejad, so not quite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom