• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sweden Bans Consoles in Prison

Trevelyon

"The Swedish prison service has banned PlayStations and other gaming systems in its prisons, according to reports in the Swedish press. The internet connectivity and inherent unmonitored communication in the current generation of consoles proved to be too much of a security risk, officials said.

"To a certain extent these games are harmless, but with some technical skills they can be used for communication," the head of prison security Christer Isaksson told the Sydsvenska Dagbladet newspaper.

Some reports claim that some inmates had built small mobile telephones into the sides of their consoles. Furthermore, prison officials worry that prisoners are using memory cards to disseminate information to the outside world. "

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/13/news_6104795.html

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Well, it's not exactly surprising considering all the attention Swedish prisons have been getting here, with more than a few prisoners escaping during the summer. Security is being tightened, for sure.

SantaC

It's no secret that sitting in prison in sweden isn't exactly tough compared to other countries. Just recently Saddam Hussein said that sweden was 1 of 3 countries that he wanted to sit in prison in. Not that we would want him here. The horror.

This summer too many prisoners has escaped. Something needs to be done.

Drexon

Banned
Oh yeah, now I remember why they're "tightening security". Cop killer Tony Olsson escaped a maximum security prison here a few weeks back, and it was easy as hell. Anyways, back to the interesting part. Tony and his friends robbed a bank or whatever, and while in the bush they got a patrol car on their ass... oh here's an official reconstruction. =) http://wwwb.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/9910/26/kisa.ram <-- wich obviously doesn't work... Anywyas, they threw several hand granades and emtied several clips into the car window, both officers died.

nubbe

Like doing murder gives you 4 years of… 3 meals a day, cable, your own room, magazines, special rooms where you can screw your girlfriend, permission where you can be absent without additional punishment, free phone… stuff like that.
It must be hell I tell ya!

And also, obviously, you get the added benefit of tutoring from older colleagues, which vastly improves your chances to avoid being captured and/or make a greater profit next time...

cvxfreak

Since I never go to prisons (damn I must be missing out!) what kinds of things are you allowed to bring besides books and personals? TVs and games? If I were put in prison, at least let me take my DS with me (and PSP)!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
The fuck is a videogame console doing in Prison. I'd only allow it if all they were forced to play were Reader Rabbit titles.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
When Akhmed Zakayev was released after being imprisoned in Denmark on request of the Russian government he thanked the prison guards for their good service. Compared to what he's used to it was like a stay in a hotel. Good for him of course but pretty sad in general.

Midas

A friend of mine had to put tape on his pads if he wanted to bring his PS when he served time. He thought that was hard enough and removed it, and they took it away from him! :(

aku:jiki

I think many of you guys are being way too harsh and self-righteous.

Having every last bit of your freedom taken away is punishment enough. At least let them have something to pass the time with. Anything less is just plain inhumane.

I really don't see how or why this even comes up though. They have ethernet jacks and cords but can't have consoles? That makes no fucking sense at all.

Brannon

This is why millions and millions of books exist in the world, to stave off the boredom. If they can't read much, well now's the time to learn; not like they're doing anything pressing behind those bars...

aku:jiki

DJ Brannon said:
This is why millions and millions of books exist in the world, to stave off the boredom. If they can't read much, well now's the time to learn; not like they're doing anything pressing behind those bars...
I kind of agree, but they could get to keep a machine for the common room or something.

(I didn't read the article, just in case they did get to keep one. ;))

Top Bottom