• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch online details incl. Cloud Saves, 20 NES games at launch, family plans, etc.

NovumAngel

Banned
https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

Pricing: Various price points offer a variety of affordable options for different players.
  • Individual Membership
    • 1 Month: $3.99 USD / €3.99 / 300 yen
    • 3 Months: $7.99 USD / €7.99 / 800 yen
    • 12 Months: $19.99 USD / €19.99 / 2,400 yen
  • Family Membership
    • 12 Months: $34.99 / €34.99 / 4,500 yen
      With a family membership, up to eight Nintendo Account holders will be able to use the Nintendo Switch Online service, even on different systems.

Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online: Subscribers will have access to NES – Nintendo Switch Online, a compilation of classic NES games. The collection will initially include 20 games, with more added on a regular basis. At launch, previously announced games Balloon Fight, Dr. Mario and Super Mario Bros. 3 will be joined by Donkey Kong, Ice Climber, The Legend of Zelda, Mario Bros., Soccer, Super Mario Bros. and Tennis. An additional 10 launch games will be announced in the future.

Save Data Cloud Backup: By using Nintendo Switch Online, a backup of Nintendo Switch save data for most Nintendo Switch games will be stored online for easy access. This is great for people who want to retrieve their data if they lose, break or purchase an additional Nintendo Switch system.

Online Play: A Nintendo Switch Online membership will be needed to participate in co-op and competitive online features for many current and upcoming Nintendo Switch games, such as Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS,Mario Tennis Aces and Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido.

Nintendo Switch Online App*: The Nintendo Switch Online smartphone application can be used to enhance the online experience for compatible games through voice chat and other features.

Some further details broken down: https://gematsu.com/2018/05/switch-online-service-features-and-plans-detailed

Last edited:

dolabla

Will the cloud backup only be available to subscribers? If so, that's messed up. Should be free since there's no other way to backup your saves if your Switch decides to bite the dust.

The rest sounds good.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Will the cloud backup only be available to subscribers? If so, that's messed up. Should be free since there's no other way to backup your saves if your Switch decides to bite the dust.

The rest sounds good.
I guess that they are already with that in mind to the next update. Let's be positive.

But only 20 games for NES? That's just boring. We need SNES and at least N64 games.

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
Cloud saves should definitely not be locked behind a pay service. If they want to do that, just limit the storage space for free users with expanded capacity for paid users.

OH-MyCar

As someone with next to no interest in playing most of Nintendo's big retail games online, I'd happily pay $20 a year if they beefed up their selection of retro games so I could play, say, River City Ransom or Contra with a stranger.

I hope they reconsider that "revolving door" approach they were talking about after seeing the success of GamePass.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Hmm 30rom launch catalog? I waited 1.5 yrs for that and cloud saves? The retro catalog should be deeper... hope they dont string releases along like they did with virtual console games, ugh.

Im gonna need more value than that ninty.

tkscz

Cloud saves behind a paywall is a dick move no doubt. But at least pricing isn't bad, 20 for a year is a definite sweet spot.

I hope they reconsider that "revolving door" approach they were talking about after seeing the success of GamePass.

Last I heard they dropped that after the response it got when they first announced it.

Last edited:

Smasher89

Smash not on that list is good.

Like all those games were on the nintendo ambassador list (except like 1-2) before, this is waaaaay to expensive to rent games you most likely own (possibly even multiple times). Nothing new that added weight to it either, just that it's a moneygrab.
Also dont have a phone that could use the (not all sound including) app.

EDIT: would be nice if a decently big yt channel covered how the online servers get literally empty just months after a "big release", to show those that only has seen nintendos playerfilled online systems what likely will happen, by them paying for it.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Cloud saves are cool and welcome of course, but there isn't a lot else on offer here especially considering that Nintendo's "Online Play" offerings have typically been free and poorly implemented.

NES games with online capabilities aren't really that interesting either. As this functionality has been available in emulators for literally decades, I can say that it's cool the first like... 2 times you play and then it's something that usually gets immediately turned off. Usually this is because these games were never designed with online (or even simultaneous) multiplayer in mind.

The family plan seems like it's ripe for abuse.

Codes 208

This...isnt how i want to play classic games. Unless i can buy them individually as well (even though the price isnt that bad for the subscription itself)

Cloud saves behind a paywall is a dick move no doubt. But at least pricing isn't bad, 20 for a year is a definite sweet spot.

Last I heard they dropped that after the response it got when they first announced it.
Well theyre not the only ones. Cloud saves need ps+ on ps4 if i recall.

Fbh

They better not make the feature to back up saves exclusive for paid users.
Cloud saves being paid I'm ok with but if it doesn't come alongside an update that enables local save backup for everyone (to either the SD card or a flash drive) that would be incredibly shitty.

Aside from that, I think I'm going to pass for the first few months. Other than rocket league there isn't anything online that interest me on switch and I can play rocket league on my PS4.
NES games is rather disappointing. Maybe it's because I never had one but the catalog doesn't excite me. I'd much rather have Super Metroid, A link to the past, Super Mario World, etc.

Might subscribe when Smash is out IF, unlike the one on WiiU, it's not an unplayable lagfest (hopefully they have some free weekend to test it out )

jwillenn

We really got some news!

And this app is still in the plan. I don't even own a cellphone (never have)... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jadedm17

I'm no PC gamer - I just don't find M+KB fun - so I'm not sure what free online details for gaming, but from I've become a firm believer in "you get what you pay for"; I'll happy pay $20 a year (or double) for reliable Smash Bros MP online.
Smash WiiU online was incredible the 15% or so it didn't lag.

Zog

Banned
Cloud saves? I don't understand the need for them, if my Switch dies my save files are the least of my worries.

I don't play online.

NES games, I can hardly contain my excitement. I never imagined being able to play NES games on a system other than the NES.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
They better not make the feature to back up saves exclusive for paid users.
Cloud saves being paid I'm ok with but if it doesn't come alongside an update that enables local save backup for everyone (to either the SD card or a flash drive) that would be incredibly shitty.

Since we haven't heard otherwise, we have to assume that they're just planning on being incredibly shitty.

I wouldn't be surprised if cloud saves were the only way to back up your saves once this goes live. They would need an incredible amount of user backlash that they probably won't get in order to allow users to do something for free that they're planning on charging money for.

JaffeLion

Banned
This...isnt how i want to play classic games. Unless i can buy them individually as well (even though the price isnt that bad for the subscription itself)

on xbox you have unlimited cloud save since DAY ONE without GOLD.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Don't care about online at all, but locking cloud saves behind paywall? REALLY? How can you even justify this? I mean, the save files / data are barely weight anything even considering the Switch's install base at this point. This should have been a free feature for all users without question.

Now, NES games. Is all of this basically means that there won't be Virtual Console and you have to pay for the subscription to play NES, SNES, GBA etc. games from now on? If yes, then fuck this as well, i much rather buy a game and play it where i want and when i want without the need to pay again and again and again.

I payed for PS+ long time ago and quickly discovered that i just throwing my money for no good reason cuz even if there is free games and now i can play online, there's no way in million years i'll have the time for all of this cuz i don't have as much free time anymore and as i did like 8-10 years ago. So why on earth i should continue to pay for this (or any other online subscription service) if i won't be using any of the benefits 80% of the subscription time?

Also, are they for real with this archaic phone app for voice chat after a whole year and hundreds of videos telling them that all of this is fuckin' bullshit?

So in short, fuck no to paid online service on Switch.

Last edited:

Shoogoo

Uugh, don't really care for the Cloud.

The only game I play online is MK8 and I really don't want to pay $20/y for it...

Is that family thing the same as Spotify and Netflix? "Family under the same roof, but it's okay if you're not"

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Your save data is not hostage waiting for the online fee ransom money though ;).

B_Signal

Paying to play online is such bullshit and Nintendo just don't have the line up of games to justify it. I know some will willingly pay it for Smash and Mario Kart, and I'm going to go back to Splatoon before this comes in, but a handful of the same old tedious nes games is not worth paying a subscription for

kyubajin

I don't own a Switch, still to this day I don't know how your "profile/account" works. I bought a bunch of Virtual Console games on my Wii, the sold it and those games were gone. Is it the same with the Switch?

Nosgotham

I don't own a Switch, still to this day I don't know how your "profile/account" works. I bought a bunch of Virtual Console games on my Wii, the sold it and those games were gone. Is it the same with the Switch?
Nope. You can log in on any switch and play your library but only one system at a time.

This is bullshit. Shouldn't have to pay to manage my save data. Let me load them onto the SD card I have in the system already (or better yet, let me email them to myself).
I'm not invested in the ecosystem and I never will be. I turn it on once every three months, play an exclusive and then it collects dust for the three months in between the next release I care about.

Last edited:

Allandor

online saves should be free, because there is no other way to transfer saves.
and I really dislike that I have to pay extra so my kids can play e.g splatoon when one person is already paying. Really they should make that like on xbox. One homeconsole and everyone that is logged in to that can play online etc.
and we've seen on the Wii u what Nintendo thinks is an online service.

MetalSlug

I was expecting more from them. I was hoping for Steam like profiles for uploading videos and screenshots + ditching that mobile app.

NovumAngel

Banned
Last edited:

Forsythia

€20 a year isn't that much, but then again, this online service is incredibly barebones. And I'd rather have a regular vc.

Zannegan

I know this isn't a plus for everyone, but that family plan pricing is perfect for my situation. I have multiple family members who will be using separate accounts online on my Switches (before you get the wrong impression, I have two, and one's for the kiddos). Being able to split $35 between up to eight people for a year is an insanely good deal, even if I expect the service to be PS3-era PSN-level.

TannerDemoz

Decent price but it's a shame they're still using the dog shit app for voice communication. That will be the sole reason I choose to play third party games on a different console.

Trogdor1123

Seems pretty decent to me. $20 a year is nothing and you get access to nes games and cloud saves. Im not a switch owner but to me the value is good.

The fact it took forever to get this out though is puzzling.

The only good thing about this is the price. At the very least I won't have to pay 60 bucks a year just to play online games. Would've been better if they hadn't come up with this dumb 'service' though.

Top Bottom