• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syfy closes deal for 4 hour miniseries of Philip K. Dick's The Man in High Castle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ridley Scott exec producing.

UkJ1k4D.jpg

http://tvline.com/2013/02/11/syfy-frank-spotnitz-ridley-scott-man-high-castle-miniseries/
Syfy has closed a deal for Frank Spotnitz (The X-Files) to pen a four-hour miniseries adaptation of the 50-year-old Philip K. Dick novel The Man in The High Castle.
Filmmaker Ridley Scott — who in 1982 adapted Dick’s Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? into the nihilistic big-screen drama Blade Runner — will serve as an executive producer.

The best-selling The Man in The High Castle presents an alternate history in which Nazi Germany and Japan won World War II and the Axis Powers now lord over a fascist United States of America.

EVOL 100%

I didn't read this novel, but I've been reading lots of PKD and his stuff is amazing. I'll be eyeing this with great interest.

EVOL 100%

What are the best Philip K Dick novels to start with?

I started with A Scanner Darkly. It was pretty fucking good. Do Androids Dream of.. would probably be a good starting point too.

I finished VALIS recently and I loved it, but I wouldn't recommend it to newcomers.

Akahige

Sounds cool but Syfy channel doesn/t have much of a good track record these days right? I don't think I've watched anything on it in years outside a few minutes on Lake Placid.

alazz

This could be sweet. Wonder how they'll handle the ending, though.

What are the best Philip K Dick novels to start with?
The Variable Man short story is basically why he's awesome distilled into a brief afternoon's read.

Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said and The Man in the High Castle are great places to start. High Castle is more inviting, I guess? Follow Flow My Tears up with The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and then Ubik. Not because you have to, but it's a good progression from trippy and slick to weird and trippy to all of the above.

VALIS is fucking nuts, I'd avoid it until you're really into him or really into the plot. I've tried reading it three times now, and I hit a wall somewhere a little past half. It's not hard to read, but I think you need to be a certain type of person to want to finish it.

brian577

Banned
Sounds cool but Syfy channel doesn/t have much of a good track record these days right? I don't think I've watched anything on it in years outside a few minutes on Lake Placid.

Movies, no. Mini series on the other hand, they've done fairly well. Alice, Tin Man, Steven Spielberg's Taken, Dune.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
No problem - I actually got confused with the dates thinking the last post was the year just gone and not two back...

Yup!

Weird. I thought Amazon funded shows to be exclusive to Amazon. Unless they decided not to move ahead with the adaptation and SyFy is picking it up?

Akahige

Oh man that bump confused me, I thought to myself hey didn't amazon just do a pilot of this and then I saw my own comment and was even more confused.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The executive producer, who made that one good movie almost 30 years ago...

Anyway, this sounds amazing, I hope it's great! And still has a 40's era feel.

EDIT: Oh, it's done already. Heh, I really need to check dates beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom