• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 2 |OT| A Perfect, Immortal Machine

epmode

I had no idea there were so many crazy people with all this MUTE THE RAD MUSIC talk. But I never really thought of this as survival horror in the first place. A creepy immersive sim, sure.

edit: And yes, I have played it that way.

Yes. The same goes for 99.9% of the games sold on various DD sites.

Really, I can't even think of a game I own that doesn't work with Windows 7. Except for Grim Fandango, I guess, but it's still possible to beat into submission.

thanks brothers!

i only bring this up because i was interested in buying the physical version a couple years back and read up on some problems.

i also have problems with max payne 1 on steam :(

System Shock 2 [is] an old-school PC game, which means that the challenge comes from thinking rather than mastering play through repetition. It's a game with an environment that must be respected as if it's a real space. If you try to treat it like a game, it will destroy you, and you definitely won't find it fun. Treat it like an alternate reality instead.

Dear OP, thank you very much for this paragraph. It summarizes everything I've ever loved about PC games, and also what has been lost in the transition to modern AAA games. I was starting to wonder why I once was so interested in games, but your writing makes it all crystal clear.

DocSeuss

Dear OP, thank you very much for this paragraph. It summarizes everything I've ever loved about PC games, and also what has been lost in the transition to modern AAA games. I was starting to wonder why I once was so interested in games, but your writing makes it all crystal clear.

PC gaming tends to focus more on virtual reality, while console gaming tends to focus more on abstracting things as simply as possible. There's a heavy dose of simulation elements present in a lot of older PC gaming--even the abstraction is ultimately about abstracting simulation mechanics.

They're both fundamentally viable forms of play, but I personally prefer simulation elements in my games.

If I'm playing a classic console game that's "hard," it's usually a matter of skill that is developed through practice and understanding of a game's mechanics. If I play a classic PC game that's "hard," it's often because I need to think differently. "How would I solve this if it was a real situation?" is the question that has saved my ass quite a bit.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Please note that when I say shut the music off I'm not suggesting that the music is bad, it isn't. On it's own it's actually quite good, it just doesn't fit this game *at all*.

epmode

Please note that when I say shut the music off I'm not suggesting that the music is bad, it isn't. On it's own it's actually quite good, it just doesn't fit this game *at all*.

The first major song, MedSci, is both rad as fuck and fits into the game perfectly. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree!

Really enjoying playing through this again after all these years, but man I'm having a hard time with some of the graphics. I can deal with the hilarious cube people but... I dunno, any animation that involves the player character's hand just makes me cringe, which is too bad considering how much you have to rely on the wrench early on.

One day we'll get a glorious SS3, or something, that brings the incredible atmosphere up to date. I can dream.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You can also do things like enable bloom and change HUD opacity by editing that cam ext file.

Bloom needs to be tweaked from the defaults which are meant for Thief and may be too bright.

But I really like having the HUD semi transparent. It doesn't make it any harder to use for sure.

Here's a pic showing a little bit of both features (with all the basic and faithful to the vanilla mods).

ib2lWPn7dFjkIA.bmp

nataku

I haven't played the first SS, how important is it to play that first? Is there anywhere I could read or watch a video of major plot points from the first game?

I don't really like the idea of playing a sequel without playing the first one, but I've heard how amazing this is and I can't pass it up for $10.

FACE

Banned
The first major song, MedSci, is both rad as fuck and fits into the game perfectly. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree!

Hydro 1 is probably my favorite track.

I haven't played the first SS, how important is it to play that first? Is there anywhere I could read or watch a video of major plot points from the first game?

I don't really like the idea of playing a sequel without playing the first one, but I've heard how amazing this is and I can't pass it up for $10.

You don't need to play the first game to understand the plot of the second, but you will miss out on a few references.

Zocano

I'm about to start it and invest my friday night into this wonderful game for the first time. I have only one question: Which difficulty should I choose? I have heard little talk of which one is suitable to jump into so I'm not sure which would be good for a first time experience.

I'm about to start it and invest my friday night into this wonderful game for the first time. I have only one question: Which difficulty should I choose? I have heard little talk of which one is suitable to jump into so I'm not sure which would be good for a first time experience.

great question. I'm wondering the same.

Tain

lol, this might be seen as a horrible thing to say, but revisiting this awesome game has me trying to picture a way to play it with fixed save points.

epmode

lol, this might be seen as a horrible thing to say, but revisiting this awesome game has me trying to picture a way to play it with fixed save points.

Isn't that what the revival stations are for?

I'm with you on the fixed save point thing* but I feel like you'd need source code access for such a big change.

*even though I still like my instant restart Trackmania games!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
You can also do things like enable bloom and change HUD opacity by editing that cam ext file.

Bloom needs to be tweaked from the defaults which are meant for Thief and may be too bright.

But I really like having the HUD semi transparent. It doesn't make it any harder to use for sure.

Here's a pic showing a little bit of both features.

What are your settings in that config file right now? That looks nice!

Alexios

For mods I only have the high res object and world textures, dynamic sky and high res space not visible there, a blood splatter and goo mod also not visible (I've tried the tacticool weapons but since not all weapons are redone I reverted, I decided against the Rebirth enemy models and so also skipped the improved egg or whatever from the guy who did the goo and other things), and in cam_ext I set the HUD to 1024x576 (with 720p resolution for the actual game, scale accordingly to your needs instead) enabled all the post processing/bloom stuff and left at defaults for now and set HUD opacity to 0.5. Bloom can be too intense on certain surfaces but not that many (like two so far, one at the intro map and the xerxes face) and I like how it looks most of the time, glowing lights on the door handles in the dark, etc, while reducing it to the point those few intense surfaces are fixed makes it too subtle, might as well disable it. But maybe it's more of a problem in other areas. Just search for bloom and hud in the file and you'll see the relevant lines with explanations on what each does and how you can control it.

Played it for an hour with the music off and default monster/weapon values - so good. I'm a master at spanking the monkey, but hybrids are faster than I remember (nothing a little practice and quicksaving can't fix). I've balanced my skills between hacking and combat - 2 Standard Weapons, 3 Endurance, 2 Hacking, and 2 Cyber Affinity. What do I choose next - repair or maintain?

bideogamer

Neo Member
Love the atmosphere, story, music, hate the combat. Its a real bummer I didnt play this back in the day, I would have loved it instead of appreciating it.

Alexios

Wow, it's going to take me a while for the lack of strafe.
Rebind your keys, there's strafe, just on weird keys by default.

It can be made to control like any modern FPS with leaning and the cursor inventory stuff on top.

diamount

Banned
Rebind your keys, there's strafe, just on weird keys by default.

It can be made to control like any modern FPS with leaning and the cursor inventory stuff on top.

Haha I know, just been getting increasingly lazy. Can't afford to be lazy in this sort of game though!

tha_devil

Any chance there will be a remake for next gen consoles? This game needs to be played by more players, and they can use the well known bioshock name to market it.

sueil

Started playing this today for the first time. I am maybe 4? hours in and it is already one of my favorite games of all time. Completely holds up today. I decided to be a little reckless and went for OSA on my first playthrough and don't regret it at all. Once I figured out how the systems worked I am completely loving PSI. I am playing with the music on and plan on keeping it on because I find the music just makes things more tense. When the music kicks in I get more scared because I associate the music with bad shit happening. The music itself beyond just the associations I think fits the mood perfectly.

epmode

Any chance there will be a remake for next gen consoles? This game needs to be played by more players, and they can use the well known bioshock name to market it.

Considering how difficult it was just just to re-release the original game and how much it would cost to retool for consoles, I'm pretty confident in saying that this will never, ever happen.

stuminus3

Yay, an OT! Totally deserved. To finally have this on GOG felt as big a deal as a brand new game to me.

100% holds up today unless you're a complete nincompoop.

Ok so all of a sudden EVERYTHING just came together for me, this game is awesome, it's not even hard to learn all of the shit it throws at you. It just happens, real talk.

Finally playing a good game, can't tell you how long it's been.

Corto

For Mac users, apparently you can use a Wineskin wrapper to get the game up and running on OS X: http://portingteam.com/files/file/7570-system-shock-2/

IT WORKS! You'll need to fiddle a bit with the WINE configurations to get it running with GOG's version though.

If anyone else is interested here are the instructions:

Before installing the game you'll need to:

Right click wrapper > Show Package Contents > Wineskin > Advanced > Tools > Config Utility > Applications, and set the Windows Version to "Windows XP".

You can now install the game:

To instal Game with Wineskin Installer (right click wrapper -> show package contents -> Wineskin.app -> Install Software) - select GOG's setup.exe file

Than you again for the tip!

With all this talk about System Shock 2, I'm finally going to start playing it....

...system shock 1 that is. I downloaded SSP and just put in about 10 minutes or so, but I'm liking it a lot. I was going to install it with my original CD, but I figure that since I already own a copy, I can use this, and it already has been tweaked to run pretty well as is. I just need to do some more adjustments with the setup, and hopefully it'll run fine.

After I (hopefully) complete it, I'll take my second run at SS2. I played it quite a bit (I think I got near the end), but I ended up stopping for some silly reason and I never went back to it.

How about Deus Ex under "successors"? (Though it stands as a peer by contrast to the others.)

PC gaming tends to focus more on virtual reality, while console gaming tends to focus more on abstracting things as simply as possible. There's a heavy dose of simulation elements present in a lot of older PC gaming--even the abstraction is ultimately about abstracting simulation mechanics.

They're both fundamentally viable forms of play, but I personally prefer simulation elements in my games.

If I'm playing a classic console game that's "hard," it's usually a matter of skill that is developed through practice and understanding of a game's mechanics. If I play a classic PC game that's "hard," it's often because I need to think differently. "How would I solve this if it was a real situation?" is the question that has saved my ass quite a bit.

The more streamlinedness of console gaming works for games/game genres created for/on consoles in the first place. Stuff transitioned over from the PC to console space tends to suffer for the most part (controls, mechanics, etc.).

It's one reason why I was so fond of the mid/late 80s through the turn of the millennium. Both spaces evolved on their own terms and provided more diversity for the gamer.

I don't think the problem these days though is multiplatform in itself as it is increasing budgets forcing across the board same-y ports, with consoles higher on the priority chain.

Endesu

As I said in the GOG topic, while quite a bit of the soundtrack does consist of those thumping techno beats, it would be wrong to say that the music doesn't fit the game at all. MediSci 2, Ops 1, Hydro 2, Ops 3, Command 1, Command 3, and Recreation all definitely add to the horror atmosphere of the floors they play on, and I seriously couldn't imagine playing the game without them. They're just that good.

Just recently tried out co-op with the bf and got to the Operations Deck with him. Quite a bit of fun with another person and it frees you to focus on certain skills more freely - he handles psychic stuff while I take care of hacking - but it definitely takes away from the horror feel of the game. Everyone's first play through of this should be solo.

vidcons

Banned
I really dislike that SHODAN is in the OT for a game that a lot of people haven't played. It's pointless to know anything about the game going in other than "It's good."

injurai

Banned
I really dislike that SHODAN is in the OT for a game that a lot of people haven't played. It's pointless to know anything about the game going in other than "It's good."

Dude she is in the opening cutscene...

Not to mention the first game. What's the issue here.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

She's on the box art and the very very first thing in the game is a monologue from her, it's not a spoiler.

vidcons

Banned
She's on the box art and the very very first thing in the game is a monologue from her, it's not a spoiler.

It's not a spoiler, it's just pointless to detail the character in anyway. The game does a decent job at explaining itself, there doesn't need to be a section on a character like they're a selling point.

and box art doesn't mean jack shit

Top Bottom