• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 2 |OT| A Perfect, Immortal Machine

Dude she is in the opening cutscene...

Not to mention the first game. What's the issue here.

Like everyone else said, she says that line in the opening cutscene. and she's on the front of gog.com's website because that was the original boxart picture used for the game. Besides, the line in the title came from what she said in the first game.

bhlaab

Attn: PLAY THE FIRST ONE TOO. It's not on GoG yet but please try. It has the coolest opening cutscene of all time.
Watch it: http://youtu.be/5ITiEm6W5EM

Both Ultima Underworld games are on Gog. Play them, too. They are the sperm and the egg of System Shock, Bioshock, Deus Ex, Dishonored, Thief.../

epmode

It's not a spoiler, it's just pointless to detail the character in anyway. I feel the game does a decent enough job of explaining it that it doesn't need to be something people know before buying the game.

and box art doesn't mean jack shit

I honestly don't know what you're complaining about.

It's not a spoiler, it's just pointless to detail the character in anyway. The game does a decent job at explaining itself, there doesn't need to be a section on a character like they're a selling point.

and box art doesn't mean jack shit

I'm totally confused as to what your beef is

edit-I guess I have the same problem as the poster above me

edit 2-OK never mind the edit makes more sense

RedSwirl

Dear OP, thank you very much for this paragraph. It summarizes everything I've ever loved about PC games, and also what has been lost in the transition to modern AAA games. I was starting to wonder why I once was so interested in games, but your writing makes it all crystal clear.

PC games are predominantly cerebral, console games are predominantly visceral (the actual definition of the word). That's the main difference I see, and sometimes I'm in the mood for one or the other.

Cerebral console games do exist, mostly in the role-playing genre, but they are in the minority, especially today.

DocSeuss

Coolant Tubes is my favorite song. I've heard it goes by other names, though?

This piece by Josh Randall is pretty cool. He did some of the game's music. He and Eric Brosius both went on to work at Harmonix, y'know, the Guitar Hero/Rock Band/Dance Central wizards.

Haha I know, just been getting increasingly lazy. Can't afford to be lazy in this sort of game though!

By default, strafe is bound to q and e.

I made keybindings so things are more normal. They're in the OP.

I really dislike that SHODAN is in the OT for a game that a lot of people haven't played. It's pointless to know anything about the game going in other than "It's good."

Everything I did, I think, explains who she is in System Shock 1. I think the game loses just a tinge of its excellence if you don't come into System Shock 2 knowing precisely who SHODAN is. That way, you're always on edge, knowing what she had done last time. This is like Moriarty's return.

SHODAN is System Shock. Going into System Shock 2 without knowing who SHODAN is renders it kind of pointless.

What I'd give for a villain half as good as SHODAN in Bioshock Infinite.

Also, I figured seeing her face plastered everywhere was a good reason to say something about her.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Attn: PLAY THE FIRST ONE TOO. It's not on GoG yet but please try. It has the coolest opening cutscene of all time.
Watch it: http://youtu.be/5ITiEm6W5EM
Nothing will ever equal this opening cinematic, for me. I got the game around the time it launched on CD-ROM, for my 14th birthday, and watching that the first time gave me chills. The first System Shock was truly uncharted territory.

That video should be in the OP, I think.

Nothing will ever equal this opening cinematic, for me. I got the game around the time it launched on CD-ROM, for my 14th birthday, and watching that the first time gave me chills. The first System Shock was truly uncharted territory.

That's kinds the way i feel about the first 30 seconds of the opening of SS2. Everything has such a surreal and drugged up feeling to it

Zeppelin

PC gaming tends to focus more on virtual reality, while console gaming tends to focus more on abstracting things as simply as possible. There's a heavy dose of simulation elements present in a lot of older PC gaming--even the abstraction is ultimately about abstracting simulation mechanics.

They're both fundamentally viable forms of play, but I personally prefer simulation elements in my games.

If I'm playing a classic console game that's "hard," it's usually a matter of skill that is developed through practice and understanding of a game's mechanics. If I play a classic PC game that's "hard," it's often because I need to think differently. "How would I solve this if it was a real situation?" is the question that has saved my ass quite a bit.

Not much truth in this post. Sure, games with "simulation elements" are probably more common on the PC, but saying that PC gaming tends to focus on "virtual reality" is just total bullshit. The Quakes and Starcrafts say hello etc.

Anyway, I will probably pick up SS2. Haven't played it since around when it came out.

samwizered

Please note that when I say shut the music off I'm not suggesting that the music is bad, it isn't. On it's own it's actually quite good, it just doesn't fit this game *at all*.

I'm totally with you on this. Everyone raves about SS2's soundtrack, and while it is pretty good, it's poorly executed within the game and tends to destroy the overall feel and atmosphere.

Turn off the music, folks.

Enjoying all the mods and whatnot. I played this for a bit a few years back because my brother swears by it, as does everyone else it seems.

I'm enjoying it so far but I must admit, I absolutely hate the combat and hacking in Ken Levine games. Main reason I never finished BioShock. I'm gonna persevere with this one though.

Edit-

As some others have stated. Yes, the music is godawful. I had to turn it off after 10 minutes. Reminds me of that awful KMFDM band from Mortal Kombat fame. I enjoy it much better with the sound effects because it really does play like a survival horror, at least so far it does.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
That's kinds the way i feel about the first 30 seconds of the opening of SS2. Everything has such a surreal and drugged up feeling to it

One interesting tidbit about that menacing taunt from SHODAN, is that I heard it way back in the first System Shock. It was not actually within the actual gameplay, but was used in DOS as the clip to test your sound card configuration.

I was so pissed off when I finished SS1 without shodan ever once telling the Hacker about her corridors

haha yeah me too. I though I'd missed something.

Endesu

I'm totally with you on this. Everyone raves about SS2's soundtrack, and while it is pretty good, it's poorly executed within the game and tends to destroy the overall feel and atmosphere.

Turn off the music, folks.

I wouldn't say the music is necessarily poorly executed. Some of the tracks are more ambient than others and definitely add to the atmosphere. Just my opinion, though.

sueil

Major spoilers contained within.
When I got to deck 4 and went to polito's room and that whole reveal I shit myself I knew it was coming but still god damn.

SS2 came out during my PC "lost weekend" between around about 1997 and 2005, so I started playing it for the first time today to see what the fuss was about.

About 1.5 hours in so far. Enjoying the scarce resources and that feeling like every battle with a Hybrid is one I might not walk away from! I've gotta agree that the music sits weird for me - I'm roaming these creepy deserted corridors with corpses lying everywhere, and there's thumping electro music that never goes away. Not sure if I'll keep it on, long term.

I'm playing at 1920x1200, so my HUD is painfully small. Fixing that is priority #1 before playing any more.

Tain

Isn't that what the revival stations are for?

I'm with you on the fixed save point thing* but I feel like you'd need source code access for such a big change.

The revival stations, on their own, are as weirdly pointless as they are in Bioshock since the state of the world doesn't roll back at all. Triggering autosaves each time you're near them (in addition to the map change autosaves) might do it, though you can't really tell until you play it that way or simulate it with quicksaves.

Does the game ever autosave outside of map transitions? I forget. If so, maybe it just involves some messing around in DromEd.

maybe some day

Dr Dogg

Great, informative OP. Picked this up yonks ago for a hefty price (I miss big boxed games) but might have to buy it again just for the soundtrack.

Haunted

I'm playing at 1920x1200, so my HUD is painfully small. Fixing that is priority #1 before playing any more.
open your cam_ext.cfg and uncomment (remove ; from the beginning of the) d3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay 64 line.

Makes the UI look a bit pixelated, but that's a much more playable size.

Li Kao

Seuss what have you done ?
How am I to remember that the Shodan avatar is the same quality gaffer that I always like to read ? Think about that next time will ya ? (wasn't it a Warren Ellis comic book before ? now I'm even more lost :-S)

On topic, I really should sit down and play SS1 & 2 some day, the re-release on Gog was tempting this week. But I'm one of those poor ocd/passionate fools that want to play too much things...

just started this but probably gonna restart as Navy, too much shit to hack and my guy is too stupid to do it

and lawl the music is comically out of place

Alright, just played through the game for the first time and while it was very good mechanically (Deus Ex is my favourite game, this came pretty close and there's a clear lineage between the games) I felt the horror/atmosphere and story were a bit over-hyped, unfortunately. This might in large part be due to knowing what the franchise was about (
Shodan
) and thus I saw the big reveal coming from miles away. Still, the scene itself was pretty damn cool, without spoiling too much.

The end of the game, as with many others of its ilk (Dishonored comes to mind), felt way less open and complex than what preceded it, which was a bit of a let-down since the concepts had so much potential, especially the final level. I guess they ran out of budget/time at that point.

I also felt the game was slightly too easy? Granted, I did play on Normal. The only really challenging part was the
Body of the Many
since I was running really low on the appropriate ammo types. The last fight in there had me scrambling and just kiting the enemies along while killing the boss. Took a while to realize how to escape afterwards.

All in all, I wish I played this game 100% blind without having any clue about the series, and I also wish that I had played through the first game before this.
The Shodan reveal would have had a significantly stronger impact if the player had no friggin' idea she would re-appear in the sequel and just assume she was dead after the first game, imo.

DocSeuss

Hey, guys, now that the OP's been up for ~18 hours, is there anything you feel I'm missing in the OP that I need to include? I'm trying to answer everyone's questions.

Once I beat Thief and Thief 2, I'll probably be setting up an RTTP/LTTP that's a lot like this OT, if people are cool with that. Want to learn as best I can from this one.

Getting such strong Deus Ex vibes.

Considering that Deus Ex is made by former LGS staff (particularly System Shock producer Warren Spector), this makes a great deal of sense. :D

Seuss what have you done ?
How am I to remember that the Shodan avatar is the same quality gaffer that I always like to read ? Think about that next time will ya ? (wasn't it a Warren Ellis comic book before ? now I'm even more lost :-S)

On topic, I really should sit down and play SS1 & 2 some day, the re-release on Gog was tempting this week. But I'm one of those poor ocd/passionate fools that want to play too much things...

I'll be changing it back. Just had to celebrate SHODAN.

Is it required to play the first one first? Been interested in this for a long time.

Nope! Just read the SHODAN bit in the OP. It explains who she is from the original game. Computer without morality, kinda like Moriarty, got beat by a hacker years before, tries to create life in order to be a goddess.

I'm working from the disc version here but that's still relevant in this thread. Is there something special I have to do to enable higher widescreen resolutions? I installed SSTool 4.9, which as far as I can tell includes the NewDark 2.4 patch, but in the menu resolutions only go up to 1600x900. I want 1900x1200.

Good gracious, met my first enemy and the music kicked in. I hadn't panicked like that in years: "ohgodohgod what do I do what is going on where are they coming from COME AT ME YOU BASTARDS".
But then the music kept going full on even when nobody was nearby. Yeah, I'm gonna turn it down a bit.

Oh, and I'm hearing voices. Heard someone calling for help just before the first enemy encounter. Am scared.

Hey, guys, now that the OP's been up for ~18 hours, is there anything you feel I'm missing in the OP that I need to include? I'm trying to answer everyone's questions.

Suggested build\specialization for first timers? That would be great.
I went navy with +1 on Hack, +2 Endurance and something else. Have no idea what to expect later on.

------------------------

On a side note, the first System Shock is currently being LPed at the SAwful's forum by Hampooj (images with commentary). Not gonna post a link since I don't know what's the policy on them but It's pretty cool, give it a try.

ParityBit

I read someplace (I wish I could remember where) someone mentioning lowering the monster re-spawn rate. Has anyone tried this? Or know how?

samman6

To people asking if you need to play the first game you don't have to at all to understand the game. If you guys want a fun play through, try and use only alien weapons and be crazy researcher, it makes it very hard. Also 1 tip try and beat Xerxes at tic tac toe.

Playing a shootin' fightin' marine OORAH

On impossible difficulty, of course, since I've played the game at least once a year since 1998 so I kind of know where everything is. In the first part of med-sci I suddenly realised that I can skip roughly the first two thirds of the Von Braun because I know all of the door codes from memory.

I feel like some kind of System Shock 2 playing savant, which feels weirdly appropriate for the character you play in the game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm working from the disc version here but that's still relevant in this thread. Is there something special I have to do to enable higher widescreen resolutions? I installed SSTool 4.9, which as far as I can tell includes the NewDark 2.4 patch, but in the menu resolutions only go up to 1600x900. I want 1900x1200.

Open up cam.cfg and change the resolution line to whatever you want.

Top Bottom