• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taiwan bans the consumption of cat and dog meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/04/...st-country-asia-ban-consumption-cat-dog-meat/
Taiwan’s legislature passed a legal amendment on Tuesday banning the consumption of cat and dog meat.

The amendments to the Animal Protection Act state that offenders can be punished with a monetary fine of NTD 50,000 to 250,000 (USD $1,632 to $8,000), Taiwan’s Central News Agency reported.

The island banned the sale of dog and cat meat or organs – or products containing these ingredients – in 2001.

Tuesday’s Legislative Yuan amendments raised the penalty for such crimes to a maximum of two years’ imprisonment and a fine of NTD 2 million (USD $65,000). The names, photographs and crimes of convicted defendants may also be publicised.

The amendments were proposed by opposition Kuomintang legislator Wang Yu-min, who called their approval a “birthday present” – she was born on April 11, 1974.

According to online outlet Storm Media, she proposed the amendments in response to a number of high-profile incidents of animal abuse. She said that the previous penalties were not sufficient as deterrents.

Ultimately I don't really care if people eat dog but Is Taiwan one of those places that torched dogs alive because the pain/fear adds to the taste? That shits beyond fucked.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Yeah the issue is the treatment of the animals prior to being turned into a meal. Many of the dogs are stolen from people and are tortured before hand.

Tagyhag

Yeah the issue is the treatment of the animals prior to being turned into a meal. Many of the dogs are stolen from people and are tortured before hand.

Yep, I don't care if it's part of your culture, boiling the animals alive is fucked.

Dice//

Banned
Dogs and cats have done it!!

They've been bred to be cute and friendly and have avoided being part of the human food chain!

6wIYO67.gif

QnkFrG3.gif

MGrant

This is actually targeted toward certain immigrant communities here in Taiwan. Not sure how much of it is good policy as opposed to xenophobia, but seems like much ado about nothing since no one has been allowed to sell it for 16 years. But making a big noise out of nothing due to prejudice is what the KMT likes most.

Laekon

Ultimately I don't really care if people eat dog but Is Taiwan one of those places that torched dogs alive because the pain/fear adds to the taste? That shits beyond fucked.

I use to spend 3 months a year or more in Taiwan. I never saw or heard anything about people eating dogs or cats there. In fact I remember co-workers making a lot of derogatory comments about main land Chinese eating dogs.

I don't know about that, but back when I lived in Korea there was a video circulating of a man stringing a dog up in a tree by it's neck, letting it swing around while the guy repeatedly beat it with a stick. The guy would then let the dog down on the ground for a moment before bringing it up again for another round.

After he was done, he let the dog down and lead it back into a building. Dog was totally walking like nothing had even happened just then.

It was one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen.

Xe4

Banned
TBH, I can't not be fine with people eating cats and dogs while simultaneously being fine with eating cows, pigs, and chicken. I'm sure many from India look at us rating cows the same way as us eating cat and dog.

I do have a problem with the way they are raised and killed, and sometimes that they are captured off the street. But I have an eual problem with factory farming.

Artificial meat can't come soon enough. I'm gonna be there day one.

Wag

With my dog I don't get no respect. He keeps barking at the front door. He don't want to go out. He wants me to leave.

Daigoro

yay! because dogs and cats lives have moral value, but cows, pigs, sheep, chickens, and fish lives don't.

a true reason to celebrate.

I can't logically justify being against eating cats and dogs and not being against eating any other type of meat.

But considering the animal abuse horror stories out of these, eh. Some moral outrage is certainly warranted.

jerry113

Banned
As someone who lived in Taiwan for 12 years, I can tell you that eating dogs & cats was already socially taboo to begin with. It's akin to eating horse meat here in the USA.

Xe4

Banned
yay! because dogs and cats lives have moral value, but cows, pigs, sheep, chickens, and fish lives don't.

a true reason to celebrate.
I don't see many in this thread celebrating. Some are making bad jokes, and other are giving nauanced opinions.

Though I do care more about dogs and cats lives than that of a fish, though that is more a reflection on the fish than the dog.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I don't even know Taiwan eats dogs. Probably one of those things that is technically allowed but nobody does anymore as society prospers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom