• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack |OT| - Indie Action For Vita Launch

Such a good game! Had alittle trouble on Desert Storm, i had to play the level a couple of times to get gold.
V6q9T.jpg

Number45

Took me a while to get into this, but later on the game is complete genius. Just watching the credits roll now, but can't wait to get back in and try and find everything. ^_^

EDIT: Quick question: what do people do when they're in the pipes being pulled around? Do you just let go of the stick and let it do what it needs to or do you guide at all? Also noticed that there are some hidden paths so it might be worthwhile to mash circle as you go.

Grisby

Still having a good time. Got one more world left.

Pretty simple mechanics and the challenge, although easy, is fun in a laid back platformer way.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Amazing game!

Anyone know where to find the 2nd blob friend in Level 20: Defcon 75? I've been stuck on it for a while.

EDIT: Found it! :D Man, I feel stupid as fuck.

Amazing game!

Anyone know where to find the 2nd blob friend in Level 20: Defcon 75? I've been stuck on it for a while.

I was just about to ask this exact question, but then your post made me feel stupid, so I replayed the level and ended up finding it. Yay!

Yea I had the hardest time getting the second blob friend on level 20. Also had a hard time getting all of the escape pods on the last level, but then I found that pressing select kills your blob allowing me to restart at the pod launch rather than starting at the beginning.

I have had a blast with this game and have found my way up very high on the leaderboards on many levels. I am number one on 3 different levels and number 2 on a couple of others. Though that may have changed by now.

Are medals solely based on time? I've gotten gold on every level but Level-2 so far, and it's annoying me! My time is 2:36 with a score of 40, 290... :(

You've probably gotten it since your post, but for anyone else struggling I just got the gold medal on level 2 with a raw (pre-time bonus) score of 31,900. Don't know what the actual cutoff is, but it's probably not much lower. As long as you get everything in the first sections of the level, including the blob friends, you don't have to be 100% perfect in the last laser chase section... but you still have to get most of the crap there.

Grisby

Finished. I was hoping for a more awesome ending cinematic but I enjoyed the credits immensely.

Great game Drinkbox, well done.

Noticed that I got my refund for the duff version of this today (broken version has been removed from my download list too). I've bought the working version now :) from what little I've played is great fun.

KillerAJD

Man, I hope we get some dlc for this. I'd pay $3-5 for another two+ "worlds" in a heartbeat. Would also love to see some kind of co-op implemented into the game. C'mon Drinkbox, do it!

Bebpo

Banned
Just beat this. I really liked it at first, but as I played on I kept getting less and less interested and kept thinking I should be spending this time playing all the great retail Vita games I haven't touched instead.

It's a very solid platformer, don't get me wrong. Good length for the price, nice clean visuals, eating stuff and growing is satisfying. But there's never any moments of genius. No sections in the game feel extremely well designed and satisfying. Everything is just kind of doing the motions. It feels like a smaller dev putting out a early game where they're learning how to make great games, but it never feels like a great platformer by the big boys.

It also has some things I didn't like:

-TOO MUCH TOUCHING. The touch puzzles/platforming mess up the pace because it is a GAME YOU ARE PLAYING WITH STICKS AND BUTTONS and then suddenly you have to reach into the middle of the screen and start moving/spinning things. I thought there were too many of these sections, almost none of which required any skill and were just like "HEY, LOOK YOU CAN TOUCH ON THE VITA" blah. Plus sometimes I'd lose a few lives because the physics would go wacko on touching speed.

-The top-down rolling stuff kind of sucked. The ones where you have to be accurate and avoid pits was basically like similar Mario Galaxy stages except waaaay worse. The physics were funky and if you even touched the outside of a pit ring you'd die which was kind of annoying. Then the non-pit stages were just boring. There was nothing wrong with the tilt stuff, but...it just wasn't fun gameplay.

-Likewise the flying sections were pretty boring. Not much challenge to them and there were tons and tons of flying sections. I'm enjoying the platformer parts and then it's zzz boost/flying land.

-The core platforming was just ok. Because of the floating physics there's not much that's particularly challenging platforming. It's just sort of doing the motions with occasional puzzles. Which is ok, it just doesn't stand out.

-I felt like the size thing was all screwed in terms of sense of scale. Mainly because even though you were growing and growing every stage, you would always start the next stage smaller than the size you ended the previous stage which makes zero sense! It always makes it feel like the growth is really slow since you take two steps forward and one back. I would've preferred if each stage started from where the previous one ended and the stages kept containing bigger and bigger objects to eat.

-Too many one-chance missables. Especially ones where you miss it and then even if you quickly blow yourself up, you start after it. I like being able to take my time and get all the collectibles in one play for each stage.

Other things I liked:
+The collectibles are fun.
+Good leaderboards and use of online.
+Pretty good trophies.
+Fun music.
+Controls felt good.

Overall it's a good game. What keeps it from being a great game isn't even a lot of the nitpicky stuff I described, but rather that it just doesn't have enough mechanics to stay fresh. You have platforming, touch bar things, boost flying, magnetics....and that's about all there is for the entire game. Just areas based on one of those 4 mechanics. The game needed a few more interesting mechanics to keep each world feeling fresh and interesting. And in the end it just needed better level designs.

But it's a good start. I'll definitely keep on the look out for their next game and I would recommend this one to almost anyone, though I might tell them to play their AAA retail/psn titles first and get to this later on.

magawolaz

This game deserves more love, I just completed it (100% without guides/videos :D) and I absolutely loved it.

I agree with Bebpo that the sense of scale is a bit "strange", but other than that I really enjoyed it. Very challenging if you want to obtain every trophy: that blob-friend on
the clouds in the city
was a pain in the ass to reach.
I really hope for DLCs or a sequel.

Ragus

Banned
I've just finished the last world.

Oh my god. This game was so fun. During the last stage I was literally laughing to myself. Great game.

I hope that we'll see more games from this developer on vita.

If you really like this type of game and haven't played Loco Roco yet, I can recommend Loco Roco 2, the PSP original. You can buy and play it off the store just fine I think (I got it from my download list, on the Vita itself), and it's really good, one of the all time classic platformers and extremely original.

Staal

Just finished it, absolutely a fun game for the Vita.
I'm not a fan of the floaty controls and agree with the comments made above, but would still advise the game to everybody with a Vita.

Now on to Rayman!

Grinchy

Banned
Totally didn't notice there was an OT for this game. I've been trying to find people to challenge in the general Vita thread.

This game is really good. I feel like the short levels make it more addicting to go after leaderboard positions.

VanWinkle

I loved this game. Wasn't a huge fan of the rocket sections and the labrynth style tilt-a-blob levels, but it was still a fantastic platformer.

Been playing through the game and I'm enjoying it. Haven't beaten it yet. Not too crazy about the levels where you have to tilt but I was able to get a good score on one of them. Figure I give you guys some motivation ;)

2012-03-16-171408.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
I just beat the game. I did a lot of score attacks and finding the friends in levels or else I would have beaten it already. But I really love that last level. That was so cool haha

I didn't mind any of the tilt levels and I actually liked the rocket stuff, but I was bothered a few times by what I considered to be shitty touch screen controls. It's like it wasn't registering the moves properly. Not all the time, but just when accuracy was needed.

I was re-doing a tilt level and got a decent score

QRnRHl.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
Getting a gold in level 16 is such a pain in my ass. It's the last gold I need and it's at the point where I miss maybe 4 score bubbles in the entire level and it's still not enough.

Grinchy

Banned
Seriously, fuck level 16. I think I am now missing between 1 and 3 blue score bubbles in the entire level and it's not a gold. No other level has been this much of a bitch.

edit- fucking finally. I think I missed one score bubble...why was this level such a piece of shit

kXYrRl.jpg

Sh0k

Amazing game!

Can somebody help me find the 2nd blob friend on level 20 - Defcon 75? I've been re-trying this level since yesterday and I can't find the 2nd one ....

EDIT : Nevermind, just found it ...

edit- fucking finally. I think I missed one score bubble...why was this level such a piece of shit

Grats, that level gave me fits too (so did level 2, but not nearly as much). Don't know why the game expects near-perfection on that level when almost everything else in the game allows a ton of leeway for the gold. Oh well, at least it feels good when you finally get it down.

Grinchy

Banned
haha yeah it felt great 100%ing this game because I truly liked it a lot. I was really pissed off at that level when I was posting about it, but I'm sure it's not as bad as I was making it out to be.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just got this game because it does look awesome. I noticed there's a game for PS3 from this franchise too. How is that one?

LegoDad

Level 22 in Metropolis, where is the 2nd blob friend, the 1st one is
in the skyscrapers, is the 2nd one up there too?

Edit Found it in the
clouds

anddo0

Are there any walkthroughs out there for this game?

I've been stuck on lvl 12 forever (the multi-touch part). I'd like to finish this game. But this part of the game has been a major roadblock for me.

Top Bottom