• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Wagram

Is there a way to tell what abilities you can use in Soul Break. I like the concept, but I feel like i'm mashing buttons without purpose here.

I like Tales, but man the combat in all of them is pretty mashy to mediocre. :/

Caim

Is there a way to tell what abilities you can use in Soul Break. I like the concept, but I feel like i'm mashing buttons without purpose here.

I like Tales, but man the combat in all of them is pretty mashy to mediocre. :/

Do you mean for Velvet where she automatically does a finisher after a combo?

That is based on the type of monster you are fighting, but it also takes you out of her Soul Break state.

So if you want to stay in it and keep a combo going you would have to press R2 again to extend the combo and if it also gets the killing blow you get another Soul.

You aren't restricted in what artes you can use as far as I know, but I haven't played much of the other characters so I don't know much about them.

Bladenic

The dungeon I just finished was lame as hell, but the events and boss fight were awesome (dat cut-in). So far I'd say Magilou and Rokurou are the two stand out characters. I love Eizen and Rokurou's dynamic. Eleanor is cute, and Laphicet is alright but the VA is rather grating unfortunately at time. Velvet is cool but I'm not loving her. She's just a little too single minded, however she's one of the best MCs in battle so far I think.

I also really want a Bienfu plush, I love his design.

So far I'm left wanting more from the pirate/island part of the game. I figured it probably wouldn't fully live up to that part as I wished it did.

Also there's nothing more satisfying than unleashing a full 6 person mystic arte chain on a boss with a high weakness combo and dealing HUGE damage. Such a cool mechanic.

TheFatMan

You are refraining from getting a game because of a single scene which is arguably is not even particularly worse off? Ok, then.

This ^ I understand everyone is entitled to there own opinions, but if you are denying yourself the experience of playing one of the better Tales games we have had in a decade because of this....well you are just selling yourself short.

I mean it is literally a 5 second scene a couple of hours into the game and the final meaning of the scene isn't changed at all. It's a ridiculous thing to change but its also a ridiculous thing to get upset about.

Have to say, I'm really impressed with this game. I was so worried it would be like Zestiria. I've sunk 2 hours into it and it feels like 5 minutes.

Wagram

I like the characters and story so far, but combat is pretty boring. I'm on Hard and it feels like something lower than Normal difficulty. Here's hoping it steps up.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
For those who think both of Velvet's default outfits are bad, the server uniform (with rose corsage) looks really good on her, is free/not DLC, and can be procured fairly early on in game. The color scheme pairs well with her demon arm and hidden blade - and if you're a fan of One Piece, the fact that she fights with kicks, knives and fire might remind you of a certain similarly dressed chef from that series, as well.

Took a picture with my phone because this game is weird about the share function.

AULSujX.jpg

aravuus

For those who think both of Velvet's default outfits are bad, the server uniform (with rose corsage) looks really good on her, is free/not DLC, and can be procured fairly early on in game. The color scheme pairs well with her demon arm and hidden blade - and if you're a fan of One Piece, the fact that she fights with kicks, knives and fire might remind you of a certain similarly dressed chef from that series, as well.

Took a picture with my phone because this game is weird about the share function.

AULSujX.jpg

That does look very nice. Is it something you get by just playing through the story?

Mistle

http://i.imgur.com/AULSujX.jpg[/IM.G][/QUOTE]
cool, good that there are some bearable costumes haha. i heard the village outfit does the job also if the default one is too crazy

aravuus

You get that costume in a mini-game early into the game

Awesome, thanks! The "best Tales in a while" hype got to me, started pre-loading. Now I just gotta get Yakuza 0 to a spot where I can comfortably let it wait for a week or so before ToB unlocks.

Lagamorph

Are there any real differences between PC and PS4 versions? I can't decide which format to grab this on.
I should preface that with it's a PS4 Pro I have, but no idea if that'll make any difference.

PC has the advantage of being cheaper and I can play it on my laptop as well as desktop (970m and 970 graphics cards respectively) but I'll likely be playing through a Steam link.
PS4 on the other hand I'll have the advantage of my surround sound system downstairs plus any potential Pro patch for 4K.

Zhao_Yun

Are there any real differences between PC and PS4 versions? I can't decide which format to grab this on.
I should preface that with it's a PS4 Pro I have, but no idea if that'll make any difference.

PC has the advantage of being cheaper and I can play it on my laptop as well as desktop (970m and 970 graphics cards respectively) but I'll likely be playing through a Steam link.
PS4 on the other hand I'll have the advantage of my surround sound system downstairs plus any potential Pro patch for 4K.

I wouldn't expect a Pro Patch for this game, so probably PC?

Rahvar

How late was the US collector's editions? My local gamestop in Sweden hasn't recieved their delivery yet and I wanted to play this weekend -_-

Lnds500

TIP:

Expeditions work exactly like Dragon Age Inquisition war table missions. Meaning you can send your ship out, change the date in the PS4 settings and the mission is done within seconds instead of waiting for 30 minutes.

PoshAlligatorRD

Neo Member
I reviewed this for Rice - gotta say I really loved it. The story and characters took me by surprise with how much I enjoyed them. Some areas can feel like a bit of a grind though, but to an extent that just might be me wanting to do as many fights as possible pretty much.

Also have to say I thought the PC port was really good. Surprised by that one too.

Wondering what long time Tales fans think about it, but it seems to be pretty positive all around!

Rokuro is certainly interesting to fight with. I think setting him up as manual was a mistake. He flies around like a crazy person!

Will try semi when I get home tonight.

Me and my girl love the fighting in this one.

So far everyone, but the little boy have been interesting characters.

One of the songs that plated during a battle was definitely a remake of an older battle song. I instantly remembered it, but can't pick out which game it's from.

aitakute

Rokuro is certainly interesting to fight with. I think setting him up as manual was a mistake. He flies around like a crazy person!

Me and my girl live the fighting in this one.

One of the songs that plated during a battle was definitely a remake of an older battle song. I instantly remembered it, but can't pick out which game it's from.
Don't worry. Laphicet has a lot of character development. You will be impressed by him in the end

aravuus

TIP:

Expeditions work exactly like Dragon Age Inquisition war table missions. Meaning you can send your ship out, change the date in the PS4 settings and the mission is done within seconds instead of waiting for 30 minutes.

Wonder if something like cheat engine's speed hack would work for this on PC. Not a particularly big fan of waiting-around-"missions" like this, so hopefully nothing particularly important is tied to the expeditions. Planning on playing on hard or higher from the get-go so gonna need all the help I can get.

aitakute

One piece of advice here if you want to unlock Velvet's subquest later in the game. You should start cooking using Vlvet as soon as you can. Don't forget to set her to auto cook something. You need to max her cooking skill to unlock it. Which is a loooooong process.

Pastry

Banned
Beat Hellawes last night, enjoying the game for the most part.

Should I be engaging in every fight or is it okay to avoid some?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Beat Hellawes last night, enjoying the game for the most part.

Should I be engaging in every fight or is it okay to avoid some?

Its ok to avoid some. At least I did that on other Tales of Games and never had issues.

CrazyDude

One piece of advice here if you want to unlock Velvet's subquest later in the game. You should start cooking using Vlvet as soon as you can. Don't forget to set her to auto cook something. You need to max her cooking skill to unlock it. Which is a loooooong process.

How do unlock everyones sub quest?

Soriku

Me and my girl live the fighting in this one.

How is the 2 player camera?

the howlongtobeat site says this game is over 50 hours for the main story alone, does anyone know if thats correct? I hope so but that seems twice as long as most recent tales games.

Game finally arrived, but will probably beat FFXV first before I dive in.

Couldn't find a direct answer through the Google machine, but could someone give me some deets on what the Grade system is like in the game? Is it just earned through battles a la Tales of Symphonia, or is there a different system like Lords of the Land in Zesteria?

Lnds500

The gameplay is so tedious.. why do some devs have the obsession that you need to study before you start a game..?? :(

And I know that I am not the most knowledgeable person on the series but I find the combat so bland and boring at its core. It's one of those games where I am moving forward in the story but I have the feeling that I am playing it the wrong way all the time.

*sigh*

Game finally arrived, but will probably beat FFXV first before I dive in.

Couldn't find a direct answer through the Google machine, but could someone give me some deets on what the Grade system is like in the game? Is it just earned through battles a la Tales of Symphonia, or is there a different system like Lords of the Land in Zesteria?
It's earned through battles AND not only is it used to purchase NG+ extras, it's also the points that are tallied toward equipment exp to master skills.

How is the 2 player camera?

Haven't had any issues yet. It zooms in and out, and of course it's not focused on one character is like single player battles.

It's better then Zestiria's camera, which my girl eventually grew irritated with and quit.

She took over Velvet, I think I'll try Eizen next time.

straylize

the howlongtobeat site says this game is over 50 hours for the main story alone, does anyone know if thats correct? I hope so but that seems twice as long as most recent tales games.

It's probably a bit less, but my metric is that with doing pretty much all the side content and playing one specific minigame for a good long while, and stumbling a bit with it not being my native language, I finished my first run of the import in 89 hours.

For comparison's sake with how I play: Zestiria under the same conditions, it was 50, with Xillia 2, that was 60. It was probably about 70-80 for Vesperia for me if I'm remembering right. I'm generally a slow player because I like to explore every corner or every area, but there is just a lot of meat to the game. If you're planning on doing sidequest or ever get sucked into minigames, it'll definitely skew the hour count a bit.

Is it possible to miss the EX Dungeon like in Vesperia?

Bladenic

Magilou gets a weapon called Lulu Doll that looks like Rollo from ToX2. This seems like an oversight since Lulu is his JP name, not his English name.

Top Bottom