• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

SkylineRKR

Destiny was my first Tales of game. I loved the sampler that came with RR4. Bought the US release. Great game with great characters. Its one of the best along with Phantasia and Vesperia. Stahn was funny.

Legendia... I hated it tbh.

If any Tales game needs a remake it's Legendia. It didn't even have mystic artes for crying out loud :(

Is it me or is the AI wildly competent in Berseria by Tales standards? Not only do they perfect dodge a lot, but they also actually *GASP* guard???

it's improved, they actually put effort on this
they are finally able to defend and actually attack enemies, and not just run in circles

They are actually trying to KILL the enemies...

Jiraiza

it's improved, they actually put effort on this
they are finally able to defend and actually attack enemies, and not just run in circles

They are actually trying to KILL the enemies...

They're okay. Velvet's AI when in Eater mode isn't exactly the smartest thing around.

Is it seriously not going to unlock on Steam till 3pm tomorrow? Ugh.

If any Tales game needs a remake it's Legendia. It didn't even have mystic artes for crying out loud :(

Is it me or is the AI wildly competent in Berseria by Tales standards? Not only do they perfect dodge a lot, but they also actually *GASP* guard???

They probably learned something from the R games because those had crazy good AI too

StereoVsn

So they're really not doing the uncensor patch on Steam huh? Guess I'll grab the PS4 copy when it's dirt cheap then.
You are refraining from getting a game because of a single scene which is arguably is not even particularly worse off? Ok, then.

Derkon

Wow, so I emailed Amazon today about my preorder and the response let me know that they would not have stock for another month. This might be the first time I've heard of this happening with a Tales game at launch. Guess I'm going to Gamestop later today.

Wow, so I emailed Amazon today about my preorder and the response let me know that they would not have stock for another month. This might be the first time I've heard of this happening with a Tales game at launch. Guess I'm going to Gamestop later today.

That's odd. I just checked my status and it's said it's being prepared to ship.

Bladenic

They're okay. Velvet's AI when in Eater mode isn't exactly the smartest thing around.

Yeah I've been mainly controlling Velvet almost exclusively but the few times I don't I always see her health in the red. I also don't see Rokurou or Magilou using their break souls as intended and I'm not sure which AI option is best to make them use their break souls appropriately.

Giolon

Got about 3 or 4 hours in last night, through to what is the game's first "real" dungeon. Really enjoying the game on the whole so far. The characters are very entertaining (Magilou? More like Magilololol), even if they're not at all realistic. Velvet's gone pretty edgelord though. She makes Yuri look like Lloyd. I'm loving the fully voiced skits.

The new combo system is great at first impression. Instead of being stuck in the early game with only 3 hit + 1 Arte combos like the older Tales games, this new "build your own 4-hit combo" + Break Soul to continue the loop at the cost of Soul Gauge seems like a great, freeing mechanic. I do think I'm going to miss the aspect of Arte discovery based on usage or team-combos though (unless they show up later on)

But now goddamn this game throws mechanics and jargon at you fast and furious. People give FFXIII shit, but this is at least three times as bad.

I've been playing on Moderate difficulty and it was super easy...until I got to the Baron Bat optional? boss monster in the first dungeon. Welp, he's a few levels over me, and I got my ass kicked and had to run away. Time to "git gud" I guess.

No true overworld is an interesting choice. I'm afraid it's going to make the whole world feel small. WTB a sprint button though.

I've not played a Tales game in years, and it's great to be back. All the stuff Bamco was doing with Xillia (two protagonists, play the whole game twice to get the full story + immediate sequel) and Zestiria (party member switcheroo!) turned me off of those games. Maybe I'll go back to them since they should be cheap.

11 hours in and I really like it even though the story is still slow, it seems to be picking up though. Combat is still just a combination of pressing x and r2 on normal. Gonna save my replay for the high difficulties. Magilou is hilarious.

Did the ps3 version come out in the US? I noticed when I put my ps4 version from amazon in that it added the ps3 trophies which I thought was weird if they is no other version in the US. The back of the case is only half English at most too,

Bladenic

Rokurou needs a shirtless costume like his skit art.

Shokure is super hot too.

Anyway, it's so cool seeing locations from Zestiria and characters like NPCs pop up. I think you'd miss out on a lot if you hadn't played Zestiria, though I suppose you can go back and play Zestiria as a sequel and get the reverse effect.

Rainy

Banned
Did the ps3 version come out in the US? I noticed when I put my ps4 version from amazon in that it added the ps3 trophies which I thought was weird if they is no other version in the US. The back of the case is only half English at most too,

PS3 version only came out in Japan IIRC.

Copper

Glad I picked this up. Impressions on it seems good. Finished RE7 earlier today so will probably start this soon. Apparently it's 55 hours for main game which sounds pretty good.

Anoxida

Still cant decide wether I wanna pick this up full price. I really didnt care for the last 3 entries in the series. I'll most likely cave tomorrow and buy steam version.

Copy finally shipped from amazon along with kh2.8, should be here by Saturday but ill probably be to occupied with Gravity Rush 2 to play it. Hopefully they come out with the rest of the costumes next week, looking forward to jumping in then.

Rainy

Banned
Can someone explain how title skills work? So say for example I have the "Bloody Boot" title. It says I have used 816/5000 Martial Artes (Which is interesting since I don't think I've equipped this title ever). When I use 5000 artes with the title equipped do I get all of the skills associated with it? Or do I even have to have the title equipped?

Bladenic

Can someone explain how title skills work? So say for example I have the "Bloody Boot" title. It says I have used 816/5000 Martial Artes (Which is interesting since I don't think I've equipped this title ever). When I use 5000 artes with the title equipped do I get all of the skills associated with it? Or do I even have to have the title equipped?

Whatever title you have equipped, you get the benefits listed. However, you don't need a title equipped to raise its level. So whenever you end up using 5000 martial artes, you'll have raised that title's level regardless if you had ever equipped it.

Edit: however I don't believe you get any of the title benefits permanently no matter what.

Rainy

Banned
Whatever title you have equipped, you get the benefits listed. However, you don't need a title equipped to raise its level. So whenever you end up using 5000 martial artes, you'll have raised that title's level regardless if you had ever equipped it.

Edit: however I don't believe you get any of the title benefits permanently no matter what.

Alright got it, thanks!

only played about 2 hours;
just only escaped the prison

looks a little better than Zesteria, seems like it still has those barren fields. will play a little more tomorrow!

Notice that every time you leave a zone and re enter it everything resets. Those cat droppings, the chests, the items you find when traveling around. Everything.

I already put 8 hours into this game and I can't wait until after work tomorrow so I can continue

Rainy

Banned
Are the Chipped Copper Coins and Tarnished Silver Coins safe to sell or should I save it for weapon enhancing?

Are the Chipped Copper Coins and Tarnished Silver Coins safe to sell or should I save it for weapon enhancing?

If you press r2 I believe while on the materials section, you can look at different types. I'm pretty sure the third type that includes those two is just intended to be sold. Enhancement materials are separate

Let's say I'm at a boss fight and I find myself down to just two souls, how can I generate more, quickly.

I don't mean I have four but only 2 charged and I run away until they recharge. Let's say I only have two and I want a third. What is the fastest way to get more.

Bladenic

Let's say I'm at a boss fight and I find myself down to just two souls, how can I generate more, quickly.

I don't mean I have four but only 2 charged and I run away until they recharge. Let's say I only have two and I want a third. What is the fastest way to get more.

Perfect dodge. Alternatively, using a mystic artes generates one as does switching a character in.

In Hard if you get stunned you are pretty much dead if the enemy hitting you is a boss or a bunch of normal enemies.

Anyone know if hitting enemies from behind increases the stun chance?

See to switch characters it says to hit R2 or L2
But when I do that either she goes into berserk claw mode or she does her ultimate super bad ass cut scene ability

Hold L1 + left or right Dpad.

Also gaining a SG requires you to proceed far enough to the point where you unlock Mystic Artes/Switch Blast IIRC.

Caim

In Hard if you get stunned you are pretty much dead if the enemy hitting you is a boss or a bunch of normal enemies.

Hold L1 + left or right Dpad.

Also gaining a SG requires you to proceed far enough to the point where you unlock Mystic Artes/Switch Blast IIRC.

Nope, but if the enemy is suffering from Attack Down the chances go up by 4x.

Rainy

Banned
Just finished the Hellawes portion....

LOL I can't believe Velvet and crew burnt down the whole port of the city. Teresa was pretty unlikable though so I'm glad how things ended up. But whew this is gonna come back to bite them.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Three hours in and I'm just button mashing, no idea what I'm doing and it doesn't seem to matter.

Don't think back attacks make a difference in boosting RNG for stun. And yes, fighting the early optional bat boss on Hard took me from full hp to dead getting stunlocked in its sonar scream. I literally could do nothing but watch my health tick away... Still beat it after using a lifebottle, but that was brutal moment.

Top Bottom