• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

1. Tales of Destiny DC
2. Tales of Destiny 2
3. Tales of Rebirth
4. Tales of Graces
5. Tales of Berseria

Graces makes it for combat, but little else since it's one of my favorites, Berseria is great overall but the combat isn't really challenging at any point for me so it's just that I really enjoy the story and characters more than the other parts.

I ruminated on this for a while after playing the import to see if my feelings for Berseria would change with time as they did for the Xillias and Graces, but... nope, upon replaying it a few months later, I love it just the same as I did the first go-around.

Destiny DC is a BEAST, that game is really GOOD, sadly I cannot put it in my top 5 since it's in Japanese only
same with rebirth and destiny 2, but I gotta admit those games are just awesome, i'm with you with DC, always hoping for a localization

Taruranto

FWIW, at least the areas are better than in Zesteria lol. I've been tolerating the field design so far, but the hike through the southern island to reach Haria (or Halia or something) was just awful. Like 4 or 5 separate corridors just one after the other, it just kept going and going but it never changed.

I think I actually said "are you fucking kidding me" out loud when I got to the fourth part of the area before reaching the village lol.

Dungeons design isn't really any better. I find myself skipping almost every encounter because 1) the game is still easy af and it doesn't really feel like I get anything out of these repetitive trash mob encounters and 2) I just want to get out of this beach/cave/tower/whatever asap and see what happens next in the story lol

This is the only thing that stops me from getting the game. I can live with the meh equipment system, but I'm still not over Xillia and Zestry super-awful area design.

It's a shame because I really want to play it.

R0ckman

Are they using Leon as the ToD main character because of DC? It seems like he has completely usurped Stan as the main representative of ToD when they show case main characters from the game.

I gotta say ToD2 was the worst main entry title for me, that SP gauge was so lame. It felt like you were punished for it more than enemies. This new one is like a better version of that.

Taruranto

Are they using Leon as the ToD main character because of DC? It seems like he has completely usurped Stan as the main representative of ToD when they show case main characters from the game.

Japan has a thing for him, though personally I can't understand why, very mediocre character.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Woodrow/Garr is the real star.

woodrow.jpg

Namco even realized this and re-made him into the protagonist for a later game.

latest

t

I gotta say ToD2 was the worst main entry title for me, that SP gauge was so lame. It felt like you were punished for it more than enemies. This new one is like a better version of that.
Leon has been the most popular ToD character since forever.

Japan has a thing for him, though personally I can't understand why, very mediocre character.
It's not really just a Japan thing, I remember Leon having plenty of fans back in the day in the English community too. There just hasn't been an English ToD game since 1998.

Demonfang

Banned
My top 5 localised Tales are (best to worst):
- Tales of the Abyss
- Tales of Symphonia
- Tales of Vesperia
- Tales of Eternia
- Tales of Xillia

Berseria may be able to beat out Xillia and Eternia so far but it isnt't touching the top 3 as of now.

Btw guys, there are fan translations in the works for Destiny R, Rebirth and Destiny 2. Just gotta be patient!

R0ckman

I think if they didn't milk his death and actually gave him a "what if he got out of libra iv" scenario and let him fully develop in the remake he could have been great. He was better than his original character from PSX, love the scene where he attempts to invite Rutee to live with the family at the mansion when hes sick in bed on the ship.

aravuus

History of bathing in Midgand

Fucking lmao. I haven't played Vesperia in YEARS so I can't say for sure, but I definitely feel like this one has the best overall skit quality.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
History of bathing in Midgand

Fucking lmao. I haven't played Vesperia in YEARS so I can't say for sure, but I definitely feel like this one has the best overall skit quality.
That entire
prison
sequence had amazing skits. Wait until you get to the one about the mysterious letter.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Finally done.

Great story, but if the devs don't do serious work on the level design and stop barraging me with several skits at the same time, I think I'm done with Tales.

It's just so boring, and really gets in the way of the story.

straylize

Eh. PSX Leon is pretty weak, remake Leon is a more well-rounded, enjoyable character in all ways. Pretty much everything that came after the original game (including manga/drama cds/novels) does a better job with Leon than the original did. Tragic bishounens are a lot of people's jam.

I still like other characters better (if... my own avatar isn't telling enough) but he's not really a bad character and can be very likeable if you don't mind that character type.

Bladenic

The spinach skit is AMAZING

Also it took them an entire generation but they finally made a really beautiful
snow town. It's gorgeous.

What's the word on the PC version?

I have a PS4, but typically if PC version is an option I go that way.
PC version is great. I've been running through the game and have had no issues at all.

Some people are experiencing some stutter but there is an official fix coming for it. In the meantime there is an unofficial fix that apparently works great. Has something to do with the framerate.

I've been blazing through with my Wii U pro controller and its been butter. I have it installed on my SSD since it's like 14GB as well and have had virtually zero load times. Can get into and out of the game super fast and going from area to area is some of the fastest I've ever seen from any game ever.

SolVanderlyn

Is this the same character?

What happened to his skin color?
In some art it's lighter, in some art it's darker. The concept art I posted is from the same rendition of the game the character card you posted is. He's seemingly amorphous, but mostly depicted as dark.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Tales of Destiny: Directors Cut is that one game that needs to be translated that never seems to get any traction with translation groups.

kewlmyc

I have not had this bug.

Are you sure? The AI for the game is supposed to be surprisingly aggressive, triggering Mystic Arts on their own, and helping out with combos. The AI on PC usually attacks once then backs off. It might attack again at some point if an enemy gets near them, but generally its no where near as aggressive as the AI on the PS4 version.

Tales of Destiny: Directors Cut is that one game that needs to be translated that never seems to get any traction with translation groups.

It has a dedicated translation group that's around halfway done iirc.

Zafir

I have not had this bug.

You might have, it's not quite as bad as Basileus stated.

They do function, just really poorly. They only use one Soul of their SG at most, and they generally only do one attack and back off.

It's not really noticeable on normal, or near the start of the game. As you get further in the game, and if you play on higher difficulties, it becomes pretty damn noticeable and irritating.

Bladenic

It's funny that the PC version has a bug that makes the AI act like they often did in other Tales games lmao. Like I recall Alisha loved doing an attack or two then running away in Zestiria.

The AI is probably the best in the series. The amount of perfect dodges alone that they do is great. The AI still has quirks, notably AI Velvet is constantly low on HP using her break Soul and the AI still doesn't pull of mystic artes on their own at the best of times i.e. when an enemy is stunned or during a weakness combo. Those are minor flaws though.

yeoz

You might have, it's not quite as bad as Basileus stated.

They do function, just really poorly. They only use one Soul of their SG at most, and they generally only do one attack and back off.

It's not really noticeable on normal, or near the start of the game. As you get further in the game, and if you play on higher difficulties, it becomes pretty damn noticeable and irritating.
yeah, absolutely. it was a real struggle to play on intense/evil, and after applying the vjoy workaround the game suddenly got easy ヾ(˙▿˙)ノ

Datschge

1. Tales of Destiny DC
2. Tales of Destiny 2
3. Tales of Rebirth
4. Tales of Graces
5. Tales of Berseria
I like you. Would personally put Rebirth first, but in general I really miss 2D Tales. I wish there'd be a realistic chance for it to come back.

and I'm not sure if anyone has figured out how to maximize the draw distance to be much better than on PS4 (or is that just a simple option in the menu)
It's an option in the menu on PC, yes.

Oh and another major thing! I've yet to see any boob jokes! I believe this is the second game (Zestiria didn't have them either) to not have them in a row, is the Tales series finally grown up enough? Or is it simply because none of the females were designed with DD boobs in mind?
Boob jokes only show up in "Team Symphonia" style games.

This has to be Sakuraba's worst OST ever.
Completely disagree, but I seem to be in a minority. Berseria has a lot of character specific themes and I think it uses them for the best effect in Tales since Symphonia, if not the best ever (not that there were many character themes used in the games in between).

Anyway your post and the examples you used tells me that people really liked Shinji Tamura (a lot of fan favorites are his doing), maybe he should have continued instead Sakuraba even though many of the constant complaints about him apply doubly so for Tamura. *shrugs*

Pejo

Oh we're doing lists huh? Cool, here's mine -

1. Vesperia
2. Symphonia
3. Hearts R
4. Abyss PS2
5. Graces F

I haven't played Zestiria or the two Xilia's yet, though I own all 3.

How am I doing GAF?

Man it's crazy how much more playable the PC version is with that VJoy fix. I'm suddenly getting buttloads of XP and levels, tons of Grade, which means faster equipment mastery, the bosses aren't 45 minute Guard Fests, my party members are actually using artes and mystic artes. It's like a whole new game.

My list of favourite tales game would go like this

1.Symphonia
2.Hearts R
3.Berseria(may change depending on the ending)
4.Zestiria
5.Symphonia 2

rickyson1

I haven't played many tales games but for me it's:

Vesperia

Zestiria

right now it's looking like Berseria will slot in slightly above Vesperia on that list for me but i'm still only like halfway in

aravuus

I haven't played many tales games but for me it's:

Vesperia

Zestiria

right now it's looking like Berseria will slot in slightly above Vesperia on that list for me but i'm still only like halfway in

I like how the only two Tales games you've played are the ones that I love the most and hate the most lol.

KainXVIII

My favorite is Tales of Phantasia, Tales of Destiny comes closer, rest that i beat (Eternia, Zestiria) can be safely skipped (for me anyway).
PS - oh, also dropped Tales of Abyss and Tales of Symphonia after few hours of playing, they just not aged well.

rickyson1

I like how the only two Tales games you've played are the ones that I love the most and hate the most lol.

yeah it's definitely a weird mix and had me questioning if maybe I just caught lightning in a bottle with Vesperia and the tales series wasn't really for me after playing Zestiria

seems it was just a weaker entry like people said though

Zedark

I see we're listing top 5s, so here goes:

1. Tales of Vesperia;
2. Tales of Berseria (final ranking pending, 14 hours in atm);
3. Tales of Symphonia;
4. Tales of Graces F;
5. Tales of Zestiria (just because I utterly dislike the Xillias).

For me I think Berseria is at the top and I'm not even finished yet.

There are so many things about it that are good that so far it's the best overall package.

It makes me wonder if they will be able to reach the same level of quality or higher in their next game.

Bladenic

There are so many things about it that are good that so far it's the best overall package.

It makes me wonder if they will be able to reach the same level of quality or higher in their next game.

Best not to get our hopes too much. I definitely hope we're at least gonna see a good leap in graphics/tech for the next game. Like please fix your shadows at least.

I just took out the strongest dire foe on Intense with no deaths and got 185 grade, feels good. I also unlocked Chaos but I had to cheese the giganto by beating it on Simple, feels bad. Oh well.

kewlmyc

1. Tales of the Abyss
2. Tales of Vesperia
3. Tales of Xillia 2
4. Tales of Hearts R
5. Tales of Graces f

Need to finish Symphonia some day. Xillia and Zestiria didn't make the list.

I can see Berseria making either 2 or 3, maybe even 1.

As much as I've played tales games I've never enjoyed the series enough to raelly care to list it, the only standout is Symphonia, so

1. Symphonia

Done. I enjoyed the xillias enough, same with Vesperia. Zestiria and Symphonia DotNW were awful. Havent played Abyss or Legendia.

Hoping Berseria can put itself into my head as more than just "enjoyable". Zestiria left me jaded, but everything I know about Berseria has me thinking I should like it a lot. I'm still trying to wait until this long ass flight I have coming up to start playing it though

Theandrin

Zestiria is still the only Tales game I have started but never finished, and I never will finish it. I put up with the go back and fetch quests in Metroid Prime and Wind Waker, and I swore I would never do it again. Due to that alone, Zestiria will forever be at the bottom of the list when it comes to Tales games for me.

That being said, I am really enjoying Berseria. I'm only around 15 hours in, but I could see this being in the top 3 for me behind Vesperia and Symphonia. Some of the skits get a little long and I feel like at times there are far too many of them at once, but overall a very solid title for me so far. Unless the second half of the game really screws everything up (like Zestiria did), this will be a great entry.

Vitanimus

So is this game friendly for beginners regarding the Tales of franchise? Only Tales game I've played was Graces on PS3 and couldn't finish it because the story and characters were complete trash.

kewlmyc

So is this game friendly for beginners regarding the Tales of franchise? Only Tales game I've played was Graces on PS3 and couldn't finish it because the story and characters were complete trash.

Yes, this is an excellent picking up point. They're all separate stories, and this one is being well received by new and old fans alike.

Wagram

Do they ever say why Eizen has this Reaper's Curse? It's been a some-what decent plot point that I feel like hasn't had an origin story yet.

Since we're running with top 5 Tales. I'll toss mine in:

1.) Tales of Graces F
2.) Tales of the Abyss
3.) Tales of Vesperia
4.) Tales of Hearts R
5.) Tales of Xillia

Haven't played Destiny, Eternia, or Zesteria yet despite owning them all. Only Tales I legitimately dislike is Legendia. It's bad.

Jiraiza

As long they never compromise on the chemistry between the cast, I'll be happy more or less.

Top Bottom