• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Wagram

It really is a shame how the area design is completely bland. I've reran this same exact area like 5 times now under different names. If the game was better balanced and had areas that I wanted to explore I would love this so much more. I like it, but I could have seen this being one of my favorite Tales if it wasn't so frustrating in these two design areas.

R0ckman

It really is a shame how the area design is completely bland. I've reran this same exact area like 5 times now under different names. If the game was better balanced and had areas that I wanted to explore I would love this so much more. I like it, but I could have seen this being one of my favorite Tales if it wasn't so frustrating in these two design areas.

Thats the one thing they never out did after Symphonia, it actually got worse after that as far as 3D games go.

aravuus

FWIW, at least the areas are better than in Zesteria lol. I've been tolerating the field design so far, but the hike through the southern island to reach Haria (or Halia or something) was just awful. Like 4 or 5 separate corridors just one after the other, it just kept going and going but it never changed.

I think I actually said "are you fucking kidding me" out loud when I got to the fourth part of the area before reaching the village lol.

Dungeons design isn't really any better. I find myself skipping almost every encounter because 1) the game is still easy af and it doesn't really feel like I get anything out of these repetitive trash mob encounters and 2) I just want to get out of this beach/cave/tower/whatever asap and see what happens next in the story lol

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
FWIW, at least the areas are better than in Zesteria lol. I've been tolerating the field design so far, but the hike through the southern island to reach Haria (or Halia or something) was just awful. Like 4 or 5 separate corridors just one after the other, it just kept going and going but it never changed.

I think I actually said "are you fucking kidding me" out loud when I got to the fourth part of the area before reaching the village lol.

Is that the area that has 2 parts that kinda look literally the same layout wise on the mini map? I swear I got stuff mixed up there and got a bit annoyed.

aravuus

Is that the area that has 2 parts that kinda look literally the same layout wise on the mini map? I swear I got stuff mixed up there and got a bit annoyed.

I'm not home so I can't check, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. I just ran through it as fast as possible so I didn't really pay attention to the map.

Oh and I gotta mention, I know I come across as very negative about the game in my posts, but for the most part I do agree with the best Tales since Vesperia opinion. The godawful equipment system is probably the game's biggest pitfall for me, cause it directly affects my enjoyment of the combat (combat is repetitive in itself, but if character progression was fun and steady it'd make fighting interesting enough for me) and because I'm currently bored of the combat, the bad field/dungeon design is like doubly bad for me cause I just run through the areas as fast as possible.

Mistle

Yeah I'm enjoying the story & characters (which is most important to me in JRPGs) but it's a shame I'm feeling nothing from the battles/equipment/dungeons/leveling systems etc. I can put up with it for awhile as long as the story holds up I imagine. Or I might grow to like them as the game goes on. It's hard to wrap my head around it all currently.

aravuus

Yeah I'm enjoying the story & characters (which is most important to me in JRPGs) but it's a shame I'm feeling nothing from the battles/equipment/dungeons/leveling systems etc. I can put up with it for awhile as long as the story holds up I imagine. Or I might grow to like them as the game goes on. It's hard to wrap my head around it all currently.

Pretty much.

The Oppressor's Ventite is pretty insane. I'm surprised they even put that in the game.

What does it do?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I'm not home so I can't check, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. I just ran through it as fast as possible so I didn't really pay attention to the map.

Oh and I gotta mention, I know I come across as very negative about the game in my posts, but for the most part I do agree with the best Tales since Vesperia opinion. The godawful equipment system is probably the game's biggest pitfall for me, cause it directly affects my enjoyment of the combat (combat is repetitive in itself, but if character progression was fun and steady it'd make fighting interesting enough for me) and because I'm currently bored of the combat, the bad field/dungeon design is like doubly bad for me cause I just run through the areas as fast as possible.

The equipment system slow down my pace on how I wanna handle the game so I do agree. It might not be as bad as Zestiria but still ways to go. The combat I enjoy it as it is and its mostly cause I make it work in a way that makes sense for me to not be too button smashy and exploit the elements of combat when possible. The overworld needs more interaction cause the way it operates is very archaic and despite trying to spice it up with the Special Monsters, Chests and Skits at times the overworld becomes a chore to move from one point to the other. That brings me to the geoboard coming out extremely late in the game which by that part feels like its supposed to be a cheap excuse to make you backtrack to go some areas you couldnt access before and overall would have helped traverse the otherwise empty fields quicker and not get tired of exploring it so quickly.

As Ive said before they need to add interactions to it and maybe learn a thing from Star Ocean 5 in the sense of letting the whole party run along by your side and make things more seamless and adding maybe swimming sections and jumps that dont require for you to be stepping on the right spot to press the button to do it. Also remove some of the unnecesary invisible walls that sometimes slow you down in order to get to items because they want you to go down an extremely small set of stairs that with a simply step would have had the character down of the platform and grabbing the items. Overall the Overworld needs things to do.

On a random note I found the worst minigame in the game and Jesus that was awful.
The one hitting the heads to match the facial expressions

IbukiLordSA

Just got to the town after you open the big gates and sail through the channel.

Really enjoying this game, I think the continuous upgrades and drops help as well. Enjoying all the characters so far which is pretty impressive. Great fun, the game has pulled me far away from Gravity Rush 2 :)

Velvet's design is nonsensical but looks great (it's dynamic and visually interesting with lots of cool little elements, though definitely edgy to the max), and she's going to look amazing as a figure!

I've already got her on order. <3 Now, can we get a Magilou and an Eizen?

Agreed, picking her figure up too. :) Yeah.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think Eizen is my favorite character ever. Got to admire his love for tunnels.
I love how he keeps getting history wrong and Eleanor corrects him, only for him to feel ashamed about it but be too embarrassed to show it.

aravuus

I love how he keeps getting history wrong and Eleanor corrects him, only for him to feel ashamed about it but be too embarrassed to show it.

And the one time his knowledge is up-to-date, Eleanor keeps interrupting him and saying whatever he was going to say lol

It's hilarious. Skits in this are hilarious.

mugwhump

Does doing an attack later in a combo increase hitstun? I was trying to use Velvet's 2-hit water kick on a dire fiend and he kept blocking the second hit.

Impulsor

SO I just started this yesterday, the start was indeed slow, but I found it enjoyable none the less.

I am now 5 hours in. Really enjoying it. Love the cast.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
And the one time his knowledge is up-to-date, Eleanor keeps interrupting him and saying whatever he was going to say lol

It's hilarious. Skits in this are hilarious.
Skits in this are definitely a highlight of the game.

This has to be Sakuraba's worst OST ever. Even Tales of Rebirth, his previous winner of the "most bland Tales OST" award, sounded catchier than the noise in this game.

Battle Organization stuck with me despite being bland. I couldn't recall Berseria's battle theme if I tried.

Iron Manufacture - Jungle is similarly soulless to most of Berseria's tracks, but has some sense of identity with the whistle/voice sounds at 0:47. Berseria's tracks are all repeating noise like the rest of this track.

And it has no stand out exceptions like a great victory theme, either.

If I were a modder I'd release a mod for Steam that replaced the OST with old Tales tracks, haha. I say this as someone who is normally a huge Sakuraba fan. His work on Star Ocean 2, Golden Sun, Vesperia... all amazing. This? Terrible.

Imagine if Prison Island Titania had this music playing instead of guitar riffs over and over? A good OST would make this already great game amazing, IMO.

Renmyra

I found the track playing on the Class 4 island pretty good. And then there's
Zaveid's theme. :p

Honestly, I never found Sakuraba's OSTs that amazing. There's maybe 2 or 3 stand out tracks per game. Meanwhile, every single Go Shiina track was noteworthy in Zestiria.

aravuus

It has a couple of tracks I kind of like, like Magilou and Rokurou's themes but otherwise... Yeah.

I'm not gonna call the OST TERRIBLE cause it's something I'd call a soundtrack that's so awful it actively has a negative impact on my enjoyment, I have to turn the music volume down to 0, it's legit offensive, whatever.

Berseria's OST just is. It exists. It's a bunch of sounds in the background. So bland and colorless sounds, mind, that it's almost like it wasn't there. It's like my brain doesn't realize music is playing in the background most of the time.

mugwhump

So what does it mean when I get those blue hexagons and shit at the bottom of the screen?

If I were a modder I'd release a mod for Steam that replaced the OST with old Tales tracks, haha. I say this as someone who is normally a huge Sakuraba fan. His work on Star Ocean 2, Golden Sun, Vesperia... all amazing. This? Terrible.

Imagine if Prison Island Titania had this music playing instead of guitar riffs over and over? A good OST would make this already great game amazing, IMO.

I'd be so down for this, I'd actually been planning on replacing the music. Has anyone looked into it?

Ydelnae

Why does some of the voiced dialogue while you explore the fields come from the controller and some from the TV? It's completely arbitrary for me. I set the system configuration to play audio from both the controller speaker and the TV, but some lines get played in the controller and others in the TV, it's annoying.

Rainy

Banned
Why does some of the voiced dialogue while you explore the fields come from the controller and some from the TV? It's completely arbitrary for me. I set the system configuration to play audio from both the controller speaker and the TV, but some lines get played in the controller and others in the TV, it's annoying.
Yeah the voices from the controller annoyed me so I just disabled it.

OMG I just discovered all the DLC that is available right now ummmmm...

As much as I hate to support this practice, getting double XP, double grade, and all the other doublers sounds mighty tempting for only $1.49 each haha. Is that permanent, as in I will get double XP forever? Hmmmmm.

Also, carrying limit doubled, what carrying limit?

FSLink

Banned

As much as I hate to support this practice, getting double XP, double grade, and all the other doublers sounds mighty tempting for only $1.49 each haha. Is that permanent, as in I will get double XP forever? Hmmmmm.

It's permanent on that playthrough. Also those are New Game Plus benefits, you can unlock those perks on a 2nd playthrough without having to pay money.

Carrying limit is for normal items like Apple Gels. So instead of 15 max you can hold, it's 30.

Standard Tales item limit is 15, so doubling means you can hold 30 of all the consumables. I think materials and such cap at 99 though.

All the DLC items like that are permanent, and are basically just unlocking things from the Grade Shop (which lets you purchase features for New Game +, if you're unfamiliar). So you're essentially just getting to do things you'd normally have to wait on your second playthrough for.

Datschge

Aside two staff all of the map concept and modelling is outsourced. Looking at the staff roll it's managed by BN Studios Singapore with Tech Booster, Black Beard Design Studio, Imagica Digitalscape, Creek & River, Munashichi, Inei and Lemon Sky all having hands in it. The concept pictures shown as slideshow in the Digital Essentials preorder DLC look pretty good (if still generic) though, so maybe it'll look better now that the next entry won't support PS3 anymore.

Which game do you guys think has a darker story, this or Xillia 2?
I'd consider Xillia 2's story concept darker, but its execution was an inconsistent mixed bag. Berseria's story execution is astonishingly well done from start to finish, a first for Tales imo.

Okumura and Iwamoto have been doing more work recently than Fujishima and Inomata.
Okumura always has been doing plenty secondary character designs since Eternia, notably spirits, legendary beasts, oracle knights etc. It's only since Dawn that his name started being pushed more despite being an internal artist.

I think the rest are Okumura, Iwamoto, and one or two other internal artists, in the latter case I can't remember their name(s).
For Berseria Okamura and Iwamoto are all internal artists already aside the many character modellers (most outsourced).

It's permanent on that playthrough. Also those are New Game Plus benefits, you can unlock those perks on a 2nd playthrough without having to pay money.

Carrying limit is for normal items like Apple Gels. So instead of 15 max you can hold, it's 30.

Standard Tales item limit is 15, so doubling means you can hold 30 of all the consumables. I think materials and such cap at 99 though.

All the DLC items like that are permanent, and are basically just unlocking things from the Grade Shop (which lets you purchase features for New Game +, if you're unfamiliar). So you're essentially just getting to do things you'd normally have to wait on your second playthrough for.

Interesting. So tempting haha.

Got to a point in the game where I've gotten Eleanor and after talking to a friend I've switched the game from Moderate to Hard.

Man I really feel pressured to actually use every aspect of the battle system to ensure I take as little damage as possible and get those stuns, combos and BGs right instead of button mashing my way from battles.

So, general opinion

Is this game Good? in general?

And where is it located in your top 5 tales of series games?

My opinion: Yes, the game is good, better than expected

Top 5 (taking everything in consideration, not just gameplay)

1.- Tales of the Abyss
2.- Tales of Symphonia
3.- Tales of Berseria
4.- Tales of Vesperia
5.- Tales of Legendia

BUT WHOOT, VESPERIA IN 4TH!!!!?? WHY!!!?
Simply because the story is weak for me

And yes, Legendia is Good, like, really good, good enough to go back and try it

So, general opinion

Is this game Good? in general?

And where is it located in your top 5 tales of series games?

My opinion: Yes, the game is good, better than expected

Top 5 (taking everything in consideration, not just gameplay)

1.- Tales of the Abyss
2.- Tales of Symphonia
3.- Tales of Berseria
4.- Tales of Vesperia
5.- Tales of Legendia

BUT WHOOT, VESPERIA IN 4TH!!!!?? WHY!!!?
Simply because the story is weak for me

And yes, Legendia is Good, like, really good, good enough to go back and try it

My list is the same however Berseria can go up or down depending on the rest of the game.

TheFatMan

This is the first Tales game in a long time that I find myself using most of the default costumes. I dislike Laphicets the most probably, mostly because it is boring looking.

But other than some hairstyle changes from DLC I have kept everyone looking the same. Really good character design imo.

ys45

Started this yesterday, and boy oh boy, this so much better than Zestiria .
Played 5 straight hours.

The game is very different than the other Tales, this got to be the darkest and cynical jrpg I remember playing lol .

Velvet is awesome lol :) it's so refreshing to have a protagonist being like that .

She literally left a town in flames to get to her goal lol

I feel stupid asking, but how do you do Velvet's second Mystic Arte? Every time I try it's always the Lethal assault one.

You need to do 8 artes before triggering her second mystic arte. Using her claw allows you to continue your combo, then, as long as you have 4 BG, you should easily trigger it. Try using another set of artes on another button then what you started the combo with. It might help.

Hx93

47 hours in and my save data became corrupted..

I was playing normally and saving normally until this last save, I tried to overwrite and it corrupted my old data, i can't even make a new save file.

I can't quick save, either.

I checked online on this error code that appears (CE-33116-4) and most of what I gathered seems to imply that I have to boot in safe-mode(which I'm afraid to do, don't wanna lose a whole week of playtime..) or re-format the HDD.

I wonder if putting the PS4 in rest mode will do anything?

what to do? and oh, Is PS+ save upload thing activated by default when subscribing? maybe i would be able to download an old save data... really worried and not sure what to do

Top Bottom