• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Vesperia had good characters and the cel shading. The story is forgettable and the combat is nothing special.
Cell shading wasn't that good looking as people say now, I still liked Vesperia but damn the skit, the cast and the story is another dimension in berseria.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
There's one thing that's still bothering me about Velvet though, very early spoilers..

So, she's 16 when the prologue happened, right? She was still a normal, pretty sweet and naive village girl. Then Scarlet Night happened (again), she became a daemon and got locked in the dungeon for three years. That's the keywords, 3 years. Within that amount of time, she has transformed from an average teenager who knows nothing about the world (who also didn't fond of books it seems) to a very mature, knowledgeable individual. I understand her edgy characteristics due to the grudge, but where did she gather all of those knowledge about basically everything? I don't remember that there are books in the prison, and all she did there for the past 3 years were fighting other daemons for survival. It's kinda weird that every time the party members talk about something (that she shouldn't be understand), she clearly understand what they're talking about. Is it a plot hole or am I missing something?
Daemons are peoples too. She talked to some of them before eating them, and others offered up information in attempt to not be killed. She mentions it in passing near the start.

Also Kaldaien is saying that even his audio fix isn't working right now.

I need to fix the audio fix again :p

I stripped it down for the demo version of the game since it didn't have Bink video. Now I need to bring in some stuff from Zestiria to make it work here.

This is the weirdest thing with QLOC. They patch audio, and get it working so-so, then break it. They've done this twice now. This, however, appears to be the first time my audio fix can't fix their "fix" :)

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Cell shading wasn't that good looking as people say now, I still liked Vesperia but damn the skit, the cast and the story is another dimension in berseria.

The Cel-Shading was fine but the proportions of the characters were kinda off IMO.
tales-of-vesperia-group.jpeg

I like the proportions Berseria and Zestiria did for the characters and to a degree Xillia. Also I think the artstyle they want to do with the texturing for the series is interesting but they were held back by budget and the engine they had to keep recycling from 2006.

Bladenic

The Cel-Shading was fine but the proportions of the characters were kinda off IMO.
tales-of-vesperia-group.jpeg

I like the proportions Berseria and Zestiria did for the characters and to a degree Xillia. Also I think the artstyle they want to do with the texturing for the series is interesting but they were held back by budget and the engine they had to keep recycling from 2006.

Ugh gimme that Vesperia remaster Namco :'(

aravuus

I'm really interested in seeing what the next Tales game looks like, when it won't be held back by PS3 any more.

So has it been confirmed they have a completely new engine for it? Kinda recall reading something like that

Wonder what's a reasonable expectation for western release. Late 2019, early 2020?

Rpgmonkey

Legendia and Tempest are probably the most need of a remake. Wouldn't mind a remake of Eternia either despite the port being not too long ago.

I was so disappointed that they broke their "tradition" of making one internally-developed remake per generation and never remade Eternia for the PS3. I'm sure a big part of why it never happened is that recreating the scope of PS1-era RPGs to somewhere within the vicinity of modern console RPG expectations has just gotten too expensive -- even if they remade it in the style of Vesperia to cut costs, Eternia has even more unique locations than Vesperia did and a good number of them were also bigger and more elaborately-designed -- but it still sucks. :/

So has it been confirmed they have a completely new engine for it? Kinda recall reading something like that

Wonder what's a reasonable expectation for western release. Late 2019, early 2020?

They haven't said anything about an engine (yet), only that they were moving past the PS3.

Personally I think they're going to use Unreal Engine 4 since it's a faster way to jump into modern tools/features, has good multiplatform support, and there's other internal staff at Namco who've been using it that can assist the Tales team, but we'll see.

kewlmyc

Also Kaldaien is saying that even his audio fix isn't working right now.

You're most likely either using USB headphones that do 7.1 audio or running a 7.1 audio setup. That's the main issue. Find some way of lowering it to either 5.1 or 2 channel audio and it fixes the issue. For instance I have Sennheiser 3D G4ME1 headphones that come with an option for 2ch, 4ch, 5.1ch, and 7.1ch. 7.1ch should be the only mode where this audio problem happens.

Regards to the Best of Tales list, I really can't get into Symphonia due to the combat. I might need to try it again. Perhaps I needed to play the game when it came out to appreciate it. I also was liking Abyss, but there's too much backtracking. Howver, I actually like the Party so far in the game( I was half way done I think before stopping).

I played and beat(besides Symphonia collection) all of the Tales of games from the PS3/360 era and Zesteria and Beseria. With that being said, this one is nearly at the top of my list. This had potential to be one of my favorite JRPG with arguably the best Tales cast, but fields/dungeons design are still not good and similar to Xillia, music is the worse I heard from a Tales games and is a very noticeable decline from Zesteria, combat was too button mashing compared to past Tales games(still fun though) and game just needs a higher budget.

I've put in about 4 hours so far and I'm really enjoying it, but it's kind of annoying how learning the skills from weapons is tied to grade, considering how long it takes to build up. I feel like by the time I master this one skill and am able to get to the other two weapons with new master skills I have now, I'll have found another 5 or more new ones.

Playing with this outfit on after doing all three missions from the tavern was too much.

Just seeing a stump hold that letter and there being a dramatic reaction/cue... in this outfit. Christ. And then the nightmare.

ahahahahaha. I love it!

Yo this card game is interesting.
Got a pair of glasses from it. The AI doesn't seem super smart.
It also "spoils" the traitor from a few of the Tales games. :p

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I've put in about 4 hours so far and I'm really enjoying it, but it's kind of annoying how learning the skills from weapons is tied to grade, considering how long it takes to build up. I feel like by the time I master this one skill and am able to get to the other two weapons with new master skills I have now, I'll have found another 5 or more new ones.

The loot/weapon 'upgrade' system and the giant empty spaces with the same 3-4 enemies in a giant empty zone (especially before you start getting the glacites with speed increases) are by far the worst parts of this game, IMO.

I get that the point of the weapons is to upgrade them if you want via enhancement, or swap to a new one if you don't care about the mastery bonus, but on some level, even the 3rd-4th tiers of items start take super long long unless you sit down and start grinding or Dire Enemy hunting.

Either that, or just wait for NG+ with the Grade shop, but that's not really a solution either.

Alucrid

Banned
the upgrade system in this game is kinda fucked. when you're using an item you'll never have enough components to upgrade it all that high and there's little reason to when in the next area you'll find another one to use. so it's a lack of materials in addition to the way the skill system works which makes constantly swapping them for master skills that make upgrades meaningless throughout the game. then at the end game it's just a total pain to farm items to upgrade the high end gear. even for one character, let alone 6.

and to be honest there really seems to be no need to do it anyways.

aravuus

I like and don't like how grade doubles as your skill exp.

On one hand, even the easiest basic enemies give decent grade if you know what you're doing, or at least know how to boost the grade.

On the other hand, the grade you get doesn't really seem to increase throughout the game. You'll be getting around a couple of grade in most fights on higher difficulties, probably, and while this is fine in the beginning when the amount of grade it takes to master a piece of equipment is in the double digits, it gets ridiculous when you're expected to get 900+ grade just to learn a "+5% more efficient against beasts" skill later on or something.

I just feel like they didn't really think things through with the skill system. The skills are so utterly worthless 99% of the time, ESPECIALLY when you consider just how much you have to fight around to master them that I just have to wonder if you're expected to not really master any of them. Why can I master them at all, then? Why not give gear some unique skills that actually matter?

e: I know I complain about the skill system a lot but it's just so baffling and stupid and weird and boring and I hate it lol

I don't bother to mastering my gears. I usually upgrade the one I'm using to +3 and use it for a while.

After I got a better base gear, I'll wait until I can upgrade it at least to +2 before I swap to it.

Daemons are peoples too. She talked to some of them before eating them, and others offered up information in attempt to not be killed. She mentions it in passing near the start.

I see. I guess I somehow missed that bit of information. But it's still kinda strange, unless if she can actually obtain her preys' knowledge as she devours them.

Makikou

Can someone open how do you consistently get more combo/SG(?) meter in battles.

Feels like I need to hang on the 3/5 stage for a lot of the fight until I get a lucky perfect dodge/parry or a stun.
The dodging window in this game is pretty damn small.

Maybe i'm just doing something wrong/not understanding stuff so please, advice GAF.

Feels like I need to hang on the 3/5 stage for a lot of the fight until I get a lucky perfect dodge/parry or a stun.

Maybe i'm just doing something wrong/not understanding stuff so please, advice GAF.

Quickstep enemy attacks.

Guard for Break Charge then do something like Water Snake's Wake > Rising Falcon which stun easy and move you behind the enemy at the same time. Repeat if necessary.

Doing a combo > Break Soul > combo > Break Soul > etc on groups of enemies is also a good way to stun.

Remember that your chance to stun increases the less souls you have. So if you have less than 3 focus on using a couple good stun moves to fish for one and get SG back.

Water Snake's Wake followed up by Rising Falcon is a good 2 arte combo that gets easy stuns.

Makikou

Quickstep enemy attacks.

Guard for Break Charge then do something like Water Snake's Wake > Rising Falcon which stun easy and move you behind the enemy at the same time. Repeat if necessary.

Doing a combo > Break Soul > combo > Break Soul > etc on groups of enemies is also a good way to stun.

Remember that your chance to stun increases the less souls you have. So if you have less than 3 focus on using a couple good stun moves to fish for one and get SG back.

Water Snake's Wake followed up by Rising Falcon is a good 2 arte combo that gets easy stuns.

I've been doing some quickstepping but the timing is very difficult imo. I had a dangerous encounter yesterday,a Baron Bat. It had this special stun attack and the game just felt like it gave me no clue when it was about to do it.

Whats a break charge again?

twisteh

Hi guys,

I wasn't going to pick this up, but the story looks intriguing and the reviews have been mostly positive. As a JRPG fan who got burned out by Zestiria is this a good place to jump back in or should I wait until the next game?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Whats a break charge again?

Break charge is from a Glacite which, if you hold guard for two seconds, gives you an auto guard-break ability on your first combo. You get several different variants of the charge which affect you differently the longer you hold the block button. The break charge variant doesn't come for a while, but IIRC I think you get the first variant from beating the Baron bat, or soon therafter.

First variant is the Snipe Charge (blue glow), hold L1 for a second and this doubles the chance of the effects of your first attack activating (if the move has a status effect associated), such as burn, fatigue, slow, paralyze etc...

Second glow (green) is the Soul Charge - hold L1 for 1.5 seconds and you'll recover one Soul from your active pool (doesn't actually 'give' you another soul, just refills the meter faster).

Third glow (red) is Break Charge - hold L1 for 2 seconds and you'll be able to break the enemy's guard and your chance of stunning the enemy will increase. Stunning an enemy grants you an 'extra' soul.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Break charge is from a Glacite which, if you hold guard for two seconds, gives you an auto guard-break ability on your first combo. You get several different variants of the charge which affect you differently the longer you hold the block button. The break charge variant doesn't come for a while, but IIRC I think you get the first variant from beating the Baron bat, or soon therafter.

First variant is the Snipe Charge (blue glow), hold L1 for a second and this doubles the chance of the effects of your first attack activating (if the move has a status effect associated), such as burn, fatigue, slow, paralyze etc...

Second glow (green) is the Soul Charge - hold L1 for 1.5 seconds and you'll recover one Soul from your active pool (doesn't actually 'give' you another soul, just refills the meter faster).

Third glow (red) is Break Charge - hold L1 for 2 seconds and you'll be able to break the enemy's guard and your chance of stunning the enemy will increase. Stunning an enemy grants you an 'extra' soul.
30 hours in and I never used any of these.

Woops.

Makikou

Thanks for explaining these!! Didnt know what the blue glow was since I got that first Snipe Charge.

I noticed this in Zestiria but there really seems to be a reduced emphasis on using items in battle in these recent games. Just like in Zestiria there really only seem to be Apple Gels and Life Bottles so far, not expecting to find too many other kinds later either.

selo

Hi guys,

I wasn't going to pick this up, but the story looks intriguing and the reviews have been mostly positive. As a JRPG fan who got burned out by Zestiria is this a good place to jump back in or should I wait until the next game?

I liked zestiria, but in short bursts, i think i finished it in 2 and a half months. Zestiria kinda bored me if I played for more than an hour, this doesn't happen in berseria.

In zestiria, I would usually read the text quickly and press A because it wasnt very interesting, I would trigger the skits and do something else while they played (for completion I suppose).

Berseria isn't perfect, but what it does have is fresh and interesting story and characters, which is what drives me to continue playing, my sessions are at least 2 hours. The story so far has been great, the skits range from funny to very interesting.

Honestly, so far, I think this is shaping up to be a better story than vesperia (best tales game IMO), so if you're a tales fan, even if zestiria burned you out, I'd definitely recommend this game. Loving it so far.

aravuus

The Graces shop/crafting/upgrade systems are still GOAT for me. All fed into each other so well.

It was just fantastic, that game had probably the most addicting systems I've seen in a JRPG.

Hell, I might replay it after I'm done with Berseria. Never did the future arc, after all.

rickyson1

So whats the general word on steam version?

fine other than a couple really bizarre bugs with bizarre workarounds

some bug making ai team members attack less frequently than they should that having controllers for all of them and then putting them on auto fixes

also some less common bug that I personally have where when I load the game up it runs at like 10 frames per second but if I either put steam in offline mode or kill the steam process and restart it right before loading the game it works fine

DKL

Do you have character switching yet?

A character gets 3 diamonds whenever you switch into them.

For early game where you don't have this tool, if the timing of the dodges seems too difficult, you're actually better off just blocking and then counter attacking once an enemy goes through its combo and you'll eventually get a third diamond if you mash away long enough with a move that has a stun property. When counter attacking, continue to hold L1 so you can block after you attack on what I assume is the earliest possible frame.

It looks mad dull when all you're doing is a 1-2 combo and blocking until you get a third diamond, but it works reliably and is low risk during longer fights where Velvet doesn't always get the stun on the boss or whatever.

If you're encountering a boss that has a stupid AOE that you can't block, just pick Magilou and map that meteor drop move to your X button like 4 times and then mash R2 even when they don't cast magic so you can charge Mystic Arts quickly.

some bug making ai team members attack less frequently than they should that having controllers for all of them and then putting them on auto fixes

This is kind of a weird thing to me because I'm at a point where I actually prefer it if the AI did absolutely nothing given that Velvet + assist is so good that you can pretty much mystic arts like several times during a single regular encounter if you're wanting for damage.

The AI randomly dying off screen gets annoying because it lowers my grade in an otherwise perfect run lol

(I guess what I'm suppose to do to prevent them from getting bodied is to switch to them and use switch blast to have them recover in the background, but I'm too lazy to do that)

vkrili

I like and don't like how grade doubles as your skill exp.

On one hand, even the easiest basic enemies give decent grade if you know what you're doing, or at least know how to boost the grade.

On the other hand, the grade you get doesn't really seem to increase throughout the game. You'll be getting around a couple of grade in most fights on higher difficulties, probably,

Bump it up to Hard, get into Dangerous fights (have two or more world-map enemies near each other when entering battle), and sooner or later you'll get a Dire foe encounter. Beat this (and get some Mystic Arte kills) and you'll get Grade in the 100s. Also, make sure to put the Master/Mistress of Arms title on everyone.

KainXVIII

Devs even mentioned Kaldaien ;)
[Notice] January 31st patch: known issues
On January 31st, a new patch has been deployed. This was an emergency patch to fix a security issue in the game.

Sadly, this patch doesn't fix the AI bug yet, and it reintroduced the 7.1 sound issue. This is something that was acknowledged and planned as such to allow a quick fix of the security issues.

In the meantime, feel free to try out this community fix by Kaldaien while we work on an official patch. (Try this unofficial patch at your own risk, we cannot be held responsible for any issues it may cause).

The team is working to get the sound fixed again ASAP and the AI bug as well.

Vjoy also seems to be linked with crashes, this is being investigated.

Thank you for your comprehension.

TheFatMan

Are you just sitting there grinding cooking or what? I'm like 25 hours into the game, have auto cooking w/ Velvet on 90% of the time and have only gotten Velvet to rank 5 cooking.

I'm not grinding it at all. I do fight almost every enemy I see in the field, if that counts as grinding, but I don't double back to get more fights or anything. I'm also playing on Moderate if that matters, not sure.

Honestly I bought 99 of the basic recipe ingredients, and then I flip it over to the recipes I learned from the Expedition ship. If I run out of everything else I go back to the easy recipe. Some of the 2 star recipes I've found give like 1/6th a level every time I cook them.....I gained an entire cooking level just inside in the Fens earlier....it's really not that hard I'm confused why everyone is struggling with it.

kromeo

Have they given any indication when DLC costumes are coming? Don't want to start until they're all out..

More importantantly, the trinity:

1.Abyss
2.Symphonia
3.Vesperia

And the 3 turds:

Dawn of the new world
Graces F
Eternia

I hate Eternia so much

Makikou

Do you have character switching yet?

A character gets 3 diamonds whenever you switch into them.

I didn't even know about this.. GAME CHANGER.
I'm far enough that I have Rokurou in my party and can play as him.
I think the character switch happens from LB+RB/L1/R1? Or what button combo is it..

DKL

I didn't even know about this.. GAME CHANGER.
I'm far enough that I have Rokurou in my party and can play as him.
I think the character switch happens from LB+RB/L1/R1? Or what button combo is it..

You want the one where you put in a character who wasn't there at the beginning of the battle, which I assume is also d-pad up or down on PS4.

But yeah, the assist function is nice because someone comes in and has 3 diamonds, so you can at least combo better once they get in.

You can also come in swinging with Velvet by holding R2 as you push the d-pad so that you enter into the battle in super hand mode where you don't get hit stun.

And another cool thing you can do with it is that if your character is in stun lock, you can pull them out safely as long as you have the mystic arts meter for it.

The character switching stuff is pretty cool since it seems like it has a lot of uses that allow you to be self sufficient. I was put off by it at first given that it's tied to the same resource as Mystic Arts, but I learned that spamming R2 actually builds a lot of it back (at least based on how my current team is).

EDIT:

Oh, but if you don't have 5 people, just get use to blocking and doing the 1-2 combo thing... a lot of attacks can't actually break your guard, so you're pretty safe as long as you're holding L1 down.

twisteh

I liked zestiria, but in short bursts, i think i finished it in 2 and a half months. Zestiria kinda bored me if I played for more than an hour, this doesn't happen in berseria.

In zestiria, I would usually read the text quickly and press A because it wasnt very interesting, I would trigger the skits and do something else while they played (for completion I suppose).

Berseria isn't perfect, but what it does have is fresh and interesting story and characters, which is what drives me to continue playing, my sessions are at least 2 hours. The story so far has been great, the skits range from funny to very interesting.

Honestly, so far, I think this is shaping up to be a better story than vesperia (best tales game IMO), so if you're a tales fan, even if zestiria burned you out, I'd definitely recommend this game. Loving it so far.

Thanks for the reply, a good story is exactly what I'm after,. That's what my issue with Zestiria was, along with the boring combat system which seems more fluid this timne. Trying to decide between picking this or RE7 up tomorrow. Leaning towards this.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Thanks for the reply, a good story is exactly what I'm after,. That's what my issue with Zestiria was, along with the boring combat system which seems more fluid this timne. Trying to decide between picking this or RE7 up tomorrow. Leaning towards this.

Yea, I wrapped up Zestiria before jumping into Berseria myself and found myself literally mashing through dialogue as well given how disinterested I was in the story. Even after completing the game, there were never any engaging revelations, twists, or character arcs to manipulate your emotions or empathize with any real struggles the party faces. Noble to a fault as the good-natured team consistently espouses how friendship and being true to your 'dreams' is the critical ingredient to solving every problem faced in this game. It was actually ridiculous how even mashing through major cutscenes, you are guaranteed to see the words "follow your dreams", "friendship", and "never give-up" like every other sentence. It's the go-to answer for everything, until dialogue ends and you still beat the shit out of the bad guys anyway.

It's a very static party and I never felt any growth was achieved throughout this adventure, everyone is practically at the same default state they were in at the onset of this world-saving quest. No real lessons learned despite some major changes to the party makeup here and there. It's all very dull.

Combat, skill/equipment progression, and world design also weren't really all that great either. Berseria improves in almost all of these areas(though it has its own issues too).

Zestiria's cooking system is much better though, probably the best use of cooking in a Tales game actually. You choose a meal when staying at an inn and get a unique party buff that lasts X# of battles. No managing recipes or ingredients or slogging through progress bars of pointless meals just to level up cooking for some gated reward, it also made staying at inns a more meaningful decision beyond recovery. Berseria kind of messed that up, but its a minor nitpick in what is otherwise a massive improvement in other areas.

Derkon

Does the free item pack DLC have anything worthwhile in it? I am having trouble getting the DLC to download to my PS4(tried deleting the game and reinstalling and also using the actual website to try and download it but no go).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Does the free item pack DLC have anything worthwhile in it? I am having trouble getting the DLC to download to my PS4(tried deleting the game and reinstalling and also using the actual website to try and download it but no go).

Not really, just a few healing and recovery items like apple gels and lifebottles as a free gift. Nothing unique or really that useful given how easy the game is at the outset.

Are Tales of Destiny/Eternia worth shelling out the cash for? Those are the only two NA ones I don't have.

I loved them back in the late 90's, but unsure how well they would hold up today. Only really necessary if you have a real academic curiosity to explore the franchise roots, but expect them to feel quite dated.

Loke13

There's one thing that's still bothering me about Velvet though, very early spoilers..

So, she's 16 when the prologue happened, right? She was still a normal, pretty sweet and naive village girl. Then Scarlet Night happened (again), she became a daemon and got locked in the dungeon for three years. That's the keywords, 3 years. Within that amount of time, she has transformed from an average teenager who knows nothing about the world (who also didn't fond of books it seems) to a very mature, knowledgeable individual. I understand her edgy characteristics due to the grudge, but where did she gather all of those knowledge about basically everything? I don't remember that there are books in the prison, and all she did there for the past 3 years were fighting other daemons for survival. It's kinda weird that every time the party members talk about something (that she shouldn't be understand), she clearly understand what they're talking about. Is it a plot hole or am I missing something?
not at all. I had the same sentiments you had. She really shouldn't know as much as she knows considering her solitude.

Alucrid

Banned
i like berseria's better since you can set it and forget it as long as you have enough ingredients.

also holy crap have these games become stingy with the in-game costumes since vesperia.

a recolor, a towel, the same server outfit. no jacket and noomins. thanks...

oh and no recolor for your no jackets

not at all. I had the same sentiments you had. She really shouldn't know as much as she knows considering her solitude.

She made a comment in one of the scenes about how she got a lot of information from the demons they threw down into her pit for her to feed on.

Top Bottom