• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Bladenic

i like berseria's better since you can set it and forget it as long as you have enough ingredients.

also holy crap have these games become stingy with the in-game costumes since vesperia.

a recolor, a towel, the same server outfit. no jacket and noomins. thanks...

oh and no recolor for your no jackets

Yeah Berseria actually has quite a few in-game costumes... except stuff like swimwear and server outfits are the exact same for everyone instead of unique, and there's a bunch of Normin colors lmao instead of like one per character. Quality over quantity IMO. Gotta sell the DLC though.

about 19 hours in and I'm hoping Rokurou's vengence and becoming a daemon isn't as shallow as
getting beaten by his brother.
....that will be terribly weak if true

benzopil

Maybe that's a stupid comparison and I'm an idiot, but FFXV looks like some students' debut project compared to this. I don't play that many jrpgs and both of these games are jrpgs, that's why I'm saying this.

Character development, plot, cutscenes, fights... Yeah, graphics are incomparable but if my friends ask me if they should buy XV I recommend them this.

And now I can't understand why some people are saying that XV is the best jrpg they played in years.

Zafir

Maybe that's a stupid comparison and I'm an idiot, but FFXV looks like some students' debut project compared to this. I don't play that many jrpgs and both of these games are jrpgs, that's why I'm saying this.

Character development, plot, cutscenes, fights... Yeah, graphics are incomparable but if my friends ask me if they should buy XV I recommend them this.

I do think it's a bit silly to compare them, they're both JRPGs sure, but XV was trying very hard to take influence from WRPGs. So much so that in the end, it probably felt closer to one in terms of its gameplay design.

The standout difference between the two for me is, Bamco had an achievable goal in mind when developing Berseria and actually delivered on it, with maybe a few faults here and there, but still solid. Square Enix wanted to promise the moon with how big of a world, story, and how much content they wanted to offer. Due to a troubled development, they partially delivered on it, but it inevitably felt rushed and wasn't polished.

Datschge

Are Tales of Destiny/Eternia worth shelling out the cash for? Those are the only two NA ones I don't have.
Eternia is essentially the first modern Tales game (as well as the last 2D Tales game released in the West even though gameplay wise that line kept leading the innovations until the closure of Tales Studio). It's also led by the staff that'd later form "Team Symphonia" with a couple battle and growth systems by staff that'd go on with "Team Destiny" games.

Destiny PS1 is pure retro that's pretty disconnected from the rest of the series now, but it's charming on its own.

Dinda

So i'm playing on PC, but i just looked at the Playstaion Blog and the EU Store update is already live....and no sign of new DLC...

Damn Namco i want to buy that stuff while i'm still actually playing the game!

Though I know I heard it is terrible I need to play Zestiria first before this one which looks way better. Now I know what some of you may say there is no need to play Zestiria etc, but I just need to play Tales games in release order that is all.

Hero

I like it better in more ways than not.

Better gameplay, better cast, not as good story so far (~50% through and it's hard to judge what I thought of Vesperia's story part way through so long ago ), darker story.

To add in a different perspective. I think it's a step down in most areas, but it's still pretty fun despite flaws (notably area design, music, and balancing). The story is fun, but those issues are holding down an otherwise decent experience.

Story: Berseria
Cast: Very close but slight edge to Vesperia. However Bers has the best cast since Vesperia IMO
Music: Vesperia easily
Battle system: Berseria but Vesperia provided more of a challenge
Ancillary systems: Vesperia
World: Close again but maybe slight edge to Berseria because it has a snow town and more interesting lore
Graphics/art: Vesperia is still very pretty but Berseria looks nice enough and battles are a spectacle. Tie, except for anime scenes where Berseria wins easily.
Mystic Artes: Berseria due to more quantity and great quality. Not sure any one tops Savage Wolf Fury though.

Thanks for the input! Basically I just wanted to know if the game was around the same level of Vesperia (or even Symphonia). Those are the only Tales games I've been interested in. Every one since then hasn't really drawn me in. I don't care too much about story if it's at least a little interesting.

Also, Judith. <3

SephLuis

This is the first Tales of that I am playing on hard and that is making combat very, very satisfying. But, does it usually take that much to level up ? I guess I am on lvl 15 with more than 10 hours already.

I am getting 100-200 of exp per battle and some are quite long.

Bladenic

This is the first Tales of that I am playing on hard and that is making combat very, very satisfying. But, does it usually take that much to level up ? I guess I am on lvl 15 with more than 10 hours already.

Yeah it's normal but if you do linked battles it'll give much more experience than if you fought the battles separately.

Edit: yeah and lower exp on higher difficulties too.

Saphirax

The higher the difficulty you're playing on the less exp you recieve.

Closing in on 50 hours and got to
Malik Beach (spelling?), the island to find Grimorih
<--a name of an area, not spoilerish, but for those that beat it let me know

How far am I? How much left? I don't want it to end! Game is so good.

Playing on Intense.

SephLuis

Yeah it's normal but if you do linked battles it'll give much more experience than if you fought the battles separately.

I have been doing that too. Managed to tank the framerate on PS4 while trying to link 8-9 enemies in a battle =D

The higher the difficulty you're playing on the less exp you recieve.

Thanks. Will continue on hard though, so far it's very fun. Just the red monsters are giving me considerable trouble.

Zedark

Yeah, that's pretty typical. I am level 19 with 15 hours in right now. Other Tales games have a comparable slow levelling system.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Finished the game and definitely one of the top 3 games in the series.
The credits and the scene after the credits its more depressing than the ending

Dinda

New DLC is out on Steam!

The Swimwear DLC and a new Attachement set that has cool looking short hair and berseria character dolls!

Closing in on 50 hours and got to
Malik Beach (spelling?), the island to find Grimorih
<--a name of an area, not spoilerish, but for those that beat it let me know

How far am I? How much left? I don't want it to end! Game is so good.

Playing on Intense.
How are you at 50 hours and only that far? I did all the sidequests I could find (and I actively searched for them fairly constantly) and it took me around 60 hours to beat the game, but you aren't even close

Bladenic

Finished the game and definitely one of the top 3 games in the series.
The credits and the scene after the credits its more depressing than the ending

Damn how did you beat the game before me? Lmao I'm still before the final dungeon. I am a slow player usually though.

Vazra

Damn how did you beat the game before me? Lmao I'm still before the final dungeon. I am a slow player usually though.

I would clock around 8-10ish hour daily on the game. I didnt take it fast cause I somehow got addicted to the basic card minigame

If the only Tales game I've played was Xillia will I be able to get a handle on this one pretty quickly? And between Berseria and Zestiria which has the better/deeper/funner combat?

Xillia didn't exactly blow my socks off but I liked the combat enough to sustain a 60 hour play-through and the screenshots are making we want to check this one out.

Vazra

If the only Tales game I've played was Xillia will I be able to get a handle on this one pretty quickly? And between Berseria and Zestiria which has the better/deeper/funner combat?

Xillia didn't exactly blow my socks off but I liked the combat enough to sustain a 60 hour play-through and the screenshots are making we want to check this one out.

Zestiria has too many flaws and for combat Berseria destroys it easily.

Just out of curiosity, if Symphonia is my favorite, will I like Berseria?

I already purchased the game, so no turning back. Also, I enjoyed Zesteria (and just about every Tales game) if that helps.

Giolon

Just out of curiosity, if Symphonia is my favorite, will I like Berseria?

I already purchased the game, so no turning back. Also, I enjoyed Zesteria (and just about every Tales game) if that helps.

If you like Tales games, you'll almost certainly like this one. The connections to Zestiria may even help you enjoy this one more.

However, if edginess is something that bothers you, hooooooooo boy you're in for a ride with Velvet.

Personally, I think she's pretty awesome.

OMG

Twelve hours in, and only just now I had that eureka moment about
Eizen

He's Edna's brother, the dragon in Zestiria! How the hell did I completely forget about that :p

Loving this game.

ryushe

So, I've been playing fine fore the past few days, but now when I try to load the game up, it gets to the Bamco screen and then crashes. Nothing has changed between now and when I last played, so I'm lost as to what it could be. I have TBfix installed but that's it. Any ideas?

So, I've been playing fine fore the past few days, but now when I try to load the game up, it gets to the Bamco screen and then crashes. Nothing has changed between now and when I last played, so I'm lost as to what it could be. I have TBfix installed but that's it. Any ideas?
Are you using vjoy? If so you need to turn it off when launching and then renable it once in game. The latest patch has caused some new issues.

ryushe

Are you using vjoy? If so you need to turn it off when launching and then renable it once in game. The latest patch has caused some new issues.
I am... well, i have it installed but couldn't figure it out, so i didn't end up using it and just hooked up 3 controllers instead.

Edit: That was it! Thanks.

kennyamr

I haven't finished it yet but man! this one exceeded all of my expectations by a mile.

I was very disappointed with the previous game and I was sincerely expecting something similar here and well, I was so, so wrong.

It's blowing me away every day I play and I can't wait to finish it. I thought FFXV was good last year but playing this now, makes me realize how this one is vastly better when compared.

Kudos to the team. Great story, great characters, great setting, great music, great pacing, great writing, great everything.

My favorite yet.

Loke13

So I'm about 18 hours in and
From the way Zaveid was acting were the cast of Zestria really such obnoxious do-gooders they had a no-kill rule even against hostile opponents? Finding out that Edna is Eizen's sister was pretty cool though.

Bladenic

From the way Zaveid was acting were the cast of Zestria really such obnoxious do-gooders they had a no-kill rule even against hostile opponents? Finding out that Edna is Eizen's sister was pretty cool though.

Actually
Zaveid had no issues killing hellions in Zestiria and talked shit about Sorey being a do-gooder. So I'm guessing by Zestiria he was a lot more jaded and pragmatic.

Did you not play Zestiria? There was a huge quest with Edna and her brother o.0

Shouta

How does everyone have their artes set up? I have each face button combo as a particular element, which is proving to be moderately successful so far.

When I played I did element then planned out my trees to cover if the enemy was hit in a peculiar way or if I needed to move them somewhere. It was kind of like a branching combo tree.

Lnds500

I just got back to
the prison and took control of it, while Eleanor confessed she was working for the Abbey

How far am I?

Top Bottom