• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Ydelnae

I didn't like the opening that much and for me the game didn't start impressing me until Eizen joins and they get the ship. I would recommend to keep playing until you hit Loegres and if the game isn't doing anything for you by then, then drop it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You find out more about the Rangetsu family in a sidequest that helps explain the craziness behind his actions.
What do you learn?

I found the skit where he said four of his brothers died as bodyguards pretty interesting.

Rainy

Banned
Late game question.
So I'm going through the Baird Marsh to find Oscar and the last therion. I'm sure I'm close to the end of the game but when do the side quests become available? And is it really obvious when that happens or do I have to go searching for all of them?

Late game question.
So I'm going through the Baird Marsh to find Oscar and the last therion. I'm sure I'm close to the end of the game but when do the side quests become available? And is it really obvious when that happens or do I have to go searching for all of them?

I don't remember any side quests really being miss able, they'll just start popping up with ! on the maps when you can start them in towns. You also aren't that close to the end really, got quite a bit to go.

So stay are people's a artes set up on velvet and along tactics for the team. Playing on hard and on the way to the near end location
volcano
. However sometimes my velvet takes off double digits. Sometimes its a couple of 100. Not having any problems with figures however they can take a while. Is this just because I'm playing on hard?

jrcbandit

Late game question.

It's really obvious when you can do sidequests. The point you are at, a little further in something happens that restricts how you can interact with the world. Once you clear that up, then you can do the sidequests.
Basically, you have to stop Innominant's domain that makes everyone complacent in the world. Once you get rid of the domain/mind control at the volcano, the side quests all open up.

I'm at the part doing all the side quests, but no more are listed - however, the achievement listings suggests there are more to do (achievements can be useful at times lol). I guess some are convoluted to initiate?

Started this the other night and man what an improvement over Zisteria. Not that I am giving Namco high praise since the bar was set so low by the last game.

Can someone tell me why the tales games have such god awful graphics? Can't they shell out some cash for Unity or Unreal engine?

Cornbread78

Started this the other night and man what an improvement over Zisteria. Not that I am giving Namco high praise since the bar was set so low by the last game.

Can someone tell me why the tales games have such god awful graphics? Can't they shell out some cash for Unity or Unreal engine?

The base game was built on PS3 still. This is the last cross-platform Tales game, so hopefully, the next game will look much better graphically.

Astrael

I'm at the part doing all the side quests, but no more are listed - however, the achievement listings suggests there are more to do (achievements can be useful at times lol). I guess some are convoluted to initiate?

Yeah, I remember having to run back and forth a lot, and usually only one or two opened up after I completed others. If you've reached the end of your open sidequest list then you'll probably just have to revisit every dock/town again if you're missing some. You'll know you're done with most of them when you get a trophy for each character and a recolor outfit for each character. One of the quest lines needs Velvet's cooking skill leveled to complete it, which was by far the most obscure. Not all the sidequests are character-specific though, and there's also one non-character sidequest with a trophy that can't be finished until postgame, but it should be obvious which one that is if you've found it.

Most of the characters (Magilou, Laphicet, Eizen, for sure) have sidequests you can get a head start on before reaching the end of the game, I basically just took note of whenever the Inopia bottles would let me warp to a lot of different towns at a time (rather than 1 or 2) and usually something opened up, or whenever the map showed the next part of a sidequest was available. I think you may have to stay at a specific inn once or twice? Probably why it took me about 100 hours to finish the game lol.

What do you learn?

I found the skit where he said four of his brothers died as bodyguards pretty interesting.

"Shigure" is a title bestowed to the head of the Rangetsu clan, and you can only achieve it by killing the sitting Shigure. So Rokurou was basically conditioned his whole life to go after his brother.

Cornbread78

Am I the only one that let's the entire OP play through each time before I start playing the game?

It's really good, so I can't help but watch it every time. I almost want to say it's my favorite Tales opening, but I actually can't decide between it, Vesperia's, and Xillia 2's.

So I just finished and one thing I liked about the ending (Berseria and Zestiria spoilers)

Person who didn't play Zestiria: oh so Laphicet is now an Empyrean, what a hopeful but somewhat tragic ending, oh his name is-

Person who did play Zestiria: Please don't be Maotelus please don't be Mao- FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

SephLuis

I need to go back and actually finish Symphonia at some point. Last I remember, I was in the
Lightning tower
How much longer to finish?

It's been more than half a decade since I last finished Symphonia, but Lightning Tower was in the middle of the game IIRC.

Symphonia is one long ass Tales of game. First time can take you anywhere from 60 to 80 hours.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What do you learn?

"Shigure" is a title bestowed to the head of the Rangetsu clan, and you can only achieve it by killing the sitting Shigure. So Rokurou was basically conditioned his whole life to go after his brother.

Also

Shigure and Rokurou's mother had also killed people to earn the title before the brother took it, you fight and kill the mother in a demonic form, basically it's just a brief history of their family/clan, they're like the WWF Hardcore title, anyone can challenge anyone to a fight to earn the title. The mother says she always knew Rokurou would have the potential to be the best fighter etc etc before dying.

Vamphuntr

It's a bit weird the backstory of the main characters are told in skits or side events. I was quite shocked that I got Magilou's complete back story through a skit with Grimoirh and talking to a random npc in a town.

It's a bit weird the backstory of the main characters are told in skits or side events. I was quite shocked that I got Magilou's complete back story through a skit with Grimoirh and talking to a random npc in a town.

They're mostly told in the side quest revolving around said character or through skits that you are forced to see. I don't think that's weird, it's a pretty standard structure in RPGs.

TheFatMan

Dear god I spent like 5 or 6 hours today doing all of the side quests (I think) before what I believe is the final dungeon.

Got all of the alternate color outfits (God damn Velvet's is amazing, wish I had it the whole game). And a whole bunch of trophies...I mean like 7 or 8...which is a lot for a Tales game haha.

Looking forward to the final dungeon and hoping I can power through the final boss without lowering the difficulty. I have a history of getting inpatient and just lowering it to easy so I can see the ending after 70 hours haha.

Speaking of hours, I'm standing in the start of the final dungeon (Again, I think) and I've clocked 67 hours. Only thing I didn't do in the game is get all of the Kats Boxes.

Astrael

Got all of the alternate color outfits (God damn Velvet's is amazing, wish I had it the whole game). And a whole bunch of trophies...I mean like 7 or 8...which is a lot for a Tales game haha.

Looking forward to the final dungeon and hoping I can power through the final boss without lowering the difficulty. I have a history of getting inpatient and just lowering it to easy so I can see the ending after 70 hours haha.

Speaking of hours, I'm standing in the start of the final dungeon (Again, I think) and I've clocked 67 hours. Only thing I didn't do in the game is get all of the Kats Boxes.

I'm usually not a trophy hunter but I managed to get quite a few on my first playthrough, too. It's kind of motivating me to go for the platinum (I never platinum anything) but not sure how long the level 200 grind will take... I'm still missing some Katz Boxes and I have no idea where either.

Same here. I blame it on Graces f.

I thought I was the only one that liked the opening to Graces f after reading through this entire thread haha. Glad to see that's not the case.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Also

Shigure and Rokurou's mother had also killed people to earn the title before the brother took it, you fight and kill the mother in a demonic form, basically it's just a brief history of their family/clan, they're like the WWF Hardcore title, anyone can challenge anyone to a fight to earn the title. The mother says she always knew Rokurou would have the potential to be the best fighter etc etc before dying.

Dang. I kind of guessed the Shigure = title thing when Rokurou mentioned his birth name was Ichirou. But their family history is a bit messed up. :/

gotta admit..
the ost is usually, good, but they stepped it up for this one..
magilou's theme is REALLY catchy..
honestly i could think of just a few touch here and there that would make it better (albeit a bit more repetitive in terms of sound).. and i'm usually quite strict when it comes to rpg riffs..
the story is quite solid as well, which is an improvement in the right direction..
togf had a spectacular combat, but the story//characters was.. ewwww..
with berseria my only complaint is the re-used asset, apart from that i'm really satisfied this far :)

this is actually one of the tales i'm preferring, high there with vesperia, xillia2 and abyss...

Xadjim

Banned
hi everyone.

is it worth it to break down weapons and uograde other weapons or is it a waste of time? as far as i understood, you wont get new abilities to master, just a bunch of other things, that are only active if the weapon is equipped

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
How far do you have to get for when DLC clothing finally gets obtained for use?

Edit: I think I found out how. Forgot you had to "redeem" them in your inventory.

hi everyone.

is it worth it to break down weapons and uograde other weapons or is it a waste of time? as far as i understood, you wont get new abilities to master, just a bunch of other things, that are only active if the weapon is equipped

Upgrading once or twice is usually enough to unlock the greyed-out skills. There are also abilities you get that increase your maximum BG if your equipment is upgraded a total of [x] times.

I'd say at least do your best to make sure Velvet (or whoever you're primarily controlling) is upgraded enough to get the +1 BG and has all of her stuff at at least +1 (which should unlock the first greyed-out skill.) Beyond that you get to diminishing returns- certainly keep breaking down new stuff you get that you won't use to keep upgrading if you can, but don't prioritize upgrades over moving up to newer equipment once you've mastered the skills on your current gear.

I would certainly say that one of the bigger flaws of the game is that the effort:reward in equipment management is a little off, though. There are a few things they could have done to the UI to make that work a little better (ie make the 'upgrade' list show equipped items at the top, be able to go from breaking down an item to using what you got to upgrade another one more smoothly, etc.)

TheFatMan

hi everyone.

I upgraded most of my equipment to +1 or +2 at the very least as I went through the game. Sometimes more if I knew I was going to be using the weapon for a long time. Upgrading raises the base stats as well as unlocking bonus skills so it can be worth it. Also getting the extra BG counter from the total +level on your gear is worth it.

Just be careful not to over do it as you can run out of money pretty fast if you dismantle and upgrade everything as much as you can all of the time.

Xadjim

Banned
thanks so the weapons wont evolve into much more powerful ones with different looks, or do they?

something like Ironsword -> Paladins blade with new abilities, which can be mastered.

Giolon

thanks so the weapons wont evolve into much more powerful ones with different looks, or do they?

something like Ironsword -> Paladins blade with new abilities, which can be mastered.

Nope, they just go Ironsword+1, Ironsword+2, Ironsword+3, etc. eventually all the way up to +10.

gotta admit..
the ost is usually, good, but they stepped it up for this one..
magilou's theme is REALLY catchy..
honestly i could think of just a few touch here and there that would make it better (albeit a bit more repetitive in terms of sound).. and i'm usually quite strict when it comes to rpg riffs..
the story is quite solid as well, which is an improvement in the right direction..
togf had a spectacular combat, but the story//characters was.. ewwww..
with berseria my only complaint is the re-used asset, apart from that i'm really satisfied this far :)

this is actually one of the tales i'm preferring, high there with vesperia, xillia2 and abyss...

You really think the OST is good? It's the most bland Tales OST in recent memory for mine. It's terrible they didn't bring back Shiina because Zestiria had an amazing OST.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So there is a few mods. I might use the female character lip enhancement

eWcFDiC.jpg

VhdAPCI.jpg

F5pqNZo.jpg

There's a jacketless mod that changes the jacketless outfit top to all black

and a change to this outfit to look more noble.

Top Bottom