• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Still trying to decide on whether to get the School Set and/or Maid set

The school set costs sooooo much but also comes with 3 color sets each, which I might never use.

These are the best from the school and maid set

saYUdst.jpg

FRHtwSD.jpg

f71ha6X.jpg

xchmHCS.jpg

xO43oYf.jpg

WhRHnjG.jpg

SV5yx9j.jpg

Za1hZrP.jpg

Rainy

Banned
Just beat the Lindwurm dragon, showed up as a Dire Foe after a regular battle. That shit was hard..

Anyway, story stuff:
The storyline with Medissa and Kamoana was kinda cute.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Glad to see Eleanor featured prominently in all the screens posted in this page.

She's the most OP party member for me. Literally wipes out enemies on her own.

Astrael

Finally completed this game and found the thread to talk about it! Huge fan of the Tales series, and I absolutely loved this title. Easily my favorite game since Abyss (and at least on par with it), and better than Vesperia in every way but music. The story was extremely well told and focused, all six of the main characters were fantastic and the character development never let up. I was genuinely surprised because usually I find at least one or two characters are kind of just "ok". Velvet may be one of my favorite main characters in any game (not just Tales), and I'd never consider myself a fan of "edgy" so they must have done something right.

I don't want to rant explaining why like I tend to do when I really like something, but all I can say is that NieR: Automata and Persona 5 have some really high expectations to meet now for my favorite 2017 jRPG.

demidar

Glad to see Eleanor featured prominently in all the screens posted in this page.

She's the most OP party member for me. Literally wipes out enemies on her own.

After getting some of the end-game spells, I've been wrecking (almost) everything as Magilou. I don't know if it is actually faster, but it feels faster when you cast a low level arte and shift it into higher levels.

Anyway I've gotten the hang of chaining artes, dodges, Break Souls and Mystic Artes all together so I can keep casting in enemies' faces while retaining the increased spell cast speed for performing actions in an unbroken chain.

Charge to Guard Break, run in and smack up enemies to stun them, use that air dive hidden arte to pop enemies into the air, cast Gravity Mine then alternate between Final Embrace and Explosion.

I might try and play through the game again with a single character, I love the battle system.

Ydelnae

Late game spoilers

What the fuck at those NPCs "eliminating" their pets outside of Loegres because they are of no use to a family and then those kids starving their dogs and then attempting to kill them in the plaza.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I have about half the game to go, and the only costume I'm interested in is Velvets Rutee one. Hard to justify buying a whole pack for that... But it looks so awesome.
Do the Cameo Costumes come with battle themes as well? Because the second one in the game is pretty awful.

straylize

I have about half the game to go, and the only costume I'm interested in is Velvets Rutee one. Hard to justify buying a whole pack for that... But it looks so awesome.
Do the Cameo Costumes come with battle themes as well? Because the second one in the game is pretty awful.

Yep, they do. I think they all have two, with one played less frequently. I only bought the Rutee one in the import, but it had two themes:
Bare Its Fangs and Perfidious Act
, the latter of which honestly surprised me to hear when it played, and I don't recall hearing it very much either, even though I played through about 20 hours with it.

Wagram

I have an EX Dungeon (very end) story question.

Are the seraphim responsible for Humans turning into Daemons and Malakhim into Dragons? I know they find Malevolence to be poisonous, but that's pretty fucked up.

Alucrid

Banned
I have an EX Dungeon (very end) story question.

Are the seraphim responsible for Humans turning into Daemons and Malakhim into Dragons? I know they find Malevolence to be poisonous, but that's pretty fucked up.

er seraph = malak

HeeHo

I have not been following this game too much but are there any unlockable costumes that aren't paid DLC? If so, are there a decent amount?

Ydelnae

I have not been following this game too much but are there any unlockable costumes that aren't paid DLC? If so, are there a decent amount?

The game is constantly throwing unlockable costumes at you. Some of them are the same for every member, but the selection is quite good I would say. There are
swimsuit, bath, waiter and winter costumes for everyone, recolors for their original costumes, jacketless versions and Bienfu/Normin costumes. Some characters also have exclusive costumes.

HeeHo

Yeah, best amount since Vesperia. There's a video showcasing all the non-DLC stuff available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ttmXFo97o4

The game is constantly throwing unlockable costumes at you. Some of them are the same for every member, but the selection is quite good I would say. There are
swimsuit, bath, waiter and winter costumes for everyone, recolors for their original costumes, jacketless versions and Bienfu/Normin costumes. Some characters also have exclusive costumes.

Thanks for the fast replies. I'm totally okay with this then.

Bladenic

While the fact that they do have plenty of unlockable costumes, it's lamentable that they didn't go all the way. The winter/swimsuit costumes are the exact same for everyone, and I doubt anyone asked for every color normin for every character (but it is hilarious to go into battle with a team of giant Normin and Bienfus lmao).

Taruranto

I found most of the in-game costumes super dull so far, except jackless Rokorou, but that's barely a costume. Even the waiter/waitress mini-game costumes are soooo dull.

It basically feels like an attempt to have people say "This game actually has costumes and it's not like Xillia" more than anything. All the actual costumes are DLC.

Ready for the final dungeon !

Real shame the screenshot feature is disabled.

Hey I use the same party.

Velvet was overly edgy but a decent character, Luke was an annoying baby.

Literally.

Astrael

For those that have beaten the game, what were your Grade totals at the end, and which difficulty were you on?

I had 2934 total grade at the end of the game (excluding the post-game dungeon), I played the entire story on Moderate difficulty. I didn't avoid many battles unless they were ridiculously lower level and smashed through them on the Geoboard haha.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So how do I get their swimsuit/towel outfits?

Giolon

I'm really lost with some of the fundamentals like cooking, special artes, etc. Is there a way to do tutorials again?

Nearly all of the tutorials are listed under the help menu in the party menu. I forget what it's called exactly but it's the icon 2nd from the right.

Man, im getting my ass handed from the boss in the
palamides temple
thought id spoiler tag it just in case. I have had no problems before but for some reason this one is giving me trouble. Im on lvl 27 tho but its hard to grind since I defeat the enemies easily around there.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, they do. I think they all have two, with one played less frequently. I only bought the Rutee one in the import, but it had two themes:
Bare Its Fangs and Perfidious Act
, the latter of which honestly surprised me to hear when it played, and I don't recall hearing it very much either, even though I played through about 20 hours with it.
Oh cool, you can buy them separately? Or are the packs a western thing in general?

straylize

Oh cool, you can buy them separately? Or are the packs a western thing in general?

The bundles are a western thing (that I greatly dislike). In Japan, they were sold both individually and in bundles of 3 (the girls and guys). If you want the cameos for this release, you're still going to have to buy the full set since they stopped offering a la carte costumes as of Zestiria, apparently.

Taruranto

Done with the
Corsair's sickness
part. Did I mention this game's dungeons suck? Because they suuuuck so much. At times it feels like they just straight ported Zestiria's environments. It's honestly embarrassing.

Also the OST. I don't think I could even describe it other than "It exists". I can't believe they got Go Shiina for Zestiria and they didn't get him back for this.

Ydelnae

I just reached the game final dungeon and I've been doing sidequests for the past hours. I will put the game on hold because I have to play the FFXV carnival before it runs out.

I'm actually asking myself how did the Tales team get to release such a good entry in a very short timeframe. It's like they weren't even trying with Xillia 2 and Zestiria because they were waiting to go all out in this game.

Wagram

Element Hunter: I was hoping I could obtain some advice on this title. I went into NG+ with 236/240 of the required skills for this title. I am completely done with everything including all trophies besides Level 2 Titles (due to this) and i'm only at 238/240. Does anyone have any tips? I have obtained every ??? item in the database. I have been spamming Arenas on Chaos non-stop. I have no clue how to finish this and it's only level 2 out of 3 which I find hilarious.

Giolon

I've been pretty glad that the dungeons in this game are simplified and streamlined. Having to run around finding switches in multiple rooms to shoot fireballs at in the right order from my Sorcerer's Ring was never fun. I've always found Tales' dungeons to be tedious. Here, most of them are fine - here's a bunch of (usually new) enemies to fight, here's some free loot, walk down this tunnel and get to your boss encounter eventually. Also here's some shortcuts once you get the geoboard. Great! Now, let's make them even shorter.

I'm not coming into these games looking for a Zelda-like dungeon puzzle solving experience. Just let me get on with the story.

I just reached the point where I can go to the final dungeon or do sidequests. I'll be doing side quests. I'm ready to see how this ends, but I don't want to miss out on any of this other stuff!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ya know, if this game had Xillia's budget + Zestiria's OST, this will have been the best Tales of all times.

But right now, it's still one of the best, only hampered by dungeon design.

I just finished
Titania Prison with the headless horseman boss
... how close am I to the end?

More or less 40-50%

Giolon

How would you guys compare this to symphonia, abyss, xillia and vesperia?

I'm closing in on the endgame now, and I'd say:

Berseria >= Abyss >= Symphonia > Vesperia. Which is to say I like Berseria a little bit more than I like Abyss, which I like a little bit more than Symphonia, which I like a decent bit more than Vesperia, which I also like.

No opinion on Xillia.

Astrael

How would you guys compare this to symphonia, abyss, xillia and vesperia?

I honestly couldn't get that into Symphonia, though I did respect its ambitious storytelling that I think Abyss exceeded. The larger cast made it much harder to get into the characters as well as I did with Berseria's, and Berseria's main characters were (to me) the strongest the series ever offered. It probably didn't help that I played Symphonia far later than Abyss, Vesperia, and Xillia. Overall I'd say Berseria is a much more focused story than Symphonia and has better combat (I felt Symphonia's combat was just too slow).

Tales of the Abyss is/was my favorite in the series (until this game), the usage of the God Generals and Van were something I felt most of the rest of the series was lacking (strong, menacing but deep antagonists). The antagonists in this game reminded me of this, with the unique twist of being on opposite sides that the Tales games usually are, and that was only a big plus for my opinion. I put this game on the same level with Abyss, where one game lacks the other picks up.

I liked Vesperia's skill system for having more impactful skills but I also hated how limited the choices were to equip the learned skills (due to skill point restrictions). Berseria does away with the skill limits, but at the cost of less amazing skills. Vesperia has prettier and more imaginative dungeons (overall) but I felt many were extremely tedious, far more than Berseria's worst dungeons. I also really hated Karol, I "got" his character but just didn't like him. Vesperia is the only game in the series I actually chose to play someone other than the main character, too. I liked Repede more than Yuri, but I had way more fun playing as Velvet than any other main character in the series.

For Xillia, I am not sure why but this is the only game in the series I was "done" with after finishing both stories, I felt it just didn't have a very good story (far weaker than Vesperia's 3rd act). Xillia's dual story system was pretty poorly executed. Too much of the story was still shared between Jude and Milla, and the scenes that were different I felt could have been seamlessly integrated the same way the way Asch's parts in Abyss were. I did like the cast quite a bit, but I think Berseria's was overall stronger. The combat in both games felt pretty mindless to me (Graces still is the best for this imo, and Berseria's is closer to Graces), but I did appreciate some of Berseria's Break Soul and guard systems.

With all the pros and cons of the game compared to others, my ranking goes more like, Berseria = Abyss > Vesperia > Symphonia > Xillia

Rainy

Banned
Late game stuff

So I just beat Niko's dogs in their Cerebrus form at the Shrine near Aball. How far away from the end am I?
I'd guess around 80% at this point?

I knew the village was an illusion but seeing Velvet so happy again was so nice...a real brutal trick.

Archtreyz

Do you not get a lot of trophies in this game at first? im fifteen hours in and only have percent of trophies. I don't know if that sounds right or not.

Top Bottom