• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

TheFatMan

Finished the game. Crazy ending, one of the best ones in a long while. Left me feeling fulfilled and happy I spent nearly 70 hours playing this game.

Heres to hoping the next Tales can combine the style of this game with a new PS4 graphics engine.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
KjFGBm6.jpg

What a chuuni name

N2kq3bW.png

Philippo

Finished the game. Crazy ending, one of the best ones in a long while. Left me feeling fulfilled and happy I spent nearly 70 hours playing this game.

Heres to hoping the next Tales can combine the style of this game with a new PS4 graphics engine.

Man, Tales of with UE4 would be amazing, and i'm sure it would make it more appealing to the mainstream.

For example, i know a few people that caved in the Naruto Ultimate Ninja series without watching the anime, and only because it looked incredible.

Astrael

gotta admit..
the ost is usually, good, but they stepped it up for this one..
magilou's theme is REALLY catchy..
honestly i could think of just a few touch here and there that would make it better (albeit a bit more repetitive in terms of sound).. and i'm usually quite strict when it comes to rpg riffs..

I know it's been criticized a bit in this thread but I generally liked the OST too, I felt Sakuraba at least tried a few different things than usual (I had just played Star Ocean 5 before this too so I was directly comparing the two). Although I haven't looked into which tracks are remixes or straight borrowed from previous games in the series, I did get into the battle themes this time around and Magilou's theme (like you said). The renditions of Velvet's theme are up there as some of my favorite emotional beats in the series.

Rainy

Banned
Late game spoilers

God I just got sucked into Innominat or whatever. I just watched that scene where Velvet is acting all crazy with Laphicet and Eleanor. Jesus I feel so bad for her. She's gotten so screwed...

Astrael

How far am I into this game?
Eleanor just confessed to everyone about the mission Artorius assigned to her.

I'd put this just after the halfway point of the game?

Late game spoilers

God I just got sucked into Innominat or whatever. I just watched that scene where Velvet is acting all crazy with Laphicet and Eleanor. Jesus I feel so bad for her. She's gotten so screwed...

It's really hard not to sympathize with Velvet by this point. Any sympathy for Artorius and his plans went right out the window for me lol.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just finished the game and big spoilers:

The entire game is interesting despite the rubbish locations. It's an interesting take wherein you play the bad guys against the good. Sadly they don't explain how Eizen became a dragon but that's fine. Hope the next game takes places between Berseria and Zestiria or 1000 years after Zestiria. I don't know how they'll tackle the next game if it's going to be part of the same world but maybe they can do away by playing as an Empyrean fighting against The Lord of Calamity and The Shepherd.

The story is indeed amazing. It's too bad that lots of people are missing out on Berseria.

But I kinda understand if they're staying away, I guess mainly due to:

- totally packed Q1 2017 releases
- the franchise has been in decline
- "Zestiria lol so bad not even worth $5"
- very outdated graphics
- anime

The entire game is interesting despite the rubbish locations. It's an interesting take wherein you play the bad guys against the good. Sadly they don't explain how Eizen became a dragon but that's fine. Hope the next game takes places between Berseria and Zestiria or 1000 years after Zestiria. I don't know how they'll tackle the next game if it's going to be part of the same world but maybe they can do away by playing as an Empyrean fighting against The Lord of Calamity and The Shepherd.

Eizen's dragonhood is explained if you do his sidequest revolving around Zaveid's dragon wife.

Rainy

Banned
I'd put this just after the halfway point of the game?

It's really hard not to sympathize with Velvet by this point. Any sympathy for Artorius and his plans went right out the window for me lol.

Agreed!

Holy fuck more late game spoilers.

Damn I totally didn't see it coming that Laphicet was Celica and Arthur's kid...and that Seres was Celica. Oof that made everything even harder. Also the fact that Laphicet wanted to sacrifice himself. Jesus I knew something like that was going to happen...

Also Melchior sure likes calling Velvet evil when he's pulled like some of the worst shit...

All the story stuff in the last hour probably cemented this as my favorite story in a Tales game.

sensui-tomo

So i bought this on namco bandai's site because the pc version is $29.99, its been over a half hour and i used paypal to buy the thing, is this normal or should i contact someone because i havent recieved anything except that paypal took my money.

Ryne

How much more crazy do I have left myself?

found out who innominat is I think, just found a dragon twice, and now resting up to chase the van eltia who looks like it's about to be attacked by daemon Van Aifread

Game got a bit crazy after
we killed Oscar and his sister

Thanks @Astrael. Don't want to quote you since you replied back to a spoiler. Half way and invested 30 hours in the game thus far. I'm really liking the soundtrack and characters in this game. Eleanor is surprisingly fun to play as and has a good personality.

Vamphuntr

Wheh you fight Zaveid's girlfriend (the White Dragon) he gets contaminated by Malevolence and Zaveid tells him he will turn too eventually and that he will be there to kill him. You don't even play the bad guys in the game. The game works really hard to show you Artorius and co are worse. The Abbey was turning people purposefully into demons, were using Malak as slaves and and wanted to rob people of their free will so there would be no more hatred in humans. Velvet is selfish and stupid but in the end she's isn't as evil as Artorius.

Is there a specific thing that triggers Dire Foe battles? Ive only run into a few at 35 hours in.

Doing Dangerous encounters and playing on higher difficulties increase the odds.

Agreed!

Damn I totally didn't see it coming that Laphicet was Celica and Arthur's kid...and that Seres was Celica. Oof that made everything even harder. Also the fact that Laphicet wanted to sacrifice himself. Jesus I knew something like that was going to happen...

Also Melchior sure likes calling Velvet evil when he's pulled like some of the worst shit...

All the story stuff in the last hour probably cemented this as my favorite story in a Tales game.

I haven't quite finished yet, but got through those bits yesterday. There's no question in my mind at this point that this is my favorite Tales story and cast.

Giolon

Is there a specific thing that triggers Dire Foe battles? Ive only run into a few at 35 hours in.

It's supposedly based on your average grade from recent fights. Doing well in Dangerous Battles (2+ mobs together w/ the black circle underneath) is the fastest way to make sure a Dire Foe appears relatively quickly.

It's supposedly based on your average grade from recent fights. Doing well in Dangerous Battles (2+ mobs together w/ the black circle underneath) is the fastest way to make sure a Dire Foe appears relatively quickly.

Does the area you're in determine which one you fight or does it just keep giving you a new one until you beat them all?

Bridig Ravine if you can jump ravines (you'll know if you can). Nets you about 80 in 2 minutes if you have the optimal route.

It's the best I've found at least.
Thank you! I haven't missed many of the little guys but I would like to free them all, so this should definitely help me.

Astrael

Thanks @Astrael. Don't want to quote you since you replied back to a spoiler. Half way and invested 30 hours in the game thus far. I'm really liking the soundtrack and characters in this game. Eleanor is surprisingly fun to play as and has a good personality.

No problem! Sorry for quoting the other spoiler in my reply I forgot that it shows up unfiltered when quoting again. When we finally get Eleanor I knew she'd be a good addition just for the dynamic with the rest of the party, plus I'll always like a spear user. Definitely didn't let me down, she had a permanent spot in my main party.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Let's say you're currently level 100. To get to level 200 do you think it would be faster to continue grinding it out in the EX dungeon or to do a new game plus with 2x experience? (don't have enough grade for 3x or to combine them for 6x)

Strings

It's actually amazing how this game manages to salvage Zaveid. I absolutely loathed the guy in Zestiria, but plopping a shirt on him (and hilariously explaining why he doesn't have it later on
Normin Island
) + his entire arc with Eizen did wonders.

It's nice not having to associate his badass theme with an awful character.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm like 100% sure they totally rewrote Berseria cuz of Lailah's VA death.
Either that or it's some stupid shit like where they recylced Oscar's animations with Sorey. Like... Celica is pretty much a clone of Lailah. I have a feeling Seres was actually supposed to be Lailah and things should've been a tad different in the beginning.

Rainy

Banned
More Late Game thoughts..
Oscar and Teresa sure are some scrubs lol. I feel like more could have been done with them in some way. Both of them being destroyed at every encounter (especially Oscar) was pretty hilarious though.

I'm just about to head to the volcano. I'm kind of interested to see what happens with Zaveid. I'll be honest I played only a few hours of Zestiria and I know he's in it, so at least I know he survives this game lol. How many years does Berseria take place before Zestiria anyway?

More Late Game thoughts..
Oscar and Teresa sure are some scrubs lol. I feel like more could have been done with them in some way. Both of them being destroyed at every encounter (especially Oscar) was pretty hilarious though.

I'm just about to head to the volcano. I'm kind of interested to see what happens with Zaveid. I'll be honest I played only a few hours of Zestiria and I know he's in it, so at least I know he survives this game lol. How many years does Berseria take place before Zestiria anyway?
I believe it's supposed to take place a
hundred
years or so before Zestiria.

Just unlocked more Katz and finally received my
invitation
! So excited.

MartyStu

So i bought this on namco bandai's site because the pc version is $29.99, its been over a half hour and i used paypal to buy the thing, is this normal or should i contact someone because i havent recieved anything except that paypal took my money.

That is not normal. You should definitely have received an email from Namco.

sensui-tomo

That is not normal. You should definitely have received an email from Namco.

Never got an email oddly enough, but about 10 minutes after posting that my order showed up on my namco bandai account. odd i was never sent the info but hey, i got the game, any way to force it to show ps4 buttons on a xbo controller? ( i saw some fix on steam but never saw the option to change the button.

Never got an email oddly enough, but about 10 minutes after posting that my order showed up on my namco bandai account. odd i was never sent the info but hey, i got the game, any way to force it to show ps4 buttons on a xbo controller? ( i saw some fix on steam but never saw the option to change the button.

Install Kaldien's fix and hit ctrl + shift + backspace in the game. it'll pop up a UI. click the button that says "gamepad config" and pick what buttons you want it to show.

hundred

Pretty sure it's way more than that. It kinda has to be considering that no human in Zestiria remembers any details of the events of Berseria other than that there was a shepherd named Artorius a long time ago.

Rainy

Banned
hundred

invitation
! So excited.

I see thanks.

The kind of weird thing with prequels is that you know the happy ending (if there is one) won't last.

sensui-tomo

Install Kaldien's fix and hit ctrl + shift + backspace in the game. it'll pop up a UI. click the button that says "gamepad config" and pick what buttons you want it to show.

Thanks, that'll make things easier for me (i never could remember the placements for x,a,b,y due to nintendo and xbox doing there own thing , and playstation controls were just easier to remember.

jonjonaug

Pretty sure it's way more than that. It kinda has to be considering that no human in Zestiria remembers any details of the events of Berseria other than that there was a shepherd named Artorius a long time ago.

According to the world guide translated here, Berseria takes place about one thousand years before Zestiria.

I see thanks.

The kind of weird thing with prequels is that you know the happy ending (if there is one) won't last.

Oh you have no idea.

Ending spoilers:
I shouted "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK" when they revealed Laphicet's true name

Astrael

To be fair, no human DURING Berseria seems to know what's actually going on lol.

CrazyDude

hundred

invitation
! So excited.

It's more like a 1000 years between games. A 100 is not even close to enough time for people to suddenly forget everything that happened in Berseria.

Squire

Banned
Chilled on this game for a bit as my PS4 was acting up. Got a Slim (which is very nice!) and got back into it tonight. 26 hours in now. I'm at
the village you go to with Grimoirh.

Game is still great. I feel like I finally got a feel for using Eleanor, I'm getting 2-3.00 Grade per fight pretty often, and the skits especially are really growing on me. The group
speculating about who Edna is
was hilarious. It's pretty nice to have the characters just interacting and getting to know each other despite the fact they're not really friends in the traditional sense.

So yeah, back at it. Should ease the wait for Nier: Automata.

Heyt

Banned

I really hope (berseria+zestriria spoilers)
they do a Zestiria Sequel after this fo tie everything up nicely and see how the Berseria locations we did not visit on Zestiria have changed in the future. Maybe 100, 200 years after ToZ with a recently awokenSorey and Mikleo showing up every now and then.

I really like this universe and all the lore.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just finished the quests for the Shadow Guild.

There's been some nice callbacks to Zestiria.

I like the new cast. Zestiria's party was high tier so I hope up this cast ends up being close.

I hope there's more varied after battle skits. The ones in Zestiria were fucking hilarious.

Am I close to getting Magilou in my party? It's taking forever.

Whizkid7

Agreed!

I just cleared that part myself and holy shit was my mind blown.

Though I think my favorite part of that whole thing - from Innominant's reveal to the end when they face Melchior - was Laphicet being a total bro and bringing Velvet back to her senses. You go, little du-er, malak!

The more I play the more I love this game.

Top Bottom