• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wait, who's complaining about the lack of shortcuts? You mean the arts you set on the right trigger? Because there is that in Graces.

burgerdog

Do I have to craft the
narikiri
dolls in the future arc? I beat it yesterday and that's the only thing keeping me from going back to the regular arc.

Do I have to craft the
narikiri
dolls in the future arc? I beat it yesterday and that's the only thing keeping me from going back to the regular arc.

Yes, you have to get them in the future arc
In Telos, there is one of the little robot boys who will offer to make you role play, give him a doll and he'll bestow a Narikiri title on one of your characters you choose. You actually have to get 6 dolls for every character to get all the titles so enjoy grinding/using the eleth mixer

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And I love Peaches too. :p
"Peaches look like butts!"
:lol

Yes, you have to get them in the future arc
In Telos, there is one of the little robot boys who will offer to make you role play, give him a doll and he'll bestow a Narikiri title on one of your characters you choose. You actually have to get 6 dolls for every character to get all the titles so enjoy grinding/using the eleth mixer
And to add to this, you can do future arc again if you beat the main game again and use the clear save from that.

Totally grinding some artes with the BGM muted and using Tragic Scream, Battle for Survival, Escape from the City, the Level 1 BGM from Silver Surfer and Rooftop Run - Modern. It makes the whole thing more enjoyable.

burgerdog

Thanks for the tips. I have decided to put the game down for now, as much as it pains me to do this without even touching the extra dungeon and completing all side content. I picked up Majin and dmc hd this week so I'm going to play those games until Xenoblade is out. Graces will be my go to game during a video game drought.

How do I not suck while playing as Sophie? I got the 100 titles for Asbel trophy a long time ago, so I'm trying to grind Artes for Sophie, but me playing as her always causes my party to die...

edit: I think I'll just continue playing Asbel and kicking ass and I'll turn off any of Sophie's artes that she has already mastered

EDIT 2: OMG FUTURE ARC YOU BASTARD
forcing me into a Hubert Cheria Malik party augh. I played as Hubert and it worked out okay after a few tries... but damn that was quite the learning experience

Right now I'm playing Tales of the Abyss 3D and I would love to do that to Luke so bad.

Luke is cooler than everybody in Graces, IMO. Way better character arc, too.

So do the
Narikiri Dolls basically let you have a clone of that person in the party?

rataven

Finally starting this tonight. I feel like my timing is pretty terrible with Xenoblade out next week, but looking forward to this all the same!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Goddamn, this game should be called Tales of Asset Reuse or Tales of Backtracking. I feel like this game is tiny. Do we start to go journeying soon? I'm in
Stratha

Synless

Goddamn, this game should be called Tales of Asset Reuse or Tales of Backtracking. I feel like this game is tiny. Do we start to go journeying soon? I'm in
Stratha

I'm there too and feel the same way. Also, I've been trying to get my mixer leveled up for a few hours now. I think I mentioned it before, but there has to be a faster way to level it. Mine is only at 388. Any help? Also, should I be wasting crystals on dualizing weapons now? Or should I wait?

Stratha

Speaking of asset reuse, I'm playing through Tales of Vesperia again and I got to a dungeon (The Weasand of Cados, I think it was called) that Team Destiny shamelessly ripped to make the Barona Catacombs. I mean a complete ripoff of the layout to the point where I think they just took the 3D model of the cave from Vesperia and re-textured it. XD

scy

Trying to solve how the dualizing process works (e.g., how Inheritance and Resell Multiplier work) is being an annoyance. A lot of dead end work and then I realized where I tunnel visioned on ignoring Initial Quality adjusting the resell value initially.

Mythril Tunic: 14,660 Gald
Base Resell: 1832 Gald
[0] Barbed Resell: 3848 Gald
[4] Grand Resell: 12,138 Gald (15,173 Gald when Temped)
[5] Grand Resell: 12,947 Gald (16,184 Gald when Tempered)
Extracted Resell: 6743 Gald (regardless of the [Value] Grand used; Type of Shard also doesn't matter, just the final Quality)

But I can't figure out the value from adding the Shard. 6743 Gald at the end is merely +60% of the [0] Barbed Resell value but it's not that simple. Basically:

(PurchasedPrice / 8) = Base Value
Extracted Value = (Base Value) * (CurrentQualityResellMultiplier) * (1 + AllResellInheritancesDualized)

So if you have a +4 Mythril Tunic that went:

+1 = Noble (Resell Mult: 2.5x, Resell Inheritance: +70%)
+2 = Stuffy (Resell Mult: 1.0x, Resell Inheritance: +140%)
+3 = Untamed (Resell Mult: 3.5x, Resell Inheritance: +90%)
+4 = Perilous (Resell Mult: 3.0x, Resell Inheritance: +200%)

Your Extracted Value after removing the Perilous would be the following:
(BaseValue) * (CurrentQualityResellMultiplier) * (1 + AllResellInheritancesDualized)
(14,660 / 8) * (3.0) * (1 + 0.7 + 1.4 + 0.9 + 2.0)
= 1832.5 * 3.0 * (6.0)
= 32,985 Gald

Which I probably should've grabbed a picture of instead of writing it down. And, again, this is the value after you extract the effect. The value when you first dualize the shard onto the armor and make it Perilous, assuming it's a [4] Shard, is 59,373 Gald (74,216 Gald when Tempered) but I can't seem to figure out that Dualized Value. Tempered is merely 125% Dualized whenever I do figure it out, though.

Incidentally, this also means Perilous is actually the second worst 8-letter Quality if you're planning to sell it after tempering it but before extracting the effect; it's the best if you're still tempering more after this to increase value more later. Basically, stopping on Perilous and selling the item is the worst use of reaching the 8-letter Quality tier.

I wager this was probably all in a JP Wiki somewhere and I wasted all day today being stupid :x (4 hours before "...oh yeah, it starts as Barbed.")

Edgeward

I think I'm adjusting to Evil now, exploiting all weaknesses and learning the revive artes is making it a manageable feat. I will say I wish you didn't get Game Over on regular encounters. Don't see why you can't just restart like in boss battles.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Stratha

I've been liking the game a lot more from the point you're at. You go to another varied environment soon, I was getting really sick of running back and forth around Lhant.

Yuripaw

Banned
Finally got my copy of this game today. I haven't opened it yet, but I wanted to chime in here. How's the reception been for this game so far from you guys? I've been reading the last few posts, and have only seen complaints or spoilers I don't wanna read yet.

I've never actually beaten a Tales game, so this is gonna be one of my first. I played Symphonia, but never got a chance to beat it >_<

Big B

Finally got my copy of this game today. I haven't opened it yet, but I wanted to chime in here. How's the reception been for this game so far from you guys? I've been reading the last few posts, and have only seen complaints or spoilers I don't wanna read yet.

I've never actually beaten a Tales game, so this is gonna be one of my first. I played Symphonia, but never got a chance to beat it >_<

Amazing gameplay and collecting recipes and skills, not amazing everything else.

most of the comments are pretty damn positive in this thread. I'd say it's one of the best in the series, arguably the best due to the AAA battle system and game mechanics in general. As for story graphics and all that, it's average to meh to sometimes good. Somewhere on that spectrum.

frequency

In previous Tales threads, I had rated several other games in the series above this based on my playthrough on the Wii version.

I'm playing through this on the PS3 now. I'm not sure what changed, but the entire experience is vastly superior to me. This is shaping up to be one of my favourite in the series.

My favourite, assuming this doesn't overtake it, was Symphonia. But, like I said, this is threatening to take it over.

I really don't know why playing on the PS3 is making such a huge difference for me. Or maybe it's just because I'm coming into this straight from FFXIII-2.
I am a story-first gamer though. So the high might drop after I'm away from this game for a while.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Finished Chapter 5. Overall, I like how it was handled in this version.

SET ME FREEEEEE
I'll make it through, prove it to yoooouuuuu... FOLLOW ME!

Battles are all about following the rainbow. :3

Luke is cooler than everybody in Graces, IMO. Way better character arc, too.

So do the
Narikiri Dolls basically let you have a clone of that person in the party?
Asshole
Luke is cool since he
wants to kill Mieu >:D
. (But enough of that, since people have said they don't want to be spoiled with regards to story from other Tales games)

And yep to your second question. It's really useful, especially against the harder bosses, imo.

I wager this was probably all in a JP Wiki somewhere and I wasted all day today being stupid :x (4 hours before "...oh yeah, it starts as Barbed.")
Tee hee. Yes.

But you still managed to figure it out on your own which is a really good thing! :D

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just beat ToG (not f) and doing sidequests atm.

I really love this game so much and it is pretty good game. I don't get people hating on specific characters since I thought all characters were great. I guess I am simple guy who like everything expect shitty games. I meant I love ToA and it is one of top 5 tales game for me. (I have to re-evaluate my favorite list soon tho.)

Sagitario

Just reached the desert. Finally some enemies that last more than 10 seconds.
Level 31 and Eleth Mixer at 814.
The Magic Carta minigame is going to be a PITA, right? :\

Stratha

It does feel small. If there is one thing that bothers more than anything about the world: the huge amount of invisible walls (it doesn't even make sense in certain road spots).

Is it just me or the amount of enemies to fight is greatly diminished compared to previous Tales games?
The roads are kind of large, but there aren't many foes. The distance between one enemy and the next is too big and that makes the "exploration" way more boring than it should cause there isn't a lot to explore or discover in the first place. This is so odd considering the strength of Graces is in its battles.

scy

End of Chapter 7:
Seriously missed 60s on both Lambda-Richard and Emeraude by a few seconds? :| Not that either one of them are actually 60s bosses but it's pretty sad to see "1:04:XX" or something

Tee hee. Yes.

But you still managed to figure it out on your own which is a really good thing! :D

I kept thinking it must be since, really, it's pretty simple (once I stopped being stupid)*. But, at the same time, I kept seeing Perilous as the best 8-letter option for selling and I couldn't figure it out from just general testing since it's only a 3x multiplier and just cursory glances at it should be obvious it is not the case (in terms of selling value, it's your actual worst option for that tier tied with Vigorous; in terms of growing value by dualizing over and over, it's your best).

The one wiki I remember reading, and some basic Googling, had no formulas for it and were wrong in their descriptions of the terms (and one wiki I found had most the multipliers wrong so I didn't bother checking any further there). Oh well. Still want to figure out the Dualize Value since that's the actual important bit for this. Nobody should really care about the Extracted Value if you're trying to make money from Dualizing.

Seriously, I can't believe I took so long to double-check across items that the base Resell Multiplier I was using was correct. I had sampled it across every single Mythril item but just never checked otherwise because ... something. It wasn't until I went to sell Items that I noticed their base was 20%. I'm still pretty embarrassed at myself for that >>

frequency

Just beat ToG (not f) and doing sidequests atm.

I really love this game so much and it is pretty good game. I don't get people hating on specific characters since I thought all characters were great. I guess I am simple guy who like everything expect shitty games. I meant I love ToA and it is one of top 5 tales game for me. (I have to re-evaluate my favorite list soon tho.)

I feel the same way about the characters.

I also loved Abyss. It's either 2nd or 3rd for me. Kind of tied with Xillia.

I took pictures with my phone so I could cheese the hell out of the Hard mode. :p

Damn, I didn't do that. I got Cheria's costume with pure skill!

Well, I just arrived at
Eleth Research Lab
in the future arc, and the enemies are waaaaay too hard here. Asbel only has 5k hp, why do these things hit for 4k?! What the hell... I die in two hits, it's insane. The enemies just before there at
Telos Astue
were fine. Stupid random difficulty spikes

Esura

Banned

Graces f is great to me imo. Awesome battle systems, awesome characters, interesting story, just great all around. Later dungeons are an absolute pain in the ass though. I had to resort to a FAQ so I can get the items from those dungeons.

Depends on your knowledge of past Tales games. The game works simply by giving a quote from a character and you have to grab the card for that character before the other person.

My knowledge of other Tales of games besides Graces f only really extends to Symphonia and Abyss, and I never even finished those. This minigame is crap to anyone who didn't play a bunch of Tales of game previous. Its a blind guess for me.

scy

My knowledge of other Tales of games besides Graces f only really extends to Symphonia and Abyss, and I never even finished those. This minigame is crap to anyone who didn't play a bunch of Tales of game previous. Its a blind guess for me.

Study the quotes on the cards, I guess? I didn't really think playing more Tales games helped short of remembering name <-> picture ... which doesn't help at all for the game.

Honestly, without pausing, knowing more Tales games hurt since I disconnected on the voices not matching who I thought said it.

card mini game is a pain the ass. I have to first take a photo of my tv to see the card layout, then pause the game once I hear the quote. then look at gamefaqs for which character is saying the quote, and since I don't play much previous Tales, I have no idea which character portrait belong to which names, so I have to google images the name before I know which is the correct card to pick.

MechaX

God damn. I wish the party members had a "Don't stay the fuck close to an enemy while casting a spell" or "Don't run into obviously telegraphed boss aoes" strategy settings that they would actually listen to.

God damn. I wish the party members had a "Don't stay the fuck close to an enemy while casting a spell" or "Don't run into obviously telegraphed boss aoes" strategy settings that they would actually listen to.

This is making it so difficult for me to fight boss battles on hard

Edgeward

First Slime now Parasites. This design of bosses are so goddamn cheap. Got thru it only on hard. Evil was too much once it was in the second phase.

I kept thinking it must be since, really, it's pretty simple (once I stopped being stupid)*. But, at the same time, I kept seeing Perilous as the best 8-letter option for selling and I couldn't figure it out from just general testing since it's only a 3x multiplier and just cursory glances at it should be obvious it is not the case (in terms of selling value, it's your actual worst option for that tier tied with Vigorous; in terms of growing value by dualizing over and over, it's your best).

So in stupid person terms, best way to make money involves what specific sequence (including qualities) of initial item quality -> dualize -> extract gem -> dualize -> extract gem -> ... -> sell

Labadal

I'm really bad at doing combo's. My highest is 24 hits. I don't have trouble surviving in battles, but I can't seem to string together a lot of hits. I currently have 6-9 CC on my currently controlled character (Richard). Is it just me sucking or are others also having problems getting a lot of consecutive hits on enemies? Are there any good tips? (Besides, stop sucking at the game.)

24 hits for 6-9 is pretty solid...

I've beat the game and am on the final dungeon on my NG+ and most fights you don't get big combos, usually only things with high HP.

Then I tend to pace myself, open up on the enemy when the AI jumps in, I stop to regain CC so I can continue the combo when they slow down.

I think my max is only like 124 or something, average 55-60 on big things before they die.

If anyone wants to know an easy way of getting into Floor 10 of Zhonecage, go to Gralesyde and buy a Rare Shotstaff (rank 8 stamp item) and use a High-grade Crystal on it. This makes a Dreamer's Flange.

Dualize it with any shard that produces Perilous quality for a Dreamer's Flange +1. Temper this weapon and that alone is enough to get you into Floor 10.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

It is mind boggling that this game doesn't have an easy way to have the AI back off when there is a specific game mechanic with the enemy's eleth burst that demands it.

Sagitario

Pausing it over and over again as you move to the card delays the AI. It's flawless.

That's good to know. Thanks.

Trying to solve how the dualizing process works (e.g., how Inheritance and Resell Multiplier work) is being an annoyance. A lot of dead end work and then I realized where I tunnel visioned on ignoring Initial Quality adjusting the resell value initially.

Mythril Tunic: 14,660 Gald
Base Resell: 1832 Gald
[0] Barbed Resell: 3848 Gald
[4] Grand Resell: 12,138 Gald (15,173 Gald when Temped)
[5] Grand Resell: 12,947 Gald (16,184 Gald when Tempered)
Extracted Resell: 6743 Gald (regardless of the [Value] Grand used; Type of Shard also doesn't matter, just the final Quality)

But I can't figure out the value from adding the Shard. 6743 Gald at the end is merely +60% of the [0] Barbed Resell value but it's not that simple. Basically:

(PurchasedPrice / 8) = Base Value
Extracted Value = (Base Value) * (CurrentQualityResellMultiplier) * (1 + AllResellInheritancesDualized)

So if you have a +4 Mythril Tunic that went:

+1 = Noble (Resell Mult: 2.5x, Resell Inheritance: +70%)
+2 = Stuffy (Resell Mult: 1.0x, Resell Inheritance: +140%)
+3 = Untamed (Resell Mult: 3.5x, Resell Inheritance: +90%)
+4 = Perilous (Resell Mult: 3.0x, Resell Inheritance: +200%)

Your Extracted Value after removing the Perilous would be the following:
(BaseValue) * (CurrentQualityResellMultiplier) * (1 + AllResellInheritancesDualized)
(14,660 / 8) * (3.0) * (1 + 0.7 + 1.4 + 0.9 + 2.0)
= 1832.5 * 3.0 * (6.0)
= 32,985 Gald

Which I probably should've grabbed a picture of instead of writing it down. And, again, this is the value after you extract the effect. The value when you first dualize the shard onto the armor and make it Perilous, assuming it's a [4] Shard, is 59,373 Gald (74,216 Gald when Tempered) but I can't seem to figure out that Dualized Value. Tempered is merely 125% Dualized whenever I do figure it out, though.

Incidentally, this also means Perilous is actually the second worst 8-letter Quality if you're planning to sell it after tempering it but before extracting the effect; it's the best if you're still tempering more after this to increase value more later. Basically, stopping on Perilous and selling the item is the worst use of reaching the 8-letter Quality tier.

Again, I feel dumb after reading this :D

Study the quotes on the cards, I guess? I didn't really think playing more Tales games helped short of remembering name <-> picture ... which doesn't help at all for the game.

Honestly, without pausing, knowing more Tales games hurt since I disconnected on the voices not matching who I thought said it.

Exactly (with the exception of 2 or 3 cards so far).

It is mind boggling that this game doesn't have an easy way to have the AI back off when there is a specific game mechanic with the enemy's eleth burst that demands it.

Yeah, pretty disappointed by this game strategy options.

Labadal

24 hits for 6-9 is pretty solid...

I've beat the game and am on the final dungeon on my NG+ and most fights you don't get big combos, usually only things with high HP.

Then I tend to pace myself, open up on the enemy when the AI jumps in, I stop to regain CC so I can continue the combo when they slow down.

I think my max is only like 124 or something, average 55-60 on big things before they die.

I see, thanks for the info. I thought I was doing something wrong, but I guess not since battles are mostly smooth sailing. Only had trouble with the boss in the Seaside Cavern. Had to use 1 Life Bottle. I'm currently playing on Normal difficulty and will stick with that until my next "get everything" playthrough.

Edgeward

I dualizied two gems and now they are gone from my inventory wtf? Where did they do? I thought they were supposed to give me a better gem but it went and disappeared completely

Top Bottom