• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Alrix

Did they only ship a limited number of copies of this game? I've recently bought Radiant Historia and Abyss 3DS so that I wouldn't need to deal with finding it once it became hard to find...should I do the same with Graces f? I'd like to wait for a sale or price drop of somekind, but if it's gonna become hard to find, then fuck it. I've seen Vesperia in stores for years so I guess they printed plenty of those. Wonder if this is similar to Vesperia or Abyss 3ds.

Neki

I wasn't aware there was bonus points for beating a boss the correct way.

correct way to ever beat a jRPG is never to use consumes that cannot be bought unless necessary. Such consumables (elixirs, mega elixirs, all divides etc) are purely for show, and not to be used, ever.

scy

correct way to ever beat a jRPG is never to use consumes that cannot be bought unless necessary. Such consumables (elixirs, mega elixirs, all divides etc) are purely for show, and not to be used, ever.

I have used one All-Divide because I flubbed going for a Life Bottle :| I contemplated reloading for about 10 minutes due to it but didn't feel like redoing the two hours of playing.

Jeels

Just got Hubert in my party permanently, so happy. And a bunch of side quests opened up too, just beat
Bryce the second time in those woods

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Got that quote where Sophie deadpans and asks why Hubert's lying. That one's much better than the JP version. Made me laugh hard due to the delivery. Also, the (Chapter 5 skit before Zavhert)
"there should be a crablette day!!"
made me smile.

Asbel has 78 titles so far. Just running around indirectly grinding because I'm dualizing equipment and levelling up the pot. Hubert's at about 53, and I guess Malik is at a similar number since their trophies popped at the same time.

I'm eager to see how the Chapter 5 events carry out in English. They were probably among my favourite parts of the game.

I have used one All-Divide because I flubbed going for a Life Bottle :| I contemplated reloading for about 10 minutes due to it but didn't feel like redoing the two hours of playing.
I did that once! I ended up running around for a while making the Arles Pot duplicate one because I was mad at myself for using it. :|

I can't stop grinding... I don't want to stop... seeing all those numbers get bigger and bigger, it's so satisfying
Titles are being thrown at you left and right, aren't they? :p

I have (well, had) something like 200+ pages of Disgaea data of trying to solve basically every single possible calculation it ever did; thankfully, a lot of the basics of those mechanics are still the same so it's not exactly useless. Sort of.

Similar situation for EO, though almost all of that stuff wasn't really that hard to figure out (/get from the game itself).
I made so many notes for FFXIII when I did the postgame content with regards to animation times, efficiency, weapon stuff, a spreadsheet for calculating how many stars you'd get in battle based on what your equipment you used and how fast you cleared it, another spreadsheet detailing how much XP is required to level up a weapon, etc. I'd imagine it'd fill an entire binder should I have printed it all off.

I took a bunch of notes for Arc the Lad II, now that I think about it... Most of my notes are for NES, SNES, and PSX games. And I used to highlight codes in those old Tips and Tricks magazines and other magazines that had codes, or made annotations in the columns and stuff.

Hey, I do it too. Not as extensive, but I usually write stuff down. I have game notes all over my room. I can't see myself throwing them away, in case I replay a game in the future [I have my ToS and TotA notes ready]

That and I remember you mentioning your boyfriend before, also, I think I confused you with someone from the gay thread at first, so I always had that impression.
Plus, there is some "kindness" when reading your replies... IDK, it's hard to explain... I am probably being silly :p, but the more girl gamers, the better :)
I have the binders in my closet but I can get them out whenever. More often than not, I have most stuff memorized but I have to go back to make sure for a few things.

Ah, well no worries! I think it's sorta natural to make that assumption based on the general audience of games anyway despite the gender gap not being as wide anymore. And I just play games to have fun and relax, so I guess the jovial feelings I have towards something somewhat come across in my writing. :)

It didn't annoy me, but it didn't fit and was surprisingly weak for a Sakuraba joint. Even ToA wasn't that flaccid.
I wonder who composed that, since Sakuraba and Tamura worked on the soundtrack for this game.

Maybe that was the theme's introduction but someone made a mistake and put it in the game instead. :p (Probably not, but gosh, I think it's bad.)

scy

I've come to hate Sophie's charged A-Artes. They do good damage (like, I think I saw Beast do 25k on its own) but... so annoying to grind to Mastery :(

Also, my 1M Gald apparently wasn't enough to keep up with my dualizing habit. Dang. :/

Got that quote where Sophie deadpans and asks why Hubert's lying. That one's much better than the JP version. Made me laugh hard due to the delivery. Also, the (Chapter 5 skit before Zavhert)
"there should be a crablette day!!"
made me smile.

"How long is a flash?"

Crablettes is why I stopped disliking Sophie.

I made so many notes for FFXIII when I did the postgame content with regards to animation times, efficiency, weapon stuff, a spreadsheet for calculating how many stars you'd get in battle based on what your equipment you used and how fast you cleared it, another spreadsheet detailing how much XP is required to level up a weapon, etc. I'd imagine it'd fill an entire binder should I have printed it all off.

I took a bunch of notes for Arc the Lad II, now that I think about it... Most of my notes are for NES, SNES, and PSX games. And I used to highlight codes in those old Tips and Tricks magazines and other magazines that had codes, or made annotations in the columns and stuff.

Oddly, I didn't really do much for FFXIII's stuff. I mean, I knew about most of it but I just kind of ... didn't care. Except for animation times and min/max stuff.

...I guess that's a pretty big "except."

Oh, so I found skits in the game where I duel my other party members, and I'm assuming there's one for everyone (maybe not?), but I haven't found Cheria's or Pascal's. Anyone know?

"The crablette is the finest food in the whoooole world." The look on her face when she said that with such reverence for a plate of food was d'awwww material.

Edited because I read the post wrong and scy was correctly thinking that Sophie is awesome.

Oh, so I found skits in the game where I duel my other party members, and I'm assuming there's one for everyone (maybe not?), but I haven't found Cheria's or Pascal's. Anyone know?

You don't get one that allows you to duel either one of them.
But there is a skit in the future arc where Cheria battles Pascal!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wait until much later, more specifically,
Future Arc; theirs is handled a little differently

I've come to hate Sophie's charged A-Artes. They do good damage (like, I think I saw Beast do 25k on its own) but... so annoying to grind to Mastery :(

Also, my 1M Gald apparently wasn't enough to keep up with my dualizing habit. Dang. :/

"How long is a flash?"

Oddly, I didn't really do much for FFXIII's stuff. I mean, I knew about most of it but I just kind of ... didn't care. Except for animation times and min/max stuff.

...I guess that's a pretty big "except."
Yeah, that's sorta why I didn't like using Sophie as much since they're pretty powerful, but sometimes it takes a while to get the titles. The other characters' charged artes are a little more fluid, imo.

I'm enjoying how Sophie is being handled in this version very much. She was the last character I ended up warming up to in the JP version.

I worked with another person for when we were doing our plat for FFXIII, so I ended up taking more notes than I probably should have. :lol I try making notes for Zelda games fun; I usually make heart piece checklists and print them off, and fill them in every subseqent playthrough, or make checklists for various macguffins to look for, etc. Of course, you can find most of this stuff pre-made on the Internet, though. Not sure why I go through the hassle of doing it myself.

Did they only ship a limited number of copies of this game? I've recently bought Radiant Historia and Abyss 3DS so that I wouldn't need to deal with finding it once it became hard to find...should I do the same with Graces f? I'd like to wait for a sale or price drop of somekind, but if it's gonna become hard to find, then fuck it. I've seen Vesperia in stores for years so I guess they printed plenty of those. Wonder if this is similar to Vesperia or Abyss 3ds.
Not sure. I still saw plenty of copies at Toys R Us in Canada, and it's still in stock on Amazon Canada. Vesperia was actually one that became hard to find for a while. I was lucky to have found the 360 version in Wal-Mart for $20 since it was the only copy left.

Seems like it's a similar case for the US, since Amazon.com still has it in stock.

Just got a YLOD :( Is this game's save "locked"? Am I just completely screwed or will I be able to transfer it somehow?
If I'm not mistaken, the save files are tied to the PSN account it's used with. Might be wrong, though.

Wait until much later, more specifically,
Future Arc; theirs is handled a little differently

Cool, I was just worried that I missed them somewhere. Apparently I missed a skit about crablettes (according to above posts), too =P
My party is just about level 70... I think I'll head to Ghardia Shaft tomorrow

Sophie is WAY better in this version than the JP version. Like, the voice actress is doing a really awesome job with her so far, and I think she got the character much better than the JP version's voice actress.

So in other words... Cassandra Lee Morris wins! Take that, Kana Hanazawa.

I love every role I've heard Cass do so far. Hope she keeps it up. I think she's pretty new to the dubbing of Japanese games and animation scene. Started last year I think.

Sagitario

ARRRRGHHHH!!!!

[end of Chapter 3]
I can't get the 'Defeat in 60 seconds' trophy for the
Richard
boss fight.
When he uses his Blast Caliber, the fight ends in ~1:22-25. So when
Richard
enters Arles Break mode, I use an hourglass to avoid his mystic arte and I am able to finish him in 1:05-06.

I have tried like 8 times already. Any tips? Does accessing the menu with triangle stop the timer (I access it for the hourglass and to change
Hubert
strategy)? I already switched to 'Easy' just for the fight, I will reset later to defeat the boss on 'Moderate' or 'Hard'

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I try not to access the menu just in case, and I usually set everyone to Offensive/Aggressive or healers to Balanced if I want to finish off a boss quickly. You can probably try to start the battle with a full Eleth Gauge too (but know that the eleth gauge resets whenever you hit a save point).

Whenever he goes into Eleth Break avoid him (and the hourglass idea is pretty smart) since it isn't really worth it. And are you using Lightning Blade or whatever Raizanshou is called now? If you're controlling Asbel, it'll be quite useful if you have Phantom Pulse (that an A-Arte; it's hold right on the left stick for 3CC) since that's strong against humans. I'd hesitate to switch to Hubert since you might not be too sure as to how he plays. I've noticed that this boss has a really bad habit of starting to cast spells whenever he's close to you, so hit him whenever he starts doing it. Set your party members to cancel spells too.

I'm usually around Level 3X for that fight, and it isn't difficult on Easy to get the trophy at that point (though I've noticed it's close to the 60 second mark due to the amount of HP that boss has). If you're having trouble it's probably better to do it on a NG+ with stat/XP bonuses, but since your time isn't bad right now, I'd try again.

Cool, I was just worried that I missed them somewhere. Apparently I missed a skit about crablettes (according to above posts), too =P
My party is just about level 70... I think I'll head to Ghardia Shaft tomorrow
Yeah, you needed to have a set of crablettes in your inventory when
you got the port that takes you to Zavhert and hit the save point for the skit.

I usually just synthesize new stuff whenever I get it, especially since a few characters have titles tied to synthesis like Cheria (cooking) and Pascal (synthesis).

So in other words... Cassandra Lee Morris wins! Take that, Kana Hanazawa.

I love every role I've heard Cass do so far. Hope she keeps it up. I think she's pretty new to the dubbing of Japanese games and animation scene. Started last year I think.
What else has she been in?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Now that I have 6 people I try to mix and match but I'm not sure what 4 to stick with here. What have most people been doing?

I'm on Asbel/Sophie/Pascal/Hubert right now, but I recently got Hubert so I'm mostly trying him out.

Esura

Banned
...The hell? That's one of the most adorable things about Sophie! XD

"The crablette is the finest food in the whoooole world." The look on her face when she said that with such reverence for a plate of food was d'awwww material.
I so agree.

Royal crablettes.....royal crablettes!

Yep. And I think adding it as DLC would make it a very pricey add-on. :p

Honestly, outside of Asbel, Asbel's Dad, Cheria, and
____λ____
(and maybe Richard), I think the dub's alright outside of a few spots. For instance:

Sophie is WAY better in this version than the JP version. Like, the voice actress is doing a really awesome job with her so far, and I think she got the character much better than the JP version's voice actress.

English Hubert nails the character down. I'd put him on equal footing with his Japanese counterpart. They're both pretty badass and make the character sound just as snooty as he's supposed to be.

English Malik is alright. Though I can't help but to feel like I'm listening a less-serious Nier sometimes. I've played that game for far too long. :lol
Wait, whats wrong with Cheria?

And how do you get all the in game costumes? I got the preorder bonus ones.

Datschge

It didn't annoy me, but it didn't fit and was surprisingly weak for a Sakuraba joint. Even ToA wasn't that flaccid.
Tamura/Aoyama. And all that track proves is that some Tales games have (had?) no sound direction at all, a track like this should never have been accepted/paid for to begin with. "Team Symphonia" games have relatively tight sound direction compared to the "Team Destiny" ones btw.

Grzi

I always thought I was the only one who did this :)

bubnbob

Banned

But that's not the correct way. The items are there, use them if you want. If I got a game over for using an Hourglass (or in the case of Barbados, utterly annihilated), then yes, I would be doing it incorrectly.

So that's just like, your opinion, man.

RPGCrazied

Putting the game down for awhile. Been playing nonstop since release. I have like 90 hours. All I have left is inn requests and the 100 title achievements. I missed a couple of downing bosses in 60 seconds too.

Oh and the pot being 9999 thing. That will take ages, lol mines barely 2k.

scy

...The hell? That's one of the most adorable things about Sophie! XD

Wait, isn't that what I said? It's what caused me to like Sophie; her skits and win quotes vs the story presentation of her. Which, on that note, I'd probably dislike more of the cast if not for the skits and win quotes possibly. They're fleshed out so much more in the skits.

Probably also helps that there's like 400 skits.

ARRRRGHHHH!!!!

[end of Chapter 3]
I can't get the 'Defeat in 60 seconds' trophy for the
Richard
boss fight.
When he uses his Blast Caliber, the fight ends in ~1:22-25. So when
Richard
enters Arles Break mode, I use an hourglass to avoid his mystic arte and I am able to finish him in 1:05-06.

I have tried like 8 times already. Any tips? Does accessing the menu with triangle stop the timer (I access it for the hourglass and to change
Hubert
strategy)? I already switched to 'Easy' just for the fight, I will reset later to defeat the boss on 'Moderate' or 'Hard'

Hm ... what level are you and how many titles do you have? Equipment? That fight was god awful to get the trophy on Chaos and I had a +10 weapon for Asbel while in my 30s with nearly 70 titles.

If you can spare the cash, I believe Gralesyde has a Battle Sword (77 P.Atk, 155 C.Atk, 39 Acc, 8-11 [?] CC) for sale pretty early in their Stamp rewards (4) so that's always an option; chances are likely it's just better than what you have right now, even if you've been dualizing a bit. I know since I had that happen when I was grinding dualizing the Katana I had been using to like +13 or something :( It's something around 24,000 Gald to get to that reward level + 6000 for the weapon. Not "too" bad...

If you have even more time, Turtlez vendors have the Rare Sword (131 P.Atk, 262 C.Atk, 66 Accuracy, 9-14 CC) at 7 and that's basically the best weapon you'll have until ... well ... a while. Quite some while.

Oh and the pot being 9999 thing. That will take ages, lol mines barely 2k.

It's so slow eventually, though if you've been keeping up with cooking then you have some of the better recipes at least. Just put two food items (Crab Fried Rice + Miso Stew ideally) in it with the appropriate books and fightfightfightfightfight.

Wait, isn't that what I said? It's what caused me to like Sophie; her skits and win quotes vs the story presentation of her. Which, on that note, I'd probably dislike more of the cast if not for the skits and win quotes possibly. They're fleshed out so much more in the skits.

Probably also helps that there's like 400 skits.

Yeah the skits and the victory scenes saves this cast.

Imagine the game without them.

Neki

But that's not the correct way. The items are there, use them if you want. If I got a game over for using an Hourglass (or in the case of Barbados, utterly annihilated), then yes, I would be doing it incorrectly.

So that's just like, your opinion, man.

only way to play jRPGs. been doing it since 1995! Out of mana in an RPG? No problem, just keep attacking until you beat him or lose, and reload! Not going to use any of these 30 elixirs or 10 mega elixirs! :p I don't have a problem as much using regular ethers, but anything more than that I won't use. :D

Yeah the skits and the victory scenes saves this cast.

Imagine the game without them.

Every tales of game use skits to push more background stuff on the cast... BUT Graces was really the first to use it correctly ( post battle ) It's really more a trademark in the serie now ..
NB can't go back....

I so agree.

Royal crablettes.....royal crablettes!

And how do you get all the in game costumes? I got the preorder bonus ones.

You can get in game costumes by (each line is a different set of costumes)

Winning the 3 levels of magic carta in sable izolle (guy with a :D over his body) without him ever getting a card. This will get you Asbel's Yuri outfit, Sophie's Patty outfit, and Cheria's Rita outfit.

Once you can finally use the flying vehicle scan around Strata till you find the Beach Resort, see the scenes there and you'll open a side quest to explore the world to find the 6 outfits.

The formal outfits are obtained though various side quest that open up when you get the flying ship. You'll find quiet a few of them while looking for the beach outfits.

Sophie and Richard get brand new outfits in the F story arc with their new titles.

That is all the costumes in the main game, the rest of them are DLC

Sagitario

Hm ... what level are you and how many titles do you have? Equipment? That fight was god awful to get the trophy on Chaos and I had a +10 weapon for Asbel while in my 30s with nearly 70 titles.

If you can spare the cash, I believe Gralesyde has a Battle Sword (77 P.Atk, 155 C.Atk, 39 Acc, 8-11 [?] CC) for sale pretty early in their Stamp rewards (4) so that's always an option; chances are likely it's just better than what you have right now, even if you've been dualizing a bit. I know since I had that happen when I was grinding dualizing the Katana I had been using to like +13 or something :( It's something around 24,000 Gald to get to that reward level + 6000 for the weapon. Not "too" bad...

If you have even more time, Turtlez vendors have the Rare Sword (131 P.Atk, 262 C.Atk, 66 Accuracy, 9-14 CC) at 7 and that's basically the best weapon you'll have until ... well ... a while. Quite some while.

Woah! You got the 60 seconds trophy on 'Chaos'... :bow
I don't think I would be able to do that... ever!

I have been using a Katana+ and [I believe] a Steel Sword+, but I don't think I have that much cash D: (definitely <30K) and Turtlez is level 3 at most. My level is 27 and I have no idea how many titles I got.
I guess I will keep trying tonight, maybe a recipe will help (I don't know if I have Crab Fried Rice for critical rate x2).

I want the money glitch back :( :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
She's inconsistent. The
ice queen
schtick is sometimes maintained even after it shouldn't be there, she sounds flat in battle (why doesn't she care when she uses her Blast Calibers? It's weird), and sometimes her cheerier/motherly moods sound inauthentic. Sometimes it sounds like she's reading the line as opposed to delivering it.

And I know Bailey can do better because I've played games and watched anime where she's done better. Especially as Serah, Marta, Isara, Spinel, Rise, Tohru, etc.

I'm not really hung up on the JP voice actress either because the only thing I know her from is when she voiced Sekai in that NICE BOAT anime that my friend thought would be fun for me to watch. She used the same voice in that as she did here, but just with a little maturity/ojouness since Cheria's kinda the mother of the group.

I want the money glitch back :( :p
Don't we all. :/

I keep running out of cash whenever I dualize higher-level equipment now. :lol

scy

Woah! You got the 60 seconds trophy on 'Chaos'... :bow
I don't think I would be able to do that... ever!

I honestly don't think I could reproduce it. I got an early Burst and rode it to victory on a lucky combo (136 hits at time of death!) that staggered at just the right times to keep my CC replenished. It's disheartening since most my attempts were around that 60-70s mark and I just couldn't deal with the time lost during his burst.

I have been using a Katana+ and [I believe] a Steel Sword+, but I don't think I have that much cash D: (definitely <30K) and Turtlez is level 3 at most. My level is 27 and I have no idea how many titles I got.
I guess I will keep trying tonight, maybe a recipe will help (I don't know if I have Crab Fried Rice for critical rate x2).

Well, the +Gald book is in Gralesyde if you don't have that. Should speed up getting money. Even if you don't grind it out, I'd still go get it just to have it so you're not like me and need the Gald later and can't use it while grinding because I forgot to pick the damn thing up.

Also, remember that _selling_ items counts as well for getting stamps. Grind a bit, dualize item drops to sell, maybe dualize some equipment a few times to sell, and you can even sell off those extracted Gems you'll never use.

It was this fight that made me start learning the dualize system since I wouldn't back down from a Chaos 60s kill (and then proceeded to do so next chapter since fuck that fight). If you see any items at 15 stock but nothing to combine to sell, just sell the mats themselves and refill them as you grind a little. Small things like that all go a long way.

Hell, I got to the point later in the game that I'd sell all my Grape Gels and remake them since I was getting the Seeds and Grapes as drops / shinies loot. Every little bit counts!

I keep running out of cash whenever I dualize higher-level equipment now. :lol

It costs nearly half a million Gald for me to dualize all eight slots of my active party :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I honestly don't think I could reproduce it. I got an early Burst and rode it to victory on a lucky combo (136 hits at time of death!) that staggered at just the right times to keep my CC replenished. It's disheartening since most my attempts were around that 60-70s mark and I just couldn't deal with the time lost during his burst.

It costs nearly half a million Gald for me to dualize all eight slots of my active party :(
I usually keep wacking on him until he goes down (lv 32-34). But by then I usually get Infernal Torrent and Phantom Pulse anyway, so I usually spam those, burn him, and he goes down more easily.

Honestly, the dungeon before that is like a godsend for grinding.

lol, when I did this for the first time naturally, I did most of my dualizing when money was more accessible, so running out wasn't always an issue. Second playthrough had me use the glitch and I never ran out of money, period. I've been fighting on Zavert Mountain for a while since I want to get titles for Hubert, so it's sort of a win-win in terms of gald, I guess.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
My main party is Sophie, Hubert, Cheria, and Pascal.

What an awesome combination since there are always 3 healers just in case the battle goes south :)

Someone recently in the thread posted a guide for getting through (what I'm almost certain is) the last dungeon in the f arc, the La
stalia Shaft
, while getting all of the weapons and such. However, I can't find it...

The dungeon looks sooo annoying, and if I don't use a guide, I'll probably never finish it. I don't want this to be yet another Tales game that I get to the last dungeon of, then not finish. (I've literally done that with 4 Tales games...)

Sagitario

Well, the +Gald book is in Gralesyde if you don't have that. Should speed up getting money. Even if you don't grind it out, I'd still go get it just to have it so you're not like me and need the Gald later and can't use it while grinding because I forgot to pick the damn thing up.

Also, remember that _selling_ items counts as well for getting stamps. Grind a bit, dualize item drops to sell, maybe dualize some equipment a few times to sell, and you can even sell off those extracted Gems you'll never use.

It was this fight that made me start learning the dualize system since I wouldn't back down from a Chaos 60s kill (and then proceeded to do so next chapter since fuck that fight). If you see any items at 15 stock but nothing to combine to sell, just sell the mats themselves and refill them as you grind a little. Small things like that all go a long way.

Hell, I got to the point later in the game that I'd sell all my Grape Gels and remake them since I was getting the Seeds and Grapes as drops / shinies loot. Every little bit counts!

Selling gels sounds great, I don't use them anyway (damn you grade shop)... using Life Bottles doesn't count, right?

I already have the Book of Wealth (unless you are talking about other book), but the gald dropping isn't much better :(

How many battles on Hard do I have to do to unlock the next difficulty setting? I want to see if that helps with the SP/items drops/gald and by how much.

scy

I usually keep wacking on him until he goes down (lv 32-34). But by then I usually get Infernal Torrent and Phantom Pulse anyway, so I usually spam those, burn him, and he goes down more easily.

It's more the lack of comboing and the damage he'd put out during it. Inevitably someone would die and the few seconds lost would be enough. It was frustrating. I didn't really B-Arte spam properly then, though, so maybe it'd be different now...

Honestly, the dungeon before that is like a godsend for grinding.

lol, when I did this for the first time naturally, I did most of my dualizing when money was more accessible, so running out wasn't always an issue. Second playthrough had me use the glitch and I never ran out of money, period. I've been fighting on Zavert Mountain for a while since I want to get titles for Hubert, so it's sort of a win-win in terms of gald, I guess.

It's not too good for Gald if I remember though :( And Zavert is good stuff. I did the grinding, though, on the Glacier path later, though. Small area with a Turtlez at both ends and ~4-5 shiny spawns. Even worked out for the amount of mixer energy I had so that I could go one way and use up about 50% of my energy with Book of Striking and food. Good stuff.

Selling gels sounds great, I don't use them anyway (damn you grade shop)... using Life Bottles doesn't count, right?

I already have the Book of Wealth (unless you are talking about other book), but the gald dropping isn't much better :(

How many battles on Hard do I have to do to unlock the next difficulty setting? I want to see if that helps with the SP/items drops/gald and by how much.

200 Hard -> Evil
300 Evil -> Chaos

And it's just EXP/SP bonuses and I think improved drop rates (though, just Shards, not regular items?). Don't think Gald is boosted but it's been awhile since I've turned the difficulty down to check.

so i have this game sitting on my shelf

and i'm faced with a dilemma. i know for a fact i will not be able to tolerate the unbelievably horrible story and characters, with all their baby talk. at least vesperia had some cool characters.

but the god like battle system makes me want to try and get into it.

i know if it clicks, it doesn't matter how shit the story and characters are... but still, this is over the top bad.

so i have this game sitting on my shelf

and i'm faced with a dilemma. i know for a fact i will not be able to tolerate the unbelievably horrible story and characters, with all their baby talk. at least vesperia had some cool characters.

but the god like battle system makes me want to try and get into it.

i know if it clicks, it doesn't matter how shit the story and characters are... but still, this is over the top bad.

No it's not, it's not even close, go watch some gameplay of Arc Rise Fantasia before you say this is "over the top bad"

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Why would you do that? said:
The dungeon looks sooo annoying, and if I don't use a guide, I'll probably never finish it. I don't want this to be yet another Tales game that I get to the last dungeon of, then not finish. (I've literally done that with 4 Tales games...)
There must be a FAQ on GameFAQs for this by now...

Edit: Yeah, pick Kurusu's FAQ. It seems to give pretty good directions. I used a JP wiki for it, but this one's good too.

BassForever said:
No it's not, it's not even close, go watch some gameplay of Arc Rise Fantasia before you say this is "over the top bad"
But Arc Rise Fantasia's gameplay is good! The VA is just bad.

scy said:
It's more the lack of comboing and the damage he'd put out during it. Inevitably someone would die and the few seconds lost would be enough. It was frustrating. I didn't really B-Arte spam properly then, though, so maybe it'd be different now...
Just wait until you play Xillia. Bosses break out of combos after 7 hits and have the capacity to heal themselves unless you steal their stuff.

Too bad you can't unlock the hardest difficulty like you could in Graces, though (you have to beat the game). After levelling the shops somewhat, bosses became a little easier than they should've been.

It's not too good for Gald if I remember though :( And Zavert is good stuff. I did the grinding, though, on the Glacier path later, though. Small area with a Turtlez at both ends and ~4-5 shiny spawns. Even worked out for the amount of mixer energy I had so that I could go one way and use up about 50% of my energy with Book of Striking and food. Good stuff.
No, that dungeon's horrible for Gald! Good for SP, bad for Gald.

But Zavhert is wonderful at that point in the game.

I wish it were more possible or convenient to cast and schedule some of the central/east coast VA's that do the Funimation/ADV dubs. I have a guy in mind that I think would be perfect for Asbel, but oh well. I'm not sure how the process works, but since I rarely see those guys voice games I'm guessing it would be a pain to get them on board.

I like Hubert's voice. Nuff said. Malik took a little getting used to, but I think it worked out. Really liked Malik's background story too. Didn't like Richard. Sorry, Vincent. Disagree with Laura's casting as Cheria. Pascal is Kate Higgins? Not a bad job. Helped that the character has a more entertaining personality compared to the rest of the cast.

Bryce as Asbel took gettting used to as well. Some of the dramatic moments I think Bryce didn't do a good job in selling it. Sounded forced and unnatural. Don't know if I should blame him too much though, because the writing, especially near the end of the main game, wasn't all that good. Lack of facial expressions on the characters doesn't help those angry moments either.

Enough complaining from me. I'm having fun with the game. Just need to finish the F arc now. Over 80 hours clocked right now. I think I'm burning through this pretty slowly. Still got Kid Icarus waiting on deck, and Xenoblade is coming up.

scy

Just wait until you play Xillia. Bosses break out of combos after 7 hits and have the capacity to heal themselves unless you steal their stuff.

Barring the healing, some Graces bosses seem to do this. Or maybe some A-Artes don't actually combo. I drop a lot of combos on bosses that I just can't figure out why short of boss voodoo magic
or I need to lrn2play

Too bad you can't unlock the hardest difficulty like you could in Graces, though (you have to beat the game). After levelling the shops somewhat, bosses became a little easier than they should've been.

Maaaaan, I'm having a blast on Graces Chaos. It's not hard enough to warrant a NG+ playthrough with all the bonuses to carry over. Is Xillia's extra difficulties at least "oh shit" levels of stuff to warrant it?

Kudos to you guys playing on Chaos. Wow. I've had a very hard time getting through hard. Now I got some good nice new weapons. Guess I should dualize like A LOT. Like +50 or however high you can go. Maybe the lack of doing that has been my problem. Two of the bosses were an epic pain --
kurt and emeraude
. Used an all-divide on the last boss in the main game too. I'm impatient and wanted to see the scenes after the fight. Every other fight went well eventually and was very satisfying when I finally won.

Top Bottom