• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces f is the first step in the “Tales of series Remaster Project” that will revamp older titles for comfortable playing on modern consoles

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
20240828-36112.jpg

Bandai Namco Entertainment announced Tales of Graces f Remastered on August 27. This is the starting point of the company’s newly revealed “Tales of series Remaster Project” that aims to bring older titles in the series to new platforms and players.

Along with the announcement, the Tales of IP’s general producer Yusuke Tomizawa released a video message in which he expressed gratitude to fans. He talks about how the Tales of series will celebrate its 30th anniversary in December this year, as Tales of Fantasia, the first title in the series, was released on December 15, 1995.

The Tales of series Remaster Project is a part of this anniversary celebration – and Tales of Graces f Remastered, which was announced in August 27th‘s Nintendo Direct, will revamp 2010’s Tales of Graces f. The remastered version is set to launch on the PS4/PS5, Xbox One/Xbox Series X|S and Nintendo Switch on January 16 and on PC (Steam) on January 17, 2025.
The Remastered Project aims to bring older Tales of titles back in a way that can be enjoyed by both old and new players. The remastered versions will make certain QOL adjustments to make gameplay smoother and more comfortable. For example, the series’ well-known Grade Shop will be made available from the start.

In addition, it’s been confirmed that Tales of Graces f Remastered will add functions like auto-save, various skip options, and on/off toggles for enemy encounters.
Apart from The Remaster Project, there’s also something listed as “Coming Soon” on the official website dedicated to Tales of series 30th anniversary, so fans can probably look forward to more announcements to follow.

On that note, it was hinted by Bandai Namco at a recent shareholder meeting that there are plans for a new entry to the Tales of series, and producer Tomizawa has in the past commented “if there is no new title for the 30th anniversary, I will not have fulfilled my responsibility towards the series.”

Madjaba

What an amazing news.

I hope that we'll see the 2D games that never left Japan like Destiny DC or Rebirth.

And an Abyss Remaster of course !

The Graces f trailer had the Destiny costume so maybe we can hope for it.

In any case, 2024 has some big JRPGs coming and 2025 seems to be the same.

Damn we're now far from the time where JRPGs never left Japan and in the better case US with region locked consoles...

And I'm not even talking about dual audio...

I'm so happy :)

Last edited:

Hyet

Neo Member
I'm so excited for this, really hope we see more of their plans at TGA or in a dedicated stream in December.

As for what I wish for, Tales of Destiny DC, Tales of Destiny 2 and Tales of Rebirth are just what I think should be just right. But knowing them they'll probably skip the later two on favor of Xillia (maybe with 2?) or Abyss.

A Phantasia Narikiri Dungeon Remaster or a full on remake would aso be high on the cards but I don't think they can do all that much knowing the next installment has to be also in development. I honestly have high hopes for the (amount of) remasters. Not so much for the new entry tho. Arise really didn't convince me as a good direction for the series on so many levels, but I'll surely keep an eye on it when they introduce it.

Sooner

I hope they revamp the trophies too. 50+ hour RPGs really shouldn't require multiple full playthroughs and missable trophies or require online guides because you need 100% of the treasure boxes in the game with no way to track them.

Last edited:

Doom85

Lets Go Wow GIF by FaZe Clan

Been waiting for Abyss to hit modern systems, my personal favorite of the series. Also would love the PS1 games to get remastered as I never got to play those.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
They did pretty dirty with Tales of Symphonia, so please do things right this time.
That's what has me worried - if you're going to remaster a game, be sure and do it right. Especially for PC releases, don't make people go out and download unofficial patches and mods that fix your shitty code.

Paltheos

Finally. Cool. Graces may be on the ugly side and it may be as dumb as bricks, but Tales has never topped how fucking awesome its combat system is. Every iteration since then has just been a worse copy of Graces that tweaks some element or another for the worse. QOL updates are much welcomed.

Well.. Zestiria needs a remake and not a remaster, tbh.

Dunking on Zestiria is a popular pastime but count me in the minority that really, really likes the game. It's colorful, it's cheery, it's attractive (when fps is uncapped), and it's a fun take on an Arthurian tale with an unconventional (for Tales) party. Its real flaws are undeniable - A gear upgrade system you need a degree in to use effectively, and a non-instanced area battle system that wasn't fully cooked resulting in height difference and camera issues in combat - But the rest of the complaints aren't so concretely universal. Complaints about the villain being underwhelming miss the point of this being a happy adventure and a heroic tale at its core. I don't think it nails everything either - It's a Tales game so it's gonna fumble the ball, but I loved my time with it overall. Probably top 3 in the series for me.

That's what has me worried - if you're going to remaster a game, be sure and do it right. Especially for PC releases, don't make people go out and download unofficial patches and mods that fix your shitty code.

Talking out of my ass here, but I think the problem was that a lot of the core changes to the game were made to Symphonia's PS2 port. How that forever trapped the Bamco team to 30 fps versions of the game is beyond my understanding, and some of the shoddy work I've seen from screenshots (mixing button displays across different types of controllers on the status screen is the worst - how the fuck did that make it past QC) makes me wonder if the porting team wasn't quite up to snuff.

The Saint

Neo Member
I would love to be able to play the titles from the PS1 and PS2 era as well as also getting rereleases of Xillia 1 and 2.

IAmRei

i wish there is tales of destiny 2 ( tales of eternia ) remake in full 3D, or remastered in higher resolution. that my first and one of the best Tales for me

Hudo

Finally. Cool. Graces may be on the ugly side and it may be as dumb as bricks, but Tales has never topped how fucking awesome its combat system is. Every iteration since then has just been a worse copy of Graces that tweaks some element or another for the worse. QOL updates are much welcomed.

Dunking on Zestiria is a popular pastime but count me in the minority that really, really likes the game. It's colorful, it's cheery, it's attractive (when fps is uncapped), and it's a fun take on an Arthurian tale with an unconventional (for Tales) party. Its real flaws are undeniable - A gear upgrade system you need a degree in to use effectively, and a non-instanced area battle system that wasn't fully cooked resulting in height difference and camera issues in combat - But the rest of the complaints aren't so concretely universal. Complaints about the villain being underwhelming miss the point of this being a happy adventure and a heroic tale at its core. I don't think it nails everything either - It's a Tales game so it's gonna fumble the ball, but I loved my time with it overall. Probably top 3 in the series for me.

Talking out of my ass here, but I think the problem was that a lot of the core changes to the game were made to Symphonia's PS2 port. How that forever trapped the Bamco team to 30 fps versions of the game is beyond my understanding, and some of the shoddy work I've seen from screenshots (mixing button displays across different types of controllers on the status screen is the worst - how the fuck did that make it past QC) makes me wonder if the porting team wasn't quite up to snuff.
Hey, I do like Zestiria as well, actually. That's why I want them to remake it. I would also place it in the top 3.

Doom85

But we already got a modern remaster!

WTEiqA2.png

:messenger_winking_tongue:

Sarcastic George Costanza GIF

Don’t get me wrong, it was at least a nice alternative to the PS2 version even if the latter was the superior experience (though IIRC the 3DS version loaded much faster), but yeah we definitely need a new console version.

Ultros

Have devs completely lost all creativity. Because I swear so many games are remasters lately. Graces F was a fine game though, I really enjoyed it on PS3(still have my copy)

Ultros

Xillia, And Abyss please!

And not Tales, but please do Eternal Sonata too, Bamco.
I have my PS3 copy. But I would gladly buy a remaster again, I replayed it last year again and love it as much as the day I bought it. Only wished the game was text only because Polka's VA can get on your nerves after a while. But it was such an amazing concept and many of the Chopin compositions were absolutely beautifully recorded for the game

GateofD

Neo Member
Tales of Graces F is probably my favorite Tales game. And loved the story. Cried a few times too. Pascal is great and love her. And like I'm not that big into the combat system, sure I engage in it, but I definitely don't master the combat system each game and finish all the optional trials and just make the pass to beat the game story (and for the more recent ones, it was all 90% just spamming one attack) Tales of Graces F combo system I actually understood and felt I was actually in control of what I wanted to do.

I also never had a chance with Abyss or Vesperia. So another port or cycle of remaster for them would fir my Tales experience gap.

Hyet

Neo Member
While I agree Zestiria need a full reimagination to realize it full potential I don't think it's the most urgent task given it and ToB have both PC versions and cam be played on PS5 through BC... And specially for how long the west has been missing seminal games such as Tales of Destiny DC and ToD2 or highly rated departures like ToR.

What could really also work wonders would be a UE remake of Abyss with more interesting team destiny like systems. If they could execute on that and market it properly the series would get a ton more eyes and respect on it.

Regardless I think they really have to knock it out of the park with the next installment. I think many of the long term fans were not happy with it and casted a lot of doubt in the series going forward.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Zesteria and Berseria are pretty recent all things considered, I don't think they need any attention other than a 4K/60 re-release.
True if any need any sort of attention for modern devices or consoles it'll be either Tales of Innocence, Hearts or Tempest.

And Tempest suuuuuuucked.

----------

For next installment I'd prefer a true to form Tales game. Never liked how Arise was handled. And the Teams were merged long ago but the fast paced Blast Caliber system from the likes of Destiny, Rebirth, Graces has always been the best.

Team Symphonia with the Mystic Art system has always been the slower style of combat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom