• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Hearts R |OT| With Our Vitas Combined

Pbae

I've been trying to level up all my character's Soma evenly to get the bonuses. Am I doing it wrong?

Also, is there anything that I can miss that I can't go back for?

I've been trying to level up all my character's Soma evenly to get the bonuses. Am I doing it wrong?

Once they all reach a certain level, you end up getting a bonus. You will know because a animation will trigger.

Bladenic

Not wrong, but I usually focus on their personal stats and either Fight or Belief if they're a fighter or Mage. Generally I targèt the useful artes/spells, like the healing spells for Hisui and Kohaku.

Help me please, I downloaded and installed it, but when I go to select it fr the menu I only have the default? Is there a certain point in the game where it unlocks further?

Zankou

Got my copy today.

I just played for 30 minutes and it feels great. The menu design is wonderful and the german subtitles are very good so far.

RalchAC

Like what was said above, it's not much, just the controls in different languages but it's still a nice filler for the inside of the case :)

Does it give you 1000p of those Bamco points they give with their games. I want the Xillia 2 art book they give for 9000 points. Sadly, I think I have like 4000 points and it's going to disappear before I can get it :(

Default. Free run with the stick took some getting used to, but now I kinda prefer it.

Can you expand a little on that, sounds interesting but I can't play my copy yet. And I'm afraid I won't be able to play it until Sunday (or Monday...)

With the default control you run left and right with the dpad and run around the 3d space with the left analog stick. You can switch it up so that in order to free roam the battle field you hold in L + analog stick. Which is what I use since it feels more natural in conjunction with other tales games.

kewlmyc

Can you expand a little on that, sounds interesting but I can't play my copy yet. And I'm afraid I won't be able to play it until Sunday (or Monday...)

AkelisRain sums it up pretty nicely. It takes some getting used to, but I'm pulling off combos much easier than most Tales games since I can use the directional pad for attacks (never liked using the analog stick for fighting games, and Tales kinda plays like one).

Also, does anyone know how raising character bonds works? It's just randomly happening in battle. Unlike Xillia, there isn't a link system so I'm not sure how I keep raising the bonds with everyone.

Stuart444

AkelisRain sums it up pretty nicely. It takes some getting used to, but I'm pulling off combos much easier than most Tales games since I can use the directional pad for attacks (never liked using the analog stick for fighting games, and Tales kinda plays like one).

Also, does anyone know how raising character bonds works? It's just randomly happening in battle. Unlike Xillia, there isn't a link system so I'm not sure how I keep raising the bonds with everyone.

I think you just fight while they are in your party. That and skits where you get choices seem to do it. I'm guessing there is an NG+ grade shop option which carries it over so any that aren't maxed out can continue growing using those choices in future playthroughs.

RalchAC

Ah, okay. So basically D-Pad = Normal movement and the Left Stick = Free Running, right?

Vita D-Pad is awesome so that makes me happy. Was wondering how would they solve that problem.

About twelve hours in and by far my favorite Tales game since Symphonia. Cast is all likable with the exception of maybe Hisui or Ines, depending on the situation. Combat is super fun and air combos never get old.Story is pretty interesting, I guess, but I'm having so much fun I don't really care either way.

Only negative would be that I'm playing on the Vita TV and doing the super combination moves with the touch is a huge huge huuuge hassle. But other than that it looks amazing and plays great, one of my favorite games of the year so far.

Also, Type B for life.

Stuart444

Ah, okay. So basically D-Pad = Normal movement and the Left Stick = Free Running, right?

Vita D-Pad is awesome so that makes me happy. Was wondering how would they solve that problem.

Well there is two controls types (Type A, the default and Type B)

Type B is Dpad for your gauge at the left (Overlimit in other games, forget what it is in this, TC gauge?), L + left Stick to free run and Left stick for artes/normal movement.

Basically Type A is Hearts Rs default and Type B is similar to the normal console titles.

Also this game feels very Destiny esque to me and I think that's why I like it so much.

I just got Ines in my party, giving it a break until tomorrow. Enjoying it immensely though and I'm glad to see there is a lot of positivity around it compared to when it was first revealed that it was going to be localized.

Seda

Interesting to see a lot of positivity in here when I didn't think much of the game at all. It's always great to see other viewpoints.

I plan on coming back for some post-game stuff soonish, though. Extra content like that has turned my opinion around before.

Maybe Tales is losing me, or I'm turning into Dark Schala.

kewlmyc

Interesting to see a lot of positivity in here when I didn't think much of the game at all. It's always great to see other viewpoints.

I plan on coming back for some post-game stuff soonish, though. Extra content like that has turned my opinion around before.

I don't have much exposure to any of the 2D Tales games or any Tales game not released in the US, so that could be why I'm liking it so much. If I played the original Hearts, my opinion would probably be different.

Seda

I don't have much exposure to any of the 2D Tales games or any Tales game not released in the US, so that could be why I'm liking it so much. If I played the original Hearts, my opinion would probably be different.

I'll just note that I haven't played Hearts DS either.

I really loved the first few moments when Shing and Kohaku met. It was funny and cute. So far the characters are interesting imo. I am enjoying every bit so far.

Seda

Sorry, must have had you confused with someone else.

No need to apologize, just wanted throw that clarification in.

I'll perhaps go into more thoughts when the game has been out longer, but for me ToHR felt like a late-2000 era Tri-Ace action RPG that I never cared too much for.

Bladenic

No need to apologize, just wanted throw that clarification in.

I'll perhaps go into more thoughts when the game has been out longer, but for me ToHR felt like a late-2000 era Tri-Ace action RPG that I never cared too much for.

Oh God, I can see why you'd dislike the game then if that's the impression it gave you. Thank goodness it doesn't give me that impression, because then I would hate it too.

Anyway, Kohaku's miso obsession is pretty funny, though I don't know that it was in the original Hearts.

kewlmyc

This might be the first time I've ever not had the main character in my main party. Everyone else is just so much fun to use. I'm loving using Gall.

Seda

A more positive note, my favorite battle theme is this one, which I think is the third main regular theme used (it's a remix of one of the DS ones)

It reminds me of Tales of Phantasia / Valkyrie Profile era Sakuraba ... sorta.

So, I made a huge mistake and didn't realize it because I am dumb.

You can buy cooking recipes from the vendor that sells the strategy for the party! >< Sorry if I am just dumb, maybe someone else over looked it. Also, you can equip the weapons you get from upgrading your SOMA. -_- I have been a weak bastard because I didn't realize this.

A more positive note, my favorite battle theme is this one, which I think is the third main regular theme used (it's a remix of one of the DS ones)

It reminds me of Tales of Phantasia / Valkyrie Profile era Sakuraba ... sorta.

This is great, ToP was the first Tales for me. Great times. This track also reminds me of Golden Sun for some reason as well.

Interesting. The only other Tales title I've actually played Symphonia, so maybe that factors into my enjoyment so far.

For me, it feels like the first time I've actually played a classic JRPG on the Vita, as odd as that is. Ys, Persona and other titles are great, but this takes me back to JRPG roots even if the battle system is quite a bit different from a classic system. The game is oddly nostalgia inducing.

nikos

Any tips on how to spec my party's somas? Is it possible to respec later? Playing on Easy, for the story, so I'm not sure if it really matters. :eek:

Bladenic

Any tips on how to spec my party's somas? Is it possible to respec later? Playing on Easy, for the story, so I'm not sure if it really matters. :eek:

lol if you're playing on easy you can just press the attack button repeatedly and be fine

Wagram

Welp I tried to purchase this from Gamestop today but of course a problem had to occur. It's Gamestop after all! They tried to pull that new-used B.S. with me again so I told him to keep it and walked out. Seriously, selling games that are not in factory wrap is used and should be sold at a price that suits it.

Shouta

Got my copy and loaded it up on my Vita TV. Looks about as I expected, lol. It's nice having it on my TV and playing it on a pad though.

kewlmyc

Got my copy and loaded it up on my Vita TV. Looks about as I expected, lol. It's nice having it on my TV and playing it on a pad though.

Playing on the PSTV is great. The only downside is you won't be able to really pull of Cross Chase Charge, which they introduce about 5 hours into the game. Doesn't break the game, but it's still something.

Shouta

Playing on the PSTV is great. The only downside is you won't be able to really pull of Cross Chase Charge, which they introduce about 5 hours into the game. Doesn't break the game, but it's still something.

That's when I can switch to my Vita. =P

Protag

Banned
Oh I haven't seen that pic! All I can say for sure (someone else might know) is that the last line of pictures (swimsuit) can be bought for $16. In the second line of pictures (throwback costumes), 6 of 8 of those costumes were part of the preorder DLC for the game.

Awesome thanks ortho

That's just DLC. These are the in-game ones.
http://i.imgur.com/tXQyTCB.jpg

I love pretty much all those designs, soecially shings left one.

MSMrRound

Just got my copy. Any tips on how should I go about starting my combos? (E.g can't figure out how to get a aerial combo started...)

romulus91

for any one that knows..... are the different type of somas type set? I.e if i build a healer is it better to just focus on one ore multiple? im so confused as to which sona names correlate to roles haha im loving it so far though :)

are some characters fit for certain somas or is everyone blank state?

Haven't had that much time (been busy with a work project I'm the lead developer on and been stuck in my 100% second run of Ar nosurge), but I did get a chance to play a little of the game last night (got done with the scene where you can start exploring Kor's hometown).

Graphics aren't super detailed but they're stylized nicely enough. Had to switch the controls to the alternate style that's more like the console games, my hands would never work using the default method that's for sure.

Some of the lines in the opening scene were pretty amusing. Pretty sure they expected this game to get an English dub based off what I've seen so far. Not a big fan of Japanese voices but there's nothing obnoxious that's made me want to disable them yet.

Stuart444

Just got my copy. Any tips on how should I go about starting my combos? (E.g can't figure out how to get a aerial combo started...)

I just hit with my Sword and weave my artes inbetween or at the end. (or sometimes just use my artes several times in a row cause why not).

Once you unlock the chase system, on some enemies (some die too fast for this), you can 'break them' and then send them up into the sky, using the chase system, you can teleport up to where they are and just go at them.

It's amazing fun, especially on bosses so far.

There is also a great move for Kor (forget what it is) that allows you to go up in a diagonal way and if you keep hitting the arte button (it's one of the right stick shortcuts for me) then you can basically send the enemy up until the counter reaches 0 (the number that is similar to the AC system in Xillia) or until your TP reaches 0 lol.

Combat is great fun.

Oh nice Amazon delivered the game a few minutes ago.
Didn't think the postal services would come on a Saturday.

I still have Tales of Innocence R to complete but I'll begin Hearts R regardless.

MSMrRound

B2e7LLoCIAAJJLn.jpg:large

Bwahaha. I'm liking Shing/Kor more and more. Leg bros unite.

Top Bottom