• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Hearts R |OT| With Our Vitas Combined

fates

B2SNXl0CMAE_0BQ.jpg

R3 (Asian) copies of Tales of Hearts R seems to have

More copies in that box than copies that exist in North America.

Man, Kor is such as wuss. And I don't like the new character, Gall. When he hit Kohaku, I would've totally kicked his teeth in, but the party was like "OH MY GOSH, HE'S SO COOL."

Gimme a break. :(

kewlmyc

I keep seeing that Kor's bond has strengthen with people in the cast. Is it like Symphonia where it changes the ending or something? What's the purpose of Kor having better bonds with the cast?

kewlmyc

Playing on the PSTV, but holy crap you can't Cross Chase Charge on it and I can't find if there's some sort of replacement for it on the controller. That's a deal breaker right there. Switching back to the Vita.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I want to pick this up since I only finished Xilla 2 a couple months ago but don't people refer to this game as the worst Tales? I've played all the 3D Tales except for Abyss. How do you guys feel Hearts stacks up?

I want to pick this up since I only finished Xilla 2 a couple months ago but don't people refer to this game as the worst Tales? I've played all the 3D Tales except for Abyss. How do you guys feel Hearts stacks up?
The worst game is almost universally thought to be Tempest.

This is generally regarded as a middling entry.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
The worst game is almost universally thought to be Tempest.

This is generally regarded as a middling entry.

Hmmm, I see.

I'll probably shove it into my backlog since I'm 40 hours into Xenoblade anyway and plan to start Valkyria Chronicles when I'm done.

Pancakes

If you're a Tales fan then I think this is definitely worth your time.

I am a Tales fan but I don't want another Graces situation. The gameplay was fun but I hated the characters so much that I had to begrudgingly slog through the game waiting for it to get better. It never did.

kubricks

I am hesitating whether to get this.
I played the original DS Tales of Hearts and love every bits of it, story is good and 2D combo I really dig.

Do want to experience this game again (i English!) but is the 3D version any good? How's the combat feels overall? Will this ruin my fond memory of the original?

Bladenic

Alright has anyone found the perfect Mage strategy because if Kohaku doesn't stop running up to a boss to smack it when I have to use Will Only and tried every option beside Heal cuz I want her to nuke shit, I might go crazy.

I am a Tales fan but I don't want another Graces situation. The gameplay was fun but I hated the characters so much that I had to begrudgingly slog through the game waiting for it to get better. It never did.
Well I have no idea how you'll react to this group.

Asbel was a giant flop IMO, but in general I liked the rest of the cast of Graces, and the gameplay was phenomenal so I enjoyed it a lot. I guess you'll just have to play this and find out for yourself.

Pancakes

Well I have no idea how you'll react to this group.

Asbel was a giant flop IMO, but in general I liked the rest of the cast of Graces, and the gameplay was phenomenal so I enjoyed it a lot. I guess you'll just have to play this and find out for yourself.

Yea probably. I will try to pick it up on sale next year sometime.

Alright has anyone found the perfect Mage strategy because if Kohaku doesn't stop running up to a boss to smack it when I have to use Will Only and tried every option beside Heal cuz I want her to nuke shit, I might go crazy.
If you or someone else figure out the answer, I too want to know.

I've actually been having a lot of difficulties with strategy. It seemed like a great thing in theory, but I've noticed the characters don't seem to pay much attention to the specific commands I've built for them. Hisui in particular likes to do his own thing during boss battles, despite commands specifically telling him to heal when people are under 50%

Bladenic

Thing is I have Hisui to Heal and he's pretty much perfect, although I have noticed an version to Nurse over First Aid so far but it hasn't been an issue yet. Beryl also prefers spells and I have her set to Fire Power and Will Only. Kohaku still likes running up to enemies far too often on that setting.

I need Omega to share his secrets, videos I've seen of his (of this game and others) always have the AI act perfectly lmao

Edit: whatever you do, when you get a skit about a wanted poster, make sure to choose the option "Read it out loud" or something like that. Hilarious.

Jathaine

As for the AI complaints, buy everything from the book stores because there's a FFXII-gambit-like system in this game that you can use to change character behaviors/priority.

Make sure to press triangle on the Strategy menu to access it.

As for the AI complaints, buy everything from the book stores because there's a FFXII-gambit-like system in this game that you can use to change character behaviors/priority.

Make sure to press triangle on the Strategy menu to access it.
Yeah, I ended up figuring out what was wrong. I didn't have "target HP <50%" so he was actually set to only heal people when he was under 50%. Working just fine now.

Usobuko

Banned
B2SNXl0CMAE_0BQ.jpg

R3 (Asian) copies of Tales of Hearts R seems to have

Voice: English
Subtitle: English etc written on them.

Is anyone playing the Asian English edition of Tales of Hearts R right now? Can anyone confirm if the voices are in Japanese or is it just a misprint?

You literally save the game for me.

If I buy a game, I expect being able to purchase the dlc and a r3 version is perfect.

khaaan

Man, Kor is such as wuss. And I don't like the new character, Gall. When he hit Kohaku, I would've totally kicked his teeth in, but the party was like "OH MY GOSH, HE'S SO COOL."

Gimme a break. :(

For the most part I've been okay with his personality, probably because I'm not taking the story or characters very seriously. I haven't gotten that far yet but the one thing that did bother me a little is how Kor just took the way Hisui was treating him even though he himself had plenty of reasons to act the opposite. I guess at least they're making sure the character is consistently silly.

matmanx1

Sort of pleased we are already 8 pages in to the OT for this game. Me and my friend pre-ordered from our local GS and picked up the game yesterday. I think they only got 1 or 2 copies over the 2 that we had pre-ordered.

My problem at this point is the backlog. I like Tales games and especially on portable systems. But it might be a while before I really crack in to this one. Still, it is great to have another Tales game in the West, and especially a portable one!

nampad

Just started the game and the battle system seems so weird with its mix of 2D and 3D and 2 different ways to move. I wish it would be just 3D. Hope I can get used to it.

The game looks much better on my Vita than in the shots I have seen.

Tohsaka

I've enjoyed the 3 hours or so I've spent on the game so far, but are the battles supposed to be 60FPS? I've only used it on my PSTV (haven't tried it on my actual Vita yet) and the framerate in battle doesn't feel like it's 60FPS. It might just be because of the animations or something, I'll try playing it on my Vita later to see if I notice a difference.

khaaan

Just started the game and the battle system seems so weird with its mix of 2D and 3D and 2 different ways to move. I wish it would be just 3D. Hope I can get used to it.

The game looks much better on my Vita than in the shots I have seen.

I think my problem is more with the fact that they're on different inputs. In other Tales games free run was initiated by holding down a shoulder button and not by switching between the d-pad and analog stick.

Edit:
So where do I buy a new 30$ game? Why wouldn't Amazon have new copies?

The physical release is Gamestop exclusive but you can also get it from the Namco store. There's also digital if you have the memory card space.

Holmes

I think my problem is more with the fact that they're on different inputs. In other Tales games free run was initiated by holding down a shoulder button and not by switching between the d-pad and analog stick.

Edit:

The physical release is Gamestop exclusive but you can also get it from the Namco store. There's also digital if you have the memory card space.
Go to options to change the control scheme in battle.

Edit:

Gamestop Exclusive man. Also on the Bamco site, I hear.
Thanks boyos.

because reading the op causes cancer apparently
post-44145-Sansa-Slaps-Robin--Talk-Shit-G-JEAQ.gif

itschris

There's actually a setting to do just that! It's under Options -> Battle Movement -> Type B. Then you use the left analog stick to move and hold L to free run.

nampad

Edit:

There's actually a setting to do just that! It's under Options -> Battle Movement -> Type B. Then you use the left analog stick to move and hold L to free run.

Yeah, I changed the controls right away, still feels off though. Wished it would be just the usual control scheme we see in games today with jumping on X etc.

Are you asking to be slapped by the op because you shit all over the work that was put into it
Are you pretending to be play dumb for no reason? I thought there was some issue with Amazon and it wouldn't be added to the OP. The fact that you're so uptight over such a meaningless comment is fucking hilarious.

khaaan

Go to options to change the control scheme in battle.

Yeah, I changed the controls right away, still feels off though. Wished it would be just the usual control scheme we see in games today with jumping on X etc.

Nice, I was in the process of getting accustomed to the default control scheme but this makes things so much easier.

I really hope the game sells well enough to get more Vita Tales.

Bladenic

I've reached the point in the game where everything clicks and I'm owning shit. Shing/Kohaku/Hisui/Kunzite best party. Kunzite is like amazing even with AI, an insane combo machine.

That said I did experience my first loss against
Chalcedony, Peridot, and Pyrox
. Got them second try but it was basically abusing over limit and spamming Nurse. Being good with countering helps too.

Nice, I was in the process of getting accustomed to the default control scheme but this makes things so much easier.

I really hope the game sells well enough to get more Vita Tales.

I think the best we can hope for is Innocence R getting a similarly cheap localization. Innocence R hit Japan in 2012, Hearts R was 2013. 2014 had nothing. Probably for the best, anyway. Not sure the world is ready for Tempest R.

Bladenic

I think the best we can hope for is Innocence R getting a similarly cheap localization. Innocence R hit Japan in 2012, Hearts R was 2013. 2014 had nothing. Probably for the best, anyway. Not sure the world is ready for Tempest R.

Tempest R surely won't happen because neither Rs sold that well and Tempest R would require the most work to actually make it into a even remotely playable game.

khaaan

I'm a little more optimistic and clinging onto the hope that a new Tales of the World
is a possibility along with Innocence R. An original main line-ish entry on the Vita is a pipe dream though.

Tempest R surely won't happen because neither Rs sold that well and Tempest R would require the most work to actually make it into a even remotely playable game.

Well Baba did say in an interview at one point that Tempest R was something they had discussed but had 'no plans for', although I doubt if it came out it probably wouldn't be Vita exclusive, maybe PSV/3/4 like all of those games that were announced at TGS.

Then again, that would probably not happen either since no Tales has launched on more than one platform at once, although I guess it could be a first.

Top Bottom