• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Stuart444

Early in the year releases used to be limited to spin offs though. All major Tales games (in Japan) so far have been released between August and December.

I know, I just remembered hearing a month ago or something that this was still a ways off which makes me assume early in the year.

But we'll find out for sure next month :D.

And then the western release in the middle of next year :p

Currently playing through my first Tales game, and it's Abyss on the 3ds. 10+ hours in and all I can think about is how much I loathe the MC. Luckily I'm enjoying everything else (except the world map, seems really bland so far).

Kings fan

Terrible character and horrible character development in my opinion. They tried redeeming him towards the second half but did a poor job imo.

Don't know if it was due to poor translation but the game was a real drag to the end with sparkles of fun. Gameplay was your standard Tales fun which sort of made up for the convoluted story, but I'd probably give the game as a whole a 7/10 (good). Not nearly as a good experience as I had with Symphonia, although I admit I did play that 10 years ago and it was my first Tales game so I could have the nostalgia goggles.

My experience with Abyss is why I'm hesitant to buy Graces F digitally ($10 on sale) because I've heard there are story issues with that game as well. I do own the game physically but don't think it will be worth the double dip like I have with vesperia, symphonia, and xillia.

Hachitora

My experience with Abyss is why I'm hesitant to buy Graces F digitally ($10 on sale) because I've heard there are story issues with that game as well. I do own the game physically but don't think it will be worth the double dip like I have with vesperia, symphonia, and xillia.
Graces F's story is pretty meh, but the gameplay is really good imo. Kinda redeems the boring story

Droplet

My friend went to Akihabara recently and bought me a Teepo plush for my birthday. Figured the bag was pretty cute so I'm sharing it.

eZHPr0C.jpg

Phantasia, Xillia, Symphonia, Destiny 1/2, Innocence, Abyss, Xillia 1
I8wZUtA.jpg

Xillia 2, Eternia, Vesperia, Graces
ULsnY2x.jpg

Bonus Teepo! Still in the packaging for now.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
About to hit Act 3 of Xillia 1 and am adoring that game. Has some issues, but overall I am just addicted and keep wanting to press on. Very likely I'll snag Xillia 2 soon after it concludes.

Bought Graces f on the flash sale as well because $10. Not sure I'll play it anytime soon given Xillia will likely burn me out, but I did load it up out of curiosity. So weird to go back to chibi-ish models and the combat is different from any other game in the franchise! No dedicated artes button? 'Up' moves you toward enemies? No TP but you gain CC by dodging? Just awkward coming off Xillia.

I will say though, it is always refreshing to see a Tales game boot up with its myriad of bright colors and soothing music. Graces f may have pissed off a lot of people, but I still just really dig the overall tone and look of these games.

Razlo

I will say though, it is always refreshing to see a Tales game boot up with its myriad of bright colors and soothing music. Graces f may have pissed off a lot of people, but I still just really dig the overall tone and look of these games.

I totally agree, Tales games just put a huge smile on my face while I'm playing. I love all the colors and the fun characters.

Holmes

Oh my god. I'm gonna die. So I decide to play the waiter mini-game in my Vesperia PS3 playthrough to get it over with. Yeah. As if having to write down the orders in Japanese and figuring out if the customers are adding to their order or cancelling their previous order, you also have to deal with this shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4UNcKdfFt0

Luckily I only have two more rounds to go. Unfortunately, they're Raven's final two rounds. Ugh. Horrible.

Seda

Oh my god. I'm gonna die. So I decide to play the waiter mini-game in my Vesperia PS3 playthrough to get it over with. Yeah. As if having to write down the orders in Japanese and figuring out if the customers are adding to their order or cancelling their previous order, you also have to deal with this shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4UNcKdfFt0

Luckily I only have two more rounds to go. Unfortunately, they're Raven's final two rounds. Ugh. Horrible.

Haha I remember doing that. D:

Holmes

I did it! The nightmare is over. :'(

We are now waiter brethren, Seda.

edit: The only costume I like is Judith's. But I never want to take them off because they were such a pain to get. :/

Rhapsody

Banned
People, would you say Xillia 1 is better than Graces f? Thanks in anticipation if someone sees this

You'll get different answers on this one. For me, I think Graces beats Xillia through battles, dungeons, fields, and content. Xillia beats it through music. As for story and characters, I liked Xillia's story a lot more than Graces. Characters are a mixed bag. I liked Graces's characters outside of the main story and within skits. Xillia's were all around better for me though.

SaintZ

People, would you say Xillia 1 is better than Graces f? Thanks in anticipation if someone sees this
Xillia has a better story and characters IMO.

I prefer Graces' battle system, weapon customization and I think the fields and dungeons are slightly better too.

Hachitora

I haven't played through much of Xillia, but I can say that from what I've played, the characters are more likable and the story seems like it'll be more interesting. It's combat isn't as good as Graces, but it's not too bad

Zankou

I say Graces f is overall the more enjoyable game because of its fast paced battle system and its well developed gameply mechanics. On top of that Graces f has a ton of content, amusing skits, and far better field maps (they're shorter and more linear but better designed, no endless stone walls).

For me that makes up for the weaker plot and characters. But I guess I am one of the few people who love that game >.>

Datschge

Just a little FYI: I mentioned before that I was assuming Higuchi working on the new Smash Bros games was one of the possible reasons why Tales Studio was dissolved, the staff was absorbed into Bandai Namco Studios and the "Team Symphonia" has gone missing. Well, with Smash Bros 3DS out the staff list confirms some of them to be credited there.

(But jeez, Smash Bros really achieved Asscred level of staff bloat there.)

Young Magus

Man why did I miss out on the Grace F flash sale? Really wanted to double dip but had no funds.

Game still goes for $30+ everywhere online. Is there another chance the game will go on sale again in the near future?

So i finally finished Tales of the Abyss for the first time... 55 hours completion time!

I liked it about as much as Symphonia (which i thought was pretty good) but why do Tales games have to be so LONG? I don't have as much gaming time as i used to so i really hope the newer ones i still want to play like Graces, Xilia etc. are shorter than that :(

Jucksalbe

Banned
I liked it about as much as Symphonia (which i thought was pretty good) but why do Tales games have to be so LONG? I don't have as much gaming time as i used to so i really hope the newer ones i still want to play like Graces, Xilia etc. are shorter than that :(

Xillia, at least, is shorter.

So I've been checking up on the Destiny Remake fan translation project about every 3-9 months for the past couple years (the project was announced in 2009). Today, I went to Phantasian Productions to see no updates about it. Hopes dashed yet again...

Then I go to Abs. Zero and learn that not only is the project rebooted, but it might actually be completed in the next several years. Woot woot! They even made some preview videos for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vhXKHcKjrY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Jafz9NorU

Now I feel optimistic and old.

Takes gaf I need your help in finding a song. I remember it being from a Tales game that was a crossover and even had recent characters like Jude and Millia. I'm pretty sure there were 2 characters form each game and the song is probably the OP. What game is it?

sakuori

TalesGAF, I need some recommendations. o/

I've only played two Tales of games, Legendia and Abyss. The last time I've played a Mothership Title was way back 2009.
I'd like to get back on the series but I don't know which to get first. I have a Vita and recently got a PS3
so so so late

So ummm... halp?

demidar

I've only played two Tales of games, Legendia and Abyss. The last time I've played a Mothership Title was way back 2009.
I'd like to get back on the series but I don't know which to get first. I have a Vita and recently got a PS3
so so so late

So ummm... halp?

Do you like gameplay? Play Graces f on PS3.

Do you like story and characters? Play Xillia 1 on PS3 (sorta, Xillia's story and characters are okay to good, depending on the person).

You want both? Can't help you there.
Vesperia PS3 lololololol

I don't know anything about Vita offerings so you'll have to wait for someone else to chime in.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member

so so so late

So ummm... halp?

If you can stand crappy last last gen graphics, and a battle system that pre-dates free run, I'd say get Tales of Symphonia Chronicles for PS3.

Tales of Symphonia is a good game and the interactions with the characters are enjoyable (plus you'll probably see a lot of the community does know of the game so you won't feel "left out" as it were). However as its battle system is what every Tales of battle system after Symphonia's is based on, it will feel lack luster in comparison to the battle system of another game.

It also comes with its sequel, ToS: Dawn of the New World, so it's two games for the price of one that's typically charged for the PS3. Although whether you like that is really personal preference.

So if you're okay with playing through a game that came out two gaming console gens again, and that is really shows, then go ahead and get Tales of Symphonia Chronicles first. Because it's better to go from this game to any other game with both updated and better graphics and battle system than the other way around.

Now, if you really can't take those crappy chibi graphics from two gaming console gens ago, I'm just gonna second what Demidar said.

There's also Tales of Xillia 2 which has recently been released to the NA region so you can finally get a game of that that's not in Japanese. I know people consider it to be better than Tales of Xillia, so take of that what you will.

And, even though this game is not out yet, Tales of Zestiria (also PS3) is set to come out next year in Japan. You may just want to follow up on any news about that game to see if you'd be interested in it when the game comes out.

As for the Vita, I'm not sure if you can download any of the Tales of PSP games on the Vita. If you can, I'm betting they can only be bought in Japan since I don't believe any of them were released outside of Japan. Other than that I haven't heard of any news for a new game to be released on the Vita, but I could be wrong.

Holmes

utS2Nns.png

I did it. Had to follow the script using the SomethingAwful playthrough, but my god was it worth it. Best Tales game ever.

aravuus

It says "TOV Master". You get that for 100% of the game if I recall.

Well, this is why I should not take my sweet time in replying on these forums: people post and make what I said seem irrelevant.

Taking your sweet time is better than replying with the first stupid thing that comes to your mind

Which is how I do it

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
Taking your sweet time is better than replying with the first stupid thing that comes to your mind

Which is how I do it

How true. Sadly, we all have those days, but it always turns out to be the day when you say the dumbest thing possible too.

Fortunately in this thread, simply adding "I lied, it's actually hot" makes all your posts seem brilliant.

Holmes

Haha. Anyway, I have some games to play in between, but my next Tales game is Dawn of the New World. I know it's a downgrade from Vesperia but I hope it's not too bad.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
Haha. Anyway, I have some games to play in between, but my next Tales game is Dawn of the New World. I know it's a downgrade from Vesperia but I hope it's not too bad.

Everything's a downgrade from Vesperia imo

Good luck with Dawn of the New World. If you can manage to not hate the main protags (because they seem to be a love them or hate them type of protags, there's never an in between) just don't think too hard about the main plot if you played the original Tales of Symphonia, and you should be able to get through it.

sakuori

Thanks for the feedback. I'm getting Symphonia Chronicles first and maybe Graces F after.

Too bad about Vesperia though, I guess I need to polish up my Japanese reading skills if I ever want to play that. 360 version is out of the question. ; A ;

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
Thanks for the feedback. I'm getting Symphonia Chronicles first and maybe Graces F after.

Too bad about Vesperia though, I guess I need to polish up my Japanese reading skills if I ever want to play that. 360 version is out of the question. ; A ;

You're welcome. I hope you enjoy getting back into the franchise~

As for Vesperia, there's a lot of good online translation guides for it. If you really want to play that game, you can always follow an online translation. Most people who've played it will tell you it's worth it. Plus this is one of the only two times you get to play a main character who is not 17.

Holmes

There's someone on SomethingAwful who's been doing a scripted playthrough of Vesperia with translated PS3 sidequests included. I csn PM you the google docs with the whole playthrough, and you can even download them. It's just missing a few sidequests but it's no big deal. And following that, along with Kouli'a guide, you should be more than set.

Necrovex

Bit the bullet and bought Xilla 2 on a whim from Amazon. Now I am getting super excited to play the better game in the Xillia series!

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
You could try Abyssal Chronicles. It's the only Tales fansite I know. Not sure it has a forum though.

I decided to check it out, and it was nice to see a place where recent information is being updated frequently about the Tales of series that isn't mixed in with other games. There really isn't many places like that on the internet as far as I've seen.

It does have a forum, although it's pretty much dead there.

sakuori

Yikes.
Went to AC's forum and it sure is a little dead than I last visited. Kinda' sad though, it was fairly active in the past few years.

LuuKyK

This drought of Zestiria news is annoying me a bit. I know there is not much else to show but some new footage would be welcome.

Falk

that puzzling face
Just wait, in 3 months people will be complaining about too much info/spoilers before the US release.

Always happens.

Top Bottom