• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
The battle system alone is reason enough to pick Graces F up. Everything else if pretty mediocre, but that's what Tales of is all about nowadays, right?

FSLink

Banned
Well... Graces has really great subsystems and a great UI, lol. I like the menus in that game over many in the series anyway.
I always felt that if you didn't play the series for mostly the combat you're better off with a different series anyway.

Shahed

My god the Temple of Darkness. Those 5 blasted spirit pieces are going to be the death of me. Why the hell don't they follow me, and why do the menaces get stuck everywhere? I had to quit playing since the frustration was getting to me. Who on earth thought this was a good idea?

HawthorneKitty

Got Undine and Efreet, and was wondering if I could get Sephie before the Tower of Regeneration. If not, then I'm ready for the tower.

Seems to be the
Flanoir Event
, going by the guides.
Thanks, and yes, you can get Sylph now.

Okay GAF, I need some help weighing my options. I ordered a CE from Amazon after they had them again but my order has no estimated ship date so I'm not sure if I'll actually end up getting it. However I've been looking on eBay and they might be more expensive, but I can get it soon.

Wait it out with Amazon and only pay $100 if they get it back in or go with eBay and pay $160?

What should I do GAF?

ohlawd

My god the Temple of Darkness. Those 5 blasted spirit pieces are going to be the death of me. Why the don't they follow me, and why do the menafes get stucj everywhere? I had to quit playing since the frustration was getting to me. Who on earth thought this was a good idea?
I bitched about this earlier in the thread. Was hoping the PS2 port woud fix the AI but nope, let's have the Temple of Lightning be pitch black instead of lightly dimmed just because.

Shahed

I bitched about this earlier in the thread. Was hoping the PS2 port woud fix the AI but nope, let's have the Temple of Lightning be pitch black instead of lightly dimmed just because.

It's the last ramp before the save point that pisses me off the most. They get stuck left, right and behind the light block and then run away when I go to fetch them and make it even worse.

I'm actually stuck and can't continue. It would be the stupidest of reasons not to be able to continue the game. It reminds of Birth By Sleep and that stupid ice cream cone rhythm mini game I couldn't do. After days off trying I was going to abandon the game before my sister did it for me

ohlawd

It's the last ramp before the save point that pisses me off the most. They get stuck left, right and behind the light block and then run away when I go to fetch them and make it even worse.

I'm actually stuck and can't continue. It would be the stupidest of reasons not to be able to continue the game. It reminds of Birth By Sleep and that stupid ice cream cone rhythm mini game I couldn't do. After days off trying I was going to abandon the game before my sistwr did it for me
Just walk a few steps at a time to let them catch up. You also don't have to lead them all on the spot at the same time.

Shahed

Just walk a few steps at a time to let them catch up. You also don't have to lead them all on the spot at the same time.

I'll give it a shot in a bit, but I've tried that for ages. Sometimes I think one's about to come, but then it goes the other way! Managed to get the 3 so far, so I'll get it done eventually. Just gave it a break since it was doing my head in.

How I thought the battle system would be an issue. It's fine ane Lloyd is arguably my favourite Tales character to control. But that World Map and this blasted dungeon...

Shadownet

Banned
Outside of story and dungeons I heavily disagree. Graces F is phemonenal.

You forgot characters.

The only thing people seem to like about it is the combat system. And even then there some people that hated it. Like me.

But most people agree that outside of the combat system. The characters, story, and dungeons sucks.

So that's like 3 out of 4 things most people hate. That doesn't sounds like a phenomenal game to me.

RyuKanSan

I'm so tempted to get this game of PSN, but I want Xilla, although I'm mad I missed the sale Xilla just had.

I played both Symphonia's on GCN/Wii but haven't Xilla...which does Gaf recommend more?

Shadownet

Banned
The battle system alone is reason enough to pick Graces F up. Everything else if pretty mediocre, but that's what Tales of is all about nowadays, right?

Ehh somewhat. I thought Vespecia was pretty epic.

I hope Zesteria will finally reboot the franchise and bring something evolutionary and new to the series.

Shadownet

Banned
I'm so tempted to get this game of PSN, but I want Xilla, although I'm mad I missed the sale Xilla just had.

I played both Symphonia's on GCN/Wii but haven't Xilla...which does Gaf recommend more?

If you already played Symphonia. Go get Xillia. Symphonia Chronicles is just a rehash. (I mean this in a good way)

So go get Xillia and experience something new. You can always go back and buy Symphonia later.

Though warning. You might experience severe disappointment going from Xillia graphic and combat movement to Symphonia. Symphonia combat is a bit clumsy compared to nowadays but it's still playable.

Bladenic

Ehh somewhat. I thought Vespecia was pretty epic.

I hope Zesteria will finally reboot the franchise and bring something evolutionary and new to the series.

Me too!

And you know, since Zestiria will be big open fields, I hope they take steps to ensure it feels like a real world. Symphonia has one of my favorite Tales worlds due to the fact that it contains all these cool little locations like House of Salvations, etc.

jimi_dini

Outside of story and dungeons I heavily disagree. Graces F is phemonenal.

Right

Characters were great, no sexualized bullshit that I can't take seriously. And the voice actors also did a great job and it seems as if they had fun doing their parts, Xillia on the other hand had horrid voice acting. I also liked the overworld and the music was also nice. To me Graces >>>>>>> Xillia. I don't get all that Graces hate.

Bladenic

Right

Characters were great, no sexualized bullshit that I can't take seriously. And the voice actors also did a great job and it seems as if they had fun doing their parts, Xillia on the other hand had horrid voice acting. I also liked the overworld and the music was also nice. To me Graces >>>>>>> Xillia. I don't get all that Graces hate.

I agree that it was kind of refreshing not to have the busty sexy female archetype like Judith/Milla/Tear/Sheena, but the only time I considered the Graces f characters good was the Future arc. Except Malik and Pascal, they were cool throughout. Also Xillia had way better VA IMO.

Link Man

Banned
Well, just beat Sylph. Was an easy fight, to be honest, though being level 30 probably helped a bit. Lloyd|Sheena|Colette|Raine, btw.

Seda

My god the Temple of Darkness. Those 5 blasted spirit pieces are going to be the death of me. Why the hell don't they follow me, and why do the menaces get stuck everywhere? I had to quit playing since the frustration was getting to me. Who on earth thought this was a good idea?

Yeah they are pretty annoying. I dunno if this was coincidence but when I went through the dungeon, it seemed like the shadows had a tendency to go the the direction your on-screen character was facing. As in, facing the shadows behind you or aimlessly pacing trying to get them to come to you only seemed to make them move more sporadically. Again, could have been coincidence.

Was wondering, what is the cutoff event before you lose
Zelos
When you go to the Tower of Salvation after the Flanoir event. If you see Kratos' Flanoir scene, you still have a window of time where you can do subevents requiring Zelos and such.

Shadownet

Banned
Question concerning Kratos/Zelos: don't read if you never beat the game before.

so who do you guys usually ended up saving? Me I usually save Zelos since Kratos will have to leave Earth anyway by the end of the game.

It's been a long time since I finished the game, if you don't save Zelos, he died right? But that isn't canon since he's obviously alive in the sequel.

HawthorneKitty

so who do you guys usually ended up saving? Me I usually save Zelos since Kratos will have to leave Earth anyway by the end of the game.

It's been a long time since I finished the game, if you don't save Zelos, he died right? But that isn't canon since he's obviously alive in the sequel.
I like Kratos, so I save him, even though Zelos is infinitely more useful.

ToS2 is canon?
j/k, love you Johnny Yong Bosch <3

ohlawd

I almost always pick Zelos because it's canon. I like both Zelos and Kratos equally as characters but I have to give it to Zelos for being much more fun to use in battle.

Yes, Zelos dies if you choose Kratos. I love the pre battle scenes and stuff.

"You bastard!"

"You can call me whatever you like but it's not gonna change anything. You ready?"

Metaledgeking

Neo Member
I like Kratos, so I save him, even though Zelos is infinitely more useful.

ToS2 is canon?
j/k, love you Johnny Yong Bosch <3

Besides his personal skill, how is Zelos infinitely more useful, I never chose Zelos because he character just annoys me and found Kratos be to better so is there a huge difference between the two? I know there are subtle differences in their artes but is there other differences as well?

FSLink

Banned
You forgot characters.

The only thing people seem to like about it is the combat system. And even then there some people that hated it. Like me.

But most people agree that outside of the combat system. The characters, story, and dungeons sucks.

So that's like 3 out of 4 things most people hate. That doesn't sounds like a phenomenal game to me.

Characters while some being just okay, was in line with most of the rest of the series.
It's phenomenal in my opinion since I play games for gameplay. A good story/characters is just a bonus. But to each his/her own.

So how is the HD conversion?
Barely serviceable is what I'd describe it as. :/

Shadownet

Banned
Characters while some being just okay, was in line with most of the rest of the series.
It's phenomenal in my opinion since I play games for gameplay. A good story/characters is just a bonus. But to each his/her own.:/

that's where I'm different. If I'm going to spend 60-70 hours in an RPG. The characters better be like able and the story better be good.

Look at Persona 4. The combat and dungeons aren't that exciting, even repetitive at time. But the story and characters are excellent. More than made up for it.

Shadownet

Banned
I almost always pick Zelos because it's canon. I like both Zelos and Kratos equally as characters but I have to give it to Zelos for being much more fun to use in battle.

Yes, Zelos dies if you choose Kratos. I love the pre battle scenes and stuff.

"You bastard!"

"You can call me whatever you like but it's not gonna change anything. You ready?"

Does anyone know how to make sure Zelos is the one who is in your party at the end?
I like Kratos as well but I rather have Zelos not die.

Dice//

Banned

Seda

There are a handful of games I quite enjoyed despite pretty awful characters and such, Grandia 3 and Wild Arms 5 come to mind. I generally liked how Graces played, but I still prefer Vesperia as it was much more well rounded when it comes to all aspects of the game, narrative included, despite a bit more rigid battle system.

Does anyone know how to make sure Zelos is the one who is in your party at the end?
I like Kratos as well but I rather have Zelos not die.

Do the Flanoir scene with anybody except Kratos.

FSLink

Banned
There are a handful of games I quite enjoyed despite pretty awful characters and such, Grandia 3 and Wild Arms 5 come to mind. I generally liked how Graces played, but I still prefer Vesperia as it was much more well rounded when it comes to all aspects of the game, narrative included, despite a bit more rigid battle system.

Do the Flanoir scene with anybody except Kratos.

Yeah, I actually enjoy Vesperia over Graces. I still feel it's the most polished Tales on a modern console with tons of endgame and unlockable content that isn't hid behind a paywall. It also had costume DLC but at least there's plenty of in-game content. We won't see another game like this for awhile (when Vesperia port eventually comes out lol)

that's where I'm different. If I'm going to spend 60-70 hours in an RPG. The characters better be like able and the story better be good.

Look at Persona 4. The combat and dungeons aren't that exciting, even repetitive at time. But the story and characters are excellent. More than made up for it.

I like Persona 4 and it's definitely in my list of top RPGs for sure. For me it's not a requirement, especially for JRPGs where the genre is usually way too tropey.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130730215841/http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=87660

Just make choices Kratos doesn't like (which is honestly pretty easy to do) and if you run into one of those world map skits where you have an option to answer, say what he doesn't want to hear.

I'm gonna skip the Affection bonus for NG+ since it's just easier to get Kratos from scratch. Speaking of NG+, it looks like for all the stuff I'd want, it's gonna cost me 1555 grade. I hope I have 555 already...

HawthorneKitty

What I really love about Symphonia is how they throw so many things at you so you forget how much foreshadowing is shown through skits scattered around.

Shahed

Right

While I admit the busty stereotype isn't ideal, anything is better than Cheria. An annoying jealous, fangirl of a childhood friend. Leia wasn't brilliant either, but she was okay. Cheria was the worst

Yeah they are pretty annoying. I dunno if this was coincidence but when I went through the dungeon, it seemed like the shadows had a tendency to go the the direction your on-screen character was facing. As in, facing the shadows behind you or aimlessly pacing trying to get them to come to you only seemed to make them move more sporadically. Again, could have been coincidence.

I think it was coincidence. Sometimes I think that is the case then they do something different altogether. I've done it now, so I won't have to worry till my second playthrough anyway

What I really love about Symphonia is how they throw so many things at you so you forget how much foreshadowing is shown through skits scattered around.
I remember really liking that back in the day, but I find it nigh on impossible to follow them now. It's not just the fact they aren't voiced, but more importantly I can't speed them up while reading like in Xillia and Graces

Dice//

Banned
While I admit the busty stereotype isn't ideal, anything is better than Cheria. An annoying jealous, fangirl of a childhood friend. Leia wasn't brilliant either, but she was okay. Cheria was the worst

I hate that her secondary accessory keeps up the trend to hammer the point in too.
A PRETTY BOW THAT GUYS WILL LOVE ON A GIRL....RIGHT!?

A SILKY BOW THAT MAKES ALL THE GUYS HEADS TURN.... RIGHT??!

A GIRLY BOW THAT REMINDS THAT'LL MAKE HIM SWOON...RIGHT?!?!?!

I liked her role as the big-sister type, but anything involving Asbel at all makes it no surprise he avoided her for so long. Hell, 90% of NPC females are less obnoxious.
...she's still a fucking monster on the battlefield.

I also like Sheena a lot for that "demure" side of her. She's the game's "sexy" character but she never flaunts it and she's quite shy. In fact, for a sexy character, she's actually pretty well bundled up, really only exposing the top half of her chest (bra?).

Dice//

Banned
All of Symphonia's female characters are bundled up pretty well, really.

I think Regal exposes the most. :p

Fujishima's designs in general are quite reserved (Tear only has a sizeable bust, Eliza is head-to-toe lolita-like, Arche has pants as puffy as MC Hammers). Maybe drawing "heavenly goddesses" for 25[?] years has had some influence on that. x)

Seda

I would say Sheena's one of the better characters in Symphonia.
Yes, while she's kind of a terrible assassin and while dialogues with her on Sylvarant are a little awkward, it shows that she's not heartless. This is especially obvious when you see her playing with children in Luin and of course during/after the Asgard ranch events. It's eventually pretty clear that even though she had a mission she was hesitant to carry it out and that fit well into the portrayal of Yggdrasil's twisted world he created, how one side had to suffer regardless of a Chosen's success or failure. Her role as she's introduced into the story is what hammers that point home most clearly.

But even outside of her roles in developing the narrative as a whole, she has believable motivations and growth. She's afraid of repeating past failures and has to overcome it to counter the 'twisted world' Yggdrasil has created. While Corrine's sacrifice as a motivational ladder for her to get over her problems and Kuchinawa's resentment towards her is a little awkward, I think it's certainly functional and fits.

FSLink

Banned
...she's still a fucking monster on the battlefield.
Definitely my favorite healer in the series to control. ZA WARUDO Mystic Arte ftw.

Sheena's a cool character but man I wish they went the lazy route and just copied Suzu's artes (which some are actually used by Kuchinawa). Her playstyle is kind of lame unless you abuse spell cancel.

Rhapsody

Banned
Definitely my favorite healer in the series to control. ZA WARUDO Mystic Arte ftw.

Sheena's a cool character but man I wish they went the lazy route and just copied Suzu's artes (which some are actually used by Kuchinawa). Her playstyle is kind of lame unless you abuse spell cancel.

Probably my favorite healer as well. Although Rutee's pretty high up there too.

Sheena could've been done better. Too slow and a bit boring even with spell cancel.

Seda

That is true, she's one of the most boring characters to control in battle.

TEJ

I liked estelle the most. She fit the
naive princess
archetype but she was kind hearted and almost selfless. She didn't look down on anybody from lower parts of society. I also liked how she could use a sword and maces.

I also liked how her and Yuri's relationship was completely platonic. I was shocked at the end that I went through an entire jrpg without hints of romance between the male and female leads.

Seda

I also liked how her and Yuri's relationship was completely platonic. I was shocked at the end that I went through an entire jrpg without hints of romance between the male and female leads.

That was certainly refreshing.

Top Bottom