• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

Finalow

Just wait until you get to the Guardian of the Water Seal. That's a frustrating fight if you're underleveled and trying for the no deaths title.
I didn't even know there was a title for that, but I guess that even if I knew I'd have never tried to get it, not worth it.

I just got past the third seal (coffee scene oh-oh), judging from the walkthrough this game is really long.

R0ckman

SHIT, was getting the beach outfit titles and instead of the devs programming only the characters who can receive outfits to join lloyd I also ended up auto bringing Kratos since he was my highest affinity so I only got 3 out of 4 I should have. What the fuck were they thinking with that?

jimi_dini

Finally got my Collector's Edition. Thanks to the GAFfer Shadownet, who let me get his amazon order.

But I want to rant a bit about amazon. It arrived perfectly, but they charged me additional VAT and the package was obviously not processed by customs at all. Which means I guess amazon got an extra $25 or so for nothing.

Their little invoice doesn't even explicitly state the VAT payment. It just states "Subtotal $99.99 (game)", "$12.48 shipping + handling" followed by order total $133.84. Fucking amazon.

Link Man

Banned
I didn't even know there was a title for that, but I guess that even if I knew I'd have never tried to get it, not worth it.

You only have to maintain no deaths until the fight with Luna (so about half the game, hmm, do I still want to do this on my first playthrough?).

Finally got my Collector's Edition. Thanks to the GAFfer Shadownet, who let me get his amazon order.

But I want to rant a bit about amazon. It arrived perfectly, but they charged me additional VAT and the package was obviously not processed by customs at all. Which means I guess amazon got an extra $25 or so for nothing.

Their little invoice doesn't even explicitly state the VAT payment. It just states "Subtotal $99.99 (game)", "$12.48 shipping + handling" followed by order total $133.84. Fucking amazon.

There's no harm contacting customer service and getting them to explain/possibly fix it.

jimi_dini

There's no harm contacting customer service and getting them to explain/possibly fix it.

Well, it will be pretty hard to show them that customs didn't process it. I mean I got no papers, no nothing. The package doesn't have any customs sticker on it. Which makes it obvious to me, but they will probably want some "proof".

And I don't want to go to customs, because I bet that they will say "nope, we must have missed that one" and charge me a second time. Will ask the GAFfer, but he was already so nice, that I don't really want to bother him (he actually gave me his account password for a short time, so that I was able to change the shipping and payment to myself).

Finalow

You only have to maintain no deaths until the fight with Luna (so about half the game, hmm, do I still want to do this on my first playthrough?).
oh, that sounds a little better but I think that you still need to grind a lot.

anyway, I hate that awful camera you get when you are in the world map and you don't have the "dog" available. also awful that you can't take off your weapon if you don't have any other weapon of the same category in the inventory, money got wasted.

I never really liked Sheena
initial relation with the characters, felt dumb as hell. "imma kill u all"x3 - "nooo~ pls let's be friends :(("x3 but I guess her revelation were somehow interesting, even if the party should have been asking about it the second she joined.

SaintZ

oh, that sounds a little better but I think that you still need to grind a lot.
You have to keep the no deaths until the battle with Iubaris (that horse/pegasus demon from the Tower of Salvation IIRC) so it is a little better.

I just did the Orienteering mini game and lord, took me a little because everytime one of the checkpoints was in the market and the other one in the big ship. If they have you cross the whole city every time it was gonna be impossible.

Shahed

The Map is awful in this game. Probably the worst traversal map I've ever seen. My god are those views awful. Even Noishe doesn't always help. So glad they got rid of it and the whole Long Range thing

Holy shit, this is a hell of a typo.

"It's alll right, I just need to win against him./fI won't run away anymore."
The game is full of them

Seda

I don't remember the camera in the map being that annoying in the GCN version. But yes it was certainly frustrating.

Shahed

I don't remember the camera in the map being that annoying in the GCN version. But yes it was certainly frustrating.
What's funny is that I thought the battle system would be hard to get used to after playing later games in the series, and I said as much to my brother and sister. But while there was a small period of like 10 battles it was weird, we all adjusted perfectly fine. Sure the lack of free run can get in the way when multiple player characters are targeting the same enemy or when a route to a certain enemy is blockee, but a quick Tempest to manoeuvre usually suffices.

However despite me not recalling any problems with the map and the camera angles, it's what gets in the way the most!

Oh I know. But this one was the most jarring.

That is among the worst I've seen. I'm not even sure what it's meant to be. 'I won't run away' seems the most likely, but that also mean 3 separate typos for one letter via keys that aren't really that close

Link Man

Banned
You have to keep the no deaths until the battle with Iubaris (that horse/pegasus demon from the Tower of Salvation IIRC) so it is a little better.

Oh, then I'm halfway there already (just finished Thoda Geyser). I'll be glad to have finished that and the gels one soon enough, then.

PKrockin

I'm 90% sure the GC version's 4:3 allowed it you to see farther ahead of your character when the camera rised and pointed more toward the ground.

That is among the worst I've seen. I'm not even sure what it's meant to be. 'I won't run away' seems the most likely, but that also mean 3 separate typos for one letter via keys that aren't really that close
Seems like some kind of text formatting code.

Persona7

Banned
This is incredible. My friend got the CE in the mail from amazon.

It was the same long box, they threw in a small wad of brown paper and then the game with 30% of the box having empty space. The outside box is damaged completely and the shrink wrap even ripped from sliding around. inside the box all the disks are loose and one of the figurines is broken.

It was the same long box, they threw in a small wad of brown paper and then the game with 30% of the box having empty space. The outside box is damaged completely and the shrink wrap even ripped from sliding around. inside the box all the disks are loose and one of the figurines is broken.

Ouch.

Mine was packed just like that, but did not sustain any damage.

Yawnier

Banned
The Map is awful in this game. Probably the worst traversal map I've ever seen. My god are those views awful. Even Noishe doesn't always help. So glad they got rid of it and the whole Long Range thing

This is probably one of the biggest complaints I have in this game, the camera in the world map is borderline terrible.

FSLink

Banned

I received mine that I ordered for a friend as well, and it was packaged similarly, though instead of empty space they had the huge bubble wrap stuff. Your friend's unlucky as hell. :(

RPGCrazied

I'd be sending that back. Thank goodness the only flaw on mine is a few scratches on the outer plastic box, I can live with that.

Shahed

I kinda wish Sheena was stronger and more resilient, or that other characters were faster. After playing as Lloyd it's hard to move onto anyone else. They feel lethargic in comparison. I can play as Sheena since she's fast and it's still fun, but she's probably a pretty bad character overall with here lack of power, defense and range. If not for the fact she's a requirement for several boss battles, I wouldn't use her unless I'm playing two player. As it is since she has to be in the party at times, I just stick with her. Tried controlling the other's several times and i just can't do it.

Seda

Got the Gung Ho title on my 1/2 exp second playthrough. Honestly I'm enjoying the game a bit more with the exp restriction. Makes it so I have to actually pay some attention to boss attack patterns and knowing when to dodge/guard. I definitely have to use more items though.

Link Man

Banned
So, the Guardian of the Wind Seal was a breeze. But then, after defeating him, you have to fight Sheena again, without a save point in between. She kills Genis, and I turn of the system.

:/

SaintZ

So, the Guardian of the Wind Seal was a breeze. But then, after defeating him, you have to fight Sheena again, without a save point in between. She kills Genis, and I turn of the system.

THIS. It just happened to me as well dammit. Frustrating moment.

Link Man

Banned
Well, switched out Genis for Kratos, and the fight with Sheena turned simple. I guess you just need the right character at the right time.

Persona7

Banned
Ouch.

Mine was packed just like that, but did not sustain any damage.

yeah, I got a package like before and it was fine but I can't imagine how much money amazon loses on poor packaging

I received mine that I ordered for a friend as well, and it was packaged similarly, though instead of empty space they had the huge bubble wrap stuff. Your friend's unlucky as hell. :(

I wonder how they decide what packaging materials to use.

I'd be sending that back. Thank goodness the only flaw on mine is a few scratches on the outer plastic box, I can live with that.

yeah, it is being sent back and they let my friend order the dark souls 2 CE...I hope it arrives undamaged.

SaintZ

Kvar was annoying, he killed me twice. You have to be extra careful because those lightning attacks are devastating.

Just beat Iubaris and got the "Friendship First" title so now I don't have to worry about that anymore :D

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished the game, then proceeded to finally fight the 3rd Sword Dancer (I never got to do it back on the GC version). He was way easier than I was expecting.
Did they change the story in this one? On the GC version, I thought Zelos lived and stayed in your party. In this version, Zelos dies and Kratos rejoined your party. Also, were the final scenes after the credits added just for ps3, or were they added for ps2 and just now translated? I don't remember them from the GC version...

Seda

Just finished the game, then proceeded to finally fight the 3rd Sword Dancer (I never got to do it back on the GC version). He was way easier than I was expecting.
Did they change the story in this one? On the GC version, I thought Zelos lived and stayed in your party. In this version, Zelos dies and Kratos rejoined your party. Also, were the final scenes after the credits added just for ps3, or were they added for ps2 and just now translated? I don't remember them from the GC version...

You had a high affinity with Kratos and chose to see his Flanoir scene. That's the only way for Zelos to die and for Kratos to rejoin your party. This was also in the GCN version (it was actually easier to get in that version as you didn't even need high affinity with Kratos in the first place). The artworks /during/ the credits are "new", but the after credits scenes are not.

Metaledgeking

Neo Member
Even with the 500HP boost from the grade shop, Hard Mode is still kicking my ass and like a freaking genius I decide to the the Hima route for the seals instead of the Izoold route.....

Link Man

Banned
Awww yisss got to the coffee scene.

English or Japanese?

Also, any good place to farm crafting materials in Sylvarant? I'm talking like Black Silver, White Silver or Copper. I don't really want to spend my Grade, as I want at least 2000 by the end game (hopefully 4000+ so I can keep titles and get 10x experience), but then it's pretty easy to earn Grade by fighting weak enemies, so...

Seda

English or Japanese?

Also, any good place to farm crafting materials in Sylvarant? I'm talking like Black Silver, White Silver or Copper. I don't really want to spend my Grade, as I want at least 2000 by the end game (hopefully 4000+ so I can keep titles and get 10x experience), but then it's pretty easy to earn Grade by fighting weak enemies, so...

White Silver - Steal from Lightning Swords in Tower of Mana
Black Silver - Steal from Gargoyles in Balacruf Mausoleum

You mean Brass? Can't get that from enemies yet.

Stealing these items is also an okay way to get money early on (sell for 1000 each).

Link Man

Banned
White Silver - Steal from Lightning Swords in Tower of Mana
Black Silver - Steal from Gargoyles in Balacruf Mausoleum

You mean Brass? Can't get that from enemies yet.

Stealing these items is also an okay way to get money early on (sell for 1000 each).

Ah, I see. Just before Luin, so I haven't opened up the Tower of Mana yet. I'll keep it in mind, though. And yeah, could be brass, wanted to forge the Nimble Rapier in Hima.

Bladenic

Grade is way more annoying than I remember. Also AI has a knack of doing dumb shit at the worst possible times.

Edit: I just beat Kvar actually. Hard mode, and battle was going incredibly well till he used that area around him attack and both Raine and Kratos got offed. Only got .36 grade which is annoying considering how well I did other than 2 deaths. Fucking AI.

Yawnier

Banned
I didn't find Kvar that bad personally, I used Kratos and Genis alongside Lloyd.

I also just did the Efreet and Undine boss fights to get them out of the way before the Tower of Salvation.

Finalow

ah, I liked this skit. couldn't find it in english, the title should be "nicknames".

by the way, Colette,
when she couldn't speak anymore and just started to write entire sentences with her finger on Lloyd's hand,
made me laugh.

jimi_dini

Mine came in an extremely large box (at least 3 or 4 times the size of the CE) with a bit of air bags (not bubble wrap) on one side. It was a miracle that it arrived in perfect condition (I'm from Europe). Even the Quad-CD-Case was intact.

Finalow

Kvar was annoying, he killed me twice. You have to be extra careful because those lightning attacks are devastating.
yep, he has that melee attack that also unleashes lightning and he uses it a lot. plus there are those 3 monsters with him.
not an easy fight.

for me that fight was really close, Sheena had 30hp and almost killed everyone in my party, managed to revive someone with Lloyd at 100hp or so and finally killed her.

in any case so far I've never had to grind, I just used a lot of items. I guess it's fine since I'm playing on normal.

Shadownet

Banned

I'm very happy that you finally got your CE! I hope you enjoy it man! But on the other note. You should seriously consider contacting Amazon, and get your VAT refund! They shouldn't have charge you twice!

Link Man

Banned
Yay, got the "Friends First" title, which seems to be the best growth title for Colette. Now I just have to get the "I Hate Gels", and the game should be much less stressful.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yay, got the "Friend's First" title, which seems to be the best growth title for Colette. Now I just have to get the "I Hate Gels", and the game should be much less stressful.
I am saddened that I have to be conscious of Gung Ho on my next playthrough. I could have made it too...

ohlawd

Oh, I don't think I'll try for Gung Ho. I actually like being overpowered.
yup.

I got Gung Ho a couple times but nothing beats being op. FFVIII gets shit on a lot for example but it's top tier to me cuz I can break the system easily and steamroll errbody.

Shadownet

Banned
I swear it was better in the GameCube version too.

I agree, I have the GameCube version too and I don't remember now being able to see goddamn nothing in front of you in the world map.

I was so afraid of that too, I realized it that I wouldn't have a save point before fighting Sheena. Luckily. It wasn't as hard as the wind guardian. I'm sorry man :( that's terrible luck.

Top Bottom