• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia - Gamespot review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/rpg/talesofphantasia/review.html

"Tales of Symphonia was worth the wait. Fans of Japanese role-playing games will take to its style and the depth of its battle system, and those curious about the genre who loathe the idea of turn-based battle and scads of random encounters, will appreciate the quick fighting pace. While the story may rely a bit too much on cliché, the ride is still worthwhile. If you have a GameCube and like RPGs, you definitely need to check out Tales of Symphonia."

Interest is rising...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
IGN review:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/528/528400p1.html

8.0 Presentation
A lot of time went into this game and it shows -- an excellent combination of art, style, and gameplay.
8.0 Graphics
The graphics, for the most part, are amazing. This game is simply a work of art. But why does the overworld look so subpar?
7.0 Sound
The score is good, if repetitive (especially the battle anthem). But what hurts the audio department is the voice acting -- not terrible, it just doesn't sound natural.
9.0 Gameplay
An excellent combination of real-time battles and puzzle solving. Even with its set of problems, Tales is a fun and satisfying experience.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
Despite its faults, you'll want to keep playing Tales...and 80 hours isn't exactly skimpy.
8.5 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)

I've played far too much Tales of Symphonia... in both English and Japanese. But, it's a testament to the game that I still plan to buy it. I'm not sick of it yet. And that's what makes rating this game so difficult. This descriptor has been used far too often, but it's true -- Tales is a lot of fun. Plain and simple. And, due to its hybrid RPG/adventure game nature, it's got the customization, strategy, and experience system that RPG fans admire, as well as a battle system and puzzle solving elements that appeals to action/adventure oriented gamers.

Tales of Symphonia has a broad appeal and its excellent art style and score tie the whole adventure together. But it's not perfect. There are some truly evil, frustrating moments. And, if you didn't get vehicles later on that cut travel time between locations by 3/4, I probably would have given up. I don't mean to directly equate Tales of Symphonia with Wind Waker (they're very different games), but they share many of the same annoyances -- namely traveling gets old and both seemed abnormally lengthened thanks to fetch quests.

That said, for those able to look past the game's faults, Tales of Symphonia offers one of the best experiences on GameCube (RPG or otherwise) and is an excellent way to spend those precious summer hours.

Recommended.

-- Mary Jane Irwin

Glad I ponied up for the preorder on this, looks like a fantastic title.

EDIT:Wario64 beat me, must have been hitting submit as I was htitting post.

belgurdo

Banned
I knew they'd blow it on the voice acting again. Why didn't they use the Xenosaga crew again?

Won't stop me from getting the game though

AniHawk

belgurdo said:
I knew they'd blow it on the voice acting again. Why didn't they use the Xenosaga crew again?

As it's been said before, apparently the voices are good, it's just the directing was subpar, so it comes out awkwardly.

"Collette........ SPOKE!"

Besides, the XS crew might be working on BKaitos.

Culex

Banned
I'm still picking this up. Since the voice acting isn't too hot, I'll be holding onto my Japanese version.

AniHawk

Auron said:
Already paid for my game in full. It's about time Nintendo has a good console RPG.

Skies of Arcadia Legends, damnit!

Culex said:
I'm still picking this up. Since the voice acting isn't too hot, I'll be holding onto my Japanese version.

You can turn the VA off.

siege

Banned
Sounds great, but it's a still a rental for me. I know I won't keep it if I buy it because the story is so weak. Also, bad voice acting doesn't help draw me into the characters. Will make for an awesome monthly rental at BB though!

Culex

Banned
siege said:
Sounds great, but it's a still a rental for me. I know I won't keep it if I buy it because the story is so weak. Also, bad voice acting doesn't help draw me into the characters. Will make for an awesome monthly rental at BB though!

Again, Gamespot says the voice acting is fine:

The voice acting in the game is very even and pretty consistent in quality; you'll rarely get over-acted or oddly inflected lines.

Were IGN and GS playing two different games?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
The wait is killing me ; ;

Why did it have to be next week? How about today, or tomorow.. wasnt the original release date the 6th but it was pushed to 13th? zeeeehaaaarg!

Skies of Arcadia Legends, damnit!

I bought Skies of Arcadia the day it came out in November 2000. When dinosaurs ruled the Earth. Remember that system, I think it was called the Dream something? Something Cast. I can't remember the name of it.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Neutron Night said:
I bought Skies of Arcadia the day it came out in November 2000. When dinosaurs ruled the Earth. Remember that system, I think it was called the Dream something? Something Cast. I can't remember the name of it.

Dreamcast.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Neutron Night said:
Well, it was new to the GC owners that didn't have a dreamcast (which I'm sure there were a lot of). It's still an RPG and it still came out on the GC long before Tales did.

Alex

I think the VA seems okay from the clips, although Lloyd's voice is pissing me off simply because it sounds so familair and I can't place it... Just one of those common VA's I guess.

siege

Banned
Alex said:
I think the VA seems okay from the clips, although Lloyd's voice is pissing me off simply because it sounds so familair and I can't place it... Just one of those common VA's I guess.

Isn't it the guy who voices Robin in Teen Titans?

Rhage

Heh, the voice acting IS horrible. Listen to some gameplay videos during battle. It's overly kiddy and is just plain annoying.

That's really too bad considering everything else looks/sounds great and they were talking about how the voice acting was supposed to be well done.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I thought the sound of their voices wasn't so bad...it's the way they were dubbed or directed. The pauses and inflection are all wrong and make conversations sound really goofy. You can see it in the videos that have been up for awhile.

That's minor. The battle system has me convinced that it will keep me going for a bit even if I dislike the art style.

Socreges

Banned
I've been seriously pining for an RPG recently. But I don't think I'm going to like the characters.

When is Star Ocean out? August?

Socreges

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
the voices can be turned off so i don't see it as a big deal.
Nice.

What's the general demeanour of the game? Like, is it pretty fruity and childish? Cheesy when it tries to get serious? Is the story bearable?

Link316

Banned
preordered it for the lithograph and artbook, game's just gonna collect dust on my growing pile of unplayed games :p

MaddenNFL64

Stele said:
WTF?! "Rain of Swords" -- battle done in two seconds.

lol!

Yep, I love that tech :). And earlier in the game, Aika's Lambda burst is pretty good. Easy wins against wimpy creatures.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The story is NOT "weak." Yes, the overall story is cliche. But the characters and the sub-plot is far from cliche. The story has plenty of personality in it. Yeah, it's the normal "Save the world" plot, but there's plenty of twists and turns along the way. Although, the story does have a little downtime, because of the massive amount of sidequests and sub-plots in the game.

You're wondering the demographic? Well, it's rated T for "Suggestive themes, fantasy violence, and language." by the ESRB. I've heard "hell" in at least one video. I know that "Kuso" was used a lot in the Japanese version. (Kuso = Shit) Don't get me wrong, swearing isn't put in there to make it sound mature or something. Languages is used in appropriate areas, when characters get angry and upset. You'll see an occassional bad word, but not every other line. :p

Tales is pretty lighthearted, but it also is quite serious. There's plenty of comedic value in the game. Just look at the new gamespot movies. (gameplay movies #11, 12, 13, and 14) #12 shows Colette literally throwing Zelos after he tries to make an advance on her. There's some boob jokes, and you get to see sheena, full rack and all, in a bikini (woot!)

Tales isn't aimed exclusively for kids, teens, or adults, really. Although I'd say it's more for teens and adults than kids, because of the length and the more adult-oriented comedy.

I think Gamespot was much less nitpicky on Tales than IGN was. I think that IGN was pretty bad at the battle system, judging from the gameplay videos I've seen on IGN. Considering that IGN readers have given it an average rating of 9.7, and famitsu gave it a 37 or a 38/40, I don't think you have much to worry about.

The game is definitely fun, and that's what you should ultimately judge a game on: Did you have fun playing it? I've yet to hear anyone answer "No" to that question with Tales of Symphonia.

GaimeGuy

Lloyd -- Scott Menville (Teen Titans)
Colette -- Heather Hogan (Land Before Time)
Genis -- Colleen O'Shaughnessy (Digimon, Danny Phantom)
Raine -- Kari Wahlgren (Witch Hunter Robin)
Kratos -- Cam Clarke (He-Man and the Masters of the Universe)
Sheena -- Jennifer Hale (Totally Spies)
Presea -- Tara Strong (Power Puff Girls, Fairly OddParents)
Zelos -- Shiloh Strong (The Mommies, Dinotopia)
Regal -- Crispin Freeman (Witch Hunter Robin, Big-O)
Mithos -- Brianne Siddall (.hack//SIGN)

A lot of them have worked in video games too. Cam Clarke was Liquid Snake, and I think he also was someone in Grandia II. Tara Strong = Rikku. Jennifer Hale is Dr. Naomi Hunter and Alexandra Roivas.

And those are just some of them.

AniHawk

GaimeGuy said:
Lloyd -- Scott Menville (Teen Titans)
Colette -- Heather Hogan (Land Before Time)
Genis -- Colleen O'Shaughnessy (Digimon, Danny Phantom)
Raine -- Kari Wahlgren (Witch Hunter Robin)
Kratos -- Cam Clarke (He-Man and the Masters of the Universe)
Sheena -- Jennifer Hale (Totally Spies)
Presea -- Tara Strong (Power Puff Girls, Fairly OddParents)
Zelos -- Shiloh Strong (The Mommies, Dinotopia)
Regal -- Crispin Freeman (Witch Hunter Robin, Big-O)
Mithos -- Brianne Siddall (.hack//SIGN)

A lot of them have worked in video games too. Cam Clarke was Liquid Snake, and I think he also was someone in Grandia II. Tara Strong = Rikku. Jennifer Hale is Dr. Naomi Hunter and Alexandra Roivas.

And those are just some of them.

Cam Clarke was in He-Man? Damn, he's been around a longass time. I mean, I knew he was in TMNT, but still.

EDIT: Oh, the NEW He-Man.

"and famitsu gave it a 37 or a 38/40"

34 actually.

The voice acting isn't as bad as I originally thought after watching another vid of it awhile back. It's basically just your average voice acting. Nothing great but nothing to make you really want to turn it off.

GaimeGuy

Oh yeah, I think Dengeki and Famitsu Cube gave it 37, not Famitsu.

Top Bottom