• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia - Gamespot review

Soul4ger

Socreges said:
I've been seriously pining for an RPG recently. But I don't think I'm going to like the characters.

When is Star Ocean out? August?

I find this kinda humorous. Any reviews I've seen for Tales of Symphonia read something like:

"The battle system is great, but the storyline and characters sure are trite!"

Star Ocean, meanwhile, reads:

"The characters and story are rife with sci-fi clichés, but DAMN is that battle system great!"

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
of course, Tales is on a Nintendo system. Anything short of perfection is unacceptable. :p

etiolate

Banned
Were IGN and GS playing two different games?

I've just come to learn that IGN sucks at reviewing RPGs. Though I think this is the first I've seen done by the Mary Jane girl. Normally the reviews consist of "It doesn't have Final Fantasy plots and excessive FMV!".

GaimeGuy

You are GANNON-BANNED for calling it "Tails."

Yes, I know it has nothing to do with Zelda, but I don't care. You're still GANNON-BANNED.

Socreges

Banned
Soul4ger said:
I find this kinda humorous. Any reviews I've seen for Tales of Symphonia read something like:

"The battle system is great, but the storyline and characters sure are trite!"

Star Ocean, meanwhile, reads:

"The characters and story are rife with sci-fi clichés, but DAMN is that battle system great!"
Hah. I guess I lose either way.

But these are my greatest concerns:

"Like, is it pretty fruity and childish? Cheesy when it tries to get serious?"

I don't mind cliches so much. I don't play a great deal of RPGs.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
GaimeGuy said:
You are GANNON-BANNED for calling it "Tails."

Yes, I know it has nothing to do with Zelda, but I don't care. You're still GANNON-BANNED.
Ha ha I wasn't paying attention, I am indeed deserving for being GANNON-BANNED.

TALES TALES TALES TALES TALES

There I don't think I'll make that mistake again.

GaimeGuy

Socreges said:
Hah. I guess I lose either way.

But these are my greatest concerns:

"Like, is it pretty fruity and childish? Cheesy when it tries to get serious?"

I don't mind cliches so much. I don't play a great deal of RPGs.

I responded to that in one of my posts above. The long one. Read it.

Socreges

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
I responded to that in one of my posts above. The long one. Read it.
Right on, thanks. After reading that, I'm suddenly anticipating Tales. The game sounds ace, but I was just a little put off by the seemingly childish nature.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It sucks that this game is being released right around the big sale. I WAS going to buy it on day 1, but that CC sale landed me with a lot of games. While I don't necessarily plan on playing ALL of them now, I still wish to go through a good number of them. I'll pick it up sometime down the road, though.

etiolate

Banned
It sucks that this game is being released right around the big sale. I WAS going to buy it on day 1, but that CC sale landed me with a lot of games. While I don't necessarily plan on playing ALL of them now, I still wish to go through a good number of them. I'll pick it up sometime down the road, though.

I bought games from Circuit City with the thought of trading them in for Tales in mind. I got three games ready to trade in already. I'd have four ready, but Rygar is too good to trade in. =/

AssMan

Banned
I don't know. Call me crazy, but I think the art style that blends with the cell shaded graphics in TOS is very bland. Nothing exciting at all. =\

dark10x

etiolate said:
I bought games from Circuit City with the thought of trading them in for Tales in mind. I got three games ready to trade in already. I'd have four ready, but Rygar is too good to trade in. =/

-shrug-

I'd rather not do that as I managed to get a lot of good games. Tales of Symphonia was never that important to me anynways, so it isn't as if I'm bothered by it. I'll just play it down the road...

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
The battle system for this game looks awesome and so do the graphics. I'm buying this ASAP. This is one of my most anticipated games this year.

belgurdo

Banned
AssMan said:
I don't know. Call me crazy, but I think the art style that blends with the cell shaded graphics in TOS is very bland. Nothing exciting at all. =\

Call me crazy too then. They raped Fujishima's art.

madara

Gad, I dont know why but I abit nervous on this one. I think its because I am one of few that bought and total enjoyed all past Tales and I afraid this one will be majorly different somehow. We see I guess. I cant be too overly picky with this rpg drought.

Pellham

Banned
Another great childrens game for Gamecube. Nintendo's hitting on all cylinders this year.

Most Japanese console RPGs including the other Tales games for PS2 are aimed at children in Japan as well. your point?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
AniHawk said:
Skies of Arcadia Legends, damnit!

You can turn the VA off.

????????????????????? Can anyone confirm this? If so, thats great. What about in Star Ocean 3?

Also is ToS gonna be in progressive scan?

dark10x

isamu said:
????????????????????? Can anyone confirm this? If so, thats great. What about in Star Ocean 3?

Also is ToS gonna be in progressive scan?

-sigh-

No (as pointed out in many threads), ToS is not progressive scan compatible. Oddly enough, Star Ocean 3 actually does run in 480p.

I'm curious to hear the voices in SO3, though. The cutscenes aren't designed in the same fashion as ToS, so the dialog is unlikely to be as akward. I've also heard that a good team was handling the voice overs. We'll see...

UFC PRIDE

'Most Japanese console RPGs including the other Tales games for PS2 are aimed at children in Japan as well. your point?'

Um, my point is - its another great childrens game for Gamecube ... I thought it was pretty self explanatory. Good year for GC.

dark10x

SolidSnakex said:
http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/017/017107/vids_1.html

The voice acting isn't terrible or anything, it's the long pauses between comments that throw it off.

Hmm, that's not too bad. It sounds better than ToS's English dub, but still has issues. Unlike ToS, the pauses don't seem to occur quite as much. Each line is spoken somewhat naturally, but there are pauses between each box that pops up. It sounds even worse in ToS, where they just sound so akward all the time.

Ah good, no random battles in SO3 either!

belgurdo

Banned
SO3's voice acting seems to be very good, but Jesus Christ, why do the characters all look like those weird cosplayers with the masks and body stockings?

dark10x

belgurdo said:
SO3's voice acting seems to be very good, but Jesus Christ, why do the characters all look like those weird cosplayers with the masks and body stockings?

Heh, the characters DO look a bit strange, don't they? It probably has something to do with the way they textured the eyes and such.

belgurdo

Banned
dark10x said:
Heh, the characters DO look a bit strange, don't they? It probably has something to do with the way they textured the eyes and such.

Yeah; Fayt's head (as well as those of his parents) looks like soft rubber, and Sophia's eyes seem painted on. Wonder if they'll fix that by August.

GaimeGuy

There are pauses in Tales because YOU advance the dialogue with "A" It's a different experience if you're listening to the dialogue than when you advance the dialogue yourself. You won't really notice the pauses.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
AniHawk said:
Cam Clarke was in He-Man? Damn, he's been around a longass time. I mean, I knew he was in TMNT, but still.

EDIT: Oh, the NEW He-Man.

I'm PRETTY sure he was doing voice acting in the mid eighties as well... I feel like I've grown up with that voice but I could be wrong.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Mate, whatever the case - this game is going to be good.

I've already paid it all off, just waiting for it to hit my doorstep. I SHOULD quickly play through ToP for old times sake but I cbf.

Senretsu

They wouldn't give me the artbook for pre-ordering until the game comes out. Damn. But they said they didn't get it yet. I was watching some of those battle movies on ign, it looks pretty good.

Top Bottom