• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia, single player only?!

Mrbob

W00T!

So how does two player work? Do two people control a character and then two CPU controlled character?

The battle mode reminds me of grandia 2 (Which rocked)!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Player 1 controls the main character, and by plugging in additional controllers in ports 2, 3, and 4, the remaining 1-3 party members will be under human control as well.

It's nothing like Grandia, though almost as good imho.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Incorrect. Player 1 can control any character. You can choose which character you control: each human controls one character. Any leftovers are assigned to the CPU, as they have been in all Tales games, before.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
GaimeGuy said:
Incorrect. Player 1 can control any character. You can choose which character you control: each human controls one character. Any leftovers are assigned to the CPU, as they have been in all Tales games, before.

Actually, I knew that. :)

It took me 53 hours to beat the game, and there were several sidequests I didn't have time to finish.

It's true that in single player, you can play as any of the four people in your current party. However, the game defaults to the character in the first position for each battle, and then you have to change it manually in the menus for someone different, so if you plan to play with another character for some length of time, a reordering of the party helps reduce the hassle.

I doubt you could get a group of four to play through any major chunk of the game...only a few of the characters are really fun to control, the rest are heavy into magic, which is boring to use manually. Plus the camera always follows player one, which means the other players will often be fighting offscreen. It's still a cool feature for when friends come over and want to check the game out for a few minutes. I don't recommend buying the game solely on its multiplayer feature.

Sagitario

Jonnyboy117 said:
It took me 53 hours to beat the game, and there were several sidequests I didn't have time to finish.

It's true that in single player, you can play as any of the four people in your current party. However, the game defaults to the character in the first position for each battle, and then you have to change it manually in the menus for someone different, so if you plan to play with another character for some length of time, a reordering of the party helps reduce the hassle.

I doubt you could get a group of four to play through any major chunk of the game...only a few of the characters are really fun to control, the rest are heavy into magic, which is boring to use manually. Plus the camera always follows player one, which means the other players will often be fighting offscreen. It's still a cool feature for when friends come over and want to check the game out for a few minutes. I don't recommend buying the game solely on its multiplayer feature.

How is the difficulty?

Top Bottom