• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Voror

Hmm, do the Devil Beasts reappear on a New Game Plus? I just realized that I already killed the one that summons different elemental minions, but only got two of the four in my bestiary.

Field

Anyone bought it on the sale? I wish there was a demo I have it in my cart along with Dragons Crown. Never played a Tales game.

Zafir

Hmm, do the Devil Beasts reappear on a New Game Plus? I just realized that I already killed the one that summons different elemental minions, but only got two of the four in my bestiary.
Extremely late response, but in case you were still wondering.
Yes, though if you're worried for the trophy, don't be. As long as you haven't missed many more, you'll easily have enough for the trophy after doing both sides, arena and the extra dungeon. I missed one in a Jude only dungeon, and was a bit worried, but I the end I easily had enough after doing Milla's side. Was a good 10 or 20 over.

I figure out how to use Mystic Artes last night. Dude, Jude and Milla rock so hard. Boss were giving me a hard time with theirs. Too bad I figure it out after all the hard ones. Damn you samurai wielding boss! You know who you are in the damn marsh.

yamo

Just ordered this game. I'm pretty excited, although I would have loved an Japanese audio option.

I've read that Jude is the character to go with, for "story reasons". Is there any truth to this? Will probably go with Milla otherwise!

Bladenic

Just ordered this game. I'm pretty excited, although I would have loved an Japanese audio option.

I've read that Jude is the character to go with, for "story reasons". Is there any truth to this? Will probably go with Milla otherwise!

Yes, Jude's side of the story makes much more sense.

bonercop

i just found out jude is supposed to be 15 years old.

wut.

he's a med student, and he doesn't sound or act like the part of a middle school student at all. His childish infatuation with Milla is a lot easier to swallow now, I guess, but since I assume she's eventually going to reciprocate(this is a JRPG after all) I'm going to continue to pretend he's around 20 years old.

Proven

They mention at a couple points that Jude is technically a genius. They don't show it off enough though. It's part of the reason why he's so unsure and looking for a purpose in life; he's still just a kid.

Zafir

They mention at a couple points that Jude is technically a genius. They don't show it off enough though. It's part of the reason why he's so unsure and looking for a purpose in life; he's still just a kid.
To be fair though, they could have still kept that idea, and made him a bit older. I mean 17 would have been fine.

The last boss not giving any exp or gald rofl. Boy all that work for nothing.
Finished Milla's story. It was bittersweet. Now off to Magnus Zero and later Jude's story.

yamo

Having pretty big problems making linked arte chains. Would like the trophy but i've only managed to complete 5 linked chains so far and i'm already in chapter 2. I'm expecting a huge grind in the end if I can't get the hang of this soon. :(

Is it possible to use the same arte as you use while activating overlimit during the chain? Or must it be different artes?

Do you have to set the artes that can be linked on both characters (to the same stick positions), or is it enough to set it on the character you control and just have the other one on auto?

Bladenic

Just one character. You can't use the same button combo twice in a row, except if you switch link partners. So, if you playing as Jude and use Igneous Crush linked with Milla to start over limit, then switch to Rowen as your linked partner and press the button for Cerberus Strike again, it'll do Igneous Crush again. But you can't switch to Milla and use Igneous Crush again, it'll have to be a different link arte.

If you're having trouble I recommend bringing up the menu during the animation for an attack to check what artes you can use and keep the chain going. Link chains are by far the best way to do huge damage, so it's rather imperative you get it (you don't NEED it but it certainly makes things easier).

yamo

Thanks, still not managed more than one chain so far though. The game keeps changing the team composition for me all the time right now which is a bit annoying.

I wish there was some kind of training mode for this, so I can try it out and get the hang of it. Frustrating to get all the way to overlimit and then fail immediately.

Just bought the game, I'm excited to see if I'll enjoy it better than Graces f.

Question though, should I begin with Jude or Milla ?

Edit : nevermind, I should read OP more carefully.

sasuke_91

I completed Xian-Du and beat the boss in Kanbalar, but I still don't seem to have finished Chapter 2... I played ~33 hours by now. How long is this game?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Just finished the game on Jude's path at around 46 hours. I can't recall the last time I've dedicated that much time to a console game.

I enjoyed this Tales a lot more than Graces F (I just couldn't give a damn about any of the characters. Battle system was fun though), It was an absolute chore to play through to the end. Xilla is possibly on par with if not better than Vesperia (spent 300+ hrs on that)

+ Characters you can actually care about
+ Interesting story with its fair share of twists
+ Battle system and linking is very enjoyable
+ Every character has a unique fighting style

If I to nitpick some flaws I would say the game feels somewhat rushed in places.

- Nam Cobanda island nowhere in sight.
- Arte variety not too big
- voice acting for one certain character is very bad
- not a large amount of secret quests
- would've preferred more world map type overworld

They're probably gonna release a directors cut or something like with Vesperia PS3.

Regardless I would still rate it as one of my top 3 tales favorites.

I need Xilla 2 badly.

I completed Xian-Du and beat the boss in Kanbalar, but I still don't seem to have finished Chapter 2... I played ~33 hours by now. How long is this game?

I did a lot of sidequests and grinding and ended up with 46 hours.

Sagitario

Quick question: what's better for a second playthrough, a) double damage or b) tripe critical?
I got 9080 grade and after choosing what I want, I am left with 180, which means either a) or b) [I'm 20 short for both :\].
Kinda wish I could also afford Skill SP 1, but that's 3000.
I really hope Zestiria goes back to the old grade earning system.

Quick question: what's better for a second playthrough, a) double damage or b) tripe critical?
I got 9080 grade and after choosing what I want, I am left with 180, which means either a) or b) [I'm 20 short for both :\].
Kinda wish I could also afford Skill SP 1, but that's 3000.
I really hope Zestiria goes back to the old grade earning system.

I say both but I see you can't afford it :p

Uh, double damage would provide a more obvious bonus and make the fights in Unknown and every other mode go a lot quicker.

Never saw a need for Skill SP 1, I found you get enough SP for the skills you really need anyway

and finished!
GREAT game, can't be arsed to platinum it since I hate repeating the game or grinding but it was a blast..
the battle system was great, while strictly inferior to graces f..
story was decent and if I understood it correctly this is a grandeur "thanks but no thanks" case from the female protagonist to the male protagonist final committment "but then.. we..." XD
Oh well, took me 37 hours spanning 3 months (my gametime is what it is) but it was DEFINITELY enjoyable :)
xillia2 will mantain the quality, though I hope that zestria battle system fix some complaints from me :)
Personally i preferred titles to the grid system but that's just me :p

Dantis

Starting Xillia today. Do I want to play as Jude or Milla?

EDIT: Man, I meant to post this in the Tales Community Thread. I truly am a silly man.

aravuus

Random ToX 2 related question: what's the leveling system like? I've heard it's ways better than the orb thing in ToX, but I can't find any pictures or explanations or anything.

Just out of pure curiosity, I'll find on my own in a couple of months anyway when the game comes out

Random ToX 2 related question: what's the leveling system like? I've heard it's ways better than the orb thing in ToX, but I can't find any pictures or explanations or anything.

Just out of pure curiosity, I'll find on my own in a couple of months anyway when the game comes out

ToX2 system spoilers I guess:
Regular levels return so you gain stats from just normal leveling.

The new method of gaining skills is the arrowcell system where you choose which elements to focus on by equipping one gem and you gain these points from battle or from the field.

More variety and choice in how you wish the characters to grow than the very linear system from Xillia 1.

chrono01

Not good.

So I picked Tales of Xillia back up [since FFXIV got me sidetracked when it was released] in the hope of finishing it in time for Tales of Xillia 2 [I'm in Xian Du, at the moment]. First thing I did was go into the PSN Store to see what new DLC there was. I noticed the three Idolm@ster costumes, and the offer for a free Idolm@ster theme if you purchased them all. So I did. Now I'm tempted to purchase Milla, Elize, and Leia's school costumes, for that amazing battle theme. I'm tempted to purchase an outfit for Jude as well [he's the one I'm playing as], but I don't want that theme to supercede Milla/Elize/Leia's school outfit theme, and I really don't want to make one of those leader and constantly switch to Jude for every battle. It looks like it will be normal Jude + three schoolgirls.

Knowing this DLC will be compatible for Tales of Xillia 2 only encourages me to buy them more. My wallet. ;_;

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Almost wrapped this thing up at close to 55 hours. Though probably have several more since I think I will go for the Plat trophy(need a bit more title grinding and the optional dungeon+Milla playthrough).

Didn't feel like many of the battle complaints panned out for me until the final 1/3rd of the game or so. The bulk of the campaign has you fight so few boss enemies that I never really felt or noticed my combos get interrupted or whatnot. Then suddenly the game throws a TON of bosses at you near the end and I can better understand the problem. Now that I have enough skill artes to handle 9+ link chains with ease, it is frustrating how regularly bosses just toss up an ! and cancel me out with instant death shots. Not frustrating really, but just hardly engaging.

Despite being the flashiest and most exuberant looking Tales combat system yet, the actual tactics are some of the weakest. Auto-item is pretty damn powerful and so many team members are capable healers that despite the boss issues, it's hardly a big deal to take them down regardless. Never felt the same with older Tales titles, in fact I can't think of a single moment I ever paused the game to initiate orders or manually use items or rethink my strategy(beyond the occasional partner switch).

Story lost me mostly at the start of Jude Ch. 4 as well. Still haven't quite finished, but I just fizzle out when anime or jRPG's break narrative to extrapolate on the meaning of friendship or amateurishly provide internal discourse on the purpose of meaning of each character's path or future. I keep comparing Jude to Vaan in FFXII, two protagonists that really serve little to no actual purpose in the grand scheme of the adventure. Milla, Alvin, Rowen, and even Elize somewhat have deep seeded threads in the core struggle, but Jude (and Leah) are just along for the ride and somehow have become the pivotal focus.

Still enjoy the everyone's banter quite a great deal at least. Maybe things develop in the conclusion more to win me back, though I will need some time to digest and some space before jumping into Xillia 2. Just not ready to revisit all these locations again so soon after spending the last month with the first game.

Top Bottom