• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Milennia

Yeah, around halfway through now. I would say probably 60~70%. It also surprised me when I played for the first time btw. :p

Holy shit this game just hit me in the face
i was walking around the fields outside of the town and ran into a big ass bug type creature i thought was a normal mob that i haven't seen before.. The veywind eye it was called.. I killed it, but i didn't think i would run into a random boss like that lol, it wasn't even a devils arms monster, it was just a boss that dropped a mysterious orb, after researching it, apparently there are 2 bosses on elympios that drop orbs and are randomly walking around the fields lol, i went to check his weaknesses and he had none, it said boss type and he had a ton of health, like 100.5k or something.. I was like wtf game is awesome

Proven

Holy shit this game just hit me in the face
i was walking around the fields outside of the town and ran into a big ass bug type creature i thought was a normal mob that i haven't seen before.. The veywind eye it was called.. I killed it, but i didn't think i would run into a random boss like that lol, it wasn't even a devils arms monster, it was just a boss that dropped a mysterious orb, after researching it, apparently there are 2 bosses on elympios that drop orbs and are randomly walking around the fields lol, i went to check his weaknesses and he had none, it said boss type and he had a ton of health, like 100.5k or something.. I was like wtf game is awesome

It's a separate late game quest but yeah it's boss monster type of quest.

Korigama

That material that can be stolen from Gentleman enemies in the Old Vicalle Mine, it gives a very high value for shops and from what I can read, that type of materials will never be multiplied beyond x1 so I've been collecting that with Jude throwing Beast left and right to knock them down and Leia as his partner to steal the materials.

They give off decent EXP too, not bad.

Speaking of, I was curious about that Devil Arms monster in the mine and I engaged it: my party got wiped out in like 10 seconds, ahahahaha.
I nearly got killed by that one a few times, ran away before getting wiped then (I didn't even realize what it was the first time). Finally managed to beat it with a Rowen/Milla/Jude/Elize party (lots of Tidal Wave spamming, Fireball anytime it called on monsters that absorbed water), with Elize being higher level than everyone else in my group now thanks to the EXP multiplier on that Healer's Reward skill.

Also, finally saw the skit referenced by the OT.

Milennia

K all finished now, ended up clocking at about 40 hours.
I only started playing like 3 and a half days ago, so needless to say i loved this game and cant wait for the sequel.
Final battle on intermediate was hell, i wont even attempt it on hard without grinding to about 70.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
That material that can be stolen from Gentleman enemies in the Old Vicalle Mine, it gives a very high value for shops and from what I can read, that type of materials will never be multiplied beyond x1 so I've been collecting that with Jude throwing Beast left and right to knock them down and Leia as his partner to steal the materials.

They give off decent EXP too, not bad.

Speaking of, I was curious about that Devil Arms monster in the mine and I engaged it: my party got wiped out in like 10 seconds, ahahahaha.

Aren't materials multiplied by type and not individually? I mean when you have the fish icon everything under the fish category will be 3x.

Also, any item to reduce arte casting time?

Milennia

Aren't materials multiplied by type and not individually? I mean when you have the fish icon everything under the fish category will be 3x.

There is one yeah, however i cant recall its name or where i got it -.- it was either from a boss fight or an aifreads treasure ;/ i use it on elize.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I meant the category for that particular item is never gonna go up beyond 1x. The rightmost type when you donate materials to shop. Might as well use them to expand shops :)

PKrockin

There is one yeah, however i cant recall its name or where i got it -.- it was either from a boss fight or an aifreads treasure ;/ i use it on elize.

Mystic Emblem, from a boss fight about 3/4ths through the game. It and the even more effective Mystic Symbol are extremely good items.

Milennia

Mystic Emblem, from a boss fight about 3/4ths through the game. It and the even more effective Mystic Symbol are extremely good items.

I have the symbol, its great.

I may be going for the platinum on this game... First things first is getting the snap pivot and leiah back step trophies out of the way, any easy way of doing this?

Also i read about the coliseum leveling trick, so i may just do that to get everyone to max.
Does anyone know how many battles are needed for the <3 titles?

Labadal

Beat chapter 1 an hour ago. The time spent in menus is minimal compared to Graces f and Vesperia. I wonder if that is why the item/ability systems work the way they do. I also do not like the shops in this game at all. There are so many armors weapons I have just ignored because raising shops a few levels means that you just need to buy the best stuff. Buy the best stuff and the shop might be upgraded again with better stuff, so I want that instead. Combat is really fun. I've only played as the guys for now, but they all feel very different in the way they play, which is a good thing.

Soriku

Beat chapter 1 an hour ago. The time spent in menus is minimal compared to Graces f and Vesperia. I wonder if that is why the item/ability systems work the way they do. I also do not like the shops in this game at all. There are so many armors weapons I have just ignored because raising shops a few levels means that you just need to buy the best stuff. Buy the best stuff and the shop might be upgraded again with better stuff, so I want that instead. Combat is really fun. I've only played as the guys for now, but they all feel very different in the way they play, which is a good thing.

Buy all the elemental weapons you can get. Even if one weapon's stats are higher than another's, you can still do more damage with the "weaker" weapon if the enemy is weak to a specific element.

Weapons with no element you don't have to worry about as much, though I'd buy one every once in a while if its stats are notably higher than another's, just for more general use.

PKrockin

I have the symbol, its great.

I may be going for the platinum on this game... First things first is getting the snap pivot and leiah back step trophies out of the way, any easy way of doing this?

Also i read about the coliseum leveling trick, so i may just do that to get everyone to max.
Does anyone know how many battles are needed for the <3 titles?

The <3 titles are based on time spent linked together. I think it's around 20 minutes.

For Leia, Elongated Staff is easier to activate with flash guards, if you have the skill that lets you do that. I think you need to wait for it to run out until another flash guard will count to the total.

You shouldn't have too much trouble with Jude given the speed and distance of his backstep.

Milennia

The <3 titles are based on time spent linked together. I think it's around 20 minutes.

For Leia, Elongated Staff is easier to activate with flash guards, if you have the skill that lets you do that. I think you need to wait for it to run out until another flash guard will count to the total.

You shouldn't have too much trouble with Jude given the speed and distance of his backstep.

I guess i could just pick a random fight and run in a giant circle for 20 minutes with each character lol.

I have read up on some pivot tricks, my real problem is leia as I'm reading hers is a little odd to get off, so i was looking for a cheap way to get it over with :p

Maybe put the game on easy and start a low level encounter with everyone on manual so i can just go nuts and spam it.

Zafir

You don't have to wait for it to wear off. As long as you get the little noise it counts. Hell with that flash guard skill you can literally just mash guard to do the trophy lol
I guess i could just pick a random fight and run in a giant circle for 20 minutes with each character lol.

I have read up on some pivot tricks, my real problem is leia as I'm reading hers is a little odd to get off, so i was looking for a cheap way to get it over with :p

Maybe put the game on easy and start a low level encounter with everyone on manual so i can just go nuts and spam it.
Just kill every enemy besides 1, put everyone besides elize on protect themselves (only heal for elize) and spam square with the flash guard activating elongating staff skill. You'll get it after 15mins ish.

Labadal

Buy all the elemental weapons you can get. Even if one weapon's stats are higher than another's, you can still do more damage with the "weaker" weapon if the enemy is weak to a specific element.

Weapons with no element you don't have to worry about as much, though I'd buy one every once in a while if its stats are notably higher than another's, just for more general use.

When I have spare money, I make sure to buy one of each item for collection purposes and like you said, use elemental weapons when needed.

Milennia

When I have spare money, I make sure to buy one of each item for collection purposes and like you said, use elemental weapons when needed.

You have a ton of opportunities to get loads of money late game, mobs give you about 2k a piece, along with side quests etc. or jet black feather farming, you could probably get away with just buying all of the side crap post game and just focus on weapons, thats what i did.

Labadal

You have a ton of opportunities to get loads of money late game, mobs give you about 2k a piece, along with side quests etc. or jet black feather farming, you could probably get away with just buying all of the side crap post game and just focus on weapons, thats what i did.

That's how I am doing it/will do it for the rest of the game.

It's just that it's funny when I bought a helmet for Jude, the shop upgraded thanks to that and there was a new, better helmet that I immediately bought then and there. It's not a big deal per se. I just liked tinkering with equipment in Graces f. Don't know how many hours I spent out of battle, probably 90% of my playtime.

Milennia

That's how I am doing it/will do it for the rest of the game.

It's just that it's funny when I bought a helmet for Jude, the shop upgraded thanks to that and there was a new, better helmet that I immediately bought then and there. It's not a big deal per se. I just liked tinkering with equipment in Graces f. Don't know how many hours I spent out of battle, probably 90% of my playtime.

Oh yeah, its a total tease those damn shops lol.

Who knows how to make transparent avatars? Im dumb as fuck when it comes to photoshop :/ i guess they would need to be resized for gaf as well.
Someone in another had done it for me once and it was awesome.
These are them,

[http://i.imgur.com/efDfQ82.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qjOblr3.jpg

(If the first one is too difficult just trash it lol)
Thanks for anyone who can.

ubercheez

Oh yeah, its a total tease those damn shops lol.

Who knows how to make transparent avatars? Im dumb as fuck when it comes to photoshop :/ i guess they would need to be resized for gaf as well.
Someone in another had done it for me once and it was awesome.
These are them,

[http://i.imgur.com/efDfQ82.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qjOblr3.jpg

(If the first one is too difficult just trash it lol)
Thanks for anyone who can.

Here's the second one. :p

http://imgur.com/6m5EMR9

Tizoc

GODDAMNIT ALVIN
why'd he rat us out to Caius/Gaius for again?
Also, just learned that Alvin is voiced by Tomokazu Sugita in the JP dub.

coopolon

THis game is frustrating me so much. I am really enjoying it all except in combat I feel like I am just button mashing. I am playing on the difficulty above normal. I am in nia khara so I guess that is still really early. Here is hoping that the combat just clicks at some point. I am primarily playing milla, maybe I should switch to Jude for awhile. The only problem with me playing him is I forget to to heal.

It seems like most of the ac increasing skills are linked to guarding, and I never manage to guard correctly, the enemy I am hitting can't hit me back but I always get hit from some other enemy I can't see so can't guard against. I am pretty sure my linked partners are set to guard my back, maybe I should check on that though.

I also can't figure out the exp bonus system. I normally get one to three, sometimes get six but I don't know what I did to get that much extra. I know it is time, damage taken, and max hits. Since I can't figure out guarding I try to get my max hits up but my ac is only 4 or so.

Every time I quit I say I am not coming back, but I keep coming back.

PKrockin

You don't have to wait for it to wear off. As long as you get the little noise it counts. Hell with that flash guard skill you can literally just mash guard to do the trophy lol
Oh, really? I read on Gamefaqs somewhere you have to wait for it to wear off.

THis game is frustrating me so much. I am really enjoying it all except in combat I feel like I am just button mashing. I am playing on the difficulty above normal. I am in nia khara so I guess that is still really early. Here is hoping that the combat just clicks at some point. I am primarily playing milla, maybe I should switch to Jude for awhile. The only problem with me playing him is I forget to to heal.

It seems like most of the ac increasing skills are linked to guarding, and I never manage to guard correctly, the enemy I am hitting can't hit me back but I always get hit from some other enemy I can't see so can't guard against. I am pretty sure my linked partners are set to guard my back, maybe I should check on that though.

I also can't figure out the exp bonus system. I normally get one to three, sometimes get six but I don't know what I did to get that much extra. I know it is time, damage taken, and max hits. Since I can't figure out guarding I try to get my max hits up but my ac is only 4 or so.

Every time I quit I say I am not coming back, but I keep coming back.
If you can't see the enemies zoom out the camera. Open the battle menu and hold L1.

cj_iwakura

Elize + sunglasses = boss.

I see absolutely no reason to pair Jude with anyone other than Millia. They're untouchable. Final Gale!

Soriku

Elize + sunglasses = boss.

I see absolutely no reason to pair Jude with anyone other than Millia. They're untouchable. Final Gale!

Jude + Leia for Tempest Pirouette which is a great AoE attack.

Should I buy an elemental weapon even if is not the strongest when it comes to physical damage?

Yes. If an enemy is weak to a certain element often the elemental weapon will do more damage than a weapon with higher physical damage.

Labadal

Should I buy an elemental weapon even if is not the strongest when it comes to physical damage?

Absolutely. With Jude, in one of the caves, I'm using knuckles with wind damage which do great damage to enemies.

I visited old Vicelle Mines or whatever they are called. Met those enderman like enemies (they are in other Tales games too). They were more challenging than any other fight so far, including boss fights. Had to use 8 Life Bottles, lol. The gloves helped, even if I still did pathetic damage. Gained one level in that fight alone. I could grind there, but I'm afraid I'd cause the game to become too easy.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
56 hours in.

What the hell... what I honestly, really honestly thought as last-boss end-game material, turned out to be just transitioning scene towards
Elympios.

I feel silly too, running around Rieze Maxia before engaging
the real maxwell
to raise my Grade because I honestly thought it's going to be the final battle.

And then the game threw
Elympios
at me. Holy crap.

Everyone is level 60-ish, and shops are all at level 80-ish except for Food which is at 78. I don't think I will raise them to 100... too much work without Grade Shop bonus.

My Grade right now is 3100-ish.

Uthred

Finally started playing this, only just finished the Seahaven bit but I'm enjoying it so far. Characters seem decent and the game looks surprisingly good, especially the environments. Still trying to get the hang of combat, keep forgetting theres attacks beyond the netural ones. In terms of the orb grid can you cock a character up or is it fairly idiot proof?

Proven

Tales is at its best when it builds up a boss before throwing a plot twist and curve ball. It's actually part of what made the last act of Vesperia not as good... its final plot twist and subsequent sequence wasn't as great.

Soriku

56 hours in.

What the hell... what I honestly, really honestly thought as last-boss end-game material, turned out to be just transitioning scene towards
Elympios.

I feel silly too, running around Rieze Maxia before engaging
the real maxwell
to raise my Grade because I honestly thought it's going to be the final battle.

And then the game threw
Elympios
at me. Holy crap.

Everyone is level 60-ish, and shops are all at level 80-ish except for Food which is at 78. I don't think I will raise them to 100... too much work without Grade Shop bonus.

My Grade right now is 3100-ish.

Both Graces and Xillia don't have you start NG+ after saving your game after the last boss like the older games. They just send you back to the last save point and something new unlocks. Then when you want to start NG+, you select the option from the main menu.

So you didn't have to grind Grade as there's no rush :p

Tizoc

Well I just made it to the big boat.
It's a really big boat.

A few questions though, keep in mind I am playing Jude's story:
Why did Maxwell do the Schism for? Why were the two worlds split? I don't recall them explaining that.
If the Schism occured...what 2000 years ago was it, how did Alvin and others make it into Reiza Maxia?
How long have Exodus been around exactly?
If any of these get answered in due time then you don't need to answer them.

Zafir

Well I just made it to the big boat.
It's a really big boat.

A few questions though, keep in mind I am playing Jude's story:
Why did Maxwell do the Schism for? Why were the two worlds split? I don't recall them explaining that.
If the Schism occured...what 2000 years ago was it, how did Alvin and others make it into Reiza Maxia?
How long have Exodus been around exactly?
If any of these get answered in due time then you don't need to answer them.
All will be explained.

Zafir

This platinum is easy but time consuming, holy crap.
It's really not that time consuming. I think I had 70-80 hours on my save when I got the plat. It could have easily been less as well, since I took my time playing it, and that time will include idling on the triangle menu.

Milennia

It's really not that time consuming. I think I had 70-80 hours on my save when I got the plat. It could have easily been less as well, since I took my time playing it, and that time will include idling on the triangle menu.

Thats time consuming, considering i started at 40 hours lol thats double my time and most of my time is afk.

Zafir

Thats time consuming, considering i started at 40 hours lol thats double my time and most of my time is afk.
I suppose the definition of time consuming varies from person to person. :p

I'd say compared to other RPG's it isn't too bad honestly. The fact I even went for it says a lot, because I only go for platinums on games I enjoy playing and don't seem to be to tedious to do.

Milennia

I suppose the definition of time consuming varies from person to person. :p

I'd say compared to other RPG's it isn't too bad honestly. The fact I even went for it says a lot, because I only go for platinums on games I enjoy playing and don't seem to be to tedious to do.
Oh for sure, I'm only going for it because i love this game lol, i hate platinums in RPGs, i usually don't have the patience.

Ill get it, just need to not fuck up the sub events again :/

Zafir

Oh for sure, I'm only going for it because i love this game lol, i hate platinums in RPGs, i usually don't have the patience.

Ill get it, just need to not fuck up the sub events again :/
I prepared in advanced for the sub events, I got so annoyed in previous Tales of games that I missed stuff, I used a missables list here.

That said, they're actually a LOT more forgiving in Xillia, you often get a skit notification telling you to go somewhere for sub events. That's a damn sight more than you get in the others.

Soriku

They're becoming more and more lenient with sidequests in these games. In Xillia 2 I believe there's even some sort of quest board. I don't know how much is missable there, but it's probably better than before.

I wish missables would just be done away with in every game. If I ever made a game, one of my top priorities would be to make sure that absolutely nothing is missable. All it does is put strain on the player and screws up the pacing if you wanna do something else first but are forced to do a sidequest or whatever you'd rather save for later, but will be missed if you wait too long.

The thing with some Tales sidequests (and skits) is that they relate to the current events in the story, so it technically wouldn't make sense if you did it later. Still, there are probably ways they could think of to get around it.

I liked what Resonance of Fate did where you had chapters and all the quests you can get are on a quest board (which are shared amongst the towns). In each chapter, by doing some quests you can unlock others, so you have to keep updated. But the thing is, once you reach the end of a chapter, you are still given the option of playing in that chapter until you manually decide to move to the next one. So if you see no more quests available on the board by the time you're at the end of the chapter, you can safely move on to the next one.

There's no stress or worry involved. You still have to complete all the quests before moving on to the next chapter if you want to get everything done, but there aren't THAT many per chapter, and it's a lot better than practically every RPG I've played. It's just very organized and convenient.

I wish every RPG was like that.

Zafir

They're becoming more and more lenient with sidequests in these games. In Xillia 2 I believe there's even some sort of quest board. I don't know how much is missable there, but it's probably better than before.

I wish missables would just be done away with in every game. If I ever made a game, one of my top priorities would be to make sure that absolutely nothing is missable. All it does is put strain on the player and screws up the pacing if you wanna do something else first but are forced to do a sidequest or whatever you'd rather save for later, but will be missed if you wait too long.

The thing with some Tales sidequests (and skits) is that they relate to the current events in the story, so it technically wouldn't make sense if you did it later. Still, there are probably ways they could think of to get around it.

I liked what Resonance of Fate did where you had chapters and all the quests you can get are on a quest board (which are shared amongst the towns). In each chapter, by doing some quests you can unlock others, so you have to keep updated. But the thing is, once you reach the end of a chapter, you are still given the option of playing in that chapter until you manually decide to move to the next one. So if you see no more quests available on the board by the time you're at the end of the chapter, you can safely move on to the next one.

There's no stress or worry involved. You still have to complete all the quests before moving on to the next chapter if you want to get everything done, but there aren't THAT many per chapter, and it's a lot better than practically every RPG I've played. It's just very organized and convenient.

I wish every RPG was like that.
Yeah I agree. Reminds me that I still need to finish Resonance of Fate.

Milennia

So on my new game plus, where i play as milla.. Will i be able to complete the 90 sub events if i get the missables/can only miss 7?

Top Bottom