• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

fuck, don't tell me jude becomes one of those.

he seems pretty level headed most of the part. he even acknowledges that he is a bit goody 2 shoes.

everyone else seems to come and go though, which is the main reason why i pretty much always stick with just playing the protag in tales games. If you aren't gonna stick around, i'm not gonna bother learning how you play.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've hit a bit of a wall with Xillia, which is a shame as normally my JRPG wall comes just before the final boss :p

I've played for quite a long time, although I suspect I'm not out of Chapter 1 yet -
I'm off to get Teepo back from being kidnapped
and it feels as though absolutely nothing has happened - and the battles are pretty easy so it doesn't feel like I'm having to work at it, it's just a bit of a grind trudging through the poorly designed fields in particular.

I guess I also like a bit more positive feedback - Graces was excellent at constantly making you want to carry on battling due to the near-endless flow of stars filling up in your title lists, whereas the feedback from Xillia comes much slower and less noticeably ("bung four points somewhere in the Lillium Orb, fail to notice the difference because everything dies the same as it did before, prioritise Arts over everything else"). Maybe I'm just employing reductio ad absurdam but it just hasn't grabbed me like Graces did most recently - although at least it's not the boring "use Art 50 times to get new one" schtick from Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia.

Yes, I prefer Team Destiny titles, why do you ask :p

It's not like I think it's a terrible game - it's a decent enough JRPG, which is more than a miracle this generation - but it's treading a fine line between "fun" and "grinding".
Nope. Your opinion seems more in-line with my own, and it's certainly not a bad thing to feel that way. Even on Hard, I felt like the game was easy (even with the stupid Hearts-designed bosses, and it's something that I can foresee happening with Tales games in the future, so the bosses probably mightn't get better; the R games aren't really a good indicator of boss design since other people have worked on them). I didn't spend as long with the final boss as kayos did, because I did the right thing and stole their healing gear. :p

Like I said before, I don't play Tales games for the narrative or characters and I never have, so this is certainly part of the reason why I don't think of Xillia as favourably as you guys do. I disliked that the systems were incoherent compared to Tales of Graces, much like you, because you don't get that feedback after you're completing battles almost constantly, and none of the systems feed into each other as smoothly as Graces' did.

I suppose you're not taking too well to the more streamlined design, especially in terms of levelling, and on my second plat run, I didn't like it much either. It's so bog-standard and boring. Perhaps the Arrowcell Orb system in Xillia 2 might serve you better, where you basically equip amplifiers reminiscent of Capacity Cores in order to learn new skills. You get elemental points on the field and in-battle in order to accelerate your progress for certain skills. I am not, however, a fan of how SP is gained. It's grindy and dumb.

Either way, Xillia is a good game and I had fun with the battle system during normal battles, but a lot of it--systems, lack of regular Tales stuff, environments, dungeon design, last chapter, etc--screams wasted potential to me.

Oh nice, thought I was just losing them. (very late game spoilers I guess)
I'm headed for what I assume is the final dungeon, is there a way to visit the feather dude?

Once you reach the final dungeon, you'll see the path split into two. One leads to another orb where you can return back to Milla's house and do whatever sidequesting you want.

The other path will lead to a ledge where you'll jump down and be stuck into finishing the game.

There are actually no save points past the ledge so once you beat the final boss, you'll return back to your last save point with the bonuses you gained.

This is also where you can go between the two different worlds.

aravuus

fuck, don't tell me jude becomes one of those.

he seems pretty level headed most of the part. he even acknowledges that he is a bit goody 2 shoes.

The kind that tries to do everything by himself? (Minor spoilers I guess)
He does it all the time, but thankfully it never leads anywhere and everyone will just forcefully join him in whatever he was going to do.

e: ^^^^ alright, thanks dakkumauji

every tales games scream wasted potential lol. It's like they have grand plans of stuff at the beginning... then they just don't give a fuck 70% through, for everything, battle systems, world, story, characters, etc.

some games do some parts better than others... but yeah,

has there ever been a tales game where boss fights are fun?

Rhapsody

Banned
Destiny R.
The right answer. Plus there were higher difficulty bonuses by getting certain artes by playing on a certain difficulty.
Pretty much. I have to say I did enjoy fighting Emeraude in Graces though that one move was stupid as fuck.
Oh, that move. On point, it wasn't so bad since you can just around step the whole thing and come out unscathed.

Too bad you couldn't tell your party to do the same.

Thorgal

hit a small problem.

took on a job in sharilston to go kill some beasts on the sapstrath highroad.
Problem is that ive been searching that field up and down for a while but i can't find them.

Anyone know where they are ?

Edit : never mind i found them.

I like how in this game you can really customise the accessories you get for comedic effect.

2013_8_12_17_32_29.png

2013_8_12_17_37_22.png

It's kinda funny running into battle with giant eyebrows, spaz glasses, backpacks and a drippy nose circling your characters heads whilst they fight. Adds a weird element to cutscenes too.

I like how in this game you can really customise the accessories you get for comedic effect.

2013_8_12_17_32_29.png

2013_8_12_17_37_22.png

It's kinda funny running into battle with giant eyebrows, spaz glasses, backpacks and a drippy nose circling your characters heads whilst they fight. Adds a weird element to cutscenes too.

holy fuck, didn't know you can customize location of those stuff o_O

game has tutorials for battles and what not but not any of the important stuff!

You mean like Yuri? Yuri is da best.

Definitely one of the worst aspects of many JRPG protagonists, along with being naive and just plain stupid. And hypocritical.

Jude isn't bad, thankfully. I agree with him on some things, disagree on others. He's been stupid from time to time, but he's not insufferable. A good enough protagonist, I'd say.

I wonder if we'll ever again get someone as perfect as Yuri as a Tales protagonist.

Yuri was one of my favorite JRPG protagonists. He was so darn unpredictable and everything he did I just stopped guessing and just watched (I can usually guess what happens next for JRPG protagonists and I'm usually 90% correct most of the time, but I couldn't predict for him which was great). I still remember the first scene where he saw a guard guarding the royal part of the city. He was discussing with Repede about sneaking in and my thought was "welp here comes the sneaking missi... what the... did he just throw a rock at them, lol."

Also he did the biggest thing I've ever seen a JRPG character do that I thought would never be done. He literally
assassinated someone because they were bad, it wasn't a battle, it wasn't something the party did, nope
. He did it all himself. That totally took me by surprise and that's when I decided "best protagonist I've ever seen in a JRPG."

Not to mention I also liked the fact that he was a
normal guy
He wasn't some prodigy, he wasn't some hero, he was just some dude who was in the knights years ago and lived in the poor part of town.
Just knowing that some regular guy was able to
save the world
really made it feel great and made the story stand out.

Sorry about my little rant and going a little off topic here, but the dude literally amazed me with how they made him out to be in that game.

hit a small problem.

took on a job in sharilston to go kill some beasts on the sapstrath highroad.
Problem is that ive been searching that field up and down for a while but i can't find them.

Anyone know where they are ?

Edit : never mind i found them.

It's an offshoot all the way to the north. For some reason they weren't there the first time I went through but they appeared when I went back and looked.

aravuus

Also he did the biggest thing I've ever seen a JRPG character do that I thought would never be done. He literally
assassinated someone because they were bad, it wasn't a battle, it wasn't something the party did, nope
. He did it all himself. That totally took me by surprise and that's when I decided "best protagonist I've ever seen in a JRPG."

This was definitely the biggest thing about him I'd say, taking the unpredictability to the max. Goddamn Yuri was awesome.

Also, that Isla sub-plot
ended in a pretty depressing note... At first I thought she died but I'm not sure if this is any better

I know right? Mess around with it for five minutes and you can come up with some crazy stuff :p

Mess around with it for five minutes and you suddenly notice you've been messing around with it for half an hour

Proven

Yeah, it's mostly the reason I've been avoiding this thread until now. I came back here once just to check where everyone was at, and saw a spoiler just layed out for me. So I decided to come back to the thread after I got far enough in the game.
But if I don't come here to discuss battle strategy I won't get any better!

I've hit a bit of a wall with Xillia, which is a shame as normally my JRPG wall comes just before the final boss :p

I've played for quite a long time, although I suspect I'm not out of Chapter 1 yet -
I'm off to get Teepo back from being kidnapped
and it feels as though absolutely nothing has happened - and the battles are pretty easy so it doesn't feel like I'm having to work at it, it's just a bit of a grind trudging through the poorly designed fields in particular.

I guess I also like a bit more positive feedback - Graces was excellent at constantly making you want to carry on battling due to the near-endless flow of stars filling up in your title lists, whereas the feedback from Xillia comes much slower and less noticeably ("bung four points somewhere in the Lillium Orb, fail to notice the difference because everything dies the same as it did before, prioritise Arts over everything else"). Maybe I'm just employing reductio ad absurdam but it just hasn't grabbed me like Graces did most recently - although at least it's not the boring "use Art 50 times to get new one" schtick from Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia.

Yes, I prefer Team Destiny titles, why do you ask :p

It's not like I think it's a terrible game - it's a decent enough JRPG, which is more than a miracle this generation - but it's treading a fine line between "fun" and "grinding".

Nope. Your opinion seems more in-line with my own, and it's certainly not a bad thing to feel that way. Even on Hard, I felt like the game was easy (even with the stupid Hearts-designed bosses, and it's something that I can foresee happening with Tales games in the future, so the bosses probably mightn't get better; the R games aren't really a good indicator of boss design since other people have worked on them). I didn't spend as long with the final boss as kayos did, because I did the right thing and stole their healing gear. :p

Like I said before, I don't play Tales games for the narrative or characters and I never have, so this is certainly part of the reason why I don't think of Xillia as favourably as you guys do. I disliked that the systems were incoherent compared to Tales of Graces, much like you, because you don't get that feedback after you're completing battles almost constantly, and none of the systems feed into each other as smoothly as Graces' did.

I suppose you're not taking too well to the more streamlined design, especially in terms of levelling, and on my second plat run, I didn't like it much either. It's so bog-standard and boring. Perhaps the Arrowcell Orb system in Xillia 2 might serve you better, where you basically equip amplifiers reminiscent of Capacity Cores in order to learn new skills. You get elemental points on the field and in-battle in order to accelerate your progress for certain skills. I am not, however, a fan of how SP is gained. It's grindy and dumb.

Either way, Xillia is a good game and I had fun with the battle system during normal battles, but a lot of it--systems, lack of regular Tales stuff, environments, dungeon design, last chapter, etc--screams wasted potential to me.

I'm actually liking the Lilia Orb system (although not loving it). Most of the buffs are stat increases, but much of the skills you encircle can really adjust your playstyle. It might be because I'm still at the beginning so any little bit of variation helps when you only have a handful of artes to choose from. It also doesn't help that a majority of the skills you get early that aren't passive are still defensively minded (like the Guard skills). I'd probably like it more if the web was bigger from the beginning, and instead of unlocking one new ring at a time, you unlocked two or three. This would encourage you to actually specialize in certain directions from the get go.

Graces F had a very straight forward system which I enjoyed, but I didn't love it either. First, I still didn't like the fact that usage counts (which could at times be absurd) were the primary method of unlocking new artes and titles. If anything, usage counts should be less for higher level artes because you should be using them less often, not spamming, but they were often equal to or larger than their prerequisites.

demidar

Yuri was one of my favorite JRPG protagonists. He was so darn unpredictable and everything he did I just stopped guessing and just watched (I can usually guess what happens next for JRPG protagonists and I'm usually 90% correct most of the time, but I couldn't predict for him which was great). I still remember the first scene where he saw a guard guarding the royal part of the city. He was discussing with Repede about sneaking in and my thought was "welp here comes the sneaking missi... what the... did he just throw a rock at them, lol."

Not to mention I also liked the fact that he was a
normal guy
He wasn't some prodigy, he wasn't some hero, he was just some dude who was in the knights years ago and lived in the poor part of town.
Just knowing that some regular guy was able to
save the world
really made it feel great and made the story stand out.

Sorry about my little rant and going a little off topic here, but the dude literally amazed me with how they made him out to be in that game.

That was definitely the turning point for me, went from being a pretty good protag to one of the best. I can't think of a single JRPG hero that just goes straight for the jugular, in a manner of speaking. Should probably stop measuring all other protagonists against him, I'll just end up disappointed.

I would say Jude is good-ish so far. I'm up to that fortress everyone hates for reference. I wouldn't mind if he was less naive but that will probably happen later in the story, and it's nice that he doesn't whine all the time and recognizes the responsibilities that he voluntarily puts on himself.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Just bit the bullet and bought the game, looks like isn't as good as vesperia :(

BluWacky

Like I said before, I don't play Tales games for the narrative or characters and I never have, so this is certainly part of the reason why I don't think of Xillia as favourably as you guys do. I disliked that the systems were incoherent compared to Tales of Graces, much like you, because you don't get that feedback after you're completing battles almost constantly, and none of the systems feed into each other as smoothly as Graces' did

Absolutely agreed. To be fair to Xillia it's by far the smoothest execution of the "Team Symphonia" style to date, but it's still not as smooth as Graces by any means.

This sounds much more interesting, you're right. Here's to next year!

Levelling/upgrade systems are a huge part of the fun of JRPGs for me. Of course in Xillia you have all these skills like backsteps and so forth that you can learn, but I'm not "good enough" at Tales games to really get the most out of these, especially as there's no call for me to worry about them when I can mostly mash my way through battles. I end up equipping all the passive skills that give you Link benefits which seems to pretty much work.

The thing I really miss? A proper cooking system. The actual act of cooking in Tales games doesn't really interest me that much, but I love hunting down the Wonder Chefs, or Graces's endless recipe combinations - just upgrading shops here isn't anywhere near as much fun.

Young Magus

Seeing you all talk about Destiny R really has me hoping that the translation is finished something soon (3-5 years at best).

As for Xillia, I enjoyed the game from being to end. The Plot, eventhough it felt a bit rushed in some areas, was very strong and even played with a few things/ideas that are normally featured in the series in a decent manner. I had a better feel for the plot and cared for the world then I did with Abyss and Graces. I played though Jude's side so it may play a role in my love for the world building.

The Characters themselves are enjoyable and managed to not irritate me. The skits were pretty well done and I managed to get a chuckle or a smile quite a few times from them
DEAR LORD, THE BAZANGAS SKIT
. As a Tales MC, Jude is a nice change of pace in both combat and character although
I did kinda find him a bit irrational at a certain part in the mid-late game, which was often brought up with folks who played in when it was out in Japan.

The combat, as usual for a Tales game was top notch. For only the second time in a Tales game, I found myself often switching between the Characters in combat because it WAS FUN TO DO SO!!! Jude is OP(But fun dammit!!!!) but besides him my favourites were Millia, Leia, and Alivn. Some bosses were a bit annoying but when worse comes to worse, I just switched back down to normal (I was playing moderate). I also kinda felt that the mix of AC(the little counter next to your character with the sword) and TP was unneeded.

The OST was decent but the only highlight for me was the themes of
the second world
.Nothing was bad by any means, but at the sometime, nothing wow'd me.

Overall, I had a blast with this game and I was happy that this came out overseas. I can't wait for Xillia 2 since the story is said to be MUCH better. It terms of the Tales games I've played it would probably be up there with Vesperia as a top favorite.

Also is it just me or does
Alivn's backstabbing tendencies are up to eleven even for Tales Standards? Seems that every other faction that appears in the game he works with or helps out in there plans.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Also is it just me or does
Alivn's backstabbing tendencies are up to eleven even for Tales Standards? Seems that every other faction that appears in the game he works with or helps out in there plans.

Apparently that was done on purpose to keep the player curious as to why that was happening.

Okay, I now understand the thread title. Perfect :D

Also I agree with Yuri being one of the best JRPG protagonists ever. Personally he is probably my favourite protag in a videogame, but I'm biased since I have a man-crush on Troy Baker's voice, it certainly helped.

Bladenic

My go to ones by late game were Torrent Impact, Scarlet fang, Twin Lance, Dimensional Gate, and Ruination Fang.

What's Scarlet Fang? Who are the partners? Don't recognize the name.

But I love Torrent Impact. Is it a good translation of the JP name? I loved the way Jude and Milla called out the JP name.

Also, I think I'm near or right before the final dungeon. In which case... Chapter 4's story was definitely rushed.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

But I love Torrent Impact. Is it a good translation of the JP name? I loved the way Jude and Milla called out the JP name.

Scarlet Fang is probably one of the more broken Link Artes in the game. You need to unlock a special arte for Jude in order to use it. Twin lance is extremely good as well.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Also, I think I'm near or right before the final dungeon. In which case... Chapter 4's story was definitely rushed.

Chapter 4 spoilers:
I would have liked to spend more time in Elympios, but that's what we have Xillia 2 for.

Nope, starts going down. I'm at 2 now. It blows.

Also wtf at Elize being 6-7 levels higher than everyone else. She's 71, everyone else is mid 60s.

Elize gets a skill where she gets bonus exp based off the amount of healing she does in a battle. You can imagine how quickly that adds up.

Voror

Scarlet Fang is probably one of the more broken Link Artes in the game. You need to unlock a special arte for Jude in order to use it. Twin lance is extremely good as well.

How does one get the special arte to get it?

Been having a fun time in the Floodplain area grinding a bit. Startig to slow down a bit now that I'm level 34, but I'm getting great materials as well. Weapon shop is already at 45. I sort of wish more gentlemen would show up given the great exp they give.

The skits in this game are quite hilarious as well.

Top Bottom