• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

aravuus

Also, I think I'm near or right before the final dungeon. In which case... Chapter 4's story was definitely rushed.

Yeah, a goddamn shame. I wanted to see
Alvin make up with everyone in greater length. Alvin is fantastic.

Kagari, as good as you can tell me without spoiling it, what's Xillia 2's story about?
Is it a completely new story with most of the same old cast, same world(s) etc? I remember reading something like it being a "what-if" story, a different way Xillia's story could unfold or something? Honestly makes it sound maybe a bit boring, I can't see it offering any omg mind blown twists if it's pretty much the same stuff

Nope, starts going down. I'm at 2 now. It blows.

Also wtf at Elize being 6-7 levels higher than everyone else. She's 71, everyone else is mid 60s.

Is that because
you unlock a second Lilium Orb and therefore it costs less to upgrade? I've just unlocked a second one for most of the characters but I haven't levelled up since. I didn't know if this was even worth a spoiler tag, thought I would anyway.

Nope, starts going down. I'm at 2 now. It blows.

Also wtf at Elize being 6-7 levels higher than everyone else. She's 71, everyone else is mid 60s.

That makes me a bit happy to hear because ever since I got Elize, I've been beating too many battles with her dead, including a boss, so she's one level behind now. Hopefully I can make her catch up, soon...

And here I thought Milla had bad defense...

Luckily he does'nt go BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE ! :p

I haven't played Vesperia, but is that something as annoying as "Go, Teepo! Sharing is caring!"?

Bladenic

Kagari, as good as you can tell me without spoiling it, what's Xillia 2's story about?
Is it a completely new story with most of the same old cast, same world(s) etc? I remember reading something like it being a "what-if" story, a different way Xillia's story could unfold or something? Honestly makes it sound maybe a bit boring, I can't see it offering any omg mind blown twists if it's pretty much the same stuff

Yeah same here. Plus
the Gaius and Muzet partnership needs to be explored more. And then there's Elympios being so empty, though that's rectified in 2. As for the Xillia 2 storyline, it involves alternate worlds, so in some of them different things happened compared to what happens in Xillia 1.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

The story is a continuation from Xillia 1 in that
Jude is trying to figure out how to get Spyrites working so the world doesn't have to rely on Spyrix which kills spirits. The research is going well. Ludger is the MC and he lives with his brother Julius but he ends up running into a weird girl named Elle and is pulled into alternate worlds. He's trying to discover the nature of the alternate worlds, his mysteriously awakened power, while trying to protect Elle from the many dangers of the world. That's the really really basic gist of it.

Bladenic

That makes me a bit happy to hear because ever since I got Elize, I've been beating too many battles with her dead, including a boss, so she's one level behind now. Hopefully I can make her catch up, soon...

And here I thought Milla had bad defense...

Elize has better survival than Rowen though. Rowen gets sneezed on (at least on Hard) and dies haha.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

It takes place a year after the events of Xillia with a new main character, although he eventually encounters everyone from the original cast including playable Gaius and Muzet. It's definitely not a 'what-if' story although it does deal in alternate histories in a way. Basically these pockets of alternate timelines keep popping up all over the world and need to be destroyed. The main character is given this task and you're able to see certain parts of the world in different ways because of it. Xillia 2 begins in Elympios as well, so you'll be getting a lot more time with familiar and new areas there.

The story in Xillia 2 really isn't boring at all though. By allowing players to play as an all new character with some new NPCs tied to the story it works out well and it's definitely a more emotional story than Xillia since you'll be making a lot of choices that impact the outcome of the game.

Elize has better survival than Rowen though. Rowen gets sneezed on (at least on Hard) and dies haha.

Elize is actually developed like a tank. She gets all the guarding related skills and has high defense and magic defense. Just not that much HP.

Rowen on the other hand has low HP and low defenses. Instead, he's basically your glass cannon.

aravuus

Yeah same here. Plus
the Gaius and Muzet partnership needs to be explored more. And then there's Elympios being so empty, though that's rectified in 2. As for the Xillia 2 storyline, it involves alternate worlds, so in some of them different things happened compared to what happens in Xillia 1.

Yeah that too,
Muzet just went from calm and collected to a crazy, problem-ridden woman in a matter of hours. And then Gaius recruited her. And she got instantly better. And yes, I'm looking forward to seeing more of Elympios in X2.
The story is a continuation from Xillia 1 in that
Jude is trying to figure out how to get Spyrites working so the world doesn't have to rely on Spyrix which kills spirits. The research is going well. Ludger is the MC and he lives with his brother Julius but he ends up running into a weird girl named Elle and is pulled into alternate worlds. He's trying to discover the nature of the alternate worlds, his mysteriously awakened power, while trying to protect Elle from the many dangers of the world. That's the really really basic gist of it.

You know, that actually sounds like the most interesting premise for a Tales of story so far lol. Maybe because I love
the concept of alternate worlds
and a Tales treatment should make for some interesting stuff.

Sure hope that "early 2014" I read somewhere was true, I'm already getting pretty goddamn pumped about the game!

e:
The story in Xillia 2 really isn't boring at all though. By allowing players to play as an all new character with some new NPCs tied to the story it works out well and it's definitely a more emotional story than Xillia since you'll be making a lot of choices that impact the outcome of the game.

Choices and more emotional
? Oh man that makes me feel warm inside. X2 can't come soon enough!

Bladenic

Elize is actually developed like a tank. She gets all the guarding related skills and has high defense and magic defense. Just not that much HP.

Rowen on the other hand has low HP and low defenses. Instead, he's basically your glass cannon.

Yup, I haven't unlocked them yet but she has two skills that make everything do 1 damage as long as you guard. Sounds ridiculously broken. I should start playing as her, I never tried her before.

I love that the AI immediately casts Dispel as long as 2 people have an ailment. So awesome. They really should have given Leia Dispel, poor girl can't compete with Elize (though that's usually the case with single target healers, and I don't think Leia is really meant to be a main healer anyway, just back up).

As for Rowen, he's awesome but his damage output isn't as great against enemies with no weaknesses or no water or earth weaknesses. If the AI used tuning more he would be great against fire weak enemies too, Fireball is super strong when tuned.

Yeah that too, Muzet just went from calm and collected to a crazy, problem-ridden woman in a matter of hours. And then Gaius recruited her. And she got instantly better. And yes, I'm looking forward to seeing more of Elympios in X2.

That's another thing that suffered due to being cut.
There was supposed to be a part where you played as Gaius and Muzet but it was cut.

kayos90

I'm not sure it was necessary to say it out loud with that username :lol

Aww you party pooper, I'm gonna stick with my optimism!

Well no matter, got to study in the city I wanted to so next year will go by in a flash

There's optimism and then there's blind optimism. There's no way Xillia 2 is coming out before August 2014.

Darn, I didn't fight with him yet, now I'm not looking forward to it. lol. Maybe I can sway the table by purposely focusing on leveling up his HP.

Don't expect Xillia 2 until September at the earliest honestly.

The only thing that I'm worried about is, well, the longer it takes for Xillia 2 to come out, the less I think we're going to get the next Tales game (the unannounced Tales of Z). I don't know if they would bring it to America two years after the PS4 comes out and the PS3 generation ends...

aravuus

It's a full length game.

Which reminds me, I forgot to ask: is it as rushed and short as X1? I know most people prefer short games but with JRPGs, I really expect, and hope for, a massively long game. I can't remember exactly how long Vesperia or Abyss took me, but both should be around 60 hours for the first playthrough.

Now I have 38 hours logged in Xillia, of which probably 5 are idling, and I'm ready to enter the final dungeon. And I have done pretty much everything so far. Honestly a very disappointing length.

There's optimism and then there's blind optimism. There's no way Xillia 2 is coming out before August 2014.

Rude! I'm not that optimistic, I'm also expecting Q3 release tbh

Darn, I didn't fight with him yet, now I'm not looking forward to it. lol. Maybe I can sway the table by purposely focusing on leveling up his HP.

Honestly, playing as him was a lot better than playing with Malik from Graces. There's a lot less enemies targeting only the human controlled character in this game so it's a lot easier to actually use the mage. His physical moves aren't bad either. It's more of take care of watching his HP.

His tuning ability is also loads of fun and he gains a bunch of skills that really reduces his spell casting time.

Aru

How is the stereo 3D in this game? As bad as in Naruto Shippuden 3? 3D support was a joke in that game, I couldn't see the differences with or without it activated. Hell, even the 2D to 3D conversion from my TV was a LOT better !

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Which reminds me, I forgot to ask: is it as rushed and short as X1? I know most people prefer short games but with JRPGs, I really expect, and hope for, a massively long game. I can't remember exactly how long Vesperia or Abyss took me, but both should be around 60 hours for the first playthrough.

Now I have 38 hours logged in Xillia, of which probably 5 are idling, and I'm ready to enter the final dungeon. And I have done pretty much everything so far. Honestly a very disappointing length.

Xillia 2 took me about 35 hours without doing many of the side quests iirc. The story definitely didn't feel rushed. To me, it seemed they had more time to focus on the characters this time since most of the world was already built.

kayos90

Sorry. Not trying to be rude.

Z..

For those who have played both extensively: Xillia or Vesperia? Want to buy a Tales game, not sure which one...

tales games shouldn't be over 40 hours.

jrpgs shouldn't be over 40 hours unless they can sustain it in terms of story and skill progression.

maybe i'm just getting old and cranky (even though im 23), but my tolerance for 'padding' is getting quite low :S

i'd probably think more highly of most tales games if they ended about 20 hours earlier.

aravuus

Sorry. Not trying to be rude.

Well I wasn't exactly offended lol so no worries dude

Xillia 2 took me about 35 hours without doing many of the side quests iirc. The story definitely didn't feel rushed. To me, it seemed they had more time to focus on the characters this time since most of the world was already built.

Ah yeah, that's true. So it's probably a fairly good length for it.

For those who have played both extensively: Xillia or Vesperia? Want to buy a Tales game, not sure which one...

I'd honestly just say that read short plot summaries for both and choose the one you find more interesting. Xillia and Vesperia pretty much share the first place on my "favorite Tales game" list.

Bladenic

jrpgs shouldn't be over 40 hours unless they can sustain it in terms of story and skill progression.

maybe i'm just getting old and cranky (even though im 23), but my tolerance for 'padding' is getting quite low :S

i'd probably think more highly of most tales games if they ended about 20 hours earlier.

But Xillia's story is paced well and with fast travel there's like no padding. There's little going back to other locations like TotA too. If anything, the story should've been longer.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Just wanted to make sure we are clear on the best JRPG main character.

Also does anyone else find it weird that the dialog bubbles are gone?
They wanted to go for a more cinematic style with this one (notice that the cutscene direction and blocking is better than before), and from here on out, this is probably how Tales games are going to be designed in terms of cutscenes/NPC dialogue.

If you have access to both, I'd strongly suggest Vesperia, just because I feel like Vesperia's sidecontent and skill acquisition is more meaningful. Xillia's still a good starting point for people, though.

I prefer Xillia myself but I might be in the minority (yet again for another Tales).
Hey, I agreed with your points about Legendia and Abyss's cast. >.>

Eh, I feel like the pacing in this game is pretty good. Outside of little bits and pieces here and there, the pacing and flow of how the game is put together is pretty solid.

But Xillia's story is paced well and with fast travel there's like no padding. There's little going back to other locations like TotA too. If anything, the story should've been longer.

haven't had a problem with xillia yet, but i'm not done lol. these dungeons seem to drag though... and i feel like i'm wasting a bunch of time going off the beaten path to look for shit, because well... everything is shit.

whatever happen to getting dope new weapons in dungeons?

all i find is garbage donation stuff and some armor thats worse than the shit im wearing.

Bladenic

Both have their merits but I liked Xillia's characters/world a bit more.

I actually don't much care for Xillia's world. Rieze Maxia feels too small IMO. It's well realized otherwise though, but I prefer Vesperia.

Anyone else find it amusing that you have these giant fields but then some towns are really small. Leronde is literally a single street with 2 buildings you can enter lmao.

Sorian

Banned
haven't had a problem with xillia yet, but i'm not done lol. these dungeons seem to drag though... and i feel like i'm wasting a bunch of time going off the beaten path to look for shit, because well... everything is shit.

whatever happen to getting dope new weapons in dungeons?

all i find is garbage donation stuff and some armor thats worse than the shit im wearing.

Be excited when you find donation stuff. Means you can upgrade your shop more and get some phat lootz

kayos90

I actually don't much care for Xillia's world. Rieze Maxia feels too small IMO. It's well realized otherwise though, but I prefer Vesperia.

Anyone else find it amusing that you have these giant fields but then some towns are really small. Leronde is literally a single street with 2 buildings you can enter lmao.

Well this is partially because the scope of Terca Lumereis is well conveyed through the usage of world-map travel. In Rieze Maxia, this doesn't happen. While it's true that RM is definitely smaller than TL, I think the world of RM and its mythos is very interesting in relation to the Guild vs Empire dynamic presented in TL.

Pooya

this shop upgrade system is a lot like that crappy upgrade system in FF13. it's better though, you don't have to do it per item >.<

aravuus

Haha, I swear
Wingus
shouts "do you mind?!" when he activates his overlimit

Also he always uses his mythic arte on
Rowen. Don't know if it has been a pure coincidence but if not, I think it's pretty cool.

Top Bottom