• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Import Thread - Turning Legends Into Hope

Fisico

Well 5 hours in, it's a technical mess and the camera is indeed annoying when you're too close to a wall and definitely not multiplayer friendly (I was in 2P mode most of the time)

Otherwise I think the game is fine, already spotted a Shiina track when
you track the Kitsune dude in Ladylake

I'll wait a bit more before judging any system the game has introduced so far.

YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSS

Finally

20150127_170929.jpg

I can finally play .

I'm finally part of those who can play this game.

After 45 minutes i'm now convinced that the reason why the screenshot to xmb function is gone is because all we would get would be jaggied.

Game is great so far , but damn those graphics , lol , especially when you get out of the first ( small ) dongeon.
I didn't expect much ,but it is still quite surprising.

Stuart444

After 45 minutes i'm now convinced that the reason why the screenshot to xmb function is gone is because all we would get would be jaggied.

Game is great so far , but damn those graphics , lol , especially when you get out of the first ( small ) dongeon.
I didn't expect much ,but it is still quite surprising.

Yeah, game badly needs some AA :/

Alisha DLC story confirmed.
1,300 yen

Too late Scamco.

Seriously the decisions regarding
this character is simply bizarre. They revealed her as one of the main characters alongside the protag. Advertise her a lot, have an OVA that hints that she will joining your party later on......and then on the release of the game she is absent for the vast majority. Now they are releasing DLC at an attempt to calm the backlash. Did they plan all along to have a port later on with Alisha being playable?

RangerBAD

Too late Scamco.

Seriously the decisions regarding
this character is simply bizarre. They revealed her as one of the main characters alongside the protag. Advertise her a lot, have an OVA that hints that she will joining your party later on......and then on the release of the game she is absent for the vast majority. Now they are releasing DLC at an attempt to calm the backlash. Did they plan all along to have a port later on with Alisha being playable?

This DLC is not an afterthought.

Rhapsody

Banned
I want import impressions in this thread. We have another thread for the DLC stuff. Pretty please? =(

That would be pretty nice. I'm still sifting through some of the thread to get some impressions while avoiding spoilers (besides the obvious one now).

Anyone know how long this game is, and if there's good post game content?

R0ckman

Confused about the Alisha reaction actually, wasn't it revealed pre-release that she couldn't even see most of the main cast? I remember reading that and figured she was going to be a support character, the alarm bells were there from the very beginning. I didn't however
know that they would throw her out of a majority of the game as a playable character.
That's insane.

Aeana

I want import impressions in this thread. We have another thread for the DLC stuff. Pretty please? =(

I know you want full impressions from me, but aside from the bits I've posted as I've played, I usually like to collect my thoughts once I'm completely done. It's easier for me that way! Especially since I flip-flop on stuff all the time.

It seems they're actually giving it for free in Japan for in a limited way? Don't know, just used google.

From Tales channel Twitter.

They also shared this.

B8W16CcCQAA_zSX.jpg:large

At least she got a swank new Sunday hat in this
I see my jokes about "Alicia Pants DLC" prove prophethetic. lololol

So yeah, that PS4 Tales of Zesteria f lookin' to be a mighty fine purchase in my future.

Rhapsody

Banned
Not liking that new outfit for Alisha too much.

I know you want full impressions from me, but aside from the bits I've posted as I've played, I usually like to collect my thoughts once I'm completely done. It's easier for me that way! Especially since I flip-flop on stuff all the time.

I'm looking forward to that, and it's probably for the best. I used to really like Xillia when I first played/beat it. Then my rank for it just went lower and lower as I thought about it.

Datschge

Anyone know how long this game is, and if there's good post game content?
Around the usual (non-"Team Symphonia") Tales length, so 40 hours. And post game content appears to be good.

Confused about the Alisha reaction actually, wasn't it revealed pre-release that she couldn't even see most of the main cast? I remember reading that and figured she was going to be a support character, the alarm bells were there from the very beginning. I didn't however
know that they would throw her out of a majority of the game as a playable character.
That's insane.
It's not insane since we also know for some time that a party only
fits two humans
. And if Alisha can't see most of the main cast she's
useless for the Kamui system so why even keep her in the party?

But reading your flip-flopping is half the fun. =(
No, I mean I'm not asking for "full" impressions. In the short ones in the DLC thread you mentioned that Zestiria felt "fresh" to you which is something I didn't garner here so far. Such simple impressions are nice.

Also you are not the only one playing and visiting this thread. But too many people keep talking about the DLC here instead the other thread.

Yes, and that they didn't just suddenly announce and make this to appease a negative reaction of a game that came out last week.
A somewhat negative reaction due to Alisha's absence started much earlier, way before the release of the game. There are several reasons why this surely wasn't planned way in advance and actually more of a publisher/developer mismatch, wrote about that in the DLC thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149391233&postcount=76

dramatis

hard to navigate around here for impressions.

What are the things that work and what things don't work?
Not that hard.
Zestiria cleared!
Took me ~34 hours on normal, with doing a good chuck of the side stuff. I really liked most of it - the battle system, characters and even the story wasn't too bad.
That said, the skill system was terrible and I still thing that they made you run around way too much.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So what part of the game did you really like :p
Battles were fun and I really liked some characters (Alisha definitely wasn't one of them). In general I think Zestiria is a solid game, but since I'm already tired of the ""open world"" formula, I didn't enjoy the field exploration. I blame recently clearing Dragon Age and playing a lot of FFXIV over the past 2 months.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Battles were fun and I really liked some characters (Alisha definitely wasn't one of them). In general I think Zestiria is a solid game, but since I'm already tired of the ""open world"" formula, I didn't enjoy the field exploration. I blame recently clearing Dragon Age and playing a lot of FFXIV over the past 2 months.

Just wondering, how would you compare it to Xillia, Vesperia, and Graces?

RangerBAD

A somewhat negative reaction due to Alisha's absence started much earlier, way before the release of the game. There are several reasons why this surely wasn't planned way in advance and actually more of a publisher/developer mismatch, wrote about that in the DLC thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149391233&postcount=76

I didn't really say the decision was made at the beginning of the dev cycle, just that it was planned.

I'll stay off of the DLC topic in this thread from now on.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Just wondering, how would you compare it to Xillia, Vesperia, and Graces?
I liked Vesperia much more because of the whole package, but stopped playing Xillia and Graces after a few hours because the opening parts were so boring.

Aeana

You know what, I don't like this game's opening. Most Tales games, I listen to the song sometimes when turning it on. This time, I don't want to hear it at all.

Bebpo

Banned
Been busy so didn't get a chance to play more until today. Only a couple of dungeons in. Is there any balance to this game? I'm playing on hard and it's jokingly easy using a Kamui character. I'm fairly worried that the Kamui system breaks the game and everyone is useless outside the Kamui character in terms of damage output, so the two other characters will just be used for support healing/buffing/debuffing/keeping combos flowing. Does the game balance this at all as the game goes by?

Areas could look a little nicer and after playing a lot of Kiseki there's absolutely no reason why Tales games shouldn't have a retry option in battles. Having to stop at every save point and take 30-60 seconds to save even though your doing fine just on the off chance that you get killed later on is lame. Would probably only save like once an hour or two if it had a retry option.

Really, really like the story. So refreshing for a jrpg. I'm completely tired after 30 years of rpg-ing of playing the story of some dumb kid who gets involved in a grand adventure with their friends. I like the fact that right from the start you're playing as an energetic positive super-human dude whose dream is to be the real jesus and becomes jesus and goes around getting followers of jesus to go on his jesus quest to explore the world and save everyone. It's like starting with endgame rpg story characters where they accept that they're powerful, all the NPCs around them accept that they're powerful and hook them up with free stuff and praise, and you know what you're doing. The huge lack of emo-ness is pretty great even if the main dude is still kind of Tales naive/clueless, but at least he's positive and optimistic!

The other characters are pretty good too and no one's annoying.

Battle system is cool in that Kamui takes Graces system and gives even more movelist options to your main controlled character. But like I just said, unless there's a balance for Kamui characters being ridiculously OP and making it pointless to use normal Sorey or anyone else, then that's kind of a big flaw.

There could be more stuff to do in the fields like Xenoblade (or more like FFXII but with 1/100th the budget), but I like the big feel of them. Feels much better than Xillia because Xillia just felt like big empty fields with nothing to do an a boring battle system and segmented towns and like no dungeons. At least Zestiria has somewhat map design fields, and dungeons (even if they're bland) and a battle system that makes you want to keep getting in battles and fighting as much as possible. Tales has almost never really had good dungeon/map design. The best are the sorcerer ring puzzles in a couple of them, the worst is no dungeons like Xillia. So far these are just your normal generic Tales dungeons, shrug.

Music is great, best in a while for Tales series. Love the main field adventuring tune. Gets stuck in my head.

Not sure how I feel about the skill system as I haven't really gotten into it. Everything else seems fine. Don't mind the snack/food/item making sub-system and between that and inns, cooking is covered. Party chat while walking is great and it feels like there's enough chats in the game so far. Love that the visualization system has a bunch of stuff and you don't even have to pay DLC for it, it's just in the game! I like making Sorey look like hilariously dumb because it fits his goofy character :)

You know what, I don't like this game's opening. Most Tales games, I listen to the song sometimes when turning it on. This time, I don't want to hear it at all.

:mad: It's good! I'm the opposite! This is the first game in a while that's made me want to listen to the OP every time I start it. I love songs with na-na-na-na-nas :X

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Bebpo, boss battles have a retry option and it's hard to die in a normal encounter, so you don't have to save that often.

Bebpo

Banned
Bebpo, boss battles have a retry option and it's hard to die in a normal encounter, so you don't have to save that often.

Well. the only time I died was trying to fight the first purple glowing enemy I saw which I guess mean's they are OP enemies and come back later but I didn't know and there was no retry option so I figured the game was missing retries.

Aeana

Battle system is cool in that Kamui takes Graces system and gives even more movelist options to your main controlled character. But like I just said, unless there's a balance for Kamui characters being ridiculously OP and making it pointless to use normal Sorey or anyone else, then that's kind of a big flaw.

Well, you won't have enough BG to use kamui all the time, and it's honestly not always the best option, either, particularly since you're confined to a single element when you use it. The game isn't hard enough on normal for you to really be forced to use some of the cooler features of the battle system, though, so I recommend you turn it up at least to second. And this is from someone who usually hates difficulty options in RPGs. Things just die too quickly on normal.

Top Bottom