• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Import Thread - Turning Legends Into Hope

Datschge

Where my free Dark Souls DLC Namco?
Haha. I'm sure it wasn't planned to be free initially, but the public response is clearly a little negative atm to add to the fire... And I'm sure the sales are better than they expected internally.

Really? Inomata is a staple to Tales like Fujishima. Actually I think Graces has some of the best designs...
I honestly have to roll my eyes whenever people call Fujishima more important to the series than Inomata. Inomata was more often and more consistently involved in the series while Fujishima once got to do character designs after the fact replacing already existing ones just to have his famous name attached to it (Phantasia) and then nearly a decade later got to do designs for a couple "Team Symphonia" games.

Either way I really hope they go back to one single main character designer. The clashing styles isn't doing any single one of them a favor.

Sakura

http://zaveids.tumblr.com/post/109047131927/all-the-things-wrong-with-zestiria-and-some-more

Stumbled across this in Siliconera. Haven't read much of it, but I assume it's largely exaggeration? Can't imagine it as bad as the blog post described.
Mmm most of the complaints are valid. Though I haven't played most other Tales games so I can't really say it's worse or better than the other ones. I've only played through about half of it, but the shitty story, characters, and gameplay is a little too much for me, so I'm going to go sell it tomorrow while it is worth something.

Caj814

Alisha DLC story confirmed.
1,300 yen
QKCbMrl.gif

Kasumin

1,300 yen

I already got the impression from Xillia 2 that the series is going in a direction I didn't like, but wow. This has surpassed even my wildest dreams. I already know people who are trying to find out if the DLC is already on the disc or not.

This also reminds me of the situation with Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 in Japan. But at least in that case, EO fans voted with their wallets to show their dissatisfaction if what my friend told me is right.

I'm guessing most people won't mind this. And sure, Namco's done it before. But the DLC Mystic Artes already set a really bad precedent, and this is even worse. I only see Namco doing more DLC after this is the fan response isn't too negative.

I doubt we'll get this included in the NA version. Namco wants its money. The more I hear about this game, the more I feel inclined to wait until a price drop to get it in the US. But I guess I'll wait and see.

RalchAC

Where my free Dark Souls DLC Namco?

Really? Inomata is a staple to Tales like Fujishima. Actually I think Graces has some of the best designs...

I don't hate Inomata designs. But Fujishima bad designs are boring. When Inomata does a bad design you get something like Asbel. I'd rather have something boring that something weird that makes me use my preorder exclusive costume DLC

Tales of Graces designs aren't automatically bad, but there were some characters that looked like they were from another world there. In Zestiria some of its designs are weird, but they are good because the characters are Tenzoku.

That's my opinion.

Did you read the article ?
Unless I'm missing something, Famitsu is just directly quoting the tweet from Tales Channel.

I can't read Japanese. But Famitsu tracks Japanese sales so I thought it was that. If I was wrong and its Asia sales sorry.

Rpgmonkey

I wonder what this means for their usual cycle of doing a port/director's cut/sequel to fill in schedule gaps. I have no real interest in Alisha outside of her fighting style, but it's free apparently so whatever.

And my copy is still in mail limbo lol. It left Japan Friday I think and there hasn't been any updates on its status/location since. :/

Datschge

But Fujishima bad designs are boring. When Inomata does a bad design you get something like Asbel.
I actually like Asbel's design (aside the belts) so I guess I don't actually mind "bad" designs by Inomata. (See how that works with subjective tastes?)

I wonder what this means for their usual cycle of doing a port/director's cut/sequel to fill in schedule gaps.
The possibility for a port as next step increased. Then they can keep adding DLC to the existing game and release the port as complete version.

Finalow

so I'm assuming that it's free in the JP ps store, I can just download it there and still play the game + this dlc on my main (not JP) account, right? If not, whatever, I don't care that much and the less support this crap gets the better. it was fine as long as it was costumes and mystic artes, but now they're going for the full DLC road.
/I should also remember to wait before importing the next JoJo game, just to avoid to play half of the actual game.

Falk

that puzzling face
While all this is going down I'd like to remind people that I spent the $20 I had lying around on my PSN account since 2012 on 40 levels in Xillia 2.

I'm part of the problem.

You can send hate mail my way.

Finalow

While all this is going down I'd like to remind people that I spent the $20 I had lying around on my PSN account since 2012 on 40 levels in Xillia 2.

I'm part of the problem.

sure but you need to write your email address first

ヽ(´ー`)ノ

Soriku

I'm part of the problem.

What did you need 40 levels for? :x

Dark_castle

I'm part of the problem.

And many bought the horse armor. People make bad decisions from time to time. Moving on.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I'm part of the problem.

Falking dammit.

Falk

that puzzling face
What did you need 40 levels for? :x

Well

It was right before another busy VGO period.

I wanted to wrap up the plat before chucking gaming aside again for a few weeks, and had everything other than lv200.

I was lv160. Took it as a sign from heaven since it was so exact.

I regret everything :(

Well

It was right before another busy VGO period.

I wanted to wrap up the plat before chucking gaming aside again for a few weeks, and had everything other than lv200.

I was lv160. Took it as a sign from heaven since it was so exact.

I regret everything :(

BN just need one sale to justify that 5 minutes worth of coding .

Datschge

Guys, guys! There is a DLC thread now and you keep going on about it here? Meanwhile I get to read Aeana's latest import impression in the DLC thread instead. Dx

Aizo

Banned
The tools I wrote for Tales of Xillia way back when (back when everybody quoted me in news stories saying Xillia had localization potential due to the multi-language support in the datafiles) work with a very slight modification with this game's files, which means I have (most of) the text extracted. I have a preliminary viewer tool that will allow searching the text and copying it to the clipboard which I made for a friend long ago to use as an aid to look up kanji more easily while playing Tales of Xillia as well, but it's only useful for people who are able to type Japanese, obviously. I've never released anything like this before -- it's just something I do because I like the challenge of reverse-engineering stuff -- but if those who are actually playing it think it would be useful to them, I'm willing to do so, with the caveat that I don't really plan to offer a lot of support for this stuff.

So yeah, if anyone's interested, I'll throw the stuff up somewhere. If not, that's cool too.
I'm interested

Aizo

Banned
Am I the only who still hasn't got the game? I'm not sure it'll be out for delivery tomorrow either... oh, well.

TiX7hMm.gif
mine hasn't arrived, either. Sucks 'cause I was sick the past three days, so I didn't have to go to work. Now, I am working again, so I'll hardly get to play when it does arrive.
I provided a link a couple of pages back. Look for the post where I say "quote this post."
Thanks! Still catching up with the thread.

R0ckman

http://zaveids.tumblr.com/post/109047131927/all-the-things-wrong-with-zestiria-and-some-more

Stumbled across this in Siliconera. Haven't read much of it, but I assume it's largely exaggeration? Can't imagine it as bad as the blog post described.

Damn, I KNEW things would get this bad because the fanbase didn't stand up to anything, they HAPPILY bought the costume packs. Now we apparently have to pay for skits?

Oh..man, and I loved the character deisgns in this game too... They were some of the best the series had in decades... Right up there with the original games like Destiny and Phantasia.

Aeana

Damn, I KNEW things would get this bad because the fanbase didn't stand up to anything, they HAPPILY bought the costume packs. Now we apparently have to pay for skits?

Oh..man, and I loved the character deisgns in this game too... They were some of the best the series had in decades... Right up there with the original games like Destiny and Phantasia.

You don't have to pay for skits. The skit DLC is all free.

Datschge

No, the skit DLCs are free, and you should feel bad for reading that huge spoiler rage page even though people repeatedly warn about it.

Edit: Beaten. Aeana, please post your current impressions here as well, please, please. ^^

1,300 yen

lol

It seems they're actually giving it for free in Japan for in a limited way? Don't know, just used google.

From Tales channel Twitter.

They also shared this.

B8W16CcCQAA_zSX.jpg:large

What a nice hat.

https://twitter.com/tales_ch/status/560053745573064705

20th anniversary campaign: Free sequel DLC delivery (the translation is distribution/transmission and not meant as an actual delivery, so the item itself should be free) (アリーシャアフターエピソード瞳にうつるもの) between February 12th and 28th. Normally it's 1300円.

Saw someone linking it earlier but without proper translation.

Sounds like we're sorry about Alisha, here have her DLC for free.

And my copy is still in mail limbo lol. It left Japan Friday I think and there hasn't been any updates on its status/location since. :/

My copy still hasn't left Japan yet! My last item hopefully comes out tomorrow and finally AmiAmi will ship my order.

I'm part of the problem.

I buy copious amount of costume DLC. X)

You don't have to pay for skits. The skit DLC is all free.

I can't remember, are the skit DLC free for a limited time or free forever. I thought I saw something about them being free for a limited period.

R0ckman

Haha. I'm sure it wasn't planned to be free initially, but the public response is clearly a little negative atm to add to the fire... And I'm sure the sales are better than they expected internally.

I honestly have to roll my eyes whenever people call Fujishima more important to the series than Inomata. Inomata was more often and more consistently involved in the series while Fujishima once got to do character designs after the fact replacing already existing ones just to have his famous name attached to it (Phantasia) and then nearly a decade later got to do designs for a couple "Team Symphonia" games.

Either way I really hope they go back to one single main character designer. The clashing styles isn't doing any single one of them a favor.

I LOVE Inomata's designs...

Rpgmonkey

How many designs did Fujishima contribute in Zestiria?

Just two I think. Sorey and Rose.

Unless this is a sentiment that's been building up over several games and Zestiria was just the breaking point, I'm not entirely sure what makes them so awful that people are harassing him.

Seems like there's a segment of the fanbase that's really flipping out over this game...

R0ckman

Just two I think. Sorey and Rose.

Unless this is a sentiment that's been building up over several games and Zestiria was just the breaking point, I'm not entirely sure what makes them so awful that people are harassing him.

Seems like there's a segment of the fanbase that's really flipping out over this game...

I believe it is this, some people were not too happy with his XIllia work.

Honestly my wife was watching me play Xillia and was complaining about Jude looking too generic, also said the same thing about Sorey when she was watching me look at info on that.

Mieu

The DLC skits for Graces f are free. It was mainly comedic skits. Kanitama etc.

That Alicia DLC is just.... not right. I'm not supporting that paid content. As if the swimsuits, job classes, school costumes are not enough?!!! Tales going downhill LOL

Inomata's design will just grow on you. Just stare at Ruca Milda and Asbel...

Aeana

It's actually the Tales of Eternia designs that made me love Inomata. Her compositions in that art book are something special.

Mieu

l

OT let me look for that artbook. i'm always having a hard time looking for those official tales artbooks. I only have the Graces F that came with the R2 release.

Destiny was also Inomata's ?

Any news on joke weapons and ex dungeons?

RalchAC

I actually like Asbel's design (aside the belts) so I guess I don't actually mind "bad" designs by Inomata. (See how that works with subjective tastes?)

I understand that tastes are subjective. I put Asbel as an example because I don't like it and it seemed I'm not the only one for what I read here on GAF.

But you'd agree that Fujishima's designs are usually more "grounded" while Inomata sometimes likes to make weirder stuff. That's the reason why I find weird there is a backslash against the former.

You get a backslash when something is "controversial". Fujishima's design usually "play it safe" as oposed to Inomata. That's why I found it weird that there is soooo many people complaining at Twitter.

It actually depends on the game I guess. I like the character designs in Tales of Hearts even if they're quite weird compared to villagers, for example. Same with Eternia.

A good example of the difference between the 2 is Xillia. You have Jude and Milla. You may not like Jude, but Milla and her default outfit would be by far the most controversial of those two.

That was what I wanted to say. I wasn't trying to say my opinion = fact :p

The possibility for a port as next step increased. Then they can keep adding DLC to the existing game and release the port as complete version.

Honest question. Can you "buy" Alisha's DLC during the free window even if you don't own the game? That has worked some times to me

Honest question. Can you "buy" Alisha's DLC during the free window even if you don't own the game? That has worked some times to me

Yes, this works for all the time limited free DLC. Download first, play it sometime later.

Unless they do something silly like making it only available through the game (which I don't think any PS3 game is like that) or something.

RalchAC

Yes, this works for all the time limited free DLC. Download first, play it sometime later.

Unless they do something silly like making it only available through the game (which I don't think any PS3 game is like that) or something.

The idea is probably to frontload sales so Bamco gets the max revenue per sale posible.

But if you don't need to have the game to "buy" that DLC it's not that bad.

Rhapsody

Banned

And that's why Idolmaster only has DLC that you can only buy inside the game and can't be accessed elsewhere.

As if they handed out free im@s DLC lol

Top Bottom