• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Stuart444

Lol OMG
Zavied even stole a personal battle line from Dezel and the way he said it even implies that: "I'LL protect you Rose!"
This guy has no shame. It feels like he's walking on the edge of the fourth wall.

I've only seen
Zavied once when you first meet and battle him but he seems like the type of guy that would say stuff like that. Without caring lol. Shouldn't be too big a surprise with his personality lol.

Turn on Auto-Sidestep.

I've avoided all the auto- battle actions just because I don't like the sound of them.

That may seem weird since I use semi-auto but tbf, in this game semi-auto is probably a really really good thing due to the camera (when it messes up, I just mash attack so I know I'm auto running to the enemy and not missing any attacks. MP Camera is just so bad but we're dealing with it lol)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished the main story.

Before the story question, can someone please tell me if this game has a post-game dungeon, and where it might be located ?

Story question

Is that supposed to be Mikleo with long hair in the post-post-credits scene ? and is the implication that Sorrey has turned into a Seraphim as well ? Also I missed the name on the grave in the mid-credits scene, was it supposed to be Rose's or Mayven's ?

and as bad as Sorrey's character is, he definitely redeemed himself and turned into a bad ass for the very final fight and what happens after it, I guess it really helped that I had him in Yuri's black outfit, which looks a 100 times better than his white-poncho ting.

and before I start it, does Alisha's DLC start with stock levels/equipment or does my end-game stuff carry over? If it's the latter I would definitely give the post-dungeon a try first.

zakujanai

Finished the main story.

Before the story question, can someone please tell me if this game has a post-game dungeon, and where it might be located ?

Story question

Is that supposed to be Mikleo with long hair in the post-post-credits scene ? and is the implication that Sorrey has turned into a Seraphim as well ? Also I missed the name on the grave in the mid-credits scene, was it supposed to be Rose's or Mayven's ?

and as bad as Sorrey's character is, he definitely redeemed himself and turned into a bad ass for the very final fight and what happens after it, I guess it really helped that I had him in Yuri's black outfit, which looks a 100 times better than his white-poncho ting.

and before I start it, does Alisha's DLC start with stock levels/equipment or does my end-game stuff carry over? If it's the latter I would definitely give the post-dungeon a try first.

It's definitely Mikleo, wasn't really paying attention towards the end but they said something about sealing away Sorey with Heldalf for some reason while they cleared away Moatelus' malevolence from the earth. They said it could take a few years or centuries so I just assumed this was Mikleo unsealing him.

Hard to say, depends how many
Iris Gems
you've collected so far. Took me about 8 hours from the end of the trials but I did tire of the backtracking and rushed through it a bit. So much so that I couldn't beat the end boss.

I see. I'm not that far off then.
Trials spoilers..
Anyway, is the game kinda telling me that I have to do the trials in a particular order? Because I can enter the earth shrine, but can't even come close to the wind one. The wind shrine's zone domain is too strong. However, the weird thing is that enemies' level in earth shrine zone are way above me (almost 10 levels), while in wind shrine zone, it's around my level (38) after googling it a bit. Is it supposed to be like this?

According to this thread the PC version uses Securom:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1129685&page=2

I think that's worth mentioning in the OP, especially since Steam doesn't mention it on the game's page, so PC owners that don't wanna support this become aware of it.

I don't really understand securom, but so far I haven't felt my game is gimped in any way because of that.

zakujanai

Trials spoilers..
Anyway, is the game kinda telling me that I have to do the trials in a particular order? Because I can enter the earth shrine, but can't even come close to the wind one. The wind shrine's zone domain is too strong. However, the weird thing is that enemies' level in earth shrine zone are way above me (almost 10 levels), while in wind shrine zone, it's around my level (38) after googling it a bit. Is it supposed to be like this?

I don't really understand securom, but so far I haven't felt my game is gimped in any way because of that.

Have you reinstated a Lord of the land for that area? It was either that, or doing the earth trial first that made it possible to get to the other. I'm not sure which since I did both before trying again.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Trials spoilers..

Regarding spoiler tag

the game makes it seem like you can do them in any order, but they wall off areas with the 'high malevolence' purple zones where you're constantly taking damage, so it's highly inadvisable to go there.

Like for example, an area called The Great Camelot Bridge, which leads to a new zone with a few towns and valleys was completely walled off until like WAY later because the bridge was extremely high malevolence till i crossed a certain story threshold. I couldn't finish a few side quests i was well under way because I couldn't get past it.

IIRC the order I did them in were Fire -> Water -> Earth -> Wind depending on location availability and how the story was steering me.

Yeah, me either. Feel a little upset because I'm about 30 hours in so now it sinks in that I won't have a lot of grade for the store once I finish the game.

So glad I haven't done a ton of grinding though, then I'd really be upset with myself.

Yeah, thankfully I haven't had much time to play so I'm only 5 hours in and haven't missed out on a whole lot of grade, but I just better remember to turn off those autos when I get a chance to play again.

Bladenic

Is it me or are the mystic arte voiceovers hard to hear a bit? I've only used Soulstoke Celebration and Silent Apocalypse but they're a bit hard to hear, especially Alisha's opening line "It's over"

Crevox

Kind of curious of others opinion on party members, here's mine (ignoring armatization). There are very minor spoilers, but don't read ahead if you don't want your opinion skewed. :p I'm close to the end of the game and have been playing on Chaos difficulty:

Edna/Lailah > Dezel >>>>>>> Mikleo

I think everyone here is pretty good with the exception of Mikleo. For some reason he just seems not very good
awful
. His martial artes are pretty bad, and his spells seem like the worst of the bunch. Their damage is low, and their overall concept and control is just poor. His heal gives the least useful stat (Arte Defense) and enemies seem weak to water the least out of all the elements. Everything about him just seems subpar, regardless if you're actually playing as him or he's an AI. Even his field action is the least useful. I avoid using him whenever possible, because he definitely just seems noticeably worse than the other party members. It's also quite annoying how they glue him into your party after so many cutscenes and before battles.
He also has the worst temple

Dezel is slightly below the others, but he's not bad or anything. His gearing options seem kinda poor, often giving him bad stat choices on his hats and pendulums, and they seem more rare than other equipment. Besides that, his spells are still much better than Mikleo's, but not as good as the other two. There's nothing really wrong with him, and his Focus buff is actually extremely potent and noticeable. His martial artes seem a little wonky, though.

I would say Edna is in a very good spot. Her martial artes are very good, seemingly the best of the seraphim. Her "time delayed artes" are a bit wonky, but if you actually bother to take the time to cast them and trigger them, they are rewarding. Her normal spell line is amazing, with Air Pressure being a very very good spell, and Final Embrace being great as well. Barrier is a potent physical defense buff, but a weaker heal compared to the rest of the seraphim. This is actually a weak point of her, but it gives resolved when she learns Healing Circle, which is an amazing heal. Overall, she is in my opinion the best of the four, with great spells, physical artes, and flexibility.

Lailah is pretty much on the same tier. Her spells are great, offering great AoE and easy staggering/comboing. Her heal is also very good, providing a potent arte attack buff on top of a chunk of SC. The only really bad part about her is how slow her martial artes can be. None of them are bad, and some of them are very good, but some of them can be quite slow, making it difficult to combo or keep enemies under control. Her powerful spells (especially in close range) sort of make up for this, though.

For armatization, I think they are all great with the exception of wind. I'm not at the end of the game yet, and am still missing one spell for it, but it seems really bad. Am I missing something here? Its martial artes are so clunky and weak. It can be difficult to combo with due to the odd movements it makes you do, and the amount of recovery on its attacks. A lot of the attacks leave you in odd positions. The spells are just horrible thus far, basically unusable except for the third one, which while alright, is still questionable, especially with how the martial artes work. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but I use this form the least, because it just seems like a downgrade compared to the rest.

Finished the main story.

Story question

Yeah that'd be Mikleo and Sorey. Presumably Maotelos was fully de-malevolence and humanity reached a point of low enough malevolence that Sorey was able to detach himself. Also he probably ascended to becoming a Seraphim like how other Shepards had done so. And that would probably be Rose's grave since those Scattered Bones twins and all the party seraphim were there.
The post game dungeon is located
up the stairs from the final save point and just before the door to the final boss area.
Alisha DLC doesn't carry over any gear from the main game. You can load a main game clear file to get some extra stuff and use the NG+ grade shop though.

For armatization, I think they are all great with the exception of wind. I'm not at the end of the game yet, and am still missing one spell for it, but it seems really bad. Am I missing something here? Its martial artes are so clunky and weak. It can be difficult to combo with due to the odd movements it makes you do, and the amount of recovery on its attacks. A lot of the attacks leave you in odd positions. The spells are just horrible thus far, basically unusable except for the third one, which while alright, is still questionable, especially with how the martial artes work. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but I use this form the least, because it just seems like a downgrade compared to the rest.

I found spamming Wind Armatization's Right Martial art string to be especially potent. I would guard a bit, sidestep and the last two bits of the string and it would be just as effective as doing the same with Fire or Earth Armatization.

Koozek

Watching a LP, right now, and I swear the main character's VA must be Prompto's in FFXV. I almost thought a video of Episode Duscae was playing in the background, lol. The goofy way he says some of the lines is 100% Prompto.

Stuart444

So just got Rose...

I like Rose but the way handling of
Alisha being one was very abrupt as was the sudden asking of Rose to join the party. I can see why some people would be angry over it. I am a bit annoyed myself. But mainly at the handling of it in-game.

Also the boss I just faced annoyed me. Trying to MA him by leaving my armatus form and then suddenly death... several times. ;_;

We won but the grade I lost from using items :(

Whizkid7

Just started this last night and put about 4 hours in. Mikleo's already cracking me up. Battle system's taking a bit to get used to but I like very much so far. Must...play...more...need...fix...

tauke

So just got Rose...

Alisha being one was very abrupt as was the sudden asking of Rose to join the party. I can see why some people would be angry over it. I am a bit annoyed myself. But mainly at the handling of it in-game.

Also the boss I just faced annoyed me. Trying to MA him by leaving my armatus form and then suddenly death... several times. ;_;

We won but the grade I lost from using items :(

I just got Rose in the party too and there is already a skit that reference
Alisha leaving the party and Rose being the "princess" replacement lol.

So far I enjoyed playing on Hard difficulty against normal enemies as Moderate is easy IMO.

Also the wind movement skills that allows you to move faster after defeating an enemy is a much needed skill to navigate the barren low poly landscape...

massoluk

Banned
After like 20 tries and wasted all my gel, I finally completed Lailah's crucible. And may I never have to experience such agony ever again.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
So just got Rose...

I just got Rose in the party too and there is already a skit that reference
Alisha leaving the party and Rose being the "princess" replacement lol.
Yeah it's way more self-aware than I expected, it's so blatant that it's kind of hilarious in a way. I almost gasped when
I saw all of Alisha's outfits in Rose's Fashion menu
, lol.

Mendrox

Water temple is the easiest dungeon ever... if you open your eyes. Also very very short if you rush through it.

Edit: I still will never forget that last eye that can take you before the final door. My friend was so angry when he got spotted lol

Just cleared the
fire temple
. Been playing on hard but having trouble keeping the party alive so am getting fuck all for grade. Are you expected to just burst them down from the beginning? I'm also awful at keeping a combo going.

Crevox

Just cleared the
fire temple
. Been playing on hard but having trouble keeping the party alive so am getting fuck all for grade. Are you expected to just burst them down from the beginning? I'm also awful at keeping a combo going.

Orient more defensive stats for your party members, at least as much as you think is necessary. The AI cannot block, so they need it in the case they get hit (often). Just having them survive is usually much better than offensive stats, because if their health stays up, they will attack more often.

Besides that, keeping enemies staggered is important so they won't attack your AI and then you can combo. Comboing is a lot easier if you abuse the enemy's weaknesses, as power hits will stagger enemies for longer and do more damage. Also remember that if you do the same attacks repeatedly, they will stagger the enemy for less time. Once you start getting a good combo going on an enemy, telling your AI to focus/charge with the right stick will make them temporarily ignore SC and just push to keep the combo going.

Just set aside some time to re-evaluate your party's equipment. Equipment means a lot in this game, and level doesn't mean as much.

I got up to the point where Rose joins the party yesterday and felt like finally commenting on something I've noticed about the story in general so far.

The game's plot has been incredibly simple but for the moment I don't really mind it. I'm really liking Sorey and the rest of the cast, but there's something about how the plot's being handled that also sticks out to me. I'm not sure how to describe it, but the game's story seems very relaxed and confident in itself. It seems to be acting like it's just as familiar with its own storytelling tropes as the player is. In other games there would be certain obvious reveals that the story and characters spend a long time dwelling on. In Zestiria's case, though, the party's initial reaction usually seems to be "Okay then!" before quickly moving on.

One section that weirdly stood out for me in a similar regard was the attack at the border. In pretty much any other Tales game the threat of war would be a more important subject matter and the party would try to prevent it from happening or openly fight in the war without much hesitation. In Zestiria's case, though, the battle is sort of just a background event. The party knows that Hyland is run by jackasses while essentially knowing next to nothing about Roland. The only reason Sorey considers fighting at first is to protect the town by the border before being told that he would probably kill at least as many people as he would save. It's kind of refreshing how none of the cast really cares about the power struggle between the two countries. Even though they eventually decide to fight, it's due to being personally blackmailed instead of some grander sense of trying to end the war quickly or fend off an enemy nation.

None of this stuff is anything huge on its own, but so far these types of small details have been starting to add up for me.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm about two hours in and liking it far more than Graces, Hearts, or Xillia so far. Bad reviews can suck it
so far

I'm about two hours in and liking it far more than Graces, Hearts, or Xillia so far. Bad reviews can suck it
so far

I'm nowhere close to finishing Zestiria but so far I'd probably say the opening hours were the weakest section of the game for me. Zestiria starts off faster than Graces but it feels kind of slow to me after playing the Xillia duo. Xillia 2 might have spoiled me, though, since I generally loved that game's opening section.

demidar

Lailah is just Pascal. Dash in, cast Pyrogenic Ring to stagger foes, then Blitz Bomb for AoE damage and stagger then Flame Vortex over and over for the kill. It pretty much locks down entire groups of enemies.

The Battle Action that gives your first forward dash is invaluable to interrupting spellcasting while Armatized since it's quick and counts as a martial arte.

R0ckman

Man I love Zaveid, he's everything I want in a playboy character! How does he rank in Japanese popularity? This guy could give Zelos a run for his money.

If you cast a certain move (can't remember its name) he says something different if its female.

Female: Why don't you let your gaurd down!
Male: You might feel a slight numbness.

Other moves where I only heard the female version -

-"Hope ya kiss me back!"
-There was another one too but can't remember clearly what he says calls them sweetie or something.

Fuck Lailahs crucible this is utter bullshit. Everything is tolerable until the 3 fucking wolves, how the hell are you supposed to survive that shit. On top of that the camera is retarded and sticks to one enemy while I'm dashing trying to survive, it's so stupid.

I think I figured out Lailah a bit.

Her martial artes are still kind of bad. But her Seraphic Artes are where you need to focus. You need to find an opportunity to chain cast her seraphic artes.

Like dodging a few times to build up reduced cast time bonus then use Blast Bomb (I think that's it, it's the higher arte that creates a huge multi hit explosion around Lailah.

When you're getting surrounded charge this up, wait for enemies to get close then let it rip, immediately after the cast charge up another one for even faster casting time. The point is to use the explosion to keep enemies away while dealing damage, you can end your cast with the higher arte (can't remember the name) that fires 3 slow meteors at your target. You can use this to set up at another position. In situations where you don't have multiple enemies crawling up your behind you can focus on your ranged seraphic artes. In team situations I'm not sure what purpose her martial artes will be, maybe if the enemy is resistant to all your seraphic artes.

Anyway, that's what I think of her currently, compared to my post earlier where I was pretty harsh.

In short, Lailah's strength lies in chaincasting those seraphic artes for keeping enemies off of her and hitting enemies at long rage. Do not ignore chain casting.

Jolkien

Just finished... once again another jrpg that fumble the ending. It's terrible.

Rest of the game was pretty good, really strong soundtrack. I hated the gear system, the armatization was well executed. Maybe a bit too strong.

zakujanai

Are you serious!? I'm at the
Trial of Water
and never knew this. No wonder I couldn't get the 50 Grade trophy no matter how hard I tried.

I had it in for the entire game. Still managed to get the trophy for 50 grade but it might explain why I had so much trouble levelling lords of the land.

Dude Guy

Dark Turtlez PLS

KPKSOBo.png

Whizkid7

Yeah, thankfully I haven't had much time to play so I'm only 5 hours in and haven't missed out on a whole lot of grade, but I just better remember to turn off those autos when I get a chance to play again.

...This is good to know. I guess I should turn that stuff off. I would rather do it manually anyway.

MSMrRound

Would be nice if some of the posters here can mark their spoilers a bit more clearly...e.g [party member spoiler]
Alisha leaves
or something. was looking up fusing tips and BAM!, came across a seraphim party member spoiler that's relatively mid to late game...

...welp....thanks.

R0ckman

Would be nice if some of the posters here can mark their spoilers a bit more clearly...e.g [party member spoiler]
Alisha leaves
or something. was looking up fusing tips and BAM!, came across a seraphim party member spoiler that's relatively mid to late game...

...welp....thanks.

What is the policy on spoilers? All Tales party members are revealed in official magazines and media before the game releases even in Japan. Typically the only thing that is hidden is whether or not the party members shown are permanent. However, because people are growing more and more upset from these things we will probably get less and less character deaths, leaves, betrayals in Tales games. Dolls really should become a staple.

As someone who enjoyed graces and xillia 1, but slightly enjoyed xillia 2 and feeling fatigue afterwards would you guys recommend zestiria?

The things I enjoyed in graces and xillia being asbel and Jude's quest for self betterment.

Trying to decide between this and dq heroes.

Top Bottom