• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Got to Pendrago and I think I might be way underleveled.
I went through a cave and fought a griffin that is a good 10 levels above me(34, I think it was). I beat him but the enenmies in the area are doing a ton of damage to me, and even in the cave they were ~31 while me party is 22-23. Should I be way higher by now?

Dice//

Banned
Well I think Im near the end either way I hate Sorey annoys the hell out of me. I liked Reid Hershel the most of the the tales MCs.

I love Reid! His constant complaining and yearning for his simple life seemed relatable in some ways. But then he had that 11th hour heroism kick in. I liked him! Powerful as hell too.

I went through a cave and fought a griffin that is a good 10 levels above me(34, I think it was). I beat him but the enenmies in the area are doing a ton of damage to me, and even in the cave they were ~31 while me party is 22-23. Should I be way higher by now?

story cave or optional cave?
just got to Pendrago and my party except poor Lailah cause death is lv 27

SaintZ

Wait, hey now (Lastonbell guardian of the land side quest spoilers):

Did the party just kill a small girl and her dog? Or am I misunderstanding things here? Also, why is that Serpah just casually walking in, kinda telling in a monotone voice it might be her fault and going back to blessing duty without much further thought? This was such an odd turn of events. And the fight was hard as well, had to drop to moderate for the first time. The difference in difficulty was quite something.
Yes they killed the girl and the dog. Did you miss the first part of the sidequest? The Seraph fled the town because of bullying or something(I think? I wasn't paying a lot of attention lol). You were supposed to search for her in one cave where she refused to return to Lastonbell.

You know what else the game doesn't explain properly?
How Rose can use the armatus. The best they could come up with is having the affinity for it, when it was established as something only the Shepherd could do (I think). A mess.

It was because Dezel had been posssessing her for years which gave her resonance on par with the Shepherd allowing her to use armatus.

Has anyone on PC been using sweetfx for this game?
I'm looking for a not too bright/crisp version, but most of them are just too bright & colorful for my taste.

Crevox

Level means very little in this game. Level gives you a very small of stats, while equipment and skills is the majority. If you're feeling like you're having trouble, this should be your focus.

Also, comparing your level to the enemy's is not a good way to measure things. If you're playing on anything above normal, it's usually the case that the enemies are higher level than you.

On Chaos difficulty, I was fighting things that are level 100-160 when I was only level 50. Now I'm 59 and fighting level 182 enemies. Doesn't really matter.

Zafir

That's about what level I was and I didn't really have too much trouble on the normal mobs. The griffin and the boss after really didn't like my party members though. I could stay alive fairly easily, but the AI was utterly useless on both and I had to babysit them with the stick commands.

Ironically, the boss after that was as easy as hell and I hadn't grinded or done any side stuff between them. So I'm not even sure if it was being underlevelled, or whether the game has a bizarre difficulty curve.

Either way if I am underlevelled, I'm not entirely sure how I ended up that way, considering I'd done all the side stuff I'd found, and I'd been exploring every area.

Edit: Hmm I suppose difficulty is a factor. You get less experience on higher difficulties.

tauke

I'm looking for a not too bright/crisp version, but most of them are just too bright & colorful for my taste.

Try lowering down the saturation value. Also a link to the SweetFX config at Pastebin so I can have a look and suggest which settings to tweak.

Generally the look of the game is fine to me and I use ReShade/SweetFX mainly for SMAA injector.

Try lowering down the saturation value. Also a link to the SweetFX config at Pastebin so I can have a look and suggest which settings to tweak.

Generally the look of the game is fine to me and I use ReShade/SweetFX mainly for SMAA injector.

Yes, that's actually my main purpose of using sweetfx as well, the SMAA injector. I guess I'll have to look at the settings later then.

Hikami

I've been using these settings someone posted on the steam forums
http://pastebin.com/3pZp5ngU

<Off | On>
1E293117190EEDCDE7179A676A993E7CB0B0CBA6
EBEDCB4F467354E725DECACC1954485E09C867C6

Not sure what you consider too bright & colorful but, it looks pretty subtle to me.

bobohoro

Yes they killed the girl and the dog. Did you miss the first part of the sidequest? The Seraph fled the town because of bullying or something(I think? I wasn't paying a lot of attention lol). You were supposed to search for her in one cave where she refused to return to Lastonbell.

The girl was the one being bullied because she told the people that there is no Seraph enshrined in the sancturay. The Seraph Sandris(sp?) used the town bells as a vessel and fled because she was sick of humans. Leaving her supposed friend/believer the girl Margareth behind. And then she just went back like nothing ever happened, nobody even gets mad at her for leaving the poor girl behind. And why the hell did they kill her, all the other Hellions were purified. And why did noone inform the parents? They are still waiting for the daughter to return home while our party is happily spending their nights at their inn. Probably in the same room where the mother is lamenting the disapperance of her child. Everything about this sidequest is pretty whack.

Dugna

The girl was the one being bullied because she told the people that there is no Seraph enshrined in the sancturay. The Seraph Sandris(sp?) used the town bells as a vessel and fled because she was sick of humans. Leaving her supposed friend/believer the girl Margareth behind. And then she just went back like nothing ever happened, nobody even gets mad at her for leaving the poor girl behind. And why the hell did they kill her, all the other Hellions were purified. And why did noone inform the parents? They are still waiting for the daughter to return home while our party is happily spending their nights at their inn. Probably in the same room where the mother is lamenting the disapperance of her child. Everything about this sidequest is pretty whack.

Wait did they really kill the kid and the dog? I thought they just purified it and went on with their lives while the kid and dog where just passed out from the fight.

Papercuts

Level means very little in this game. Level gives you a very small of stats, while equipment and skills is the majority. If you're feeling like you're having trouble, this should be your focus.

Also, comparing your level to the enemy's is not a good way to measure things. If you're playing on anything above normal, it's usually the case that the enemies are higher level than you.

On Chaos difficulty, I was fighting things that are level 100-160 when I was only level 50. Now I'm 59 and fighting level 182 enemies. Doesn't really matter.

I've been on moderate and yeah, I've been phoning it with the skills/equipment stuff since I haven't really understood it. But I guess I should actually figure out what I'm doing, lol.

MechaX

Man, I pretty much hated each and every Tales opening theme since Abyss (well, I guess Xillia 2's was ok), and with my luck, they go back to instrumental stuff at the one theme I actually really liked.

Papercuts

Man, I pretty much hated each and every Tales opening theme since Abyss (well, I guess Xillia 2's was ok), and with my luck, they go back to instrumental stuff at the one theme I actually really liked.

But the Vesperia opening is so good.

kiryogi

Banned
Wait did they really kill the kid and the dog? I thought they just purified it and went on with their lives while the kid and dog where just passed out from the fight.

I've been trying to figure this out too.

Sindra also comments when you talk to her that she prays for Margaret's Mother. D: ?

Any tips for fighting (last boss spoilers)
Kamui Heldarf
?
I He knock him down three times, but I have can't knock him down the fourth and last time with the the gun(L1) since he fully charges his blast and killing me instantly. I use all-divide, but that doesn't work. I'm using simple difficulty

Edit: Checked Youtube for some tips for the last boss. I'm going to try this out :)

MotherFan

Ok I am starting to have issues with the ai dying all the time. It seems like they cant dodge, especially with spells. How is everyone keeping the ai up during boss fights?

R0ckman

Eh, don't really like the major climax of the game... It for some reason doesn't work well.

I still felt no sympathy for Heldalf, although he was not the only factor to the Age of Chaos, he arguably held the most human responsibility because of his position. Him taking the biggest penalty was fair judgement. You can tell the kind of man he was by the way he handled the curse, similar to what Dezel said to the girl on the tower. He cared mostly about his position and attention and when those were taken away he babied out and went hellion.

I could kind of relate to the Shepard though, the fact that he could really only do spiritual clean up and not really keep human politics and rulership in check kind made the Shepard system a complete waste of time and endless cycle.

To only trust his family and just finally snap from the political bull crap and his son being damaged, is completely understandable. The rule of the Shepard not getting involved in policing or moderatting politics is madness and forces him to do more work because its basically a hellion generator.

Yeah, the AI is just generally bad at defending themselves.
Putting the AI into defensive mode while you're dishing out the damage to bosses is one of the legit tactics in difficult encounters.

That implies you don't like Vesperia's theme. Which also implies you don't like Bonnie Pink. Which almost borders on blasphemy. :p

Seriously though, Ring a Bell and Karma were way good IMO. That instrumental BS we got for US Abyss made me sad.

Alright, only Tales game I played (and beat) was Symphonia but that was a decade ago, always thought if I tried another one I would probably not like it. Is this a good one to try or what? Hearing mixed things.

mrmyhthef

Alright, managed to put in a bunch of hours into the game over the weekend. I'm enjoying myself. Some quick, unsorted thoughts:
-I'm player 2 so I'm not gonna pretend to know what's happening with the equipment system. For some simple observations: seems confusing, and seems like most of the time new gear comes off as worse at face value, so you end up sticking with your old gear when the new stuff could potentially be better.
-Combat is fun. I'm not enough of an expert to pinpoint the changes but it feels like a slight step down from Graces, but still fine. Battles can feel too chaotic at times, even for a Tales game (due in no small part to the camera I'm sure). Also Rose's Dream Slasher seems absurdly good. Combo into it from a Fang Blade for big damage.
-I don't dislike a single character in the cast so far which is a massive plus (except for Alisha, bye). Glad they went that route with the token kid character, she's awesome.
-I'm sure it's been talked about to death already but the co-op battle camera is hilariously awful. Emphasis on hilarious. Got old real fast but it got some good laughs at first.
-Easily the most memorable Tales soundtrack in ages.

Overall, solid Tales game so far, feels about in line with the other PS3 entries. Looking forward to when it picks up since it's a little slow moving right now.

Falk

that puzzling face
Alright, only Tales game I played (and beat) was Symphonia but that was a decade ago, always thought if I tried another one I would probably not like it. Is this a good one to try or what? Hearing mixed things.

Considering the hit or miss nature for virtually every Tales entry for virtually every Tales fan, let alone one whose last completed Tales game was something from like 60 years ago, this is... a really hard question to answer.

Most that can really be pointed out are the common criticisms for the game - Bad camera, a skill/equip system that is rather non-permanent. Any more than that and the only person who can really judge is yourself.

That implies you don't like Vesperia's theme. Which also implies you don't like Bonnie Pink. Which almost borders on blasphemy. :p

Seriously though, Ring a Bell and Karma were way good IMO. That instrumental BS we got for US Abyss made me sad.

mechax has pretty poor taste in everything

Mendrox

It's different but every Tales of is different. I would go for vesperia in your case if you have a 360 or a cfw ps3. Otherwise go for Zestiria - the music will make you forget the failures and the characters are lovely :)

Reishiki

Banned
Any tips for fighting (last boss spoilers)
Kamui Heldarf
?
I He knock him down three times, but I have can't knock him down the fourth and last time with the the gun(L1) since he fully charges his blast and killing me instantly. I use all-divide, but that doesn't work. I'm using simple difficulty

Edit: Checked Youtube for some tips for the last boss. I'm going to try this out :)

Quoting from a couple of pages back for anyone else having issues:

For those getting wiped out by the final boss:
Target his arms while he's doing the cast animation, it'll stun him and allow you to hit with an Ultima arte. Use AI orders to help, and bear in mind each shot of Siegfried removes a Seraph from the party.

If you're still doing this and dying, well, I'm outta ideas.

Yeah, the AI is just generally bad at defending themselves.
Putting the AI into defensive mode while you're dishing out the damage to bosses is one of the legit tactics in difficult encounters.

Seconding this. I've gotten pretty good at letting them attack with me for a big burst of damage and then switching back to defense to recover.

Honestly, though, it wouldn't be so bad except that I've never been able to get the aggro-when-guarding skill to work correctly. Anyone got any ideas about that one?

PKrockin

Seconding this. I've gotten pretty good at letting them attack with me for a big burst of damage and then switching back to defense to recover.

Honestly, though, it wouldn't be so bad except that I've never been able to get the aggro-when-guarding skill to work correctly. Anyone got any ideas about that one?
I'm thinking it only activates if you actually block an enemy attack. All my sitting there like an idiot holding down block and waiting for an enemy to target me seems to be doing nothing.

The wolves in Lailah's crucible are preposterous and manipulating them to get a spellcasting window isn't consistent enough. Even with a three-dodge prep it's difficult to get a spell off before they machine gun me with attacks. I might have to come back later--only Lv20 right now.

Stuart444

Holy shit, I'm dead at the Lastonbell entrance scene. "I am but the son of a provincial lard."

Just saw this yesterday, laughed so hard at it haha. Also really enjoyed the fight
against Sergei after it. I died a few times though but that's cause my X button is almost dead and I kept trying to use it for my Shatterfang -> Higher Arte (forget the name) and failing because the button wouldn't register. (well apart from my first death. My first death was caused by not realizing after a certain amount of health he would start linking two artes at a time XD)

I'm sure it's been talked about to death already but the co-op battle camera is hilariously awful. Emphasis on hilarious. Got old real fast but it got some good laughs at first.

Yeah, it gets some good laughs but it is so annoying. Especially in narrow areas (ie
the building in Marlind, that one + the ruins after you get Rose were especially bad to me
).

Due to the way it works, if you're against an enemy and kill it, it then switches to the next enemy you auto target and if that is behind a wall then it's "Hello enemy/wall". Semi-auto does help somewhat since you can just hit the martial arte button and you'll run over to the enemy.

Also makes it harder for me and my partner to split our attacks among enemies like we usually do in Tales games so we tend to stick together except against range magic enemies (ie
those shadow enemies from that Marlind dungeon
) since their constant magic attacks can be killer if you're ignoring them for too long I find.

On the bright side, it makes comboing easier. Even got to see my partner perform Alisha's MA on the last boss before she leaves. That was awesome :D

Top Bottom